gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 07:35:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite Progressive Rock Band :)  (Read 8107 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2012, 05:17:27 PM »

I'm a bit weird in that I LOVE LOVE LOVE solo Peter Gabriel but am still a tad cold on his stuff with Genesis, yet I LOVE LOVE LOVE post Gabriel Genesis!

I think Duke is their best album overall!
Duke is the perfect mix of progressive rock and mainstream Smiley executed flawlessly..
i love everything they did from 68- 86 Smiley

I LOVE 1980's Genesis.  Turn It On, Invisible Touch, Throwing It All Away, Land of Confusion, Paper Late WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

If I ever find myself playing "In Too Deep" I always end up playing it over and over and over again! Smiley
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2012, 07:39:08 PM »

ELP, King Crimson, Yes, Ain Soph, Brand X, Return to Forever, Tangerine Dream, Genesis, Caravan, The Soft Machine...oh man the list goes on and on. www.AuralMoon.com best prog website ever!
favorite genesis song?

That's a very hard question to answer... Watcher of the Skies, The Return of the Giant Hogweed, Supper's Ready, The Knife just to name a few.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2012, 11:27:21 PM »

have you guys heard any of these songs by them? & if so what do you think of them? do they sound beach boys influenced to you? (happy the man,cinema show ,i know what i like,snowbound)
the biggest beach boys influenced song they did is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae7tASAkop8    (imo it's an ok song not even top 100 in their catalog)
which phil collins said he came up with after listening to sail on sailor (how crazy is that)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 12:32:13 AM by Newguy562 » Logged
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2012, 01:11:15 AM »

I enjoy bits of Yes, but for me the early 70s Genesis era (Trespass through to the Lamb) is one of my favourite eras of any band ever. I got into Genesis in my teens around the same time I got into the BB, and for me they weren't a million miles apart in terms of intricate and interesting chords and multisectional songs. The BB were an influence for Tony Banks so I guess that figures.
I saw the Genesis tribute band 'The Musical Box' 3 times, and the first time I saw them might be my favourite gig ever (and thats over Brian doing PS or Smile), it really is some of the most beautiful music ever created by anyone. I like the first few post Gabriel albums as well but some of their early 80s stuff is a bit iffy for me though I have a soft spot for 'Invisible Touch' as it was an album of my childhood...

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2012, 01:20:38 AM »

I enjoy bits of Yes, but for me the early 70s Genesis era (Trespass through to the Lamb) is one of my favourite eras of any band ever. I got into Genesis in my teens around the same time I got into the BB, and for me they weren't a million miles apart in terms of intricate and interesting chords and multisectional songs. The BB were an influence for Tony Banks so I guess that figures.
I saw the Genesis tribute band 'The Musical Box' 3 times, and the first time I saw them might be my favourite gig ever (and thats over Brian doing PS or Smile), it really is some of the most beautiful music ever created by anyone. I like the first few post Gabriel albums as well but some of their early 80s stuff is a bit iffy for me though I have a soft spot for 'Invisible Touch' as it was an album of my childhood...
the lamb lies down on broadway has to be the best concept album ever done right? Smiley what are your favorite genesis songs?
peter did a beautiful job with them but phil carried them and did great work with them as well Smiley
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2012, 02:05:02 AM »

Favorite prog album has to be Acquiring the Taste by Gentle Giant.

Sound-wise, the most interesting prog album for me is probably Relayer by Yes.

If you like Genesis, I highly recommend you seek out Steve Hackett's solo albums Voyage of the Acolyte and Please Don't Touch. Actually my favorite Genesis album would have to be And Then There Were Three. It does border on what was about to come in terms of 80s cheese but I love the overall sound of it, definitely one of the darker albums from their entire catalog.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2012, 04:06:29 AM »

the lamb lies down on broadway has to be the best concept album ever done right? Smiley what are your favorite genesis songs?
peter did a beautiful job with them but phil carried them and did great work with them as well Smiley

The Lamb is great, but not my alltime favourite, would probably put Selling England by the pound first. Favourites from the era being Cinema show, Firth of fifth, Can Utility and the coastliners, Musical Box, Suppers Ready etc...the usual suspects really. I really like Trespass too, it sometimes gets written off but some of the songs - Dusk, Stagnation, White Mountain etc...are brilliant.

Trick of the tail is great too, and most of Wind and Wuthering. ATTWT has grown on me throughout the years, there's a few which wash over me but overall it has a pretty similar sound to the preceding two albums which I quite like (though a lot less 12 string). Agree about Hacketts albums 'Acolyte' is a real beauty.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 04:07:44 AM by matt-zeus » Logged

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2012, 04:40:14 AM »

The Lamb is great, but not my alltime favourite, would probably put Selling England by the pound first. Favourites from the era being Cinema show, Firth of fifth, Can Utility and the coastliners, Musical Box, Suppers Ready etc...the usual suspects really. I really like Trespass too, it sometimes gets written off but some of the songs - Dusk, Stagnation, White Mountain etc...are brilliant.

Trick of the tail is great too, and most of Wind and Wuthering. ATTWT has grown on me throughout the years, there's a few which wash over me but overall it has a pretty similar sound to the preceding two albums which I quite like (though a lot less 12 string). Agree about Hacketts albums 'Acolyte' is a real beauty.
most genesis fans say that selling england by the pounds is their fav. Smiley it's like the pet sounds of their catalog.. i love cinema show it's so beautiful :D the instruments and the way it flows all together...
supper's ready is definitely a strong piece (most important song in their career).. my current favorite era in their career is A Trick of the Tails - ATTWT Smiley
Sea Devil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2012, 06:18:38 AM »

Is Pink Floyd really prog?

To me, they're a psychedelic band that got really popular with their own thing. Plus, none of the guys in Floyd (other than Rick Wright) had the chops to stand up to, say, Yes, or King Crimson, or CAN. They were basically a 4X4 blues/rock band with grand ideas. And this is to their eternal credit: the idea behind what they did was always more important than how they did it.

But for Prog proper: Yes does it for me. I think the Relayer album is THE apex of prog!

Absolutely agreed, and this is why I prefer them to any prog band Grin

Still Lurkin'
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2012, 01:43:14 PM »

i checked out some band named "Genesis"

Hey New Guy, every time I see your post about "some band named Genesis" I get a laugh!  LOL

(I know you were born in the 80's.)

You have very wide, diverse tastes!  Anyway, rock on!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2012, 01:48:03 PM »

i checked out some band named "Genesis"

Hey New Guy, every time I see your post about "some band named Genesis" I get a laugh!  LOL

(I know you were born in the 80's.)

You have very wide, diverse tastes!  Anyway, rock on!
really? lol
i actually was born in the 90's :] and thanks alot so do you guys i'm just new to all this music..
MBE
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2012, 02:17:13 PM »

I don't know I mean labels are kind of hard to apply to good music as anything good in unique. As far as progressive goes I think anyone original can be called that. Sticking to the more traditional Prog rock stuff Floyd from 1967-72 are really my favorites. I like the 1973-79 stuff too but not as much.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2012, 12:30:37 AM »

The only progressive band I ever checked out and actually loved were Pink Floyd until 2 days ago i checked out some band named "Genesis" & was completely blown away. Every new song put a smile on my face and their concept album "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" definitely has to be one of the best concept albums to ever be released. I'm suprised that I have never heard of these guys before especially since their work is great from 69-80 :] I didn't really care for the commercial sound they were going for in the 80's but all their theme albums were impeccable.....Pink Floyd & Genesis are my favorite progressive rock bands, What is yours?
Yes, during the period when the Buggles temporarily replaced Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman.  LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx