gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 01:51:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 9: Beacon Theatre - New York, NY - 5/8/12 (SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 115002 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2012, 03:12:48 AM »

yeah I feel like the Beach Boys don't really owe Stamos anything anymore for the publicity they got from full house. its been like what, 20 years? this could be (and probably is) their last tour. He should respect that and let them close it down themselves without taking the spotlight.

What if the band invited him along?  Hey, it's their tour.  If they're cool with Uncle Jesse being there, why can't we?

But...but..."this tour is for the fans" (Al)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2012, 03:17:37 AM »

You guys need to respect Stamos. He's been touring with the group since the 80s - over twenty years! He sounds great, and sometimes sounds just like Dennis! I don't know why people complain. He's an important part of Beach Boys history, and if you make fun of him, you're just jealous.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 03:19:46 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2012, 03:35:20 AM »

People will like Stamos better after they see him live.

Give him a chance. Those that've seen him aren't that harsh on him

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2012, 03:40:43 AM »

IIFC, David Marks sang lead on Hawaii and not Surfin' Safari. Bruce sang lead on Wendy.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2012, 04:11:07 AM »

yeah I feel like the Beach Boys don't really owe Stamos anything anymore for the publicity they got from full house. its been like what, 20 years? this could be (and probably is) their last tour. He should respect that and let them close it down themselves without taking the spotlight.
You guys crack me up with the Stamos envy. I doubt anybody owes anyone anything. He is there because one or more of them want him there. Also, someone further up in the thread mentioned Cowsill being irritated with Stamos. Far from the truth according to Cowsill, himself. It amazes me how much sh*t you guys make up because you don't like him.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2012, 04:37:30 AM »

You guys crack me up with the Stamos envy. I doubt anybody owes anyone anything. He is there because one or more of them want him there. Also, someone further up in the thread mentioned Cowsill being irritated with Stamos. Far from the truth according to Cowsill, himself. It amazes me how much sh*t you guys make up because you don't like him.

Believe me, I have better things to do with my life than envying John Stamos. This about respecting and honoring things that we love, and not acting like a spoiled child in the presence of legends.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2012, 04:51:27 AM »

Good Vibes (apparently this guy has the whole show...but wants you to BUY it. That ain't legal.)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY-FjiPLvx4&feature=plcp

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2012, 04:51:34 AM »

You guys need to respect Stamos. He's been touring with the group since the 80s - over twenty years! He sounds great, and sometimes sounds just like Dennis! I don't know why people complain. He's an important part of Beach Boys history, and if you make fun of him, you're just jealous.

No, we don't. Stamos has been playing the odd gig with the band since 1985, not touring. He is by no stretch of even the most retarded imagination an "important part of Beach Boys history". He's a DW wannabe, is all.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
freedomaspirer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2012, 05:56:11 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1EhNnCZ9kw - Good Vibrations just popped up

I'm almost certain the autotune's gone!
SummerInParadise23
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2012, 06:08:34 AM »

What is with the negativity of some of these people on here. The Beach Boys are about positivity and having fun, fun, fun. I'm getting really turned off by some of the remarks on here especially about John Stamos. John has been the greatest ambassador of the boys. Do you know how many younger people wouldn't even know them without their appearances on Full House? He is very gracious and really just a huge fan. Im just shocked the way some people speak on here.
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2012, 06:09:57 AM »

Can you stretch a retarded imagination? In some parts of Florida maybe...

harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2012, 06:11:20 AM »

What is with the negativity of some of these people on here. The Beach Boys are about positivity and having fun, fun, fun. I'm getting really turned off by some of the remarks on here especially about John Stamos. John has been the greatest ambassador of the boys. Do you know how many younger people wouldn't even know them without their appearances on Full House? He is very gracious and really just a huge fan. Im just shocked the way some people speak on here.

Satire is alive and well.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2012, 06:13:51 AM »

I can't hear it either on this one.

PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2012, 06:30:25 AM »

Seems like a knowing, fair and certainly appreciative review by Jon Parales in the NY Times, including the aforementioned antics of the Stamos...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/10/arts/music/beach-boys-beacon-theater-music-review.html?hp

"Yet while the technical splendor of Mr. Wilson’s songwriting was one of the Beach Boys’ lasting achievements — one that echoes down through generations of tuneful studio experimenters — this wasn’t a concert to get too technical about. It was a show of youthful exuberance and inspiration battling the effects of time.

Mr. Love was the lead singer for most songs, and memory filled out his thinning voice. Mr. Jardine, who sang lead on “Help Me Rhonda” but few other Beach Boys hits, was the heartiest among the band’s original singers. The set list was more egalitarian than need be; Mr. Jardine sang “Help Me Rhonda” — along with most of the audience — but also got “And Then I Kissed Her” and “Cotton Fields” when there could have been more Beach Boys originals. (Meanwhile, John Stamos, the actor who introduced the band, grew intrusive in return visits to the stage, sitting in on drums and clowning on guitar.) The Beach Boys also accompanied video clips of the late Wilson brothers, Dennis (whose video clip malfunctioned) and Carl, who was heard in “God Only Knows.”

Memory also heard the best in Mr. Wilson’s voice after his years of struggle with mental illness. He sat at a white grand piano, looking impassive but participating, until near the end of the set, when he stepped forward and strapped on a bass. (The backup band’s bass player continued to play.) And he took his share of lead vocals, determined but faltering, in songs like “Sail on Sailor,” “Sloop John B.,” “This Whole World” and the gorgeously timid 1965 album track and B-side “Please Let Me Wonder.”

As a young man, Mr. Wilson was already thinking about how fleeting time is, and the reunited Beach Boys seized on songs like “All Summer Long,” “When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)” and the inevitable set-starter for a reunited band, “Do It Again.”

In the concert’s most touching moment, Mr. Wilson sang “I Just Wasn’t Made for These Times,” a song from “Pet Sounds” about being an innovator who’s universally misunderstood: “Every time I get the inspiration to go change things around,” he sang, “No one wants to help me look for places where new things might be found.” The chords and melody climbed, lingered, fell back; Mr. Wilson stayed with them, fighting his limitations, as the Beach Boys sang harmony. It was an aching memory and a heartbreaking vindication."
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 06:32:57 AM by PS » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2012, 06:32:05 AM »

You have considerable courage, but, I'm sending you a virtual flak jacket!  You are gonna need it!  Back in the late 1980's - while still teaching 4 and 5 year olds, I got one of the biggest shocks of my life, with my little students coming into class singing, "Aruba, Jamaica..." and quickly discovered that not only were the kids of course watching Uncle Jesse, not unlike my own kids, but, they were getting their parents to buy the music!  

These were parents who were NOT in the generation of Beach Boys fans, but whose parents, (their grandparents) were the fans.  It was the most extraordinary dynamic.  Uncle Jesse had brought a new generation of fans into the BB network.  These kids were into the New Kids on the Block.

John Stamos does bring voltage to the table.  And if anyone cares to check out the Forever Youtubes that he has done, one is inching up towards a million hits.  It became a Disney video, which was added exposure of Beach Boy work, and the TV appearances, worked synergystically to re-energize and re-invent the band.    

It took a while to process all the different band configurations, which emerged post Carl's passing, and, personally, I saw each band whenever possible because it is all about the music.
Stamos has a viable, palpable connection to this younger generation and that is incontrovertable.  

It is regrettable that people waste so much draining energy bashing someone who has for the greater extent only been a great auxilliary band member.  
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 06:40:26 AM by filledeplage » Logged
SummerInParadise23
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2012, 06:36:20 AM »

Thank you for the responsed filled. It's really heart warming to know there are some appreciative positive fans out there. It makes absolutely no sense to me the level of negativity/hatrid/envy whatever it is. I'm 27 and most of my friends only know The Beach Boys because of Full House. I mean what more can Uncle Jesse do to praise Dennis. He loves the guy! Have a great day Smiley
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2012, 06:51:06 AM »

It's because it cheapens the whole thing like the cheerleaders did. Full House was a make believe show. There is no Uncle Jessie and serious fans don't need any pretend Beach Boys. We have David Marks (a true Beach Boy) there for real this time around, and a huge fantastic backing band. That should be more than enough to please any crowd.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2012, 06:54:19 AM »

Thank you for the responsed filled. It's really heart warming to know there are some appreciative positive fans out there. It makes absolutely no sense to me the level of negativity/hatrid/envy whatever it is. I'm 27 and most of my friends only know The Beach Boys because of Full House. I mean what more can Uncle Jesse do to praise Dennis. He loves the guy! Have a great day Smiley

The age bracket you are in, was the same as in Pre-Kindergarten, in 1988-9!  Those kids were about 4-5, as one of my sons who is also 27.  I found some very easy sheet music and I got paid to sing Kokomo with the kids!  [Truth be told, I always found subversive ways to sneak in little sections of their stuff all the time.]

What I like about Stamos is that in Stamos' liking/promoting Dennis, he is looking to see only the good things, and promote them.  Dennis was a controversial "bad-boy" type, who could have just as easily had his reputation completely trashed.  People like John, (and Billy Hinsche) have chosen to find and promote a positive legacy.  That is to be honored, not reviled, in my humble, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...

filledeplage        
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2012, 07:04:12 AM »

That's a really great performance! Everyone nailed it!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2012, 07:41:28 AM »

It's because it cheapens the whole thing like the cheerleaders did. Full House was a make believe show. There is no Uncle Jessie and serious fans don't need any pretend Beach Boys. We have David Marks (a true Beach Boy) there for real this time around, and a huge fantastic backing band. That should be more than enough to please any crowd.
It cheapens it in your own mind. Many fans who attend (paying most of the money) these shows have no isuues whatsoever with Stamos on stage. Also, as much as I agree with Andrew on most things here, I do not understand his stand on Stamos. As an historian of the band, you of all people should understand the marketing & advertising reasons for including Stamos these past 25 years or so. For people who don't like him, that's fine, don't like him. As their history shows, The Beach Boys do what they want, when they want, and very rarely stray from what works in their concert setting. For most fans who attend these shows, John Stamos is an added attraction that helps keep future fannies in the seats. I know one thing hanging around this place; hardcore fans are never happy. There always has to be something to bitch about; Stamos. Autotune, holograms (stuff that never happened), Brian too far side stage, etc.. I love coming here and learning, sharing the love of the music, reading these concert reviews, but the constant bemoaning of the same topics in thread after thread, after thread really wears thin. I'm done ranting, sorry I steered off-track. I'm glad those of you who attended the show had a great time. Awaiting my turn in another week and a half.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2012, 08:20:41 AM »

Brian was really close to filling in for Dennis' missed vocal during "Forever."  When it was clear the video was failing, Jeff turned to Brian and mouthed "Sing! Sing!"  Brian did not respond, either it was his way of saying no or him just not getting what Jeff meant when he was asked to sing.  It was a tough choice....they were hoping the video would correct itself and get the song back on track but it never happened.  I'm sure David would have taken the lead (but for whatever reason, didn't) but Stamos came in and saved the song before it became an absolute lost cause. 
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2012, 08:28:55 AM »

It cheapens it in EVERY sense of the word, since the whole @#$'n point of this tour is the reintroduction of Brian, Al and Dave into the fold, and momentarily turning back time. John reminds me of a former band member of mine, who simply couldn't shut up during intros and would jump into harmonies when he didn't have a part to sing. Basically, an over enthusiastic puppy. If you want to be enthusiastic on stage John, save it for next year's standard issue 'air guitar/woo woo country fair Mike and Bruce tour'.

And I'm as envious of John Stamos as I am of Scott Baio...two of our nation's most cherished thespians  LOL

Hopefully the powers that be will recognize that Cowsill deserves maximum stage time, and not playing tambourine while this giddy asshat pounds away at the drums.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2012, 08:32:29 AM »

It cheapens it in your own mind. Many fans who attend (paying most of the money) these shows have no isuues whatsoever with Stamos on stage. Also, as much as I agree with Andrew on most things here, I do not understand his stand on Stamos. As an historian of the band, you of all people should understand the marketing & advertising reasons for including Stamos these past 25 years or so. For people who don't like him, that's fine, don't like him. As their history shows, The Beach Boys do what they want, when they want, and very rarely stray from what works in their concert setting. For most fans who attend these shows, John Stamos is an added attraction that helps keep future fannies in the seats. I know one thing hanging around this place; hardcore fans are never happy. There always has to be something to bitch about; Stamos. Autotune, holograms (stuff that never happened), Brian too far side stage, etc.. I love coming here and learning, sharing the love of the music, reading these concert reviews, but the constant bemoaning of the same topics in thread after thread, after thread really wears thin. I'm done ranting, sorry I steered off-track. I'm glad those of you who attended the show had a great time. Awaiting my turn in another week and a half.

Amen.

Most shows, are "make-believe" ~ even most literary forms...

Point is, Stamos used the shows he starred in, as a vehicle for BB promotion...

People often have strong opinions...and in my view, ought to be respected, as long as it does not become personnalized attacking.  I don't always agree with Andrew's position on various topics, but I have great respect for his scholarly research.  Great debate is an ancient artform, especially with great subject matter such as this music.  

This board has some really informed, pros, in their respective fields.  That is the attraction. I have learned a lot!  But, no one should be afraid to join the discussion for fear of being attacked for their viewpoint.  And there are plenty would love to jump in but fear losing a limb!  LOL

p.s. Someone here, mentioned John Cowsill being "inside the music." Excellent characterization.  And ditto for Nelson Bragg.  He was magnificent with SMiLE.  We're blessed that they are onboard the vessel!  Wink
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2012, 08:34:09 AM »

Amusing thread.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2012, 08:53:35 AM »

Amen.

Most shows, are "make-believe" ~ even most literary forms...

Point is, Stamos used the shows he starred in, as a vehicle for BB promotion...

People often have strong opinions...and in my view, ought to be respected, as long as it does not become personnalized attacking.  I don't always agree with Andrew's position on various topics, but I have great respect for his scholarly research.  Great debate is an ancient artform, especially with great subject matter such as this music.  

This board has some really informed, pros, in their respective fields.  That is the attraction. I have learned a lot!  But, no one should be afraid to join the discussion for fear of being attacked for their viewpoint.  And there are plenty would love to jump in but fear losing a limb!  LOL

p.s. Someone here, mentioned John Cowsill being "inside the music." Excellent characterization.  And ditto for Nelson Bragg.  He was magnificent with SMiLE.  We're blessed that they are onboard the vessel!  Wink
Like we did with Autotune, instead of bringing up the same thing in every single concert thread, we opened an Autotune Hating thread to discuss the matter. I have no objections with doing the same with Stamos. People can bitch about him until the cows come home and anybody who wants to read it and post can do so till their heart's content.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,