gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681381 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 05, 2024, 10:59:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can I get help to make a good 1968-1977 playlist to convert my hipster(ish) pal?  (Read 6273 times)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2012, 08:38:02 AM »

Hey. My m8 and I are both 21 years old and I've been digging the BB for 3 years or  so now.
My pal admits that PS and Smile are good, but Smiley and Honey didnt seem to appeal that much.

This is how far i've come (I try to make it kinda chronological)

Friends
Diamond Head
Wake The World
Passing By
Busy Doin' Nothing
Little Bird
We're Together Again
Fallin In Love (2009 version)
Celebrate The News
I Can Hear Music
When Girls Get Together
Big Sur (landlocked version)
Slip On Through
Add Some Music
This Whole World
All I Wanna Do
At My Window
It's About Time
Cool Cool Water (3 min single version)
Day In Life Of Tree
Long Promised Road
Lookin' At Tomorrow
Feel Flows
Til I Die (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS34TZR3SNY)
All This Is That
You need A Mess Of Help
Cuddle Up
Marcella
On My Way To Sunny California (single version)
Leaving This Town
Streamboat
Funky Pretty
It's OK
Johnny Carson
Had To Phone Ya
Roller Skating Child
Night Was So Young
Let Us Go On This Way
Mona
I'll Bet He's Nice

Too much? Too little, some adjustments improvements? My buddies like Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear, Of Montreal, Girls, Vampire Weekend, Bon Iver, some rap, and more indie/dance/electro. Mostly Pitchfork rated music.  Afro

THANK YOU  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Edit: plan to show In Concert and Carnegie Hall shows afterwards, and some of the university shows (which are great!)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:22:48 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 09:01:47 AM »

If your pal has a short attention span you may want to narrow the list a bit!

I would add Wake The World and remove It's Ok. Also would remove some of the Love You era songs...not that they're bad but those moog synths may have a bad effect on first listen Cheesy

Overall a great list though!

If you're making a CD mix of this I can send you the MP3 of that Til I Die mix if you want.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 09:02:42 AM »

Did you leave off "Time To Get Alone" on purpose or are my eyes missing it? That one should be first on the list, IMO.

That's a noble effort, and a good list! Hipsters can be fickle. I would say the list is a bit overwhelming because there are so many songs, and if someone gave me a list like that for a band that I was supposed to check out but wasn't yet sold on them, I might not listen to that many songs. Maybe scale it down to the length of an average CD hits package, and if the friend likes that, have another setlist ready to give them.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SG7
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 09:05:05 AM »

The bands you mention your friends having, it helps they already have good taste! Plus half of those bands have gotten inspiration from the BBs which could help too.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 09:18:58 AM »

Of the bands mentioned I think Girls are really good but more interesting when they play faster tempos and wear the sunny 60's influence on their sleeve (he does play a Rickenbacker after all...) but should cut back on the druggie-dirge sounds, and Bon Iver despite all the accolades and listening with a very open ear, I have yet to hear what all the fuss is about.

The thing about the Beach Boys late 60's-early 70's period including many on the playlist already is that the songs are more brutally honest and true than a lot of the bands and artists influenced by them - I think you get what you get without trying to be duplicitous or snide in hiding a meaning or a message when you hear the real deal, The Beach Boys, from that time. The performances are honest, too - when you hear a song like I Went To Sleep, it is what it really sounds like it is, as advertised and no snide winks or nods. It's a kind of honest music that many of the new artists can sound like and obviously love, but still miss that element when delivering their versions of those sounds they love so much. I can't explain it other than to compare some of the newer stuff to the art students at the museum copying the paintings on display for class projects and to learn the techniques before developing their own voice. The copy could be technically perfect, but it's still a copy.

Looking at the list and reading other comments, I'd do a 16-20 song mix of the 68-71 material and start from there. Leave the post-72 songs for another sharing session, especially if there is more interest after hearing the first batch.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 09:30:23 AM »

If your pal has a short attention span you may want to narrow the list a bit!

I would add Wake The World and remove It's Ok. Also would remove some of the Love You era songs...not that they're bad but those moog synths may have a bad effect on first listen Cheesy

Overall a great list though!

If you're making a CD mix of this I can send you the MP3 of that Til I Die mix if you want.

I think I will. Thanks for suggesting Wake The World, I really like that one. And ye It's OK is going out, but my friend liked Johnny Carson after hearing a mixtape by The Avalanches which included that song. So he has no prob with the moog, but which of the Love You tracks should I take away?

I have it already thank you! youtube to mp3 site provided it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 09:34:37 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 09:33:01 AM »

Did you leave off "Time To Get Alone" on purpose or are my eyes missing it? That one should be first on the list, IMO.

I like that one too, but sometimes I feel it becomes too sweet and saccharine. And since I consider myself a hardcore fan of this group I was a little scared that new listeners would dismiss it. I was considering "I Went To Sleep" as well but there is something about the arrangement which dulls it slightly. Thanks for answering!
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 09:39:11 AM »

Remember, 'All I Wanna Do' was the first chillwave song.  It's on Wikipedia as "proto-Chillwave" (seriously) so that must be true.  The Beach Boys were just warming up music for those groovy, warped-and-shat-on-Dario-G-record harmoniez of Animal Collective.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 09:40:03 AM »

I like that one too, but sometimes I feel it becomes too sweet and saccharine. And since I consider myself a hardcore fan of this group I was a little scared that new listeners would dismiss it. I was considering "I Went To Sleep" as well but there is something about the arrangement which dulls it slightly. Thanks for answering!

I just doubt new listeners would dismiss "Time To Get Alone" or "I Went To Sleep" faster than over half of the Love You songs (Roller Skating Child, Johnny Carson), which to many *non-fans* are just bizarre and cheesy (brutally honest), but to each his-or-her own! If it were me I'd give them all the albums from Friends up to Surf's Up and leave it at that.  Grin

Time To Get Alone is one of my favorites, post-Smile. Gorgeous song. The Beach Boys version kills the Redwood/Three Dog Night recording.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 09:47:15 AM »

And what re-ignited my gushing fandom for "I Went To Sleep" was a random radio broadcast on the show "The Many Moods Of Ben Vaughn" http://xpn.org/xpn-programs/many-moods-ben-vaughn, which is the kind of record-loving, have fun playing obscure music kind of show that many hipsters wish they could pull off but can't get past the image issues. And Vaughn himself is such a hip guy he's actually an anti-hipster...or something. But hearing "I Went To Sleep" in the car on that show, that was a thing of beauty.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 09:48:03 AM »

Shorten it down!! Give him just a handful of absolutely killer songs (prefably ones which are going to really surprise the casual BB listener) and once he's listened to those, and hopefully been wowed, then go for the longer playlist.

I recently convinced a sceptical friend with the following cd (and yeah i know i'm cheating a tad with the opening track but what the hell...):

1. River Song
2. Til I Die
3. Feel Flows
4. Long Promised Road
5. All I Wanna Do
6. It's About Time
7. Lady
8. Trader
9. Funky Pretty
10. Cuddle Up

I can truthfully say that he absolutely loved it, and swallowed his pride in telling me so (he'd previously ribbed me mercilessly about my BB fandom).
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »

And what re-ignited my gushing fandom for "I Went To Sleep" was a random radio broadcast on the show "The Many Moods Of Ben Vaughn" http://xpn.org/xpn-programs/many-moods-ben-vaughn, which is the kind of record-loving, have fun playing obscure music kind of show that many hipsters wish they could pull off but can't get past the image issues. And Vaughn himself is such a hip guy he's actually an anti-hipster...or something. But hearing "I Went To Sleep" in the car on that show, that was a thing of beauty.

Thanks for the link! I'm looking out for these underground radio stations with good music, spotify is great but does not give you stuff which is unrelated to the artists one listens to.  Grin
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 10:04:19 AM »

Thanks for the link! I'm looking out for these underground radio stations with good music, spotify is great but does not give you stuff which is unrelated to the artists one listens to.  Grin

I hope you enjoy the show, it's definitely worth checking out! He does different themes every week. Any radio host that plays "I Went To Sleep" as part of a theme show featuring jazzy vocal harmony is worth tuning in... Cheesy

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 10:05:04 AM »

Shorten it down!! Give him just a handful of absolutely killer songs (prefably ones which are going to really surprise the casual BB listener) and once he's listened to those, and hopefully been wowed, then go for the longer playlist.

I recently convinced a sceptical friend with the following cd (and yeah i know i'm cheating a tad with the opening track but what the hell...):

1. River Song
2. Til I Die
3. Feel Flows
4. Long Promised Road
5. All I Wanna Do
6. It's About Time
7. Lady
8. Trader
9. Funky Pretty
10. Cuddle Up

I can truthfully say that he absolutely loved it, and swallowed his pride in telling me so (he'd previously ribbed me mercilessly about my BB fandom).

River Song I forgot! I guess that fits in well with the Add Some Music/Sunflower songs, does the original BB recording exist in fan possesion? I have the demo witht the raw guitar intro, such a kickass song! Thank you for feedback. I'll prob cut the list in half as you recommend.  Azn
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 10:08:17 AM »

If he's into cult music, or modern indie synth music, Love You tracks would be perfect. I've converted people with that album alone, actually. Which tracks to play for a possible convert depends totally on the taste of the person in question. For instance, I converted a Ramones fan simply by playing him the Surfin' Safari album.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 10:13:42 AM »

A while back, I compiled a-post '71 mixtape for my good friend (who incidentally has similar music tastes to your friend) as he wasn't too keen on the whole early sixties 'fun in the sun' schtick. I was there as he listened to 'Magic Transistor Radio' for the first time and I could tell by the enormous smile on his face that he was absolutely blown away by it.

'Magic Transistor Radio'

You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone
The River Song
Marcella
Feel Flows
Lookin' At Tomorrow
A Day in the Life of a Tree

Dreamer
Steamboat
Time
Sail on Sailor
All This is That
Thoughts of You

Some are DW solo, yes, but they likely had the capacity to become Beach Boy tracks (like River Song) and since they also stand up impeccably against material on this compilation, I say, "why not?!"

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 10:19:53 AM »

A while back, I compiled a-post '71 mixtape for my good friend (who incidentally has similar music tastes to your friend) as he wasn't too keen on the whole early sixties 'fun in the sun' schtick. I was there as he listened to 'Magic Transistor Radio' for the first time and I could tell by the enormous smile on his face that he was absolutely blown away by it.

'Magic Transistor Radio'

You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone
The River Song
Marcella
Feel Flows
Lookin' At Tomorrow
A Day in the Life of a Tree

Dreamer
Steamboat
Time
Sail on Sailor
All This is That
Thoughts of You

Some are DW solo, yes, but they likely had the capacity to become Beach Boy tracks (like River Song) and since they also stand up impeccably against material on this compilation, I say, "why not?!"

I was considering adding 'Fairy Tale Music' from GV box and rename the track  Grin It is sonically very stimulating, very indie for 1973!
Lookin At Tomorrow didnt cross my mind, I like it alot and it fits well on SU with its dark tone and feel. I'll consider that one for sure.
Adding DW songs will make it too big, I plan on making one when The Drummer comes out as I'm sure it will gather some attention and might end doing for Dennis what 'Control' did for Ian Curtis & Joy Division! Thank you for good suggestions!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 10:21:53 AM »

If he's into cult music, or modern indie synth music, Love You tracks would be perfect. I've converted people with that album alone, actually. Which tracks to play for a possible convert depends totally on the taste of the person in question. For instance, I converted a Ramones fan simply by playing him the Surfin' Safari album.

I dig 'Love You', but given how divisive it can be even among fans I am scared to put it in someones face. 'Johnny Carson' seems to have some popularity with young ppl I get the impression of. TY for comment!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 10:31:08 AM »

Open with River Song and you can't lose... It's got three Beach Boys singing and/or playing on the track (Carl, Dennis and Ricky) which is more than a lot of official Beach Boys tracks.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 11:01:37 AM »

Open with River Song and you can't lose... It's got three Beach Boys singing and/or playing on the track (Carl, Dennis and Ricky) which is more than a lot of official Beach Boys tracks.

It is?  Grin

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 11:17:21 AM »

It is?  Grin

Day In Life Of A Tree, Brian on organ and Al with a few lines at the end ^^
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 11:21:44 AM »

It is?  Grin

I'm still confused by the statement in bold above - what songs and albums are we thinking of to make a statement like that? Because it was in no way "more than a lot..." when 3 current members were on a track, even in the 70's. I'm just curious to see the basis of that statement, maybe I misunderstood it.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 11:34:24 AM »

It is?  Grin

I'm still confused by the statement in bold above - what songs and albums are we thinking of to make a statement like that? Because it was in no way "more than a lot..." when 3 current members were on a track, even in the 70's. I'm just curious to see the basis of that statement, maybe I misunderstood it.

Well quickly and off the top of my head: Don't Talk, Caroline, No, Feel Flows, Long Promised Road...
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 12:11:36 PM »

It is?  Grin

Well quickly and off the top of my head: Don't Talk, Caroline, No, Feel Flows, Long Promised Road...

I'll agree to disagree here, I don't see the number of tracks with less than 3 Beach Boys anywhere near the number with 3 or more in any decade of their work, especially considering they were a vocal group that featured group vocals most of the time, and the self-contained band played more instruments on those tracks than they'll ever get mainstream credit for. But it's cool. Smiley

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 12:29:34 PM »

Take your list and edit it down to the essential 35-40 minutes. Most people have short attention spans when it comes to unfamiliar music.  Good luck on making a convert of your friend.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx