gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:12:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Worst Beach Boy Song  (Read 14506 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2012, 12:47:49 PM »

I wonder what Brian was thinking during the summer of love video shoot...  Grin

"This is actually quite bearable after 'eating a few sandwiches' if you know what I mean."
LOL, And that was the day Brian decided to finish SMiLE.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
JCarson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2012, 01:07:20 PM »

I'm surprised no one's mentioned "Hey Little Tomboy", either of them!

Okay, so a few people have mentioned Hey Little Tomboy. If by 'worst' you mean most morally repellent then HLT has got to be a front runner. The released version is bad enough - on lyrical terms (the music itself is okay), but the unreleased version is beyond the pale. Just listening to that thing... those hideous ad libs... makes me utterly nauseous. Teenage boys singing their romantic fantasies about teenage girls can be sweet (thus early Beach Boys). Men in their late thirties singing about teenage girls shaving their legs is just sick, sick, sick... and then those snorting noises... agh! It's a glimpse into some kind of hell, and I'm never listening to it again...

Rant over. Normal service resumed.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 01:10:31 PM by JCarson » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2012, 01:21:31 PM »

"This is actually quite bearable after 'eating a few sandwiches' if you know what I mean."

This is way too self-congratulatory but I just noticed that I had Brian say "if you know what I mean" to himself in his own head and laughed out loud.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2012, 01:35:22 PM »

This is way too self-congratulatory but I just noticed that I had Brian say "if you know what I mean" to himself in his own head and laughed out loud.
Not at all rockandroll, Brian "ate a few sandwiches" like he did in 1966 and got the SMiLE spirit back...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2012, 01:39:40 PM »

Okay, so a few people have mentioned Hey Little Tomboy. If by 'worst' you mean most morally repellent then HLT has got to be a front runner. The released version is bad enough - on lyrical terms (the music itself is okay), but the unreleased version is beyond the pale. Just listening to that thing... those hideous ad libs... makes me utterly nauseous. Teenage boys singing their romantic fantasies about teenage girls can be sweet (thus early Beach Boys). Men in their late thirties singing about teenage girls shaving their legs is just sick, sick, sick... and then those snorting noises... agh! It's a glimpse into some kind of hell, and I'm never listening to it again...

Personally I do not find any Beach Boys songs offensive, but if HLT upsets you you might not want to listen to Lazy Lizzie.

Here it is covered by some guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo4viCn1cbw

I have not heard Brian's original.

Edit: I have now heard Brian's recording.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 01:53:55 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2012, 04:31:32 PM »

Not at all rockandroll, Brian "ate a few sandwiches" like he did in 1966 and got the SMiLE spirit back...

Then this song is good for something!   Grin
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2012, 12:48:24 AM »

Audio: in 24 years of being a fan never could endure LEAVING THIS TOWN, HOLD ON DEAR BROTHER or PASSING FRIEND in their entirety.

Video: there is a video of Mike and Dean in skiing suits singing JINGLE BELL ROCK. The horror! The horror!

Agree on everything, but I like Passing Friend.

That said: the synth 'solo' (interlude? stopgap?) in Leaving This Town sounds like Greg Lake out of 'Lucky Man', after 144 Valiums.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2012, 07:56:12 AM »

The by far worst Beach Boys song is Chain Reaction of Love.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 08:16:40 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »

That said: the synth 'solo' (interlude? stopgap?) in Leaving This Town sounds like Greg Lake out of 'Lucky Man', after 144 Valiums.

Hahaha! Exactly.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2012, 10:02:52 AM »

The snorts aren't on the original - the website added those.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2012, 10:12:47 AM »

Worst Beach Boys song? Either "Full Sail" or "Maybe I Don't Know". Those are two songs I get embarrassed about even if I am alone.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2012, 01:47:39 PM »

Just endured parts of the SOL video. OMG. Everything that was ever wrong with the group is in here. Every cliche that people love to volley at the group is offered up. So incredibly sad.

As for "Spring Vacation":
Somebody said they heard more than the 20 seconds from the YouTube video--where can we hear the "more"? Besides our own stereos a month from now? (And who wrote this one again?)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx