gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680839 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 06:59:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: !!!!  (Read 6778 times)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2012, 02:21:47 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DENNIS-WILSON-RARE-ADVANCE-AUTOGRAPHED-PROMO-PACIFIC-OCEAN-BLUE-BEACH-BOYS-/150798811852?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item231c4f42cc#ht_5200wt_1163

Surely not real!?!?! WOAH!

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 02:30:30 PM »

Damn, if my name was Robert and I could justify spending a thousand dollars on an album I'd never play, I would be all over that.

No mas, por favor.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 02:52:18 PM »

Yes, it appears to be an actual advance promo copy.
The Dennis signature is legit. The greeting, "Dear Robert" may also be in dennis' hand. All the rest was written by a staffer.
The White label LP is no different than any of the other umpteen copies of the promo, whether they came with the actuaql cover or this one.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 03:00:14 PM »

That's a pretty cool piece.  Would look great in a really nice large frame so you could fan the album out from the cover.
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 03:10:10 PM »

I've seen several of these pop up on Ebay over the years.  I really wonder if it is actualy DW's hand writing.  The message is always exactly the same on each one.  Did Dennis actual sit down and hand write several of these letters to go with the promotional album, or did somebody else write them and then have Dennis sign them, or is it  a "secretarial" signature"?
SG7
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 03:13:10 PM »

I've seen several of these pop up on Ebay over the years.  I really wonder if it is actualy DW's hand writing.  The message is always exactly the same on each one.  Did Dennis actual sit down and hand write several of these letters to go with the promotional album, or did somebody else write them and then have Dennis sign them, or is it  a "secretarial" signature"?

Wondering that too. Doesn't look like his handwriting?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 03:17:02 PM »

Bgas above said that Denny signed and possibly wrote the name, but the rest was a staffer.  For the full story... look up 3 posts. 
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 03:27:27 PM »

There were quite a few of those white-labelled Caribou promo albums distributed.  I always saw them in used record stores in the late 70's.

I've also seen that letter before somewhere.  I'd like Jon Stebbins and/or AGD to chime in here, but do you recognize that letter, either from a publication or on the Internet somewhere or in a previous auction? I'm not so sure it's personalized to just "Robert". Dennis might have made a few of those up and put different names of DJ's on them. Sounds a little far-fetched, but I know I've seen that entire letter before. Could be I've seen the same one up for auction before, but not sure.

P.S. It doesn't look anywhere's near the Dennis Wilson signature that I have.  And I know mine's legit!!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 03:28:53 PM »

I've seen several of these pop up on Ebay over the years.  I really wonder if it is actualy DW's hand writing.  The message is always exactly the same on each one.  Did Dennis actual sit down and hand write several of these letters to go with the promotional album, or did somebody else write them and then have Dennis sign them, or is it  a "secretarial" signature"?

Exactly!  You beat me to it.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 03:44:02 PM »

If you look at the "e" in Robert, it was written by the same guy who wrote the same weird "e" in "Very" and "Understand" for instance.  So whoever wrote the paragraph also wrote the name in at the top.  So likely the only legit thing is Dennis's signature (which is in a different color pen, btw).
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 03:57:06 PM »

So likely the only legit thing is Dennis's signature (which is in a different color pen, btw).

Not necessarily a different pen. Looks to be a black pen (or marker) on the sig as well as the letter.  Looks to be the same black consistency in some parts of the sig, a little lighter in other parts.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 03:58:28 PM by Mikie » Logged

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 04:04:51 PM »

didn't you guys buy the reissued cd?  that handscrawn note is in all of them.  I assumed it was in the original LP too.  it's the signature that makes it a big deal. unless the signature is on there too, i don't recall
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 04:12:11 PM »

To me, it appears that the letter portion is actually printed on the actual album and not written by Dennis or a staffer.  The only part that may be handwritten is the "Dear Robert" and the signature.  You don't see a discoloration between the board and the letters...it seems to be all the same surface...no interuption of the pen "resting" on the board.  Of course this could be the case since it is an older piece.  But the ink on the letter is way too perfect for it to be from a live pen.  You can see the streaks of the marker on the signature---not anywhere in the letter.  Just my two cents...
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 04:14:27 PM »

The "letter" was "printed" on the plain white cover of about 300 of these advance copies. The only thing that was actually written on them was the personalized part "Dear" whoever...and then Dennis signed the bottom. These are rare, but probably worth closer to 300 or 400 bucks. And yes, everybody who bought the POB Legacy edition CD in 2008 knows that they put a reproduction of this in the package.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 04:26:41 PM »

It's in the Sony/Legacy CD package!!  I KNEW I saw it somewhere!!  Grin

So the "Dear whomever" and signature is legit Dennis Wilson writing then.

I have multiple copies of the promo album but the sleeves are plain white and don't have letters on them. But only 300 were done like the one above anyway, so...... mine ain't so rare.  Darn.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 06:59:56 PM »

Glad that's all cleared up now

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 07:09:13 PM »

The "letter" was "printed" on the plain white cover of about 300 of these advance copies. The only thing that was actually written on them was the personalized part "Dear" whoever...and then Dennis signed the bottom. These are rare, but probably worth closer to 300 or 400 bucks. And yes, everybody who bought the POB Legacy edition CD in 2008 knows that they put a reproduction of this in the package.

i feel like you were just called into an episode of Pawn Stars. 
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 09:51:52 PM »

Dennis sure had a strange looking signature in his later years.  I have a mid 1970s 45rpm record signed by the group, and his signature looks the same there as it does on this document.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 08:23:53 AM »

If it is phony, at least it's not as phony as the 1985 album autographed by all the guys -- including Dennis -- that was up on eBay a few years ago....

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
SG7
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 10:28:38 AM »

If it is phony, at least it's not as phony as the 1985 album autographed by all the guys -- including Dennis -- that was up on eBay a few years ago....

LOL LOL
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 10:29:25 AM »

Funny you mention this, I was just going to mention that show and how they have said numerous times not to trust anything autographed by a celebrity unless it can be authenticated or documented. There is just so much crap on auction sites and so many suspicious items with forged signatures, it's like walking into a minefield unless you have good documentation.

Go write it up, Chumlee... Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 12:04:11 PM »

Funny you mention this, I was just going to mention that show and how they have said numerous times not to trust anything autographed by a celebrity unless it can be authenticated or documented. There is just so much crap on auction sites and so many suspicious items with forged signatures, it's like walking into a minefield unless you have good documentation.

Go write it up, Chumlee... Smiley
What about my 8x10 of Sean Connery, signed by Roger Moore?

/Simpsons reference

- B00ts
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 04:01:32 PM »

yeah
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 06:16:18 PM by bgas » Logged

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 06:48:04 PM »

BTW, if anybody has any issues with not having a certificate of Autenticity for their autographs, I'll be happy to print you out one with my Microsoft Word program, then sign it.

"I, Ron, Certify that this signature is an actual signature by the listed party.  Signed, ____________(Ron)_________"

It'll look just like whatever certificate of authenticity whoever you got your autograph from printed out on HIS Microsoft Word program Smiley

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2012, 07:27:19 PM »

BTW, if anybody has any issues with not having a certificate of Autenticity for their autographs, I'll be happy to print you out one with my Microsoft Word program, then sign it.

"I, Ron, Certify that this signature is an actual signature by the listed party.  Signed, ____________(Ron)_________"

It'll look just like whatever certificate of authenticity whoever you got your autograph from printed out on HIS Microsoft Word program Smiley

Funny, but true!  I think it's hilarious when sellers offer these certificates. as if that makes the sigs seem better.
Either they're real, or they're not; and if you can't tell, you shouldn't be buying them, unless you don't really care/ can afford to buy fakes and not worry about the $$ spent. 

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx