gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:59:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can I get help to make a good 1968-1977 playlist to convert my hipster(ish) pal?  (Read 6118 times)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 12:41:57 PM »

all i wanna do should be front and center.  any animal collective fan would love (for obvious reasons)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 12:42:29 PM »

"Endless Summer", enough said.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 01:23:01 PM »

"Endless Summer", enough said.

Maybe the cover! LOL
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2012, 01:53:42 PM »

I'll offer up an alternate playlist:

Our Sweet Love
All This is That
Cuddle Up
Surf's Up ('71)
Cool Cool Water
Long Promised Road
With Me Tonight
Forever
Only With You
Our Prayer
Cabinessence

Probably not as representative as your OG playlist, and it's a bit SMiLE-heavy, but hey...
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2012, 02:39:45 PM »

I think anything from this era has to have River Song and Sail On, Sailor.  They simply represent what the Beach Boys "sound" of that era was

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2012, 11:33:29 AM »

I think anything from this era has to have River Song and Sail On, Sailor.  They simply represent what the Beach Boys "sound" of that era was

On the contrary, 'River Song' represents what the Beach Boys sound should have been during this period...
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2012, 01:24:11 PM »

On the contrary, 'River Song' represents what the Beach Boys sound should have been during this period...

I agree, doing roots rock with psychedelia was their thing, the return to Endless Summer perhaps prevented much great music from being made and a change in modern perception of the band. But I wouldn't trade that for Love You  Grin Grin Grin
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2012, 03:30:51 PM »

I remember walking out of a Brian Wilson solo show several years ago and a group of males in their early 20s were singing "Time to Get Alone" at the top of their lungs.  I don't remember if it was even played at the show or not. 
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2012, 04:46:18 PM »

Give him something to re-listen to from Smiley.  Either Wind Chimes or Wonderful. 

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2012, 04:50:52 PM »

And if he's not a Beach Boys fan by this point, just set fire to his bed.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2012, 07:56:06 AM »

Little Pad, With Me Tonight,Whistle In, Mama Says, Vegetable chants, fishies going swim swim, it was Brian in the mic, George Fell Into His French Horn, Brian Farts Into His Piano... Anyone who listens to AC should already be accustomed to repetetive psychedelic chanting and general weirdness.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2012, 12:07:13 PM »

And if he's not a Beach Boys fan by this point, just set fire to his bed.

Solution to 1st world problems: set fire to bed if subject does not enjoy Smiley Smile.  Cool Guy

When the news breaks of what the motive of my future serial killings are, you shall share the responsibility sir!
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2012, 01:09:51 PM »

Honestly your friend has pretty sh-t taste in music if what you listed is any indication.  If I were you I'd have him listen to Love You through headphones repeatedly, just to cleanse his brain from the awfulness that is Vampire Weekend.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 01:13:26 PM by Jason Penick » Logged

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2012, 01:13:53 PM »

Again, if somebody doesn't like endless summer, they will not like their later material.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2012, 01:41:15 PM »

Honestly your friend has pretty sh-t taste in music if what you listed is any indication.  If I were you I'd have him listen to Love You through headphones repeatedly, just to cleanse his brain from the awfulness that is Vampire Weekend.

I agree Love You is therapy music! What do you consider good modern music? I want to expand my musical horizon.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2012, 01:43:46 PM »

Again, if somebody doesn't like endless summer, they will not like their later material.

I listen almost exclusively to their PS and after career. Sometimes I might enjoy deep cuts from their first albums and All Summer Long (song), but the ASL album - Today/Party bearly gets more than a listen a month  angel, I guess ballads aren't my favourite when it comes to this band (and the Beatles for that matter)...
SG7
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2012, 04:16:17 PM »

I agree Love You is therapy music! What do you consider good modern music? I want to expand my musical horizon.

I give you a second opinion. Actually what your friends to isn't all as bad as some of these people say. If we are wanting to always have our modern sound exactly like yesteryear, of course we would be disapointed. I like people who are inspired by the Beach Boys, not duplicates of them. Here's a nice list of "modern" I like.

Of Montreal -  Satanic Panic in the Attic
Adventures in Stereo - Monomania
Stereolab - Cobra And Phases Group Play Voltage In The Milky Night
Animal Collective - Sung Tongs (reminds me a lot of Smiley Smile  in terms of experimentation. Leaf House is my jam.)
The Drums - The Drums

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2012, 04:21:33 PM »

You can't get more modern than JS Bach, seriously, not one of these f*ckers, BW included, has ever come close to catching him up.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2012, 08:44:36 PM »

Anyone who thinks MIU is "genius" has absolutely no room to slam others' musical tastes.  None.

I'll say this about the OP's list.  When I was only familiar with Pet Sounds, Smile and the early stuff, I heard a lot about the greatness of Disc 3 of the GV box set.  When I finally listened to it, I was a bit disappointed, and remember wincing at I Can Hear Music and Long Promised Road.  They seemed SO SO cheesy at the time, and to a lesser extent still do.  And folks like Jason who take mortal offense at the notion that some people dislike certain BB songs-- no need to slam me, because I just don't care what you think.  The point here is to consider what appeals to music fans, not Beach Boys fans.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx