gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 12:21:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 9: Beacon Theatre - New York, NY - 5/8/12 (SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 114997 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2012, 08:57:50 AM »

1) Brian sounded good, real good, at the Beacon show.  3D
2) Stamos is 'oh-kay', let him be.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:21:02 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2012, 09:16:32 AM »

Foskett's shirt reminds me of some of Carl's suits from the 70s

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2012, 09:38:05 AM »

Source:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/10/arts/music/beach-boys-beacon-theater-music-review.html?ref=music

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2012, 09:42:58 AM »

Thanks for the reference - great stuff!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2012, 09:47:36 AM »

Question:

For those of you who went to this show (or any other....)

If you're sitting reasonably close to the stage (within 10 rows), but you're ALL the way to the right (like, where Bruce is), how hard is it to see Brian?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 09, 2012, 09:51:18 AM »

In the concert’s most touching moment Mr. Wilson sang “I Just Wasn’t Made for These Times,” a song from “Pet Sounds” about being an innovator who’s universally misunderstood: “Every time I get the inspiration to go change things around,” he sang, “No one wants to help me look for places where new things might be found.”

The chords and melody climbed, lingered, fell back; Mr. Wilson stayed with them, fighting his limitations, as the Beach Boys sang harmony. It was an aching memory and a heartbreaking vindication.
Wow......
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 09, 2012, 09:54:55 AM »

There should appear a book, dedicated to the reunion. It's more than worth it, folks.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 09, 2012, 10:01:03 AM »

There should appear a book, dedicated to the reunion. It's more than worth it, folks.
Great idea. Book (concert reviews, interviews, photos, etc.) + DVD of concert footage (also available separately) + bonus CD of selected concert performances (or the reunion LP).
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 09, 2012, 10:12:15 AM »

The "Forever" glitch last night was a travesty. It should be noted that some people on the stage weren't even aware of the problem until it was too late. It should have been wrapped up immediately and returned to later in the show. As far as Stamos, who's been at both shows I've caught thus far, it wouldn't be so grating if he wasn't such a distraction -- and it is EVERY TIME. There are two fantastic drummers trading off onstage and -- bar none -- every time Stamos gets behind the kit he's the worst of them. It makes the music worse. Playing standing up, the superfluous cymbal crashes, not listening, playing ahead of the beat, the endless hogging and hamming -- it's all SCHTICK. Any other musician would do their best, Stamos doesn't. It's a big goof. It wouldn't be so bad if his appearance was relegated to "Be True To Your School" and "Kokomo" -- if at all. But a whole mini-set on drums, then the faux guitar playing and the need to share a mic with EVERYONE -- it's tedious and frankly, poor showmanship 101. I can't begrudge him taking over the "Forever" vocal because the band was carrying on with NO ONE singing, but as my wife asked, "So, does he just come onstage and do whatever he wants???" I told her, "Yes."
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:16:45 AM by Howie Edelson » Logged
SG7
« Reply #109 on: May 09, 2012, 10:30:45 AM »

Ugh, I hope he doesn't show up at my show. He adds nothing to them. John Trolololo can go elsewhere.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: May 09, 2012, 10:35:11 AM »

Great idea. Book (concert reviews, interviews, photos, etc.) + DVD of concert footage (also available separately) + bonus CD of selected concert performances (or the reunion LP).

A friend of mine and I are making a fan-DVD collecting all the various videos and audio interviews, etc. 

- Jack Rieley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 09, 2012, 10:36:22 AM »

Am I the only one who misses the "gotta keep those lovin' good vibrations happening with YOU" part in GV? I loved that bit so much, as a part of the band connecting directly with the audience back in the Carl Wilson era.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 09, 2012, 10:39:52 AM »

That is a Brian thing; staying too close to the original versions in concert. I've only been to one Mike & Bruce show and I don't remember if they do that or not?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 09, 2012, 10:51:09 AM »

That is a Brian thing; staying too close to the original versions in concert. I've only been to one Mike & Bruce show and I don't remember if they do that or not?

Too close? It's one if the best records of all time.

The last thing it needs is a lame audience participation segment. There's a difference between connecting with fans and condescending to them.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 09, 2012, 10:55:39 AM »

Too close? It's one if the best records of all time.

The last thing it needs is a lame audience participation segment. There's a difference between connecting with fans and condescending to them.
What a snob! Emdeeh, there is your answer. We are longer allowed to have fun or participate in the celebration.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 09, 2012, 10:57:53 AM »

To those who cite the long history John Stamos has with the Beach Boys, he has NO connection to the recorded history of their music that's being celebrated and lovingly presented on this reunion tour. He's less talented musically than any back-line musician on this tour. When he's playing drums he makes the music worse...thanks Howie. He's honoring Dennis? Please. Dennis would have no patience for him. He is a distraction to the soul and depth of the Beach Boys greatness. Now if he dialed it back a bit, became the guy who comes out and gives them a big warm announcement as they take the stage, and maybe sat in on Kokomo because he was in that video...then yeah, that would be tasteful. The rest is just dreadful. Please John, if you love the Beach Boys, do the right thing. Show up, announce them with the enthusiasm of the fan you are...play congas on Kokomo to make a few of the girls happy. Stay out of the music.
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 09, 2012, 11:01:58 AM »

I noticed that when they were projecting the album covers behind the band, including live albums and compilations, they left out Summer In Paradise.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 09, 2012, 11:03:16 AM »

The only problem I have with Stamos is he comes off as irritatingly narcissistic.
craig29
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 09, 2012, 11:06:17 AM »

Stamos is a good guy. I didn't mind him out there. Overall, great show - some setlist.  From the lower balcony, I had trouble hearing the vocals. Did they have Mike and Brian down low?  They really got to turn those guys up. 
See you in White Plains!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2012, 11:07:52 AM »

To those who cite the long history John Stamos has with the Beach Boys, he has NO connection to the recorded history of their music that's being celebrated and lovingly presented on this reunion tour.
Unfortunately, that's not entirely true...

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2012, 11:09:32 AM »

I didn't mind John Stamos until last night. The last time I saw Mike & Bruce and he sat in with them, there were two kits, Cowsill on one and Stamos on the other. The only time Stamos was the only drummer when was Cowsill would go up to the front to sing a lead vocal. and that was at an outdoor show on the beach where the sound wasn't that good.

but watching the fine-tuned machine that is the Beach Boys 50th band in a good theater and then having to hear Stamos on drums, you can tell he's significantly less talented. there's a reason he's not a professional drummer.

and I really wish Brian or David had picked up the lead on Forever when the video went down.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2012, 11:15:36 AM »

A friend of mine and I are making a fan-DVD collecting all the various videos and audio interviews, etc. 

Can I be your new best friend?

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2012, 11:20:59 AM »

Yes, Mike and Bruce are doing the record-version too nowadays. No "...happenin' with you". I like that they trying to replicate the studio version as good as they can

Can I be your new best friend?

I haven't said it'll be any good  Wink  But I'll let you know when we're done (sometime after the reunion and celebration is over) or you just remind me.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:23:15 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 09, 2012, 11:23:28 AM »

To those who cite the long history John Stamos has with the Beach Boys, he has NO connection to the recorded history of their music that's being celebrated and lovingly presented on this reunion tour.
Unfortunately, that's not entirely true...

What I wrote is entirely true.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2012, 11:27:55 AM »

It's because it cheapens the whole thing like the cheerleaders did. Full House was a make believe show. There is no Uncle Jessie and serious fans don't need any pretend Beach Boys. We have David Marks (a true Beach Boy) there for real this time around, and a huge fantastic backing band. That should be more than enough to please any crowd.
It cheapens it in your own mind. Many fans who attend (paying most of the money) these shows have no isuues whatsoever with Stamos on stage. Also, as much as I agree with Andrew on most things here, I do not understand his stand on Stamos. As an historian of the band, you of all people should understand the marketing & advertising reasons for including Stamos these past 25 years or so. For people who don't like him, that's fine, don't like him. As their history shows, The Beach Boys do what they want, when they want, and very rarely stray from what works in their concert setting. For most fans who attend these shows, John Stamos is an added attraction that helps keep future fannies in the seats. I know one thing hanging around this place; hardcore fans are never happy. There always has to be something to bitch about; Stamos. Autotune, holograms (stuff that never happened), Brian too far side stage, etc.. I love coming here and learning, sharing the love of the music, reading these concert reviews, but the constant bemoaning of the same topics in thread after thread, after thread really wears thin. I'm done ranting, sorry I steered off-track. I'm glad those of you who attended the show had a great time. Awaiting my turn in another week and a half.

Stamos is an added attraction for most people who attend these shows?HuhHuh Really MOST people.

FYI, Stamos came along during the dark ages of the touring Beach Boys(IMO), when they were phoning it in and putting out crap like SIP. A time when many lifelong fans like myself became disillusioned, Denny was gone and it appeared Brian would never really be back. They had cheerleaders spoiling the songs and then Stamos. He added nothing then and he adds even less now. He is no "added attraction" of any sort and has never been a marketing help. How did his appearance in the Summer of Love video help that monstrosity? If you actually think a lot of women are going to attend a 50th year celebration of one of the greatest bands ever because a third rate actor who was cute on a show 20 years ago might show up and pound on the drums then.........................
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:45:16 AM by Paul J B » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx