gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680816 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 11:35:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "That's Why God Made the Radio" lyric video (full official song on Youtube)  (Read 29526 times)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 26, 2012, 04:27:14 AM »

Question for those who are into it, would you still be praising it had it come out as a Brian Wilson solo song instead of THE BEACH BOYS?

Yes. It sounds to me like something that could've been on TLOS, and I love that album.

I'd say it's not up there with the best TLOS tracks but it certainly would have fit that album pretty well, yes! We've probably discussed this to death already, but that album would've been so good with the other guys' voices involved. Just imagine Alan on "Morning Beat", singing the "Even when dreams are deep and sweet" bit... might've worked really well!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2012, 04:34:33 AM »

I think musically, it doesn't touch some of TLOS.  but that should be expected because of the writers.  but it would fit in quite nicely, i'd remove good kind of love for it.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2012, 04:35:13 AM »

I think we should think of TWGMTR as the latest in a long line of made-to-order BB singles. That is, songs that are purposefully built to show off what the group (and its advisers) think is best about the band at any one time.

This is a trend that goes back (at least) to Sail On Sailor, which was the last-minute addition to single-fy Holland. It's a "Brian Wilson" composition, sure, but one with the most basic of chord changes and a bevy of-co-writers.

You also had, notably, Good Timin' (rescued from a batch of old tapes to give L.A. its signature BW moment), Goin' On (again, a BW comp but one wildly re-arranged by Bruce) and Getcha Back (Mike and Melcher ripping off "Hungry Heart" while BW does his best Billy Joel in the background).

While many of these songs are good -- and some are now thought of as classics -- they are all meant to showcase harmony (or in the case of SoS, the 70s "rock" BB sound), Brian Wilson's involvement in the band, and the notion of the group as an unstoppable hit, harmony and hook machine.

Looked at in that sense, TWGMTR makes all the sense in the world. Again, you have a purpose-written song (with Brian likely fiddling with it in one way or another), group vocals out the wazoo, and a Brian lead to prove that he's engaged in the reunion. Also, a hook that it's not afraid to pound into the ground.

Thanks so much for quoting this as Wirestone nailed the Hell out of it with this post and before your post I wasn't sure I remembered who said it (I was right) or find it.  And thats to Wirestone for saying exactly what I was thinking, way better than I could have.

This. This. This.

I'm interested to hear the rest of the album, which could be quite different from this particular track.

By the way, I can't be the only one:

"Took a walk and passed your house, late last night
All the shades were pulled and drawn, way down tight"
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2012, 06:21:06 AM »

Some people still don't understand that this is PRODUCED BY BRIAN WILSON, and blame whatever aspects of the production they don't like on Thomas.

I'm sure some guys would enjoy the song better if it had only one songwriter credited: Brian Wilson. It's great that Peterik gets a credit, though, that way we can blame someone other than Brian for the bridge.

Look, I understand all this. The BBs are old, this is all too good to be true, we've been mislead in the past. We don't trust when they tell us it's the BBs singing, or BW producing... Some guys' initial reaction is not to trust credits and hearing whatever fulfills their lack of trust. I'm sure the first posts about the new album will be about how much the new songs take from older ones; how much Beaches in Mind takes from an unreleased song from 1986. Let us not forget that people complained when it was suggested that the new album could contain songs they'd previously heard (DIA, Waves, SBILA) and now that they know the titles they regret that Soul Searchin' is not in it.

But hey look: this is all coming out great, it's the Beach Boys where it says so, and it's produced by Brian when it says so. We'll get a guest-free, all-original album. This is a dream come true guys. Enjoy it while it lasts. After enduring the 30th Anniversary (nothing happened), SIP, Happy Endings, the Landy era, Stars and Stripes, Carl's death, all that is happening is unbelievable to some of us.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2012, 06:25:48 AM »

It becomes an issue when you have Jeff doubling Brian and seemingly Mike on all parts, because they're obviously both so decrepit that they just aren't capable of singing anymore. That they're even trying to sing anymore is pathetic, really.

I don't get this. I don't know why Jeff doubled them either, but listen to the Gershwin album and it's obvious that Brian can still sing. I don't know why people make these dramatic pronouncements.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 26, 2012, 06:29:41 AM »

I also don't get why people are blaming Thomas for the production.  It's the same sound brian has been putting out since bwps.

I don't get why Jeff doubles everyone, I doubt the album will be so disjointed though.  This tune was obviously designed as a comeback tune, giving everyone certain lines, even cutting lines in half.  I imagine they realized they needed some sort of stability vocally and had Jeff double.  I seriously don't think the album will be like this, that would be overwhelming
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 06:32:10 AM by Runaways » Logged
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 26, 2012, 06:30:38 AM »

Some people still don't understand that this is PRODUCED BY BRIAN WILSON, and blame whatever aspects of the production they don't like on Thomas.

I'm sure some guys would enjoy the song better if it had only one songwriter credited: Brian Wilson. It's great that Peterik gets a credit, though, that way we can blame someone other than Brian for the bridge.

Look, I understand all this. The BBs are old, this is all too good to be true, we've been mislead in the past. We don't trust when they tell us it's the BBs singing, or BW producing... Some guys' initial reaction is not to trust credits and hearing whatever fulfills their lack of trust. I'm sure the first posts about the new album will be about how much the new songs take from older ones; how much Beaches in Mind takes from an unreleased song from 1986. Let us not forget that people complained when it was suggested that the new album could contain songs they'd previously heard (DIA, Waves, SBILA) and now that they know the titles they regret that Soul Searchin' is not in it.

But hey look: this is all coming out great, it's the Beach Boys where it says so, and it's produced by Brian when it says so. We'll get a guest-free, all-original album. This is a dream come true guys. Enjoy it while it lasts. After enduring the 30th Anniversary (nothing happened), SIP, Happy Endings, the Landy era, Stars and Stripes, Carl's death, all that is happening is unbelievable to some of us.

THIS.

There is also the possibility that some of those "lost tracks" ("Soul Searchin'" "You're Still A Mystery") will be included on that new box set later this year. 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 26, 2012, 06:46:05 AM »

There is also the possibility that some of those "lost tracks" ("Soul Searchin'" "You're Still A Mystery") will be included on that new box set later this year. 

Fingers crossed!

And I ain't complaining about the song.  I just think Wirestone nailed it by saying it was the latest in a line of "made to order" Beach Boys singles.
My only complaints are the mix is a bit "mushed" and I can't not hear "Silhouettes" during the verses.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 26, 2012, 07:05:16 AM »

Okay. After 23 listens I can finally say I hear Al on the "like a prayer" line.  LOL

Still can't hear Bruce. I don't even know what David sounds like when he sings so no wonder I can't pick his voice from the mix.
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 26, 2012, 07:41:38 AM »

If you honestly think Brian has been producing anything in recent years I have some great land to sell you in Florida.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: April 26, 2012, 08:46:07 AM »

Jeff:  You misundersatnd me.  I don't 'hate on everyone who has an opinion different than me", as a matter of fact I don't know any of you.  I"m sure you're all great people, you're just wrong sometimes and I'm not ashamed to tell you when you are.  You can feel free to tell me if you think I'm wrong too, or not, or whatever.  Maybe you shouldn't get your feelings hurt by somebody you've never met, and never will meet, Jeff.   Exactly why is you're free to have your opinion, but when mine is different you tell me I'm a hater?  LOL  

Also: have I ever even disagreed with you?  Not that I remember, if you remember that then you take it much more seriously than I do.  Anything I say is worth exactly what your opinion is worth, no more.  

You have absolutely no clue where the boundaries of my optimism are Smiley  

-------------------------

Professor: I like how you said you were "cashing in", that's a good way of putting it.  I choose to enjoy the song, if others choose to not enjoy it that's their loss!  Cant' wait to hear the album!!!
I like the smiley faces and LOLs, Ron. You've been using them constantly for the last few days and I assume they are meant to be a spoonful of sugar to help your medicine of objective, absolute truth go down easier. A+. We all have much to learn from you.

- B00ts
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 26, 2012, 08:49:13 AM »

By the way, I can't be the only one:

"Took a walk and passed your house, late last night
All the shades were pulled and drawn, way down tight"

Good ear!  I hadn't noticed that but yes, very very similar. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 26, 2012, 08:54:09 AM »

A+. We all have much to learn from you.

Easy there Trigger.  I'm just talking, if anything good comes out of it great, but I'd look for knowledge elsewhere if I were you, lol. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 26, 2012, 08:59:23 AM »

If you honestly think Brian has been producing anything in recent years I have some great land to sell you in Florida.

If you don't, you're clearly not familiar with his recent output.

Or any Beach Boys history at all, really.

People discuss these things in depth here. Please try to keep up.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: April 26, 2012, 09:08:38 AM »

A+. We all have much to learn from you.

Easy there Trigger.  I'm just talking, if anything good comes out of it great, but I'd look for knowledge elsewhere if I were you, lol. 
I wish I knew how to do an e-kiss and virtual hug, because if I could figure out how, you'd be getting an e-kiss and a v-hug from me right now.

- B00ts
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 26, 2012, 10:07:01 AM »

Jeff:  You misundersatnd me.  I don't 'hate on everyone who has an opinion different than me", as a matter of fact I don't know any of you.  I"m sure you're all great people, you're just wrong sometimes and I'm not ashamed to tell you when you are.  You can feel free to tell me if you think I'm wrong too, or not, or whatever.  Maybe you shouldn't get your feelings hurt by somebody you've never met, and never will meet, Jeff.   Exactly why is you're free to have your opinion, but when mine is different you tell me I'm a hater?  LOL  

Also: have I ever even disagreed with you?  Not that I remember, if you remember that then you take it much more seriously than I do.  Anything I say is worth exactly what your opinion is worth, no more.  

You have absolutely no clue where the boundaries of my optimism are Smiley  

-------------------------

Professor: I like how you said you were "cashing in", that's a good way of putting it.  I choose to enjoy the song, if others choose to not enjoy it that's their loss!  Cant' wait to hear the album!!!
I like the smiley faces and LOLs, Ron. You've been using them constantly for the last few days and I assume they are meant to be a spoonful of sugar to help your medicine of objective, absolute truth go down easier. A+. We all have much to learn from you.
I look at the lols and smileys and my "smug" alarm goes off, personally.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx