gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:45:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's problem's...again  (Read 34214 times)
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2012, 01:41:10 PM »

Sorry to bring it up but all the recent publicity is stirring up the "now what's wrong" stuff again from people that know I'm a lifelong fan. "He has some mental issues" I respond. People seem to get it when I explain that he's always talked out of his mouth corner thing, or that he hates interviews so he barley even phones it in anymore. But when it comes to what clinically he has been diagnosed with I'm never quite clear myself. Much of what has been written or speculated upon was Landy type driven B.S. as far as I'm concerned. It would be nice to have a simple truthful answer when people press me on this stuff.

My apologies in advance for those who are tired of these topics. However, the question from the casual fan is legit. Most people just want an understanding of what's going on with Brian, a compassionate frame of reference so to speak.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 01:48:24 PM »

Tell them he has a set of lingering neurological symptoms from having been over-medicated with heavy psych drugs in the 80s.  Is that concise enough?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 02:02:13 PM »

Pick one:

1. Schizoaffective disorder
2. Manic-depressive
3. Tardive dyskinesia

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 02:10:45 PM »

What Mikie said. The second probably expressed itself first, then shaded into the first as the years wore by (mental illness definitions are oftentimes more for the convenience of doctors than a reflection of what actually happens to real people). The third was a byproduct of overmedication and has largely receded.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 02:52:03 PM »

So it's all of the above, and factual based on......?

Not trying to be a jerk, but this stuff ALWAYS comes up when the Boys start getting some heavy media attention. I've had my sister and a co-worker ask just since the Sunday morning thing aired the other day. I'm as tired of it as anyone, despite bringing it up. I'd just like my response's from this point forward to be the truth and not speculation or misinformation.
jwoverho
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 03:04:41 PM »

I don't know if its easily explained or not, but it seems Landy's chemical abuse of Brian in the early 90's did more damage than anything else. Find an interview of Brian from '76-77 and compare it to almost anything from the 90's. Brian seemed lucid and very self-aware during his first "comback", but there are some heartbreaking interviews from the 90's that makes Brian's current state almost a miracle. If Landy had continued his "treatment", Brian might not even be here today. I don't even want to legitimize Landy with derogatory terms.

Brian is a true survivor.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 03:12:54 PM »

Paul,

There have been a couple of good responses already.  And there is some interesting info here on Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Wilson

I understand the reasons for the questions, but the answer is complicated.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 04:04:49 PM »

At this point though, how much is age factored into Brian's current state?  He's nearing 70...surely, that has a lot to do with his current behavior/appearance in addition to the conditions (as mentioned above) that he still continues to fight?
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 06:05:57 PM »

At this point though, how much is age factored into Brian's current state?  He's nearing 70...surely, that has a lot to do with his current behavior/appearance in addition to the conditions (as mentioned above) that he still continues to fight?

we can compare him to other 70 year olds without Brian's issues to see if age has "a lot do with it"

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 06:16:23 PM »

Han Solo looks good for his age

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 06:20:11 PM »

I think after 2 days off Brian may do better at the next couple of shows. He's never looked thrilled on stage so maybe a lot of this is over-played. some of these photos show a pretty happy fellow. Hell if we all walked around with a bigass smile all the time we'd be locked up. Shocked
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 07:55:31 PM »

I've often wondered if Brian has undiagnosed Asperger's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergers

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 07:59:19 PM »

Han Solo looks good for his age

he's indiana jones first in my book
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 08:29:50 PM »

I'd recommend the documentary on Roky Erickson of the Thirteenth Floor Elevators for people interested in Brian's saga, because Roky's life was somewhat similar, though Roky had far less money (which was both a bad and good thing).  Roky had similar problems to Brian (mental illness and drug use), though I think his were at least somewhat worse.  Roky also spent time in state mental hospitals where he was medicated heavily.  His brother had to fight to get control of his treatment and weaned him off the heavy medications he was given for his schizoaffective illness.  Roky actually improved when he got off the medications.  Age is also a factor, because in many cases, people with those types of problems get better over the years naturally.  Roky now tours when for years he was not doing anything.  He's still eccentric but seems to be doing okay now. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 09:34:41 PM »

Read this: It's Brian and Melinda on Larry King about eight years ago.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0408/20/lkl.00.html

Basically, what Melinda and Brian say outright is that he has severe, ongoing depression that occasionally manifests as auditory hallucinations.

The actual story is probably a bit more complicated (Brian's constant tales of 20-minute songwriting binges finishing entire songs in 20 minute bursts seem a bit manic, and the tardive dykensia thing has been covered at length) but that's something simple to tell people.

"Brian and his wife said he has severe depression and hears voices. He takes a few drugs to level out the symptoms."
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:54:50 PM by Wirestone » Logged
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 09:41:10 PM »

20 minute songwriting binges? That doesnt sound too manic, to be honest.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 09:53:23 PM »

Sorry, will edit. I meant that he constantly claims to have finished an entire song, "like that," in 20 minutes.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 10:14:35 PM »

Sorry, will edit. I meant that he constantly claims to have finished an entire song, "like that," in 20 minutes.

i always saw this as just him feeding his legend.  Not for his ego, but because that's what people like to hear.  Carl used to do it for him too.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 10:18:29 PM »

I remember an interview back in the 90's, I think it was with Diane Sawyer, where his face got real contorted. He told her that sometimes he saw the Devil in the showerhead.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 10:28:59 PM »

His brother had to fight to get control of his treatment and weaned him off the heavy medications he was given for his schizoaffective illness. 

I think that's actually precisely backwards...His brother was fighting to get him away from their mother, who was preventing him from seeing any doctors or being medicated in any way.  It's generally thought that his return to music has a lot to do with his getting back into medical and psychiatric treatment and getting on to a medication regime that works for him.

Roky's institutionalization in the 70s may have messed him up pretty badly as well, but it was also somewhat seperate from what he was going through later in life with his mom.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 02:45:06 AM »

There's nothing that strange about that. It's just inspiration. Some artists draft and redraft at great length, some just run right through a song in a few moments. Schubert could write down upwards of 10 songs in a single day with few if any revisions needed along the way.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 02:56:14 AM »

It does when all 20 minute binges are about finishing different versions of 'Shortenin' Bread', it does.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 08:29:15 AM »

I remember an interview back in the 90's, I think it was with Diane Sawyer, where his face got real contorted. He told her that sometimes he saw the Devil in the showerhead.

Well, supposedly he was talking about the past in that interview.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 08:37:05 AM »

His brother had to fight to get control of his treatment and weaned him off the heavy medications he was given for his schizoaffective illness.  

I think that's actually precisely backwards...His brother was fighting to get him away from their mother, who was preventing him from seeing any doctors or being medicated in any way.  It's generally thought that his return to music has a lot to do with his getting back into medical and psychiatric treatment and getting on to a medication regime that works for him.

Roky's institutionalization in the 70s may have messed him up pretty badly as well, but it was also somewhat seperate from what he was going through later in life with his mom.

There is a follow-up story in the DVD in which Roky's brother Sumner said he no longer believed in the concept of mental illness or psychiatry.  He had Roky taken off of medications (that was elaborated on in some interviews that were given around the time of the DVD release).  When the brother first got a conservatorship of Roky, he brought him in for medical care, including getting him on medications.  After living with Roky for a couple of years, he decided Roky would be better off without the meds.  I'm not sure what made him change his mind, whether it was the side effects outweighing the benefits of the meds or maybe Sumner got into some religion like Scientology.  In any case, Sumner also had himself removed as conservator, after Roky stopped taking medications, learned to drive again, and began living independently.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 08:38:16 AM by mcg1119 » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 08:37:18 AM »

Smiley
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 08:54:25 AM by Mikie » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx