gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:01:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unreleased Live shows ?  (Read 9761 times)
pmugghc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2005, 04:22:43 AM »

Anyone knows how much good live show material is available to the BB record companies ?  ANything being planned for release, e.g. a live box-set ?

One show I'd like to get my hands on is the Radio Luxemburg show from '72, excellent when I heard it live on the radio, but the sound quality of some of the boot mtrl isn't that good.

Thanks, Roland
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 07:22:46 AM »

I too would love to have more live material from that era.  I'm not sure what is still available but I've gathered that there is indeed more.

Anyone else care to comment?
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 01:00:59 PM »

More Blondie and Ricky!

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 01:02:54 PM »

I too would love to have more live material from that era.  I'm not sure what is still available but I've gathered that there is indeed more.

Anyone else care to comment?

Yes. There is.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 01:08:02 PM »

I suspect that, as with all things Beach Boys, getting ANY product from the vaults to the shelves of your local retailer means running a gauntlet of permissions and lawyers and old animosities and anything else you can think of.  Which is unfortunate, because i'm sure there's plenty in there that people would LOVE to buy and have.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 08:46:21 PM »

Comment to Susan -- I have the master tapes from a concert mix that I did many years ago from the Philadelphia Spectrum.  It was broadcast to stations along the eastern side of the country and billed as a live show special.  It's about 90 minuites long.  The performance was great and the mix quite good.  The tapes are 15 IPS.  I think I've got the only ones.  It would make a good collector's interest album.  Another BB engineer has some concert tapes and is working to get them out.   ~swd
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 12:10:31 AM »

SWD- killer insight as always!!
Didn't your elementary school teachers tell you that if you brought something to class, you had to share it with everyone else!!  Wink 
I kid you! Glad you poke your nose in on other forums!!  Cool
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 06:18:11 AM »

Comment to Susan -- I have the master tapes from a concert mix that I did many years ago from the Philadelphia Spectrum.  It was broadcast to stations along the eastern side of the country and billed as a live show special.  It's about 90 minuites long.  The performance was great and the mix quite good.  The tapes are 15 IPS.  I think I've got the only ones.  It would make a good collector's interest album.  Another BB engineer has some concert tapes and is working to get them out.   ~swd

See???  I KNOW we would pay for an official release of something like that!

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Jason
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 06:20:04 AM »

4/18/80 to be exact. An excellent show. Look for it.
Jason
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 06:22:11 AM »

The BBs need their own bootleg label. Maybe they can find ways to release audience recordings of rarer shows. I would kill for an authentic, cleaned-up release of the 1971 Fillmore East shows with the Grateful Dead (yes I know the Dead tried to release the tape, but BRI stopped them) and the closer at the Fillmore in June.

And for crying out loud, release the "dozen" concerts recorded during the 1972-73 tours!
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 09:08:20 AM »

The BBs need their own bootleg label. Maybe they can find ways to release audience recordings of rarer shows.
Killer idea !! Beach Boys Handmade. Still I Dream Of It label. Sandbox label! Glass Eye records. Or beat the boots and call it- The Sea Of Tunes label! Didn't Pearl Jam have their own private label a handfull of years ago?? If not them then some equally insipid 90's into the 00's band. Great concept, tho.
I think the BB's may be too corporate for a private label- but what a dream!
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006, 11:44:46 PM »

yeah Pearl Jam has their own label, and doesn't care if their fans, or anyone download their songs, make recordings from concerts and what not. wish all bands were like that

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 04:56:04 AM »

We've discussed this before and I can't believe that BRI or Capitol still haven't picked up on the idea. The Doors have Bright Midnight that releases quality archive gigs, The Who release just about every darned gig they perform these days, Pete Townsend puts out his own stuff... all limited release, high quality... The Beach Boys set a high standard for reissues with the two-fers and the Good Vibes and Pet Sounds box sets but are falling behind in the aspect of live material... unless you count Knebworth. But I'd rather see all that early 70s stuff put out properly.    Maybe it ought to b left to the bootleggers, who keep proving time and again that the stuff's out there!

“We live in divisive times.”
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 05:54:54 AM »

What's the situation with video of this stuff?

Sprinkled throughout "Endless Harmony" there's lots of great looking footage... like that outdoor gig with Blondie singing Sail on Sailor...

Were these filmed in full?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 07:41:36 AM »

Maybe the new live CD will contain some of those killer tracks...
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2006, 10:08:43 AM »

Maybe the new live CD will contain some of those killer tracks...

Uh, what new live CD?  Do you have specific info we don't/haven't heard?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2006, 10:18:52 AM »

There's been chatter the past couple of weeks (or less) here and on the Blueboard that there is new Beach Boys product to be issued in 2006, and most people say it is live concert stuff. Not sure whether it's a single concert or best of several, but I believe I've heard it's from the later years (80 or after).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2006, 10:45:40 AM »

Check out the 'Other News' section on the ESQ website. That's the only place that I've heard of new, live product being released Cool

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2006, 12:39:13 PM »

One show I'd like to get my hands on is the Radio Luxemburg show from '72, excellent when I heard it live on the radio, but the sound quality of some of the boot mtrl isn't that good.

Thanks, Roland

Your one of the few people who've heard a good quality version of "I've got a friend". Congratulations.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2006, 02:36:00 PM »

it'd be great to hear the Beachago stuff.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2006, 08:51:18 AM »

When Carl returned after his solo period, the reunited and rejuvinated band performed some of their best live material in years.  I'd settle for a recording of one good 2 hour show from that period.  A 2 disc set.

Or I'd settle for more live early seventies.  Or more of the Live in London stuff.

Or really, truth be known, more of anything I haven't heard Grin
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2006, 09:29:41 AM »

I'd love to hear some of the Love You-era tracks live, provided they were done well.

Watch out for snakes!
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2006, 11:44:54 AM »

That wonderful film of Blondie performing Sail On Sailor in the 70s actually derives from silent 16mm footage shot by Ed Roach.  I had to read lips in order to figure out what they were singing, and then synced the film up with the live track from the 1973 concert LP.

Alan
LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2006, 11:59:39 AM »

I never knew that.  Wow, awesome stuff, Alan.  Smiley

Check out my music on my website: http://www.myspace.com/lauriebiaginimusic
Jason
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2006, 12:06:26 PM »

I'd love to hear some of the Love You-era tracks live, provided they were done well.

That would mean listening to a lot of 1977 shows....where the quality of performances was rarely exceptional. A commonly available gig from the 1977 tour featuring a lot of Love You is the Largo, MD 1/16/77 show done on the day of Jimmy Carter's inauguration. There's a 12/15/77 soundboard out there with a lot of Love You material, the performances are mild at best.....mainly uninspired. My opinion is that the Love You songs just did not translate too well to a live setting.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx