gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:21:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian plotting next Beach Boys album ...  (Read 6535 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2012, 06:39:37 PM »

Are Pleasure Island and The "Rock n Roll" album two different things?

I'll never forget that picture of Brian at the piano around the time of TLOS with a music sheet that had "pleasure island" scrawled on it

A music sh*t?!

Dammit, leave your typos in so I can mock them  LOL
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 06:40:37 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 06:40:55 PM »

i'm fairly certain any time brian wants to record an album, the guys would absolutely be there.  

In my opinion, it may well be the most beautiful thing about the Beach boys.  For all the fighting and strange relationships they've had over the years, for all the mental illness, the drug abuse, the alcoholism... etc....

If Brian writes a song, they work their ass off on it, whether it's "I Just Got My Pay", or "This Whole World".  Their admiration for his musical ability has never even wavered, much less diminished.  They adore the guy.  
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2012, 06:43:29 PM »

1991-2 -- With Landy
1994 -- With Don Was
1997 -- With Joe Thomas
2006 -- With Scott Bennett

At least four!

Blimey, it is the new Shortenin' Bread. Only the Don Was one (on the Landylocked boot) has circulated, right?

There is a poor-quality tape of Brian playing someone the Landy version while riding in a car (!) of all things. IIRC, it sounds pretty much the same.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 06:44:49 PM »

I'll never forget that picture of Brian at the piano around the time of TLOS with a music sheet that had "pleasure island" scrawled on it

You mean this?  Grin

b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »

1991-2 -- With Landy
1994 -- With Don Was
1997 -- With Joe Thomas

At least four!
Somewhat paradoxically, the differences in style between these versions of the song may say more about Brian's collaborators than Brian himself. Perhaps running through "Proud Mary" is a good way for Brian to get a feel for his current creative environment... or perhaps it is, indeed, just the new "Shortenin' Bread."

I love how Brian sings "roll, roll, rollin' down the river" in "Goin' Home" from That Lucky Old Sun. Neat throwback.

- B00ts
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2012, 06:57:16 PM »

Supposedly that album was written while Melinda was out of town for the weekend.... Brian called Scott, and they wrote all the songs (Instead of Brian doing something destructive while left alone).

So..... Melinda famously is considered the one who got him the mental help he needed....

And.... his obsession with "Proud Mary" could be considered part of his disorder.....

I always thought it was interesting that he seems to be singing "She Don't Know, That I Been Rollin' On the River" in the background....
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2012, 07:04:32 PM »

A music sh*t?!

Dammit, leave your typos in so I can mock them  LOL

LOL

You mean this?  Grin

Yeah, I've actually been looking for that picture for a while, thanks for posting it

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2012, 07:27:35 PM »

If Brian really wants to do another album, I think it'll definitely happen (health-permitting).

There's really no reason any more for the other guys not to want to work with Brian, and there's not many good reasons that Brian would want to work solo if everyone's really patched things up.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2012, 07:45:09 PM »

nothing inspires Brian like success and popular acclaim.

Ain't that the truth!  For as much as the collapse of Smile (and everything else going on at that time) foced him to "pull back", it's nothing compared to what the failure of Sunflower did to him.  Bang.  Just like that, he was gone.  He went from full, healthy, and commercial participation on one album, to mininimal involvement on the next; where his biggest contribution was a very dark song about how small he felt. 

And when did he come back?  When the boys were on top of the world, following the release of Endless Summer.  Then after Love You tanked, he was gone again. 

He's got a lot of issues and disappointment really hurts his feelings to some degree.  There's no point doing it if no one cares and he feels the reverse is true in spades!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2012, 09:04:41 PM »

He's point blank said it many times over the years (That he likes to have hits)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2012, 09:25:36 PM »

He's point blank said it many times over the years (That he likes to have hits)

Which is why I think Imagination is a more honest slice of BW than many people believe. It was an expression of a real desire he has -- to please people and to have hit records. He thought that was a way to do it.

People have let Mike set up this false dichotomy -- Brian as melancholy and Mike as positivity -- when Brian was responsible for some of the most extroverted and joyous music from the band. And that joy -- that sunshine-y sound -- is what gave the group nearly all its smashes. Rhonda. I Get Around. Good Vibes.

Brian has a hitmaker's heart, with an artist's brain. Or maybe it's the other way around.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 09:57:39 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2012, 09:47:12 PM »

Amen.
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 09:51:56 PM »

If TWGMTR will be a top seller, and it will be a top seller, there's no question that there will be a follow-up album.
They already have some tracks ready, leftovers from TWGMTR, some by Al, one by Marks, I'm sure Brian has enough new old songs lying in the basement.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2012, 12:52:28 AM »

1991-2 -- With Landy
1994 -- With Don Was
1997 -- With Joe Thomas

At least four!
Somewhat paradoxically, the differences in style between these versions of the song may say more about Brian's collaborators than Brian himself. Perhaps running through "Proud Mary" is a good way for Brian to get a feel for his current creative environment... or perhaps it is, indeed, just the new "Shortenin' Bread."

I love how Brian sings "roll, roll, rollin' down the river" in "Goin' Home" from That Lucky Old Sun. Neat throwback.
That is a good way to look at it b00ts, to test a producer's production style by their version of a favorite song.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2012, 01:14:16 AM »

Haha - the infamous "rock and roll" album is back!

Do you think they'll put Proud Mary on it?

Brace Yourselves!
Extended Ding Dang / Shortening Bread coming up!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2012, 05:27:58 AM »

I can see Mike having fun doing a Rock'n'Roll album, so it sounds possible for a Beach Boys record. Don't have a clue if it will happen, though. I guess Brian just blurted this out in a euphoric way but since this is Beach Boys land we don't know how many lawsuites are going to happen after the tour.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2012, 11:04:59 AM »

I can see Mike having fun doing a Rock'n'Roll album, so it sounds possible for a Beach Boys record. Don't have a clue if it will happen, though. I guess Brian just blurted this out in a euphoric way but since this is Beach Boys land we don't know how many lawsuites are going to happen after the tour.
I read recently that it is going to be 3 lawsuits but as you said, no one knows for sure just yet...

- B00ts
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx