gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:54:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for media reviews of TWGMTR single  (Read 9735 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 09:30:07 PM »

Exactly!

Maybe if I could hear Mike anywhere it would create more Beach Boy-like balance!

I feel petty complaining like this. It's a great song. It's not simply that Jeff is there covering for Brian. I take no issue with that. It's just the WAY he sings that I don't like, and I guess it's my right to feel that way. But whatever. Brian approves, so I do too.... I guess.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 09:42:39 PM »

Mike is in there. I think the confusion is due to the change in his voice - he is more hoarse now in the lower range. He is still a great singer, of course, but the bass Mike Love signature is not as clear on this song or on "Do It Agin 2011."

- B00ts
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 10:06:51 PM »

i think this song doesn't require a bass vocal, and people are looking for mike there, when he's actually singing mid.  but you can only hear him for a certain part, his voice is surprisingly weak on the recording
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 10:20:56 PM »

Hey, I like the new song n' all, but NPR has apparently reported that it is better than anything off the Holland album, or Love You, for that matter.

Hmmmmmmmm......................

Not even close.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 12:19:13 AM »

I was kind of wondering to myself why the blend seemed off and why there was a voice I didn't recognize...then it hit me that it's probably just that I'm not used to hearing David Marks in there.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2012, 12:55:29 AM »

"Really nails most of the group's output, to be honest."

You're missing 'emtional depth'.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2012, 05:29:55 AM »

It is the best new Beach Boys single of the next 400 years, starting right NOW.

At which point Brian will release a new Beach Boys single.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2012, 05:58:56 AM »

Exactly!

Maybe if I could hear Mike anywhere it would create more Beach Boy-like balance!

I feel petty complaining like this. It's a great song. It's not simply that Jeff is there covering for Brian. I take no issue with that. It's just the WAY he sings that I don't like, and I guess it's my right to feel that way. But whatever. Brian approves, so I do too.... I guess.

To each their own. I hate Blondie's voice on a lot of their early 70s stuff.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2012, 06:42:00 AM »

I'm sure this has been covered, but in all of this I missed who wrote the song. I'm sure it wasn't Brian and Mike. Arranged by Brian (?), written by _______???
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2012, 06:45:58 AM »

I'm sure this has been covered, but in all of this I missed who wrote the song. I'm sure it wasn't Brian and Mike. Arranged by Brian (?), written by _______???

Thomas, Wilson, Peterik, Larry Millas

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2012, 07:36:57 AM »

Brian and Mike are the only ones I can here. Oh and Jeff.  Evil
You can't hear Bruce on the "Fallin' in love"?

Or Al's "in my car"?

Also "like a prayer."

Yeah. This morning in my car, I finally found Al. I think the reason why I can't find Bruce is because I don't know what he sounds like these days. Dave I know I can't find because I haven't a clue what his voice ever sounded like.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2012, 01:00:19 PM »

Bruce is singing all the high parts that sound like an old man is singing them. David doesn't sing any lines on his own but he's the voice in the harmony that makes the harmony sound different than the regular blend.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2012, 01:13:02 PM »

"Really nails most of the group's output, to be honest."

You're missing 'emtional depth'.

Depends on the tunes, really. Most of the big surf and car hits don't have much -- at least not overtly.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2012, 07:24:54 AM »

http://www.holymoly.com/music/video/beach-boys-reunion-single-better-any-us-couldve-hoped62756
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2012, 01:23:51 PM »

http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/04/top-10-mp3s-of-the-week-427/

The first single off the Beach Boys’ reunion LP of the same name, “That’s Why God Made the Radio” practically sounds as divine as its title foreshadows. Vocally and harmonically speaking, these (near-) septuagenarians are incredibly virile, and that’s what ultimately lends the song its irresistibly tuneful and nostalgic charms. Still, there’s something to be said about the pristine guitar work and rhythm section, both of which conjure up a very familiar warmth. With this, we’re talking maybe the Boys’ best bit since 1977’s Love You, real talk.
cube_monkey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2012, 01:38:19 PM »

One BB song is worth 10,000 words here . Smiley   If i was music critic i would say its perfect for what the bb's are now.   kinda reminds me of Good Timin'.   I give it a thumbs up.  except brian didn't write it.  I wonder if "God" in the title is some ty in to God only knows.   I don't think you can compare it to Holland.  Different time,  different ideas.  They were trying to be creative then and be relevant.   I don't think that would work now.   
This song isn't the production genius (brian?) of Steamboat, but thats quite ok.  The beach boys can sing about nostalgia, they have earned it..and they created most of it for me!!!!!
I guess...no...Mess O' Help To Stand Alone, on the tour? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA ...no? Smiley   Ok, how 'bout Transcendental  Meditation from  Friends? no? Smiley  If they did that song, it would be 1 million words on this board. Smiley
hahahahhaa.

Jay
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »

Mike is in there. I think the confusion is due to the change in his voice - he is more hoarse now in the lower range. He is still a great singer, of course, but the bass Mike Love signature is not as clear on this song or on "Do It Agin 2011."

His "She said…" line in Al's Don't Fight The Sea is classic Mike. Perfect delivery. On the accompanying video, that moment – when he stares right into the camera, sneers and dares you to challenge his questioning of 'Crow cries uncover the Cornfield' – is the moment the Beach Boys really came back.  That's Mike fit to bust yer balls!

Check it out at 4:44 in this video:

http://youtu.be/P8vx2njD_EU

“We live in divisive times.”
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2012, 01:48:47 PM »

except brian didn't write it.

Except that he did. Well, co-wrote it, at least.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2012, 01:59:47 PM »

How will we formally confirm that this song is a hit? Are we monitoring the billboard top 40 and is that our benchmark?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2012, 02:04:07 PM »

Top 40 at least.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2012, 02:16:55 PM »

i think he arranged/produced the track, and worked a lot on the tag (that's the most wilson part of it).  But i'm pretty sure the verse and chorus and bridge were given to the band as they are. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2012, 02:37:51 PM »

i think he arranged/produced the track, and worked a lot on the tag (that's the most wilson part of it).  But i'm pretty sure the verse and chorus and bridge were given to the band as they are.  

He's credited as a co-writer. He's also listed as second in the non-alphabetical list of writers (Thomas-Wilson-Peterik-Millas) which suggests his contributions are greater than simply a tag.

A poster on the blue board said that Brian and Joe worked on the song last year and revised / finished it. After reading Boots post on the thread about the song proper, I suspect he did considerable work on the chorus.

Link: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12601.msg266580.html#msg266580
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 02:47:04 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2012, 02:38:44 PM »

Do you really believe that?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2012, 02:39:16 PM »

Sure. Why don't you?
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2012, 03:33:20 PM »

Sure. Why don't you?

He should, it's true.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx