gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:13:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 8: Stratz Center - Tampa, FL 5/5/12 (SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 23336 times)
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2012, 11:29:26 PM »

Why doesn't Al just sing lead on H&V?

After all the press of Brian finally conquering the demons of Smile, I think they all see it as "his" again.  Of the songs they're playing, it's the one most associated with Smile and Brian's been singing it since the 2001 tribute concert.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:33:28 PM by Phoenix » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2012, 11:53:10 PM »

Why doesn't Al just sing lead on H&V?

After all the press of Brian finally conquering the demons of Smile, I think they all see it as "his" again.  Of the songs they're playing, it's the one most associated with Smile and Brian's been singing it since the 2001 tribute concert.

I guess I have a soft spot for the way they did it in the 70s.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2012, 12:18:01 AM »

Just wondering...where? I've listened to this at least five times just waiting for it and I don't pick it up. The chorus is usually wobbling and metallic and awful. Not the case here.
The only place on H&V that I really hear ithe autotune on is during the words "I've been in this town". In fact, when it kicks in it throws Brian off key.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Waspinators
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep it Clean with Al Jardine

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2012, 02:44:21 AM »

No fair! I was hoping for Hawaii at the Hollywood show!  Angry
Jimmie_R
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2012, 03:02:08 AM »

Is Jeff doing ALL of the falsetto leads??
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2012, 03:02:30 AM »

Here, in this part of the world, auto tuning means car tuning.
So I have no problem with auto tuned car-songs.
But not for the other songs please.

OMG, I think I ate a clown for breakfast.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2012, 04:24:10 AM »

Is Jeff doing ALL of the falsetto leads??

Scott Totten's doing the insanely high parts of All This Is That, Why Do Fools Fall In Love has a dual lead by what sounds like Jeff and Scott T (with Jeff higher in the mix) and Bruce is takng the falsetto on the end of Fun Fun Fun, but otherwise yes -- which in effect means he's taking one full lead (Don't Worry Baby) plus a bunch of partial leads (chorus on I Get Around,  "Will I joke around" on When I Grow Up, etc). Jeff also takes Carl's part on Kokomo.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2012, 05:14:17 AM »

Mike and Bruce's band always do H&V IIRC so I'm not sure that Brian has ownership. Mike could claim that he was preserving the song for decades in Brian's absence.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2012, 07:59:07 AM »

I don't think anybody's suggesting there's a legal ownership claim, they're just saying that it's identifyable as a Brian Wilson song; if he's on stage, he should be the one singing it since it means so much to his legacy. 
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2012, 08:12:33 AM »

OK, I agree. Did Brian have any say in which 1966-67 version of H&V to use here?
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2012, 09:07:05 AM »

It's almost a hybrid of Brian's band and Mike's band arrangement.  I would rather they either use 'in the cantina', or else leave out the 'You're under arrest'.  It's a minor quibble, though.  I'm happy they're doing ascending bass lines in the chorus.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2012, 09:07:44 AM »

Rocker,

whose Facebook do you keep getting these from?

Mostly I just see the note when Al was tagged in a picture. I don't have Mike, Bruce or Dave in my list but I would see them as tagged as well.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2012, 09:27:23 AM »

Purely rhetorical question: If you're the mother-friggin' Beach Boys, and you have a catalog that includes more top 40 hits than just about anybody ever, then WHY the mother-friggin' H-E-double hockey sticks do you open a set with California Dreamin'? Again, this is purely rhetorical- please don't try to answer the unanswerable. <smiley emoticon>

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2012, 09:36:26 AM »

Because "California Dreamin'" is a great song, was a hit for the BB's in the 80's, still often heard on the radio here BTW, and is so Beach Boys, too bad they didn't write it.

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2012, 09:50:29 AM »

Purely rhetorical question: If you're the mother-friggin' Beach Boys, and you have a catalog that includes more top 40 hits than just about anybody ever, then WHY the mother-friggin' H-E-double hockey sticks do you open a set with California Dreamin'? Again, this is purely rhetorical- please don't try to answer the unanswerable. <smiley emoticon>

Anyone who uses the expression "H-E-double hockey sticks" is all right with me!

I agree though, California Dreamin' is a bizarre choice for this tour.  Replace it with Honkin' Down the Gosh Darn Highway.   Grin

What evs.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2012, 10:24:10 AM »

Yeah, me too. I mean, I love the Brian/Mike split lead from 1967, but when it comes to a live performance of the song it's hard to beat Al. I think it would be cool if Brian and Al doubled each other on the lead.

So I see someone alluded to the structure of Heroes And Villains on this tour. No cantina section it sounds like? I apologize for living under a rock, but I've missed exactly what the structure is... could someone kindly save me the trouble of scrolling through 50,000 pages of posts and summarize how it's being done?

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2012, 10:30:55 AM »

Essentially the standard single arrangement with 'You're Under Arrest' thrown in after the acapella section/before 'My Children Were Raised' and the ascending 'AAAAA' at the end, like wot Brian did at the tribute gig in 2001.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2012, 10:36:53 AM »

Yeah, me too. I mean, I love the Brian/Mike split lead from 1967, but when it comes to a live performance of the song it's hard to beat Al. I think it would be cool if Brian and Al doubled each other on the lead.

So I see someone alluded to the structure of Heroes And Villains on this tour. No cantina section it sounds like? I apologize for living under a rock, but I've missed exactly what the structure is... could someone kindly save me the trouble of scrolling through 50,000 pages of posts and summarize how it's being done?
The split lead would be awesome in 2012, but could Brian and Mike sync properly in doing it?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2012, 10:37:07 AM »

Essentially the standard single arrangement with 'You're Under Arrest' thrown in after the acapella section/before 'My Children Were Raised' and the ascending 'AAAAA' at the end, like wot Brian did at the tribute gig in 2001.

Thanks. Yes, very odd that YUA! made the cut when the Cantina section didn't. Funny, I would have thought for sure they would have incorporated Swedish Frog just for old times' sake.  LOL

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2012, 05:07:46 PM »

Also Bicycle Rider lyrics in the second chorus.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2012, 05:30:18 PM »

The autotune was MUCH WORSE at this show. 

Sarcasm noted.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2012, 02:08:22 AM »

Why doesn't Al just sing lead on H&V? And no "Toca la guitarra!"?

Brian sounds fine singing it when he's not being B-Pained to death. He's also the d00d who sang the lead on the original (although is Al singing the chorus on this tour as he did on Smiley Smile?)

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx