gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 09:14:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for media reviews of TWGMTR single  (Read 9782 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2012, 03:03:03 PM »

This guy gives TWMGTR a bad review:

http://www.thespacelab.tv/spaceLAB/2012/04April/MusicReview-068-Beach-Boys-That-Why-God-Made-The-Radio.htm

But for some reason I really had to laugh at this:

The lyrics on this song grasp at a conceit that doesn't make sense. GOD had nothing to do with the radio

Grin Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
oldsurferdude
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2012, 06:26:32 PM »

I find it very ironic that the Chicago reviewer seems to be pinning the song on the rest of the band.  It's Brian's "people" who are behind it.  Mike and Al can't even be heard on it, if they're even there.  It sounds like a Brian solo record, not a Beach Boys record.  Though not one as good as TLOS.

Al and Mike are clearly audible in the song.
What I like about the song is that Myke's nasal twang isn't to be heard anywhere on the song. Maybe they forgot to turn Myke's myke on. Wink
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »

Mike is in there. I think the confusion is due to the change in his voice - he is more hoarse now in the lower range. He is still a great singer, of course, but the bass Mike Love signature is not as clear on this song or on "Do It Agin 2011."

His "She said…" line in Al's Don't Fight The Sea is classic Mike. Perfect delivery. On the accompanying video, that moment – when he stares right into the camera, sneers and dares you to challenge his questioning of 'Crow cries uncover the Cornfield' – is the moment the Beach Boys really came back.  That's Mike fit to bust yer balls!

Check it out at 4:44 in this video:

http://youtu.be/P8vx2njD_EU

Exactly!! I felt that way when I watched that video for the first time.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2012, 12:57:40 AM »

the song is a classic. kudos to those who can recognize this. i'm amazed by how much sh!t some people have stuck in their ears...

this one's just too funny not to mention:

The new Beach Boys single is heavily influenced by the band's Jesse And The Rippers period
By Steven Hyden April 25, 2012

The Beach Boys have released the title track from their upcoming album, That's Why God Made The Radio, and it's about what you'd expect: A slow, embalmed-sounding hunk of nostalgia that's highly derivative of the band's Jesse And The Rippers period. Because we're eternally hopeful Beach Boys fanatics—or perhaps just incredibly naive—we're not totally giving up on some intentional weirdness popping up on this record. But in the meantime, enjoy this sweet, thoroughly unintentional piece of Beach Boys weirdness. [via Entertainment Weekly]

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-new-beach-boys-single-is-heavily-influenced-by,73009/
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2012, 01:05:10 AM »

What I like about the song is that Myke's nasal twang isn't to be heard anywhere on the song. Maybe they forgot to turn Myke's myke on. Wink

Wow, I hear Mike loud and clear (and on form) on the "That's why..." bits immediately after the "Holdin' the line" middle eight.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx