gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680836 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 08:36:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Worst Beach Boy Song  (Read 14646 times)
Gdraft
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2012, 11:21:15 AM »

I'll again say that anyone naming anything before 1980 or so is on drugs. ^_^
Maybe the 1979 "Here Comes The Night" would be my only real contender.
Hate to say any BB songs are not superb, this one however is not the best by a long shot! The BB's can leave disco alone!

Everybody lies
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2012, 11:28:20 AM »

Somebody did mention hey little tomboy. For me SDT's lyrics only fail at the end. It's just kind of a lame ending, lyrically speaking. I mean, the whole concept of do a cover of a classic with different lyrics is pretty lame(though worked on Surfin' USA, lightning doesn't strike twice) but it's a rockin' track. Tree is awesome, one of my top twenty, I also like Michael row your boat, I think it is very well produced, sort of son of Sloop John B I wish there was a better sounding way to hear it.
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2012, 11:54:23 AM »

Having watched the Summer of Love video, I'd like to retract my prior nominations.  That has to be one of the worst songs ever - period.
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2012, 03:16:20 PM »

Take A Load Off Your Feet - I hate it even more than Student Demonstration Time and that takes some doing. California Calling, Everyone's In Love With You and TM Song are also horrifyingly bad, as is virtually all of Summer In Paradise.

One of the first songs my daughter learned when she was 3 or 4.

That and "Yellow Submarine" were her favorites.  Now at 12 her favorite acts are Adele, Taylor Swift, the Beach Boys and the Beatles.

I credit "Take A Load Off your Feet"

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2012, 03:27:28 PM »

What makes a song like "Summer of Love" so bad is that somebody thought it was hit material.  Pretty much all of the songs nominated that were recorded pre-1977 were not viewed as potential number one singles.

I can say with complete confidence that "Summer of Love" will never be something I will appreciate.  I can't say that for even the bad pre-1977 material.  One of the things that makes Brian a genius is his ability to put something charming in everything he does. (It took 35 years for me to appreciate "Love You" but I never stopped listening to it because of the moments).

The Beach Boys without Brian have some great moments (the Brianless parts of "Surf's Up", CATP & Holland for example) but when they suck it is beyond redemption.

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2012, 03:40:27 PM »

Audio: in 24 years of being a fan never could endure LEAVING THIS TOWN, HOLD ON DEAR BROTHER or PASSING FRIEND in their entirety.

Video: there is a video of Mike and Dean in skiing suits singing JINGLE BELL ROCK. The horror! The horror!

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2012, 03:41:53 PM »

I erm...sort of like...California Calling. Shrug
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2012, 05:45:38 PM »

I'm sure why this thread even exists. Summer of Love, as others have stated...is beyond awful, and the most terrible song ever recorded by the Beach Boys.  Does ANYONE even like that song? It's...it's unimaginable that Carl even sang on this, I don't want to believe it. I try and forget SIP as an album that ever existed, pretending that some other awful early 90's surf group recorded it. It's just so bad...and Summer of Love is just the worst thing. Ever.

Oh, and uh, in second place is Wipeout. Also cannot be disputed.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 06:00:11 PM by Zach95 » Logged

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2012, 06:14:21 PM »

God Only Knows.

just kidding.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2012, 07:21:52 PM »

Angel Come Home
Going South
Maybe I Don't Know
Passing Friend
East Meets West
Chasin' The Sky
Make It Big
Problem Child
Strange Things Happen
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2012, 07:26:34 PM »

Angel Come Home
Going South
Maybe I Don't Know
Passing Friend
East Meets West
Chasin' The Sky
Make It Big
Problem Child
Strange Things Happen

Sounds like a pretty good playlist to me.  Grin
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2012, 11:51:46 PM »

Angel Come Home? You kidding. That's a lovely song. And what's with so many people picking Funky Pretty? It's one of the best songs on one of their best albums - absolutely fantastic fade, so many amazing interlocking harmonies!

But anyway, each to their own and all that... Christ, i'd never seen Summer of Love video before. That really is painful to watch! Just when you're starting to quite like Mike Love something like that comes along to remind you of his crimes. Seriously, Dennis must've been spinning in his grave when they recorded that video! And this is the same band who made Smiley Smile??!!

Can anyone think of any other rock/pop band who've scaled such incredible heights and yet also plumbed such depths?? I know most bands have had good and bad periods, but no-one else seems to have done it to such extremes as the BB's.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2012, 08:10:45 AM »

God Only Knows.

+1 

Pirate

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
rogerlancelot
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2012, 12:59:25 PM »

I have no need to hesitate on this response:

"(I Saw Santa) Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree" from 1998's Ultimate Christmas cd. Where do I begin:

- Brian's backing track (of which he plays drums and keys) does not keep to any sort of strict time structure, it almost sounds really drunk (maybe it was the heroin?).

- The lyrics. Credited to Brian Wilson & Alan Jardine. Please make it stop!

- Al's kids (Matt & Adam) on dialogue and a bunch of other BB kids for back-up vocals.

As a matter of fact, I just plain hate all Xmas records by major rock artists. Go back to being relevant, why don't you???!!

P.S. Test: PM pm Oh hey guys, I'm being cute and testing the moderators!Yes yes yes, I don't know how to follow the rules!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2012, 02:30:17 PM »

I really like every single song mentioned in this thread.

I'm a bigger fan than any of y'all.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2012, 03:07:30 PM »

Spring Vacation, with the inevitable rhyme of vibration and vacation. Have heard more of the song, though not all of it. What a load of sh*t.

Honk! Honk!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2012, 11:59:11 PM »

No competition: Surf's Up.

It never goes anywhere, there's drugs in it, and it's too  long.

Music for sissies.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2012, 07:28:52 AM »

Well people I may need an alcoholic drink for lunch after seeing that SOL video. That period was the dark ages for me as a Beach Boy fan. I stopped seeing them on a regular basis, could not take the cheerleaders or what Landy had done to Brian. I remember picking up SIP in the record store and then wisely putting it back on the shelf assuming it would stink. I had no idea how bad.

Angel Come Home is no where close to a worst ever Beach Boys song.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2012, 08:11:51 AM »

This ought to put this thread to rest. enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RryIroTqs-k
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2012, 08:22:02 AM »

Am I the first one to mention "Spring Vacation"?

Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2012, 11:57:13 AM »

This ought to put this thread to rest. enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RryIroTqs-k

As horrible as that is, the SIP video still trumps it.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2012, 12:03:36 PM »

that's my favorite version of Jingle Bell Rock. seriously. I think Mike and Dean's voices are perfect for Christmas songs.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2012, 12:12:57 PM »

All of the votes for "Summer of Love" are dead on correct. Yeah there's been album tracks and hard to find tracks that could possibly be worse musically (notice I said possibly worse) but what puts SOL on top as mentioned earlier is that it was put out as a single. Somebody actually thought this would make a hit single. I like to think of it as the Plan 9 From Outer Space of songs. A song so bad that it's hilarious. There are absolutely no redeeming qualities about it whatsoever. Musically, lyrically, vocally everything about it sucks. The video is the icing on the cake too.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2012, 12:29:34 PM »

I wonder what Brian was thinking during the summer of love video shoot...  Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2012, 12:36:07 PM »

I wonder what Brian was thinking during the summer of love video shoot...  Grin

"This is actually quite bearable after 'eating a few sandwiches' if you know what I mean."
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx