gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680839 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 06:24:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "...Rhonda"  (Read 5132 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2012, 11:41:11 PM »

Can somebody please explain to me why any mention of this song means you're asking to be banned?

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 11:42:25 PM »

Please explain what you mean?
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 11:43:26 PM »

If I type out "Help Me Rhonda," well, once I click post, this should be self-explanatory.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 11:49:41 PM »

I think the filter is being too efficient. Look at those two letters missing (hint - Partially Mangled), and all will become clear.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:51:45 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 11:51:39 PM »

Are we not allowed to ask for help?

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 11:52:18 PM »

It's a word filter. Just ignore it. And don't ask people to send you private messages containing links to illicit material.

Also don't talk about the song Help Me, Rhonda. Rhonda wronged a lot of people in the process of helping out Mr. Jardine.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:53:28 PM by stack-o-tracks » Logged

No mas, por favor.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 11:53:55 PM »

I think the filter is being too efficient. Look at those two letters missing (hint - Partially Mangled), and all will become clear.

I liked your first response better....

No mas, por favor.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 11:57:19 PM »

I liked your first response better....

Indeed - I'm an author, no need for correct spelling or internal coherence.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 02:25:01 AM »

It's a word filter. Just ignore it. And don't ask people to send you private messages containing links to illicit material.

Also don't talk about the song Help Me, Rhonda. Rhonda wronged a lot of people in the process of helping out Mr. Jardine.

You can get the name of the song right if you do it like stack-o-tracks, with [ i ][ / i ] (without blanks) between "Help" and "Me".

"Help Me, Rhonda" - This could now actually become the standard demand for a private message... Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 05:19:59 AM »

Could someone please Help Me Rhonda?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 05:28:53 AM »

Could someone please Help Me Rhonda?

It can only be a few minutes until this post got you banned! Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 02:25:42 PM »

this word filter is fucking ridiculous.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jason
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 03:04:31 PM »

this word filter is fucking ridiculous.

I agree, but people don't seem to understand the rules, so we have to enforce the rules in terminology that they will understand.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 03:16:28 PM »

but censoring the title of one of their most popular songs, a song which will feature every night during the reunion show, thereby marring every setlist with mere mention of it?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jason
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 03:28:18 PM »

It wasn't designed to censor the title of Help Me Rhonda. It was just an unfortunate consequence of board members being unable and/or unwilling to follow the rules.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 04:17:51 PM »

It wasn't designed to censor the title of Help Me Rhonda. It was just an unfortunate consequence of board members being unable and/or unwilling to follow the rules.
Do you think that censoring PM really will help though? The reason I axe is because most people, as you mentioned ipn your sticky post, write things like Pre Menstrual or Passed Muster, rather than the initials PM.

- B00ts
Jason
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 04:49:24 PM »

You operate off of the mentality that the Powers That Be who read this board are stupid. I assure you they're not.

The issue is not that we want to censor it, but we have to get the message across somehow. Discretion. Use it. Using ever so creative (yet increasingly irritating) ways to beg for stuff does not hide the intent. The mods really don't want the issue to escalate and we don't like banning people...but we'll do it if we have to otherwise get the point across. Remember back a few months ago when the board was down for a few days and the entire Smiley Smile membership was taking to other forums in a figurative fetal position wondering where their dear old board had gone? If this PM thing isn't brought under control, this board could be gone for a lot longer than a few days.

As mods, we can't regulate what's in everyone's PMs and it's not our business to. However, the Perfectly Miraculous Postings Making Proper Messages Practically Makes stuff allows for the possibility of your PMs being rather, well, NOT private - especially if the PTB want to know what the people requesting via not-so-cryptic PM requests are doing.

We're just trying to let you guys know and remind you all to be a bit more discreet. The PM thing on the board just paints a proverbial bulls eye on one's back.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 06:08:10 PM »

Respectfully, you yourself are operating off the assumption that everybody here reads every single post or thread. There's a new tour on, so there are a billion new posts. I happened to stumble across your warning late in the game, after I'd accidentally made an ass of myself by posting something I didn't realize was suddenly more sensitive than it seemed to have been.

So that's why the board went down before? This is the first I've heard of it. I would have presumed technical error.

I realize you put a thread of its own for this--which I also found late and by accident. My suggestion would be: if it's truly this important--and I would posit that our board members here would genuinely want to know--why not flag that thread with something including all-caps and some asterisks? (e.g. ***IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO ALL MEMBERS! PLEASE READ!***)

Then those of us who don't have the time to skim every single post or thread will know something important is up.

Then we won't have all the anxiety and name-calling.

And then we'll have world peace.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 06:47:44 PM »

You operate off of the mentality that the Powers That Be who read this board are stupid. I assure you they're not.

Just curious, was there an incident or a complaint that's led to the recent crackdown?  I haven't noticed much in the way of PM requests lately.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 11:04:40 PM »

So that's why the board went down before? This is the first I've heard of it. I would have presumed technical error.

How soon we forget - there was a net-wide hacking by some asshat in Pakistan/Bangla Desh (I forget which) that affected tens of thousands of sites.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx