gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:57:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "That's Why God Made the Radio" lyric video (full official song on Youtube)  (Read 29273 times)
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2012, 07:13:25 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGke6pnT1d0
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 07:15:31 AM »

Huzzah.

It's paradise when I lift up my antenna!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:17:43 AM by Iron Horse-Apples » Logged
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 07:17:30 AM »

Bridge is short, but pretty nice.  Brian sings the whole thing.  Some nice guitar fills (by David Marks, I assume) in the song.

Oh, and make sure to turn up the video quality to hear the audio at a better bitrate.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:20:49 AM by Fro » Logged
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 07:21:13 AM »

Ok, who will be the first on commenting on the video itself?

Shocked

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 07:23:03 AM »

KaboooooozzaaaH!

“We live in divisive times.”
rogerlancelot
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 07:25:11 AM »

Thank you very much, beautiful song!

Per video, I don't think it's a "final" produced video, but I just want to hear the song anyway.
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 07:27:41 AM »

Shocked It's here!! Finally! Great song.
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 07:30:23 AM »

I don't really like the production that much (the DI-like 90s bass sound etc, it's all very Joe Thomas), but a very nice song it is! And so great to hear the boys singing together, I hear more Mike and Al now than I had noticed before, but there's still some voices I can't make out. I find the bridge to be more Survivor-Eye Of The Tiger 80's-like than BW.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:31:40 AM by Yorick » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 07:31:48 AM »

Nice enough song, but - I dunno - I don't really like the overall production style, especially for the harmony bits. They sound a tad "wishy-washy" / too clean and smooth. Too slick and polished. I would've liked the individual voices to be more distinct. But okay, it's a pop production, and it's the Beach Boys (which means anything available production-wise will be used to achieve maximum satisfaction with how the harmonies sound on finished product).

Overall I'd say I'm okay with TWGMTR being their 1st reunion single, it just doesn't blow me away. But I'm sure it'll grow with the weeks to come.

(Video is sh*t, of course. Just lazy. But, oh well..)

Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 07:36:47 AM »

10 seconds in now and the first thing I've noticed is the force of the bass - it's no wishy washy BWPS show here!

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 07:40:27 AM »

I love the bridge, especially the "Generation" part. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:46:47 AM by SheriffJohnStone » Logged

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
ohthosegirls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 07:40:36 AM »

I find the bridge to be more Survivor-Eye Of The Tiger 80's-like than BW.

For sure. The first part of it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:41:39 AM by ohthosegirls » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 07:40:52 AM »

It's really good. Song-wise, I think it would have fit nicely on Lucky Old Sun, which is what a lot of us were hoping for with this album.
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 07:42:57 AM »

I like the "That's why god made"s sung by Mike. You can see his voice has much more warmth to it compared to Jeff's.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:46:38 AM by SheriffJohnStone » Logged

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 07:43:52 AM »

I'll say it... it's dull.

Dull lyrics, production, harmonies. After the BB-interview hype I was expecting something...better.

If it didn't say 'Beach Boys' on the label, i wouldn't give it a second thought.
aaktt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 07:47:16 AM »

The song's real fine. Well, it's not their masterpiece, but it's definitely well-crafted concerning it's been a long time since they last performed together. I'm really glad they're back :D
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 07:52:26 AM »

IMO it's the best thing they've done since KtSA. I'll take it and gladly.
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 07:54:34 AM »

I've got to say... The song keeps growing and growing on me the more I listen. I think it's one of their better songs from the past 30 years, although that's not saying much when you consider what came in that time frame.

It's also not nearly as derivative of Keep an Eye On Summer as I originally thought.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 07:58:29 AM »

If I say something now you will call me Phil...    Angry

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 08:01:34 AM »

No, we won't, Phil. Come on, let's hear your criticisms.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 08:06:14 AM »

I like it, nice addition to the catalog! 
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 08:10:00 AM »

I think the song itself is dull and derivative, and the middle eight is completely superfluous and pretty weak. That said, I don't see the problems with the production that other people are seeing here -- it's the best *sounding* thing the BBs have done since at least LA (Light Album), and doesn't sound that different from either That Lucky Old Sun or Postcard From California. The only criticisms I could make of it from a production perspective would amount to "I would have done it differently" rather than "that is aesthetically a bad decision", and since I have produced exactly no hit records while Brian has produced dozens, I don't think what I'd have done differently is a big concern Wink

As for the harmonies, without the talking over it I can make out Al and Bruce's parts much more clearly (though I was right when I said there were three or four Fosketts in the stack -- there are far more than five voices for most of this, and usually Foskett's the only one singing multiple different lines). It's actually very cleverly arranged and mixed, with band members swapping mid-word at times, presumably to allow them all to sing in the strongest ranges they have left.

As what will (I presume) be their last ever single it's a far, far better way to go out than we had any right to expect given the horrors that came out in the 80s and 90s, but it is a shame the song that was so hyped up by everyone turned out to be so mediocre.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 08:15:57 AM »

SIP can really be forgotten after this, this song is amazing!!!! Rock! Rock! Rock! Rock! Rock!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rogerlancelot
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 08:19:18 AM »

Interesting reading much of the criticism. Well I fell almost instantly in love with the song. I think the harmonies and chord changes are beautiful, the whole nostalgic feel about it is straight out of the mid 60's and I am positive it will be part of this summer's soundtrack for me! Now I'm waiting to buy the new album which comes out 9 days after I see them in concert. Reminds me of when I went to see Pink Floyd in September '87 and they played their then current album a week or so before it hit the shops (and they opened with "Echoes" that early on in the tour!).
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 08:23:10 AM »

As what will (I presume) be their last ever single it's a far, far better way to go out than we had any right to expect given the horrors that came out in the 80s and 90s, but it is a shame the song that was so hyped up by everyone turned out to be so mediocre.
Who knows if it's going to be the only single release off the reunion album? Depends on how successful TWGMTR is going to be. Plus, the Jardine hinted at a possible 2nd LP after the 2012 release.

Only time will tell..
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx