gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 07:15:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Scandinavian Member  (Read 8544 times)
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2012, 02:32:17 AM »

Hi, Rick and Dave!

Been an avid Beach Boys fan for 76 per cent of my life time, got my first record when I was seven years old (it was their 1964 live album). Since then I have bought (or by other more shady means obtained) all of their albums + solo materials. Not the best singer in the world but I can pretty much sound like both Mike Love and Dennis Wilson (but not at the same time  Shocked).

I am looking forward to their new album and all of the interesting discussions here. I recently discovered this place, it is much better than the bloo board it seems.

All my life I spent my nights with dreams of this Smiley Smile message board - I am so glad to have joined it!

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 02:54:24 AM »

Welcome!  It's a great site Smiley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 05:50:19 AM »

welcome! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 07:04:51 AM »

Thank you!  Smiley

Can anyone guess where my nick name comes from?

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 07:05:05 AM »

Welcome!
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 07:07:05 AM »

Welcome!
Love your avatar. Agnetha Fältskog.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 07:11:19 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 07:14:32 AM »

Thanks!
beach boys fan podcast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 07:20:31 AM »

hejhej swedish frog! quite a few of us scandinavians here:)

http://www.thebeachboyspodcast.podbean.com
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 07:51:27 AM »

Hey, good to have ya

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 09:43:36 PM »

Welcome!
Love your avatar. Agnetha Fältskog.

Agnetha!  Shocked   I didn't pick that.  Was a huge Abba fan when I was little, still love their music. 
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 06:58:14 AM »

Yeah, ABBA are my favorite band.  I just got my copy of The Visitors deluxe cd/dvd with the new demo track last night.  Tomorrow I'm buying my Beach Boys concert tickets for Red Rocks.  It's sizing up to be a good week.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 07:43:33 AM »

Yeah, ABBA are my favorite band.  I just got my copy of The Visitors deluxe cd/dvd with the new demo track last night.  Tomorrow I'm buying my Beach Boys concert tickets for Red Rocks.  It's sizing up to be a good week.
I love ABBA too. My favorite acts are The Beach Boys, Simon & Garfunkel, ABBA and Leonard Cohen.

Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 07:56:32 AM »

That's a good collection of favorites.

By the way, since no one else took the bait, where does your nickname come from?
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 12:13:33 PM »

That's a good collection of favorites.

By the way, since no one else took the bait, where does your nickname come from?
It is from the SMiLE sessions, from a track that is referred to as "Heroes and Villains: Part 3 Animals (Master Take)". Remember listening to it as a teenager, thought it was cool they talked about Sweden - then I learned the Wilsons and Love have Swedish ancestry. Mike talks about that during his infamous Rock and Roll Hall of Fame speech in 1988.

Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 01:01:14 PM »

Cool.  I'll listen to it later.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 08:57:08 AM »

Are "swedish fish" (the candy) really made in Sweden?

Grin

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 12:00:23 PM »

Are "swedish fish" (the candy) really made in Sweden?

Grin
Yes, absolutely. Smiley

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 12:03:11 PM »

In an attempt to introduce myself further I have here posted a song I am working on, it is a work in progress.

Here is the link: http://soundcloud.com/swedish-frog/i-hear-whispers-from-below

Any feedback is welcome.  I hope you will like it.

Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 06:40:17 AM »

Hi, I don't want to bother you with a new thread, but I'm a new Scandinavian member as well (if you count Finland as Scandinavia, it depends). I've been lurking here for over a year now, and finally decided to join the fun, fun, fun (drum roll here).

After years of dismissing the Beach Boys as a bubblegum act who don't even play on their own records (and for an angry young punk rocker it was a major issue), I finally fell in love with the music in 2007. Bought the Pet Sounds because it was supposed to be the greatest album ever, didn't really like it, but I decided to listen to it until I get it. And, lo and behold, after a couple of listens I did get it! My life hasn't been the same since: it became so much better.

And, as an introduction, here's me in 2010, singing and playing with my bandmates. The song is called Kiva kundi (Nice guy), and I wrote it about myself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA0aG7mjcq8

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 01:46:30 PM »

Hi, I don't want to bother you with a new thread, but I'm a new Scandinavian member as well (if you count Finland as Scandinavia, it depends). I've been lurking here for over a year now, and finally decided to join the fun, fun, fun (drum roll here).
Finland is not a part of Scandinavia, but you are still equally welcome!

And, as an introduction, here's me in 2010, singing and playing with my bandmates. The song is called Kiva kundi (Nice guy), and I wrote it about myself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA0aG7mjcq8
Cool song, sounds just like Lordi!  Wink
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 01:47:44 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 02:01:18 PM »

Finland is not a part of Scandinavia, but you are still equally welcome!

You know up till today, I did not realize that Finland was not really part of Scandinavia.  I learn something here every day!  I know that Finland was variously occupied in the past by Russia and much earlier by Sweden.

In Los Angeles, we had an excellent composer/conductor, the Finnish American Esa-Pekka Salonen.

Fun reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Finland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esa-Pekka_Salonen

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2012, 12:16:21 AM »

That's right, Finland is one of the Nordic countries, but not part of the Scandinavia. Historically and genetically more tied in with Eastern parts of Europe. Between two worlds, really. Congrats on your new baby princess, Swedish Frog! Monarchist or not, you gotta admit she's cute! Hope Daniel has some proper taste in music and lullabies her with "I wanna pick you up".

The band was named after Schwerbelastungskörper in Berlin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwerbelastungsk%C3%B6rper), and only because the name sounds wonderfully kooky and the structure itself is so absurd (so no sympathies whatsoever for the party that built it). Thank you for the welcomes, nice to be here!

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx