-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 08:58:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  My son broke our digital camera. Help me pick a new one.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My son broke our digital camera. Help me pick a new one.  (Read 6889 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 01, 2006, 08:49:00 AM »

My son broke our digital camera.  Help me pick a new one.

Olympus C755 or C765?

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 08:53:37 AM »

I'd stay away from Olympus. I had one and I thought it was great til I started using different Sony cameras. None of them disappointed and they just felt better to use. Also, the memory card Sony uses is accepted in a lot of places if you ever wish to print or whatever...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 09:41:58 AM »

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 09:45:06 AM »

I'd go for the Nikon D50, but that's just me.  For around $500 or less (!!!) you can a camera worth approx. 100 times more than any Olympus.  And it's not just a digital camera, but an SLR.  Awesome!
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 11:16:51 AM »

Well, I'm looking to spend less than $500.  And we've had good experiences with Olympus cameras, digital and otherwise.

b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 01:08:57 PM »

I don't know...I've seen that Nikon going for $300 (link below) which is a steal for the quality.  And did I say it is a digital SLR?

http://www.geniuscameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=366760&start=1

JScott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 02:26:07 PM »

I've got one of these and I love it. Think I spent about $400.

“Hey, I don’t know the answer to life. I just know that when enough voices combine with the right melody, you’ve got the sound of heaven.”
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 03:01:25 AM »

Huh Your subject-line is a little bit confusing. Do you mean a new camera or a new son?

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 06:23:22 AM »

Huh Your subject-line is a little bit confusing. Do you mean a new camera or a new son?

That's hi-i-i-larious!  In the heat of the moment, you could, for a split second, decide you want to see if the warranty has a money back guarantee, or a good exchange policy. Smiley  You should have read it before you bought it!
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 10:41:19 AM »

How about this:  recommend a REALLY inexpensive camera for the kids, one that is point and click with a viewscreen on the back.

endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 12:33:17 PM »

You should probably go to Steves-Digicams.com and/or CNet.com to see reviews of cameras that fit your price range and specs (they have categories for both, making it easier to narrow your choices).  Think about how many megapixels you want, how big of a zoom, what types of capabilities (such as low light, where you're looking at maximum apeture and ISO sensitivity settings), and then once you've narrowed it down, read the reviews, and check out the sample shots.  Oh, and also check the specs on battery type and usage. 

Those sites will also give you a range of prices in various online stores.  Another possilbility for bargain-hunting is to look for camera models that are a year or two old (the Steve's Digicam site has archived reviews), which you can often get really cheap relative to their features, and they are often brand new, or at least reconditioned.  Once you've narrowed down your choice of models, you might also want to shop on E-Bay, where you can sometimes get bargains from reputable dealers, complete with guarantees.

I would go with either Nikon-Minolta, Pentax, or Canon, if possible.  Fuji also supposedly has some good digital cameras in the lower price range, though I was never impressed with their film cameras. 

Although, just to add, it seems as though you want the big zoom.  Olympus may be your best option for that 10x zoom, because no one else seems to have them at a cheap price range.  My sister has a 10X zoom Olympus, and it's not very impressive, but it's an older model.  Maybe they've improved since then.  Plus, if that's the brand you had previously, it saves you from having to learn a new menu system.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 01:12:19 PM by forget marie » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: