gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681020 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 11:36:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Artwork is out (oh no)  (Read 28517 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2012, 10:20:30 PM »

The arts growing on me... I like the alternate ones too.... but I think they have a real desire to have the name be really bold to try and get that brand higher consciousness. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2012, 10:21:28 PM »

Thanks guys! I'm glad you like it  Smiley I just made an alternate version by shaving the width of the Capitol Stereo arrows and making them square. I think it better fits the sleek, modern vibe of the rest of the cover.

EDIT: Changed the font for Runners ^_^

This is amazing.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2012, 10:23:47 PM »

I know, right?  He's going to screw around and end up with a job, lol. 

You know they probably need variations on that cover, where what we're talking about (logo recognition) isn't as important, like posters and such.   
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2012, 10:25:49 PM »

The waves are fine, representative of the band and their music. The BB logo is too big if there is going to be a vinyl release, probably it will look OK on CD. In the days of cassette it would have been a good sized logo.

Maybe that is not the final version. But I've seen a lot worse.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2012, 10:27:11 PM »

Wow, I like the new cover.
It reminds me of a church window or something they would use for a religious booklet cover (sorry, can't find a better word, but you probably know what I mean).
Totally unexpected for the Beach Boys and fits with the title.

That's funny, the cover to me looks like lots of psychedelic raindrops.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2012, 10:29:40 PM »

To me it looks like waves you would see in a child's animation show, like a skit on Sesame Street or something like that.  I mean that in a good way, very beautiful and serene. 
Les Chan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2012, 10:30:03 PM »

I really would like to see a picture of the 5 Beach Boys included on the cover.  I remember seeing 15 Big Ones for the first time and it was a WOW!!
RBennett123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2012, 10:33:45 PM »

I like it!!!!
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2012, 10:37:16 PM »

It reminds me of a church window or something they would use for a religious booklet cover (sorry, can't find a better word, but you probably know what I mean).

I see many butt cheeks.

No mas, por favor.
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2012, 10:55:34 PM »

I see many butt cheeks.

So you're basically saying that you see yourself multiplied? Interesting.

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2012, 10:57:45 PM »

Sort of, but less hair.

No mas, por favor.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2012, 10:58:26 PM »

The arts growing on me... I like the alternate ones too.... but I think they have a real desire to have the name be really bold to try and get that brand higher consciousness. 

Personally, I find the big golden 15 B.O's logo to be very cumbersome and too obnoxious for an otherwise gentle album cover. They've got a beautiful piece of artwork on the bottom half and whoever designed this cover is marring it by going for the cheap 'people are going to notice this logo stick out like a sore thumb so it'll help with sales!' move. If I were only a casual listener, that'd be an enormous turn off for me.

I don't mean to sound all self-righteous here, but I do think an understated band name graphic like in my mockup really ties in nicely with the context of the rest of the cover and that the lack of bells and whistles is in itself a bell/whistle!

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2012, 11:07:02 PM »

To me, it looks like an odd combination of the Smile cover, and the Mt. Vernon and Fairway ep cover. I was kind of hoping that the album cover would be the new 50th Anniversary logo, and the name of the album would have been called Celebration. Or "The Private Life of Bil and Sue", just to f*ck with people.  Grin

You know, they probably should have hired earcandy to do the artwork.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
obscurereference
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2012, 11:42:19 PM »

I keep looking at this and i am seriously stunned. I have no idea how this got through all the way to be the final cover but it’s remarkable that it happened, that this is the face of a BEACH BOYS product in the year 2012. I predict that the cover will be the biggest risk regarding the album and reunion, the unsafest thing they do (though i hope to be proven wrong with the 7 minute suite, which is the only thing to which i am looking forward). Hell, this is probably the biggest risk they’ve taken since 1977. It’s so reminiscent of the old, classic Beach Boys, when they were a relevant, artistic act! I gotta say, this cover alone has piqued my first real interest in this whole Beach Boys reunion thing, wow.

This! Sure maybe the logo doesn't completely match the cover but I think that's just nitpicking (not that I don't like all the alternate covers people have made!). They could very easily have gone for a generic group shot in front of the sea, or say a surfboard in the sand; it kind of reminds me of the Love You album cover in that way.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2012, 12:15:47 AM »

Excellent cover. Reminds me of the Mount Vernon And Fairway EP cover.

WTF ?  It's nothing like that cover. You're confusing the 'single' (w/period radio) with the album, I'm thinking.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2012, 12:39:42 AM »

I see many butt cheeks.

I see more boobs than butt-cheeks.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2012, 12:42:57 AM »

Not enough nipples....

No mas, por favor.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2012, 02:16:57 AM »

It doesn't look good.
But if I like the music...I don't care.
That is really what matter, After all Summer in Paradise had some pretty good artwork but the album was horrible and of course Pet Sounds is a MUCH better album than it's cover.

The artwork for Summer In Paradise is the most dismal and rediculous cover to ever come out. It can only be compared to one other cover which matches it in blandness and lack of taste: Keepin' The Summer Alive.

These two albums are the least tasteful covers of famous albums I can think of.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2012, 02:22:10 AM »

Prefer the original (your first modification, that is, not Capitol's original!)!  Type layout very much from the All Summer Long LP; font suits the Waves/bums/nipples in the artwork perfectly.  The artwork, however, still reminds me of Mum & Dad's old kitchen wall paper for me to even take this seriously as an album cover.

Anyone any idea whether the vinyl might come in a gatefold?

“We live in divisive times.”
Luke_Barshack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2012, 03:35:22 AM »

I keep looking at this and i am seriously stunned. I have no idea how this got through all the way to be the final cover but it’s remarkable that it happened, that this is the face of a BEACH BOYS product in the year 2012. I predict that the cover will be the biggest risk regarding the album and reunion, the unsafest thing they do (though i hope to be proven wrong with the 7 minute suite, which is the only thing to which i am looking forward). Hell, this is probably the biggest risk they’ve taken since 1977. It’s so reminiscent of the old, classic Beach Boys, when they were a relevant, artistic act! I gotta say, this cover alone has piqued my first real interest in this whole Beach Boys reunion thing, wow.

I agree.

I was stunned when I saw this art. It's bold, it's exciting and yes, it's very contemporary. It tastefully harkens back to the 60s while not looking out of date, or even nostalgic.

I've never been a fan of the 15 Big Ones logo - and it looks terribly out of place on this.

This is a Beach Boys cover though - and I'm used to having to make regular compromises with my personal tastes!

If this is any indication of what could possibly be inside, we could be in for a treat.

As a footnote - I was surprised there was no Capitol logo front and centre too.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2012, 04:29:23 AM »

I like it.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2012, 04:45:09 AM »

I personally think it's pretty ugly, but still I'm glad with this design. They went for something nostalgic but daring and artistic, instead of the beach/surf board/woody kind of thing that I expected (like on the 'Songs from Here & Back' or 'In the Key of Disney' covers). Let's hope that in that sense, the cover is symbolic for the music. This cover seems to be aiming at the indie crowd rather than the casual mainstream fans and that can't be a bad thing.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 04:56:04 AM by shelter » Logged
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2012, 05:59:03 AM »

It reminds me of something the High Llamas would have as a cover.

I like it.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2012, 06:00:41 AM »

I warms to it. I like the cooper black one too, thanks Krabklaw!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2012, 07:14:24 AM »

LOVE IT. Looks fantastic. Glad they are not going with something cheesy like surfboards and the usual bland imagery (like on the Disney album cover).
Great stuff. Would love to have a vinyl copy/print to hang on the wall.
That poster's revision is even better. Much better typeface for sure.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx