gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 04:07:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The last GREAT Beach Boys song in your opinion  (Read 31157 times)
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2012, 10:28:41 AM »

were they autotuning you??

Drum

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2012, 10:47:33 AM »

were they autotuning you??

Drum

Don't think God himself could correct something that far off pitch.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wall of (Pet) Sound(s)
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2012, 10:48:07 AM »

Last GREAT song? Sail On Sailor.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2012, 10:54:31 AM »

"Good Timin'", but even then, that's a lesser great than, say, some of the late 60s or early 70s stuff. Even after that period, after "Good Timin'", there's certainly still plenty of good.

Solo careers included, "Midnight's Another Day" or "Live Let Live" (one of Brian's best songs imo - all eras included), although again, certainly plenty of good to be found afterwards.

P.S. Also, imo, "Sail On Sailor" is... well, it's good. It's just good. Pretty darn good, but good. imo. Never got why this one is included in everyone's top tracks or is considered the last "great" song by the d00dz. Great Blondie vocal, but the melody and arrangements feel kind of uninspired. Drenched and tired. NO OFFENSE SRY
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 11:01:16 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2012, 11:21:32 AM »

You're Still a Mystery

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2012, 11:53:49 AM »

"Good Timin'", but even then, that's a lesser great than, say, some of the late 60s or early 70s stuff. Even after that period, after "Good Timin'", there's certainly still plenty of good.

Solo careers included, "Midnight's Another Day" or "Live Let Live" (one of Brian's best songs imo - all eras included), although again, certainly plenty of good to be found afterwards.

P.S. Also, imo, "Sail On Sailor" is... well, it's good. It's just good. Pretty darn good, but good. imo. Never got why this one is included in everyone's top tracks or is considered the last "great" song by the d00dz. Great Blondie vocal, but the melody and arrangements feel kind of uninspired. Drenched and tired. NO OFFENSE SRY

I like Sail On Sailor but I hear what you're saying. It doesn't have the lush chord changes that I associate with Brian's greatest songs.

I never got on with Live Let Live. That sounds uninspired to my ears. From TLOS, I'd say MAD, Oxygen To The Brain, Southern California, Message Man and Just Like Me & You have that Wilson magic.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2012, 12:08:51 PM »

I have a feeling that, as someone else has said, the Last Great Beach Boys Song is yet to come. And we might not have to wait too long.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2012, 12:38:23 PM »

I'll go with Good Timin' and Baby Blue (one of DW's very best as far as I'm concerned).

Still, even after that came several very good ones, most notably Kokomo, Getcha Back (too much of a rewrite in order to be called truly great, I guess), Santa Ana Winds, Goin' On, Somewhere Near Japan, Male Ego, and Lahaina Aloha (again, very derivative but still a personal favorite of mine).
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2012, 02:27:25 PM »

I have a feeling that, as someone else has said, the Last Great Beach Boys Song is yet to come. And we might not have to wait too long.

Been way too long...can't wait too long..
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2012, 02:41:24 PM »

... and for some reason I had you down as a pessimist! Well, that's a bold prediction. Surely, the strongest song from this reunion project would have been the one already released, i.e. twgmtr, but would be great if you're right. I won't be holding my breath though.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2012, 02:46:30 PM »

... and for some reason I had you down as a pessimist! Well, that's a bold prediction. Surely, the strongest song from this reunion project would have been the one already released, i.e. twgmtr, but would be great if you're right. I won't be holding my breath though.

I actually get the feeling that "That's Why God..." may be the most commercially/artistically balanced track, but that the best track(s) from the album are yet to be heard.  I really think Brian has one more stone-cold Beach Boys classic left in him - maybe I'm just falling for the hype, but my money is on the suite.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2012, 03:24:54 PM »

I was right.  Grin

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2012, 04:01:59 PM »

I was right.  Grin

Which song then? Come on, spill dem beans.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2012, 04:17:56 PM »

Why is TWGMTR surely the strongest on the album? Just because it was the first single?  Beacuse the group is talking it up (because it is the first single)?  Those who have heard the album don't seem to agree with that sentiment.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2012, 04:25:09 PM »

Why is TWGMTR surely the strongest on the album? Just because it was the first single?  Beacuse the group is talking it up (because it is the first single)?  Those who have heard the album don't seem to agree with that sentiment.

I haven't been following these threads so was just assuming that the strongest track was the one released. Will be happy to be proved wrong! Has agd heard the album then, hence the confident predictions?!

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2012, 04:28:50 PM »

Are we strictly talking about a song off the new album - or a song on an archival release (eg, the much discussed WIBNTLA)?

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
sheknowsmetoowell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2012, 05:03:33 PM »

Why is there so little love for TWGMTR?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2012, 05:07:12 PM »

Because for Beach Boys fans, there is nothing worse than what really exists in commercially available form. It's only what is rumored to have been or what theoretically might yet be that gets anyone excited. Once something is real, it's all about finding the warts.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2012, 05:08:42 PM »

I love it. Don't care what anyone else thinks, just scroll on by......
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2012, 05:17:28 PM »

I've been thinking about this for days, and as much as it pains me to say it (because of the thrashing I fear), I have to say that I honestly think the live version of "Summer In Paradise" is a great song.  I like it a lot more than many of the band's early hits and I feel the same way about "Somewhere Near Japan".  Not only do I think SNJ is a great song but I rank it above anything new (and just right behind "Soulful Old Man Sunshine") the band has released since Holland. 

But as it's been said, I think there's still some greatness left in the band.  (I like TWGMTR and it's still growing on me but it hasn't quite achieved "great" status with me yet.)  I'm sure I'll find something great on the new album.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2012, 05:17:50 PM »

May be the way I phrased it - I like twgmt. The natural pessimist in me feels it unlikely that there will be a better song from this reunion but I obviously hope I'm wrong! I haven't been following the discussion much so have no idea who knows what and what the general level of expectation is here.

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2012, 05:23:25 PM »

I haven't been following the discussion much so have no idea who knows what and what the general level of expectation is here.

The general level of expectation here seems to be Very high, really low or as expected  LOL

Personally, I'm lovin' it and taking it as it comes - exciting times (and please, BBs, finalise those Australian dates)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 05:28:28 PM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 04, 2012, 05:59:32 PM »

"That's Why God Made The Radio" is certainly tolerable enough, but probably has no business being named in this thread. imo.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 04, 2012, 06:06:04 PM »

"That's Why God Made The Radio" is certainly tolerable enough, but probably has no business being named in this thread. imo.

Tolerable = pleasant in my estimation, but otherwise you're right on.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2012, 01:40:37 PM »

Classic is one that makes you go "oh wow" first time you hear it, usually with the first few bars.

The last Beach Boys recording that stuns me every time I hear it has the first few bars ruined by a totally pointless voice over. It's "Santa Ana Winds" from KTSA. I know many of you prefer the earlier version, but the released version has such a great build up, so well arranged vocal harmonies, so well arranged strings, to my mind it is so beautiful that it moves me to an extent the better songs from Pet Sounds do. No kidding.

The only other song who achieved that is the mentioned Midnight's Another Day. Close to that is "It's Not Easy Being Me" from the Paley sessions.

I also have a weak spot for "Getcha Back" and the song "Summer In Paradise" (EU version).

I listened to some of the songs mentioned in this thread. I found that "Where I belong" is better than I remembered, but it should have a more heartfelt instrumental track recorded under those vocals... Wink 2

Lastly, I listened to TWGMTR again and I must say... the vocal arrangement is absolutely great, so is the composition, but the backing track could have used some more interesting ideas. How about bringing back the Theremin or have the drums have an AM sound during the verses? Some nice strings?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx