gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681351 Posts in 27635 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 04, 2024, 03:40:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sunflower dropped from rolling stone magazine top 500 albums  (Read 6707 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2012, 02:46:28 PM »

This magazine is irrelevant for a reason.
http://entertainment.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/27/11430886-kanye-west-gets-3-albums-on-rolling-stones-revised-500-greatest-list?lite

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 03:19:12 PM »

Lol, ugh. Such a bad magazine. It actually makes me happy to know that my tastes are, for the most part, different than the goons who write that garbage.

No mas, por favor.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 03:59:16 PM »

What you guys aren't mentioning is that one of the added albums is SMiLE.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 04:28:03 PM »

What you guys aren't mentioning is that one of the added albums is SMiLE.

Dude, there's fuckin' THREE Kanye West albums that are apparently better than Sunflower. What the hell kind of world is this?

No mas, por favor.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 04:39:06 PM »

The Beatles with four in the top ten is crazy as well.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 10:03:07 PM »

The Beatles with four in the top ten is crazy as well.

Especially since none of them are Abbey Road. And Sgt Pepper is number one. hahahahahaha
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 10:46:12 PM »

What you guys aren't mentioning is that SMiLE was one of the added albums.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 07:42:26 AM »

SMiLE should be at least in the top 50.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 09:53:39 AM »

Rolling Stone's job is selling ads via a broad pop culture magazine. There's no reason to take its best-of lists as anything of note, or to criticize them for being something other than to your tastes. Why would they not include Kanye albums, for example, when Kanye is a huge figure in pop music? Readers want to see their favorites on the list. The ads Rolling Stone sells aren't exclusively for the male, over-50 set that presumably makes up the bulk of people who think every Beach Boys, Beatles, Kinks, Zombies, etc. album should be among the top 500 (to the exclusion of modern music). So neither will their lists be.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 11:07:05 AM »

Rolling Stone's job is selling ads via a broad pop culture magazine. There's no reason to take its best-of lists as anything of note, or to criticize them for being something other than to your tastes. Why would they not include Kanye albums, for example, when Kanye is a huge figure in poDo I really wanna get banned?usic? Readers want to see their favorites on the list. The ads Rolling Stone sells aren't exclusively for the male, over-50 set that presumably makes up the bulk of people who think every Beach Boys, Beatles, Kinks, Zombies, etc. album should be among the top 500 (to the exclusion of modern music). So neither will their lists be.

Yep. And at the same time they want to make just the right choices so that they might be taken somewhat seriously and maintain their authority in the world of music journalism.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 11:28:37 AM »

Yes, but not "taken seriously" in any real use of the word serious. Rather, be accepted by as broad a buying base as possible without anyone taking too much time to think about it other than to say, "oh, good, [so-and-so] made the list...but damn, [whoever] didn't," after which said reader pretends to have read Taibbi's latest (but probably more or less just absorbed the headline and subhead so as to pretend to be informed and enraged at some establishment position--let's just wait for the next talk show appearance to soak up the rest) before suddenly and inexplicably giving in to the urge to buy that new Samsung Smart Camera that is advertised four different times on a single webpage. Content is just the advertisement to draw in consumers to the real business, which is the advertising of product.

It doesn't matter at all. It's fine. Lists are enjoyable to make and to argue about. But even someone who does make it with the most honest of intentions doesn't matter, because there are still too many variables, be they matters of definitions, purpose, taste, or whatever else.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 11:31:42 AM »

btw, I don't mean to sound like I'm on some anti-business rant, either. The key to my posts are the sentences "It doesn't matter at all. It's fine. Lists are enjoyable to make and to argue about."

I swear I'm not grouchy!

cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 12:03:10 PM »

I don't blame them. I give them credit for including Sunflower in first place.

I would put Pet sounds and Today in my top 100 + Sunflower or Smile...don't know which one...I can't include 4 albums by a band I started listening to a few months ago.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 01:14:10 PM »

Grrrrr...!  Those left-wing loons have really done it this time!   Angry

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 01:37:33 PM »

Don't get all your panties in a bunch, I am sure Pet Sounds is still at #2.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 03:36:55 PM »

TASTE IS SUBJECTIVE

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 04:37:43 PM »

Don't get all your panties in a bunch, I am sure Pet Sounds is still at #2.

It is.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 05:39:13 PM »

It's all subjective, I disagree with every list I've ever read in any magazing in my life.  That I disagree with this list too doesn't really surprise me. 
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 10:45:40 AM »

The problem with the list is primarily:

It ranks them explicitly, instead of just saying they are all top 500, the part with the Beatles have 4 albums top 10 shows how uninspired this magazine is.
Many people would not even make White album top 4 beatles. 'honey pie' is an example of this.

It encompasses too many genres, and therefore becomes redundant, how can one compare Sunflower with Kanye West, it just doesnt make sense. Like comparing different fish T_T

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 10:50:43 AM »

Is Kanye West doing anything now besides fucking Kim Kardashian and being photographed coming out of restaurants?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 02:11:02 PM »

Like comparing different fish T_T

or "fishsticks"  Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNoQXo8yeLc
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 11:14:12 PM »

Is Kanye West doing anything now besides f*cking Kim Kardashian and being photographed coming out of restaurants?

I was pissed Taylor Swift didn't make the list too.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 09:23:34 AM »

[/quote]

I was pissed Taylor Swift didn't make the list too.
[/quote]

LOL
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 04:18:23 PM »

Sometimes you guys are so biased, anyways those Kanye albums are better than Sunflower. I love the Beach Boys and I'll admit it..dude Kanye is a modern day genius..that has an ear for music & creates some of the best music out today. If you can't hear that maybe it's because you don't like hip hop. He's not the typical "shoot up gangsters & slang crack" hip hop artist of today he brings something new to the game just like the Beach Boys once did.
Do anybody have the list? or know when it'll come out?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 04:30:50 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2012, 04:51:12 PM »

Please stop, you are just wrong.
Kanye talks, not sings.
Plus, he autotunes and has technology on his side.

And... Better then Sunflower?!?!
Just stop.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx