gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680752 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 02:14:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "That's Why God Made the Radio" lyric video (full official song on Youtube)  (Read 29495 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 25, 2012, 10:16:47 PM »

MERICA LUV IT OR LEAVE IT YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 25, 2012, 10:21:33 PM »

But what if you aint in it???

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 25, 2012, 10:29:04 PM »

If you ain't in it, then you're exempt, lol. 

Maybe you just like what you like and don't like what you don't like.  I'm an eternal optimist, I like everything, I look for the good parts and amplify them when I hear songs like this.  So it's a net gain to me. 
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 25, 2012, 10:36:43 PM »

If you ain't in it, then you're exempt, lol. 

Maybe you just like what you like and don't like what you don't like.  I'm an eternal optimist, I like everything, I look for the good parts and amplify them when I hear songs like this.  So it's a net gain to me. 

If you were an eternal optimist, you wouldn't hate on everyone who expresses an opinion you don't like.

My first reaction to this is that it sounds like what BW 88 would have been if the other Beach Boys had been involved.  As in, not nearly as good as what BW88 was--not even Little Children.  This feels like way less than the sum of the parts.

I also really do not like the title.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 25, 2012, 10:40:26 PM »

Things are getting out of control. The song is magnificent. Time and history will be its judge, but I cannot stop listening to it, and I was a harsh critic of Jeff.  He contributes here, perhaps a bit too pompously, but I hear all and each of the BB, and the in the oddity of the song (God made the radio?) lies its shocking edginess. I have chronicled echoes of other songs, as many of you have, but this song, in its fully produced form, with headphones on, is addictive and hypnotic and sui generis.

I want to see whether it's a hit or not, but I am deeply content. Just to hear Al and Brian in the second verse, as we hear them on Sloop together, is a joy. We waited years like idiots, spending hours shuffling through confusing information in the news about the BB and their possible reunion. Some of us, well I can only confess for myself, drove to Hawthorne and placed a hand on the monument in hope of one day hearing a BB song again--or traveled to every beach mentioned in Surfin' USA just to sing the lyric associated with that beach  (with s few exotic omissions).  I , for one, am cashin' in and enjoying completely the new hit single from the new BB album.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 25, 2012, 11:00:21 PM »

Jeff:  You misundersatnd me.  I don't 'hate on everyone who has an opinion different than me", as a matter of fact I don't know any of you.  I"m sure you're all great people, you're just wrong sometimes and I'm not ashamed to tell you when you are.  You can feel free to tell me if you think I'm wrong too, or not, or whatever.  Maybe you shouldn't get your feelings hurt by somebody you've never met, and never will meet, Jeff.   Exactly why is you're free to have your opinion, but when mine is different you tell me I'm a hater?  LOL  

Also: have I ever even disagreed with you?  Not that I remember, if you remember that then you take it much more seriously than I do.  Anything I say is worth exactly what your opinion is worth, no more.  

You have absolutely no clue where the boundaries of my optimism are Smiley  

-------------------------

Professor: I like how you said you were "cashing in", that's a good way of putting it.  I choose to enjoy the song, if others choose to not enjoy it that's their loss!  Cant' wait to hear the album!!!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 25, 2012, 11:59:42 PM »

Listened to this a couple of times now...

The song itself is pleasant enough and in many ways it seems very similar to "Add Some Music".

Personally I think it's nowhere near as good as even "Kokomo" or "Getcha Back" (and not even in the same league as "SOS" and "Good Timin'", which was to be expected I think). Still quite pleasant, however, for lack of a better word. Really inoffensive and some of the voices sound pretty weird. The organ intro seems very "BW solo" to me (which is nice!), while the lyrics seem really dull and uninspired (probably just a tad bit too corny for my personal taste).

Overall, nothing earth-shattering but still a nice little song, yes, and I know I'll give it some more "spins" (on the mp3 player).
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: April 26, 2012, 12:02:31 AM »

I think we should think of TWGMTR as the latest in a long line of made-to-order BB singles. That is, songs that are purposefully built to show off what the group (and its advisers) think is best about the band at any one time.

This is a trend that goes back (at least) to Sail On Sailor, which was the last-minute addition to single-fy Holland. It's a "Brian Wilson" composition, sure, but one with the most basic of chord changes and a bevy of-co-writers.

You also had, notably, Good Timin' (rescued from a batch of old tapes to give L.A. its signature BW moment), Goin' On (again, a BW comp but one wildly re-arranged by Bruce) and Getcha Back (Mike and Melcher ripping off "Hungry Heart" while BW does his best Billy Joel in the background).

While many of these songs are good -- and some are now thought of as classics -- they are all meant to showcase harmony (or in the case of SoS, the 70s "rock" BB sound), Brian Wilson's involvement in the band, and the notion of the group as an unstoppable hit, harmony and hook machine.

Looked at in that sense, TWGMTR makes all the sense in the world. Again, you have a purpose-written song (with Brian likely fiddling with it in one way or another), group vocals out the wazoo, and a Brian lead to prove that he's engaged in the reunion. Also, a hook that it's not afraid to pound into the ground.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: April 26, 2012, 12:19:16 AM »

It's getting nasty now.

Let's all take a step back, have a nice cup of tea and a biscuit, and get on with enjoying a song that we couldn't have though possible a mere six months ago.  Wink

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 26, 2012, 12:41:53 AM »

I like it a whole lot. Great vocals, very good and catchy chorus and it stands the "Would I like this even if it wouldn't have been done by The Beach Boys?" test.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 26, 2012, 12:50:45 AM »

Does Mr. David Marks have any distinguishable lines in the song? I'm hearing it on headphones for the first time but still can't really hear him. A couple parts maaaybe.

No mas, por favor.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #161 on: April 26, 2012, 12:55:57 AM »

It sounds exactly as i was expecting it would: not terrible, but not particuarly great either. Slick, overly-smooth production. To quote Larry David, it's just... meh.

(Oh, and am i the only one who immediately thought upon hearing the first verse, 'well, it's the Your Summer Dream melody'. Listen to it again and see...)
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 26, 2012, 01:03:49 AM »

If this song was to the new album as SOS was to Holland I think it would be nice. SOS is maybe my least favorite song on Holland.

But I don't think that is the case. I don't think the band came up with a bunch of great songs and then were forced to tack on TWGMTR at the last minute as a 'single'. Wirestone does have a point, this type of song isn't necessarily bad in-of-itself, but it HAS to be counterbalanced by something. You can't build a whole album that way, which is what I fear they've done. If they've tempered the single with some cool stuff I'll be willing to forgive TWGMTR and give it some credit, but I doubt that they've done that.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 26, 2012, 02:49:01 AM »

The lyric video had reached almost 27,000 views (which is 26,670 more than when I went to bed last night!), does anyone know what kind of viewing figures that Capitol were expecting?
Mike Lovechild
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 26, 2012, 02:52:25 AM »

Check out the video I made for the single :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upv6R5miYaQ
Les Chan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 26, 2012, 03:11:49 AM »

Mike Lovechild,

Loved your video!!!  Brilliant.

Thanks for making me smile!

Mike Lovechild
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 26, 2012, 03:13:54 AM »

Thank you, it is very grey where I am, but I'm blasting out Love You in work and everyone is smiling!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 26, 2012, 03:19:35 AM »

It sounds exactly as i was expecting it would: not terrible, but not particuarly great either. Slick, overly-smooth production. To quote Larry David, it's just... meh.

(Oh, and am i the only one who immediately thought upon hearing the first verse, 'well, it's the Your Summer Dream melody'. Listen to it again and see...)

I basically agree with all of your points!

As a reunion song celebrating the group's 50th it's pleasant enough, yet on the other hand I had to turn it off earlier today on my way to town because I couldn't stomach any more of those lyrics, which is interesting as I guess it gives me an idea of how people must've felt about the group's work in the late 60s and early 70s (pre-Surf's Up). Don't get me wrong, I love me some Sunflower and of course I don't expect these guys to sing about war or unemployment at this point in time, it's just an "introspective observation" of mine...

Listening to the song as I type, so it can't be THAT bad. I'll take it for what it is while I'm reading the concert autotune discussion. Cheesy
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 26, 2012, 03:32:51 AM »

I really don't understand all the negativity here. Of course this song is disappointing if you were expecting a new Beach Boys classic, but didn't we already know that this wasn't going to be the new Good Vibrations or California Girls? I think that this is one of the best songs that the Beach Boys have released since Holland and that's really all I was hoping for.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2012, 03:40:22 AM »

I'll be interested to see what everyone thinks about the song once the initial excitement wears off.  To me, this is just a really weak track.  I've given up trying to like it.  Question for those who are into it, would you still be praising it had it come out as a Brian Wilson solo song instead of THE BEACH BOYS?
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: April 26, 2012, 03:53:07 AM »

I think this could be possibly the best Beach Boys song with Brian on lead since 'Til I Die (40 years).

Anyone can identify who is singing these lines?

2:16 Celebration (responding Brian) (Scott Benett??)
2:28 That's Why God Made, That's Why God Made (??)
2:52 We're fallin' in love (Jeff??)

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 26, 2012, 04:08:47 AM »

I think this could be possibly the best Beach Boys song with Brian on lead since 'Til I Die (40 years).

In my ears:

2:12 (I think you mean 2:12, not 2:16): Jeff
2:23-2:28: Jeff
2:48 (I think you mean 2:48, not 2:52): Bruce

debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 26, 2012, 04:16:46 AM »

I really don't understand all the negativity here. Of course this song is disappointing if you were expecting a new Beach Boys classic, but didn't we already know that this wasn't going to be the new Good Vibrations or California Girls? I think that this is one of the best songs that the Beach Boys have released since Holland and that's really all I was hoping for.

I never expected it to be very good but finally hearing something new still has a level of disappointment. I like a fair bit of the later boys track so I'm not just all about the classic stuff, I LOVE Goin' On.  I will say though I've never had a problem with Jeff's voice and think it's fine on this other than too prominent.

If only Brian hasn't already released Soul Searching...

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: April 26, 2012, 04:21:31 AM »

In my ears:

2:12 (I think you mean 2:12, not 2:16): Jeff
2:23-2:28: Jeff
2:48 (I think you mean 2:48, not 2:52): Bruce

2:12 Celebration: This could have been Mike or Al instead of Jeff
2:23: That's Why God Made, That's Why God Made: Also Mike or Al instead of Jeff

Just to make the song sound more authentic!!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 04:22:23 AM by Barnyard2 » Logged

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 26, 2012, 04:23:51 AM »

Question for those who are into it, would you still be praising it had it come out as a Brian Wilson solo song instead of THE BEACH BOYS?

Yes. It sounds to me like something that could've been on TLOS, and I love that album.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx