gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 08:01:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Actual TWGMtR Single...  (Read 8136 times)
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: April 26, 2012, 12:36:24 AM »

Not sure if its worth a new thread - probably not - but the single is now properly available. I know this because I have downloaded it from iTunes and listened to it a number of times in 256kbps (which, flac freaks, is adequate I think).

And the official composers of That's Why God Made the Radio are...

Joe Thomas, Brian Wilson, Jim Peterik & Larry Millas (N.B. I know this because its embedded in the mp3.)

Btw, who is this Jim Peterik that everyone seems to have little that's nice to say about?

And one final thing, I think, as with the DiA remake, the Boys voices were faded in and out at certain moments to give them a spot, and sometimes these are mid-line (i.e. at 1.00 and 2.00 where Bruce starts to sing the title and (I think) Brian finishes it).

I would guess this was done largely to flatter the individual band members rather than to make the song better.

And for Mike fans I suspect that the deep rumble just right of centre at 0.32 may be the elusive Love bass vocal.

It's a bit of shame that its been buffed and polished to within an inch of its life, as it would have been nice to have heard something more natural and human sounding, but at least this way it stands a chance of being a hit.

Personally, I'm thrilled that they've done this.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 12:55:48 AM »

Jim Peterik was the frontman of Ides of March, most popular for this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiLaNEFyCiM [Larry Millas was the other guitar player]

Jim Peterik was also the keyboard player in Survivor, most popular for this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPJPFnesV4&ob=av3e

I think both those songs are more iconic than That's Why God Made the Radio could ever become.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MBE
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 01:27:31 AM »

Jim Peterik was the frontman of Ides of March, most popular for this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiLaNEFyCiM [Larry Millas was the other guitar player]

Jim Peterik was also the keyboard player in Survivor, most popular for this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPJPFnesV4&ob=av3e

I think both those songs are more iconic than That's Why God Made the Radio could ever become.
It seems like Joe brought them in. Am I correct?
MBE
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 01:36:37 AM »

Also my local record store said that record store day this last weekend was better than ever. They should have released this on a 45 as I know it would have moved a lot of copy's,
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 02:08:03 AM »

I'm not paying money for an MP3. I don't have or want an MP3 player. I'll happily buy the single in physical form, or lossless though.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 02:31:39 AM »

I'm not paying money for an MP3. I don't have or want an MP3 player. I'll happily buy the single in physical form, or lossless though.

But I am in the UK, and we don't have Walmart here...

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 02:39:54 AM »

I just can't bring myself to pay for an MP3 knowing I'm going to buy the physical album later on. I am an economical man and I have gigantic hands and I can buy many guitar and I know what boys like.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 04:11:36 AM »

For the purpose of bumping it up the UK charts I would buy a CD single. I will buy a 45 if it's released because I like 45's.

If it's only available as an MP3 then I'm not wasting money on it.

Thus far, Amazon UK is only offering a download. Which is a real shame.

Having said that, it's #2 in Amazon UK's rock download 'chart' so somebody is paying for it.

I've heard it twice on Youtube, so I'm holding off all comments about production and sound quality until I hear it properly but the song itself is nice....inoffensive, good harmonies, fair lyrics, pleasant, definitely has a proper Beach Boys feel to it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 04:14:37 AM by absinthe_boy » Logged
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 04:53:19 AM »

Having said that, it's #2 in Amazon UK's rock download 'chart' so somebody is paying for it.

Is it? Maybe I should support our boys then.
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 06:07:49 AM »

Thanks for the info. I did a quick research. Peterik wrote both the #2 hit Vehicle and the huge "Eye of the tiger". Doesn't seem like this Millas has written anything of note.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 07:30:16 AM »

I've ordered the German CD single - or rather, I *tried* to order it. It's still on pre-order, so there's no shipping date and therefore no delivery date.

Seems a bit mad, in this age of lightspeed-fast electronic information overload, that a single can be released and available all over the world, but there's no indication of when a physical CD of it might ship or (and this is the real clincher), any information anywhere on-line about what the track listing will be when it finally materialises!

Or is that info out there, and I just missed it? I'm guessing that one of the first places in the whole world the track list for the single CD would appear would be here, of anywhere... but I can't find any mention of it so far...

And for those of you out there with the 'please join us in the MP3/21st century world and just download the damn thing' comments... well, sure, I have an iPod, and a big-ass old iTunes library, and I use the iPod on the hop and in my car all the time. But I like having a physical CD as a backup. If the only format you have the music in is as a downloaded MP3, whatcha gonna do when your drive dies? And don't tell me it doesn't happen...

But it's NOT just about data security. Much more to the point, I'm also an audiophile. I like to have my music lossless as well as in iTunes, and I play a lot of stuff on an old-fashioned stereo, with a vinyl deck and a CD player, through nice speakers, while sitting on a comfy chair listening to the music and not doing a whole lot else. That's one of my major enjoyments in life, the same way some folks sit on the back porch and have a smoke, or read the paper, or whatever. I get the baby settled, sit on the sofa next to my wife who'll probably be there with a book, and just soak up the music. Sitting hunched in front of a laptop screen listening to a crunched-up MP3 through some, uh, so-called 'multimedia' speakers is NOT the same thing in my book. Not the same thing at all.

Sure, download MP3s for ease of initial access and portability (and I already ripped the YouTube soundtrack so I can hear TWGMTR whenever I want)... but for real enjoyment of music, it's a CD or a record and the stereo EVERY TIME for me. And that's why I've got the physical single on pre-order.

Plus, hopefully there'll be some bonus tracks with the thing when it eventually turns up...!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 07:36:31 AM »

Another thing -- Jim Peterik was in Brian's band for a brief time in 1999.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 07:45:56 AM »

Another thing -- Jim Peterik was in Brian's band for a brief time in 1999.

Wasn't that just for Chicago & Milwaukee?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 07:48:50 AM »

I've ordered the German CD single - or rather, I *tried* to order it. It's still on pre-order, so there's no shipping date and therefore no delivery date.
Same situation here.. Maybe they put Al Jardine in charge of making up release/delivery dates.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 08:09:04 AM »

it would have been nice to have heard something more natural and human sounding

The live versions will be less perfect.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 08:13:22 AM »

Who does the fact-checking for the BBoys?? It was Marconi who gave us radio!

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 08:14:06 AM »

I just can't bring myself to pay for an MP3 knowing I'm going to buy the physical album later on. I am an economical man and I have gigantic hands and I can buy many guitar and I know what boys like.

For Gods sake is 99p for the new Beach Boys single. Loosen the purse strings and show you favourite band some support
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 08:15:09 AM »

Anyone seen a UK release pre-order for the physical single, or album for that matter? Or is it, like "Postcards" going to be an import-only item?

Or are they keeping it under-wraps until the UK tour dates are announced?

Or maybe they're selecting choice bonus cuts for the UK audience?  Undecided

EDIT: the US album is now available for pre-order on amazon.uk, as an import of course.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:16:33 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 08:15:50 AM »

I grabbed the mp3 from Amazon and am going to wait and see what else turns up.  I have a indie record shop close to me that carries imports so if there is a physical release of TWGMTD down the line they should have it.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 08:19:04 AM »

And one final thing, I think, as with the DiA remake, the Boys voices were faded in and out at certain moments to give them a spot, and sometimes these are mid-line (i.e. at 1.00 and 2.00 where Bruce starts to sing the title and (I think) Brian finishes it).

I would guess this was done largely to flatter the individual band members rather than to make the song better.

I heard someone famous on this very board (one of the esteemed guys who worked with the boys back in the day) mention something about this on here once.  He was criticising (I think) a dvd, or music video, saying that a good producer would turn up a particular track when that person was on screen, I.E. when they show a picture of Dave playing guitar, turn up his guitar in the mix.  When they're showing Bruce singing, turn up the Bruce vocal slightly to make sure people hear exactly what he's singing, etc.

So that's pretty interesting. 
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 08:38:47 AM »

The Ides of March had a couple other hits - their first was "You Wouldn't Listen" from late 1966. Interestingly Jeffrey Foskett covered it on one of his CDs. And in 1971 they put out "L.A. Goodbye", which I think is a damn good record. It has some real nice vocals for sure. There are later You Tube videos of the Ides playing it in the last few years, but the original 1971 recording is much better.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 08:46:16 AM »

Same situation here.. Maybe they put Al Jardine in charge of making up release/delivery dates.

Yeah, they should have had God make the shipping department, then maybe we could get THIS DAMN CD ALREADY!
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 08:57:23 AM »

Whoops, I meant to say Tesla gave us radio.

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 09:28:11 AM »

I thought it was Macaroni........

Head Spin Head Spin

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 12:37:04 PM »

For Gods sake is 99p for the new Beach Boys single. Loosen the purse strings and show you favourite band some support

Indeed. Come on you old skinflints...

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx