gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 03:49:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 9: Beacon Theatre - New York, NY - 5/8/12 (SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 114869 times)
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2012, 10:19:55 PM »

yeah I feel like the Beach Boys don't really owe Stamos anything anymore for the publicity they got from full house. its been like what, 20 years? this could be (and probably is) their last tour. He should respect that and let them close it down themselves without taking the spotlight.

What if the band invited him along?  Hey, it's their tour.  If they're cool with Uncle Jesse being there, why can't we?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2012, 10:26:15 PM »

Does anybody have an official setlist?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SMiLE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2012, 10:36:14 PM »

Stamos needs to go.

He should never be allowed onstage for another Beach Boys show.

This is an embarrassing travesty, and an insult to the band, Denny, and the fans. Full stop.

If he were a fan he would f*cking stay off the stage.
^
This , I really hope this is his last show with them.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2012, 10:37:26 PM »

I let out a really angry "Boo!" when Stamos came on during Forever. I really don't like his drumming. I don't think John Cowsill likes it either. Stamos was really bashing the kit obnoxiously at the end of the song and Cowsill, who was sitting next to him playing tambourine, started yelling at him. The next song Stamos played a lot more conservatively and Cowsill gave him a thumbs-up.
I noticed this. I love Cowsill's drumming, and while Stamos is adequate, he simply cannot hold a candle to Cowsill. It looked like Jeff was a bit annoyed when Stamos started singing "Forever" into his microphone, and then Stamos went over to Mike's mic instead. Still, it was a moment that Stamos seized. I was expecting David to start singing lead, but at least someone did. It was cool essentially watching the band play the song's backing track live for the first verse.

Stamos taking the last few songs of the first set brought the level of quality down a bit, as he rushes somewhat and doesn't play "inside the music" like Cowsill does.

The sound at The Beacon was excellent, although at the beginning, some mics were not turned up loud enough - mainly Michael's and David's.

All told, the concert was unbelievably great. Every Beach Boy and every member of the backing band was really on-point. Brian killed it on "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" and "This Whole World," Al destroyed on "Cottonfields" - his voice sounds incredible - and Bruce busted out a gorgeous "Disney Girls." I was glad to see David shredding on guitar. Mike's presence, after years of seeing Brian solo tours, brings home the importance of a frontman who really knows how to work the crowd.

Scott Bennet, Darian, Paul Mertens, Nelson, Probyn, Scott Totten, and the rest were at the top of their game. The harmonies were out of this world. I noticed that on some songs ("Surfer Girl") the seven dudes in front (Brian, Jeff, David, Mike, Al, Scott Totten, and Bruce) were the only singers, and the blend was just fantastic.

I think it was on the superb "All This is That" that Darian took a major vocal part and he hit it out of the park.

I will post more thoughts tomorrow, but suffice it to say that this was one of the best concerts I have seen in my life. If you have a chance to see The Beach Boys on this tour, don't miss them.

- B00ts
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2012, 10:38:26 PM »

Overall, there are many songs they didn't play that I'd love to hear, but one they usually do that I found myself missing was Darlin'.

I'll miss that one too if they don't do it!!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2012, 10:44:23 PM »

Stamos was really bashing the kit obnoxiously at the end of the song and Cowsill, who was sitting next to him playing tambourine, started yelling at him. The next song Stamos played a lot more conservatively and Cowsill gave him a thumbs-up.

That's funny.  Cheesy

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2012, 10:45:14 PM »

Stamos needs to go.

This is an embarrassing travesty, and an insult to the band, Denny, and the fans. Full stop.

Oh get over it already.  Stamos has a history with the band.  He's a friend of the band as well as a huge fan.  Since he has some musical ability, I don't see the problem with him appearing on stage with them occasionally. 

I don't care.

There are lots of huge fans of the band. They don't do skits. They don't do crap jobs on the drum parts. They enjoy the band from the audience.

Stamos is a black mark on the band and its legacy. The sooner they cut him out, regardless the scarring, the better.

Stamos was really bashing the kit obnoxiously at the end of the song and Cowsill, who was sitting next to him playing tambourine, started yelling at him. The next song Stamos played a lot more conservatively and Cowsill gave him a thumbs-up.

That's funny.  Cheesy

That's fucking obnoxious. No fan would treat his band or their music that way.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2012, 10:48:56 PM »

noticed a typo, that should be "the end of a song", not "the end of the song", carry on.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2012, 10:52:08 PM »

Does anybody have an official setlist?
Hi Jay, I don't have the setlist available, so this is all from memory, but it was very similar to the most recent setlist they played - the first half was mostly older, popular, and more high-energy tunes, with "You're So Good To Me," "Hawaii" and "The Little Girl I Once Knew" sprinkled in there. I seem to remember that "Cotton Fields" and "Disney Girls" were the only late-60's songs in the first set aside from "Do It Again," which they opened with. They also did "Don't Worry Baby," Catch A Wave" and "Please Let Me Wonder," and the end of the first set was a bunch of car songs - "409," "Shut Down," "I Get Around," and one more, with Stamos drumming.

The second set featured "Forever," "This Whole World," "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times," "Wouldn't It Be Nice," "All This is That," "Heroes and Villains," "Barbara Ann," "That's Why God Made the Radio," "Sail on Sailor," "Fun Fun Fun," "Kokomo" and "Good Vibrations," among others.

While I'd love to see more variation in their setlists, and some more obscure set pieces for Brian like "'Til I Die" and "Surf's Up," I must admit that they are using a superb setlist for this tour. It is expertly crafted to bring the audience on a ride through the group's considerable catalogue.

"I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" blew me out. It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen! That's Why God Made The Radio" was beautiful and vital-sounding, much better than last night's appearance on Jimmy Fallon, which Mike made a reference to, something along the lines of "it could have been better."

- B00ts
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2012, 10:55:46 PM »

That's f*cking obnoxious. No fan would treat his band or their music that way.

Sure it was obnoxious.  I was laughing at the way Cowsill repremanded him.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2012, 11:00:29 PM »

Yeah, I started laughing pretty hard too.

Something I don't remember anyone mentioning on the board is that Cowsill and Mike D'amico split drum duties, with D'amico typically playing on songs that Brian's band has played before but Mike & Bruce's haven't. D'amico played bass when Cowsill was on drums, and Probyn Gregory played bass when D'amico was on drums.

One of the exceptions to this I noticed (aside from when Stamos was drumming) was during I Just Wasn't Made for These Times, which I don't think Mike & Bruce have ever played before, but Cowsill stayed on drums and D'amico stayed on bass because Probyn was playing the tannerin.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2012, 11:07:37 PM »

Stamos needs to go.

Oh get over it already.  Stamos has a history with the band.  He's a friend of the band as well as a huge fan.  Since he has some musical ability, I don't see the problem with him appearing on stage with them occasionally. 

I don't care.

There are lots of huge fans of the band. They don't do skits. They don't do crap jobs on the drum parts. They enjoy the band from the audience.

Stamos is a black mark on the band and its legacy. The sooner they cut him out, regardless the scarring, the better.

That's funny.  Cheesy

That's f*cking obnoxious. No fan would treat his band or their music that way.
It is a bit much. My friend who also attended the concert likened Stamos to a three-year-old at a wedding who is running around stealing focus from the newly married couple. It's hard to fault the guy for his enthusiasm, but he should be reined in a bit. He seemed to rankle a few people onstage. Towards the end of the show, Brian strapped on a bass for "Barbara Ann," and everyone was very excited... and then Stamos ran out onstage with a guitar! He is a very enthusiastic gentleman.

Brian was "on" tonight in terms of vocals and stage presence. He was superb vocally, reaching almost-1966 levels of excellence on "Heroes and Villains" and delivering a heart-rending "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times." Even for some songs like "California Girls," while Brian wasn't contributing a lot vocally, he kind of basked in the glow of the crowd's adulation and seemed to enjoy the music washing over him. For "Kokomo," though, he was stiff as a board.

Kokomo was about 3/4 over. Stamos was  in the middle of the stage, having adopted a comically wide stance for playing Congas. Brian was still sitting at his piano, stone-faced, not playing or singing... and then, for about three seconds, he snapped into action, and sung along with the lyrics to the chorus, making hand motions with a huge exaggerated smile on his face. Then, just as abruptly, he switched back to "stone-faced Brian" as the song continued. A vintage Brian moment.

- B00ts
SMiLE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2012, 11:09:01 PM »

Yeah, I started laughing pretty hard too.

Something I don't remember anyone mentioning on the board is that Cowsill and Mike D'amico split drum duties, with D'amico typically playing on songs that Brian's band has played before but Mike & Bruce's haven't. D'amico played bass when Cowsill was on drums, and Probyn Gregory played bass when D'amico was on drums.

One of the exceptions to this I noticed (aside from when Stamos was drumming) was during I Just Wasn't Made for These Times, which I don't think Mike & Bruce have ever played before, but Cowsill stayed on drums and D'amico stayed on bass because Probyn was playing the tannerin.
I wonder what happened to Brett Simons  since D,Amico is doing the Bass parts. Hopefully, not what happened to Taylor and the Tasty Brothers..
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2012, 11:14:05 PM »

John Stamos is a leach on the BBs

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2012, 11:35:14 PM »

Well the lesson here (aside from Stamos) is to have a plan B if the GOK's/ Forever videos go down again. Going by reports it looks like the problem had not been considered. As mentioned, Dave would be ideal for Forever but I doubt Brian could jump in if GOK's stops. Maybe Jeff will have to be on standby and if possible, Brian can join in. I did see Jeff do just that in a BWPS concert.

Like here. Live 8.  Great catch by Jeff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MBSR0boJpg
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 11:40:14 PM by Undesirable Element » Logged
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2012, 11:43:04 PM »

I don't know if that is a fair assessment. Stamos seems to be a big fan of the group, like you and I, the difference being that he is also a friend to the group, which affords him these sorts of opportunities.

I wish he would be more proprietous with these opportunities, and I could have dealt with less Stamos flavor in my Beach Boys stew, but a leech on the Beach Boys? I can think of many others much more deserving of the title... and to be fair, it should be the group who tells Stamos to cool his heels; ultimately, it is their call.

- B00ts
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2012, 11:53:53 PM »

I don't know if that is a fair assessment. Stamos seems to be a big fan of the group, like you and I, the difference being that he is also a friend to the group, which affords him these sorts of opportunities.

I wish he would be more proprietous with these opportunities, and I could have dealt with less Stamos flavor in my Beach Boys stew, but a leech on the Beach Boys? I can think of many others much more deserving of the title... and to be fair, it should be the group who tells Stamos to cool his heels; ultimately, it is their call.
I just mean he doesn't do much these days as an actor, and then joins a band onstage when he really shouldn't. I have no problem with him doing intros to the shows, its just I feel like he is feeding off their fame these days.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2012, 11:54:55 PM »

Setlist from the bloo

BEACH BOYS - history was made tonight (now last night) in New York City!

(posted by Michael F. Becher on May 8, 2012 at 10:06 pm)

. . . as it has been in every venue during this tour so far. The concert at the Beacon Theater was great, and there is so much to talk about. For this post, I will simply give the set list since I had already completed the post once and lost the whole thing before I could send it.

John Stamos came out to introduce the Beach Boys discussing their influence on his life and career.

Do It Again
Catch A Wave
Hawaii
Don't Back Down
Surfin' Safari (David Marks sang the lead and played it as well)
Surfer Girl
Please Let Me Wonder (Brian lead)
You're So Good to Me
Wendy
Then I Kissed Her (Al lead, of course)
The Little Girl I Once Knew
Why Do Fools Fall in Love?
When I Grow Up
Cotton Fields (Al)
Disney Girls (Bruce)

Mike introduced Stamos as he sat in on the drums for the first of several times during the evening

Don't Worry Baby
Little Honda
Be True to Your School
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around

Intermission

California Dreaming
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Forever (Dennis sang the lead on a video, but see comment below)
Sail On Sailor (Brian)
Heroes & Villains (Brian)
In My Room
All This is That
This Whole World
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
God Only Knows (Carl on the video)
That's Why God Made the Radio
California Girls
All Summer Long
Help Me, Rhonda
Rock and Roll Music
Do You Wanna Dance (Brian)
Barbara Ann (Brian stood up and strapped on the bass)
Surfin' USA (Stamos took a guitar on this one as well)

Encore

Kokomo
Good Vibrations
Fun Fun Fun

The video started out with Dennis singing the lead to "Forever" and the band playing and singing backups live. However, shortly into the song, the video did not function properly, and all we heard for about a verse was the instrumentation and the backup vocals. Then Stamos came out and took the lead singing the rest of the song. I did not make up my mind for awhile as to whether the malfunction was intentional to get Stamos out there since he in fact has covered the song himself. However, unless someone tells me otherwise, I'm guessing that it truly was not intentional, and "Stamos to the rescue" was for real.

More comments in a separate post.

Peace to all,
Mike

Report Abuse

Post A Followup!

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2012, 12:04:28 AM »

Setlist from the bloo

Mike introduced Stamos as he sat in on the drums for the first of several times during the evening

Don't Worry Baby
Little Honda
Be True to Your School
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around

Report Abuse

Post A Followup!

Can I report the abuse of drumming privileges?

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2012, 12:05:17 AM »

hen Brian puts on the bass, does he really play it? I mean, is he making a serious effort to hit the right notes? Or is it just a few strums here and there? Is there a second bass player doing most of the "real" playing?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2012, 12:19:01 AM »

Brian just plays the root note. During Barbara Ann it was very obvious being Mike D'amico was playing the walking blues bassline and Brian hands were barely moving.

just found a Kokomo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY-FjiPLvx4&feature=plcp
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:22:20 AM by Aegir » Logged

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2012, 12:31:47 AM »

hen Brian puts on the bass, does he really play it? I mean, is he making a serious effort to hit the right notes? Or is it just a few strums here and there? Is there a second bass player doing most of the "real" playing?

Whether or not he's actually trying to play bass, I think it's safe to assume that it isn't plugged in.  :-)

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2012, 01:04:17 AM »

Whether or not he's actually trying to play bass, I think it's safe to assume that it isn't plugged in.  :-)

He's always had a second bass player -- dating back to 2000, when he had Lizik doing it behind him. But he has tended to be plugged in. Best bit: during the 01 tribute, he played bass during FFF -- he never does usually -- and he got so distracted by it that he didn't sing chunks of the song! Looked cool, though.
SMiLE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2012, 01:19:58 AM »

Brian just plays the root note. During Barbara Ann it was very obvious being Mike D'amico was playing the walking blues bassline and Brian hands were barely moving.

just found a Kokomo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY-FjiPLvx4&feature=plcp
Stamos being there does hurt the integrity quite a bit. I hope he does not become a permanent additional band member for the rest of the tour.
MBE
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2012, 01:29:20 AM »

Stamos rigged the video!  Grin
I hope he's not coming to Chicago.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx