gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680840 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 05:20:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 9: Beacon Theatre - New York, NY - 5/8/12 (SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 114928 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #150 on: May 09, 2012, 01:56:07 PM »

A few days ago someone posted the truth that most of the audience were really happy to see Stamos there. As The Beach Boys have agreed that they collectively want him onstage and the audience does too then it makes sense for him to be there.

He has been important to the group for decades and increased their popularity in many countries. He`s also been used by the touring group to attract concertgoers for years.
The idea that he is leeching off the band now is ludicrous as he has always been there and if anything Mike and Bruce have leeched off him in the past.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 09, 2012, 01:57:47 PM »

The last thing it [GV] needs is a lame audience participation segment. There's a difference between connecting with fans and condescending to them.

I'm not talking about an audience participation thing; they could use any lyrics for a singalong.

I'm talking about an emotional connection thing. When the BBs changed that one word in concert, GV wasn't about some abstract woman anymore -- it became a song for all of us in the audience. From abstract to personal, between the band and us. Maybe it was just something the long-gone Denny and Carl cooked up (feels like them) -- I have no idea where it originated -- but I miss it!

Yes, you are absolutely correct!  Carl used to get the audience really cooking for GV...

Can't that be heard on Knebworth as well?  

My best guess is that they are just finding their way, touring together, and synching the musicians in the respective bands...No small feat.  
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 09, 2012, 02:13:39 PM »

To those who cite the long history John Stamos has with the Beach Boys, he has NO connection to the recorded history of their music that's being celebrated and lovingly presented on this reunion tour.
Unfortunately, that's not entirely true...

What I wrote is entirely true.
Isn't Dennis and his music celebrated at this tour?  Huh Stamos once recorded a Dennis song, so obviously "he has NO connection" is not a true statement.  Wink
That's a stretch. I recorded a Dennis song, and I wrote a book about him too. You want me on stage? Like I said, me, Stamos, (and you) have no meaningful connection to the music that's being celebrated on this tour. Its about the original surviving Beach Boys and their great body of work. John makes a good announcer/emcee...let him do that. Grin
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:14:30 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 09, 2012, 02:14:48 PM »

Also "This whole world" is up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIdijSZRzLw

Woohoohoo Brian sounds tremendous on TWW! Right up there with the Roxy version!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 09, 2012, 02:22:34 PM »

To those who cite the long history John Stamos has with the Beach Boys, he has NO connection to the recorded history of their music that's being celebrated and lovingly presented on this reunion tour.
Unfortunately, that's not entirely true...

What I wrote is entirely true.
Isn't Dennis and his music celebrated at this tour?  Huh Stamos once recorded a Dennis song, so obviously "he has NO connection" is not a true statement.  Wink
That's a stretch. I recorded a Dennis song, and I wrote a book about him too. You want me on stage? Like I said, me, Stamos, (and you) have no meaningful connection to the music that's being celebrated on this tour. Its about the original surviving Beach Boys and their great body of work. John makes a good announcer/emcee...let him do that. Grin
We're in the same camp, I just like to argue about stuff like that.  Wink You originally said that there was "no connection", meaning at all, but now you rephrased it as "no meaningful connection" - and that's what I meant. That there is some connection any knowledgable fan couldn't deny.  Undecided
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 09, 2012, 02:23:21 PM »

A few days ago someone posted the truth that most of the audience were really happy to see Stamos there. As The Beach Boys have agreed that they collectively want him onstage and the audience does too then it makes sense for him to be there.

He has been important to the group for decades and increased their popularity in many countries. He`s also been used by the touring group to attract concertgoers for years.
The idea that he is leeching off the band now is ludicrous as he has always been there and if anything Mike and Bruce have leeched off him in the past.

Yes, it is ludicrous.  It was not easy to build up a band from scratch.  Each of the three bands, had growing pains of a sort.  Branching out, drawing a fanbase, building a musical team.  It is hard.  And John Stamos did plug the band, and play when he was free.  I just watched the Be True To Your School, and it is not far afield from his performance with the Touring Band.  From the video, the audience appears more than happy with his performance.

People have clamored for this reunion.  But may not have been involved, supporting the individual bands, with the defense that, "Īt is not the real  Beach Boys."

And, he is a little enthusiastic. It might just be his nature.  But, he stayed and performed when times were leaner than they are now, with the reunion.  Your real friends in life, are there when the "thin" times are there.  And there is little press to announce your arrival.  I don't think that he was exploited by the Touring Band.  

Overall, despite critics, I find him a pretty decent guy, observing him pulling up a lot of special needs people to the stage to give them the thrill of their lives. I taught with people who would not allow any body contact with special needs kids, as though they might "catch something" from them.  And they just love that their "hero" Uncle Jesse pays special attention to them.  

People have strong positions on him, but may not have supported the band, when they were keeping the brand name out there.  And putting on a great show.  Yes, he stood on the drum stool with the Touring Band, and it was made part of "the act." People loved it.  So, this guy does the same thing that he has done with the touring band and goes to " the woodshed?"        

People have short memories.   Wink
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:29:23 PM by filledeplage » Logged
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: May 09, 2012, 03:09:23 PM »

Don't get me wrong, Stamos is the epitome of cheese. Buuuut, that was pretty cool on his part. It harkens me back to those unpleasant and even awkward feelings I have every time I listen to SIP. I think Stamos doing it live is better than the Dennis thing. I don't know why but the Dennis and Carl video performances always sounded lame. If I have to pay hundreds of dollars for a ticket(s) then I want to see Brian sing GOK or at least see Dave do Forever.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 09, 2012, 04:46:22 PM »

This Stamos thing has got to be the most stupid thing on this board next to the autotune debate. It's the Beach Boys' show and they can invite whoever the hell they want to play on stage with them. It is only a concert for crying out loud. It is not like going to the symphony or opera. It's a friggin' rock concert where people party and have fun. Sit home and listen to the recordings if you don't want the distractions that performing to a live audience entails. Heaven forbid if the audience should sing along with the songs too. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 09, 2012, 04:52:18 PM »

Okay, don't skin me, but I'd like to see Stamos, he IS part of their history, so sorry to all of you who won't accept that :/

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: May 09, 2012, 05:02:21 PM »

Okay, don't skin me, but I'd like to see Stamos, he IS part of their history, so sorry to all of you who won't accept that :/

I don't think I'd mind *seeing* Stamos at a show. That might be kind of amusing, and maybe even slightly nostalgic in terms of their late 80's era. But it's been established from a number of sources, both professional musicians all the way through to regular ol' fans, that Stamos is a mediocre musician. As several have mentioned, have him emcee the show and if he wants to play some percussion on a song or two, okay. But he shouldn't be doing his schtick of mediocre drumming and rock star posing. It would be annoying regardless of Stamos' celebrity status, and regardless of the band in question.

Also, even if we accept that he is "part" of their history, he doesn't seem to be joining in at a show because of history. If that were the case, they'd be calling in Billy Hinsche and Blondie Chaplin, etc. (And no, I haven't even been advocating for Chaplin/Fataar to be part of the tour). Stamos seems to be buddies with Mike Love, and they seem to have him play more because they're friends.

I can say that's annoying often when any band invites their "friends" to play for any sort of extended period on stage.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 09, 2012, 05:26:19 PM »

People are paying good ticket prices and don't want the show messed up with bad playing by John Stamos.  They already have two drummers.  I'm sure Coswill and Bragg get steamed having to relinquish the throne to that character.  If they want him to intro the band or sing back-up on an encore, that's okay, but he shouldn't be playing any instruments. His fans can go to a John Stamos concert at some county fair if they want to support his musical career.

I'd like to see them invite Van Dyke Parks onstage sometime and play keyboards for a song or two if they want to get into people somehow connected to the Beach Boys' career.  I know he doesn't approve of the reunion, but it would be cool.  At least the man can actually play an instrument. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 09, 2012, 05:30:45 PM »

People are paying good ticket prices and don't want the show messed up with bad playing by John Stamos.  They already have two drummers.  I'm sure Coswill and Bragg get steamed having to relinquish the throne to that character.  If they want him to intro the band or sing back-up on an encore, that's okay, but he shouldn't be playing any instruments. His fans can go to a John Stamos concert at some county fair if they want to support his musical career.

I'd like to see them invite Van Dyke Parks onstage sometime and play keyboards for a song or two if they want to get into people somehow connected to the Beach Boys' career.  I know he doesn't approve of the reunion, but it would be cool.  At least the man can actually play an instrument. 
Mike invites Stamos, Brian invites Dyke Parks, simple enough.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 09, 2012, 05:43:25 PM »

This Stamos thing has got to be the most stupid thing on this board next to the autotune debate. It's the Beach Boys' show and they can invite whoever the hell they want to play on stage with them. It is only a concert for crying out loud. It is not like going to the symphony or opera. It's a friggin' rock concert where people party and have fun. Sit home and listen to the recordings if you don't want the distractions that performing to a live audience entails. Heaven forbid if the audience should sing along with the songs too. Wink
Heaven forbid if they should express an opinion.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 09, 2012, 05:51:23 PM »

He's a part of their history the same way the syphilis is part of Scott Joplin's.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 09, 2012, 06:56:49 PM »

Heaven forbid if they should express an opinion.
My, how times have changed. Rock concerts aren't about having fun anymore? You guys beat a dead horse with Stamos. Tell Dave to kick his ass out. You have influence with him. Listen, if this was a new issue, no problem, but it is not. You can go to many threads in here and read the same complaints. He is a fact of life in Beach Boys world. Just accept that he is going to be there.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 09, 2012, 07:05:28 PM »

Stamos is an embarrassment. It has nothing to do with fun (which the BBs most certainly are). It has to do with respect. As he is unable to perform onstage competently, he disrespects the band. Plain and simple.

It infuriates me that this truly third-rate talent has attached himself, barnacle-like, to an American institution.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:07:21 PM by Wirestone » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 09, 2012, 07:14:48 PM »

Stamos is an embarrassment. It has nothing to do with fun (which the BBs most certainly are). It has to do with respect. As he is unable to perform onstage competently, he disrespects the band. Plain and simple.

It infuriates me that this truly third-rate talent has attached himself, barnacle-like, to an American institution.
Wow, like the Beach Boys themselves have no involvement with him being there? Even a tick that attaches itself to a dog can be unattached if you really want it gone.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 09, 2012, 07:19:32 PM »

I'd much rather have the band invite Blondie Chapman or Ricky Fader to shows if they're going to invite anybody.

No mas, por favor.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 09, 2012, 07:22:30 PM »

I don't see any problems with Stamos on drums! He's no Cowsill, but he DOES have a bit of that unpredictability behind the kit ala Dennis, which I find strangely works for The Beach Boys.

Besides, someone messes up on Rock N Roll Music and it's not Stamos! It's easy to wonder how anyone can mess up a Chuck Berry song, but as Chuck himself has found out countless times.... it is very possible!!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 09, 2012, 07:29:01 PM »

Blondie Chapman or Ricky Fader

Great.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 09, 2012, 07:43:07 PM »

I'm dying to hear IJWMFTT, still nothing up yet?

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: May 09, 2012, 09:16:46 PM »

Haha man this Stamos debate is hilarious. I personally don't care for the guy much & would prefer to not see him join in as much at shows, but bottom line is Stamos sells tickets. And after the music, that's what this tour is about. Selling tickets, selling meet & greet, selling soundtrack, selling merch, etc....if they have a celebrity fan/quasi-member who is willing to come play when he can (likely for free, or less than the rest of the guys are getting) it seems like simple business sense. Yeah this undermines the artistic integrity a bit, but I think if it was a heavy artistic trip we'd be seeing a few deeper cuts in the setlist, no? And to the naysayers who believe Stamos doesn't actually sell tickets.....well the Beach Boys recently announced a date in Calgary (my hometown) and I'd say 50% of the people I saw posting about the show on Facebook mentioned that they were "super excited Uncle Jesse was playing with them" or something to that effect. Yeah, they aren't hardcore fans, but they are a part of the audience at these shows. And good entertainers will put together an act that caters to all aspects of their audience

endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 09, 2012, 09:43:02 PM »

Haha man this Stamos debate is hilarious. I personally don't care for the guy much & would prefer to not see him join in as much at shows, but bottom line is Stamos sells tickets. And after the music, that's what this tour is about. Selling tickets, selling meet & greet, selling soundtrack, selling merch, etc....if they have a celebrity fan/quasi-member who is willing to come play when he can (likely for free, or less than the rest of the guys are getting) it seems like simple business sense. Yeah this undermines the artistic integrity a bit, but I think if it was a heavy artistic trip we'd be seeing a few deeper cuts in the setlist, no? And to the naysayers who believe Stamos doesn't actually sell tickets.....well the Beach Boys recently announced a date in Calgary (my hometown) and I'd say 50% of the people I saw posting about the show on Facebook mentioned that they were "super excited Uncle Jesse was playing with them" or something to that effect. Yeah, they aren't hardcore fans, but they are a part of the audience at these shows. And good entertainers will put together an act that caters to all aspects of their audience

But . . . Stamos isn't touring with them.  He's appearing sporadically when the mood strikes him. Though anyone who buys a ticket expecting to get Stamos and doesn't get Stamos is getting exactly what they deserve. 
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: May 09, 2012, 10:20:54 PM »

you can see at the end of this video, Cowsill yelling at Stamos.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 09, 2012, 10:39:34 PM »

Dat song sounds better now than it did in 1976.

No mas, por favor.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx