gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:17:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recording a Concert  (Read 6238 times)
Jason
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 03:02:42 PM »

Yeah, the amount of audience tapes from all three touring bands have gone down in recent years. Lack of interest or tightened security...or a combination or both. It's not like 2004 when virtually every show Brian played was taped somehow or another.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 03:33:07 PM »

BBs & Brian material was disallowed from being shared on Dime several years ago, so that's really cut down on circulation.  I don't know of any other trackers that have ever had a really strong Beach Boys trading contingent.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 07:45:18 PM »

If you think audience recordings have died down, you haven't visited YouTube in the past few years.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 09:11:20 PM »

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/portable-field-recorders
That is a good selection of field recorders from a place I deal with often, Musician's Friend. Free shipping, express shipping if requested, and a good return/guarantee policy. These are better than iPhones or Pads or whatever, anything with the stereo x-y mic capsules should deliver a good quality recording from the audience. Just don't have the mic in contact with a shirt pocket or any other fabric, you'll get a lot of that horrible noise if you do.

where do you recommend hiding it, then?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 10:30:17 PM »

Zoom digital recorders are good.

Any Android or even Symbian smartphone has apps available allowing fairly good digital recording with the ability to manually set the recording levels.

One trick if all you have is a phone is to set it to record video rather than voice...and just slip it in your shirt pocket. If it has an annoying light, tape over it with masking tape. The video audio is typically 48KHz sampling rate and 96k bitrate so it's MP3 quality. not great at all but it's acceptable.

If recording at a theatre, consider getting a box seat. They often have shelves onto which you can place your recording device where it won't get knocked about or move around as you dance or get jostled by your fellow concert-goers.

Not that I have ever recorded a concert......

Heck I even own a Phonotrix (no lying).
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2012, 11:03:43 PM »

I used both the Zoom H2 and H4 in college for various assignments/projects...they're great! The only downfalls to using them for rock concerts are that the H4 costs a month's pay, and the H2 is just a little too big to hide in your pocket.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2012, 05:19:29 AM »

I've hidden a Zoom H2 in my jeans pocket before. Yeah, it was a tight fit, but....

Oh....and I was hiding it to keep it from being stolen....yeah....that's it...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2012, 06:54:16 AM »

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/portable-field-recorders
That is a good selection of field recorders from a place I deal with often, Musician's Friend. Free shipping, express shipping if requested, and a good return/guarantee policy. These are better than iPhones or Pads or whatever, anything with the stereo x-y mic capsules should deliver a good quality recording from the audience. Just don't have the mic in contact with a shirt pocket or any other fabric, you'll get a lot of that horrible noise if you do.

where do you recommend hiding it, then?

sometimes i just hold the recorder. i place a piece of tape over the light. recorders are small enough now you can palm them. sometimes i wrap it up in a tee i bought at the show. sometimes i just hold it in plain sight, depends if staff are walking around. and when i place it in my shirt pocket i have a little holder that holds the mic above the top of the pocket. again, recording shows is very easy nowadays. just keep your fingers still. i have taped many a show over the years.  and i mean years, no spring chicken here.  Smiley
the real trick was when i had to use cassette tapes and a recorder back in the 80's and 90's.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 06:56:23 AM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2012, 07:12:05 AM »

Steve, I bet you got some great stories from recording shows over the years.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2012, 08:46:37 AM »

Steve, I bet you got some great stories from recording shows over the years.

COMMENT:  Not really.  We tried recording a few concerts using an eight-track, but the results were not worth the effort. Most all concerts were recorded using a two-track Niagra (http://www.illustratorworld.com/artwork/410/) or a Sony professional cassette recorder (http://www.planetdj.com/i--TCD5PRO2). The feed was from the house mix. However these recordings were not to capture the show forever, just to listen to the show (last night's show) over headphones for quality check. Carl usually was the main listener. He would check the mix, the vocal cues and overall performance. In some cases corrections to arrangements would be made. Sometimes it was just to cite mistakes to band members. We were doing so many shows, one night (right) after the other, that keeping the recordings for posterity was never though about. We used the same tape over and over, erasing last night's show to lay down this night's show right over it on the same tape. Makes you sick now, but then we just used the recordings for quality checks.

If I was doing it now I would use one of the nine digital recorders at this link:

Recorders from Sweetwater >>> http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/studio/recorders/

Sit were you get a fairly good direct sound from the speakers.

I once was hired to secretly record a concert for a lawyer working on a copyright infringement case. I used two wireless mics and a battery operated receiver and recorder. I had one mic and my girlfriend had the second mic. We sat in the same row about eight seats apart. That gave a good pickup spread. An assistant was stationed in a secluded part of the hallway with the receivers and recorder under an oversize jacket -- it was December. The recording was good and turned the case.

Good Listening, ~Stephen W. Desper
meltedwhiskeyinmyhand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2012, 01:05:34 PM »

HOw long have the beach boys shows been? WOuld 2 hours 12 minutes of recording time get everything?
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »

Man, what those 70s shows would have been worth nowadays...  Sad

In any case, those are some very interesting stories Mr. Desper.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2012, 07:00:36 PM »

HOw long have the beach boys shows been? WOuld 2 hours 12 minutes of recording time get everything?

COMMENT: The shows took two or three cassettes to completely record. Sometimes I would forget about the recording - lots of other things to think about when mixing a live concert - and miss ten or fifteen minutes between changes of the cassette. "Oh well, got most of tonight's concert." 

And yes, it would be great to have them now.  They were crystal clear, from the live feed, in stereo. Actually if I remember right . . .  I took the recorder feed from the console's second headphone jack, which was a good source having its own line level driving amplifier.

I do have some 15 IPS stereo concert master tapes that have not been released with all six Beach Boys singing (including Brian). I've tried to get them to release this series, but so far no luck. I'll be seventy years old tomorrow and Brian is right behind me. I think the organization should start to open the vault and let some of this stuff out. What good does it do the artists (and technicians) to release their performances after they have gone?  Like for example, the second Flame album, produced by Carl Wilson. This is a complete album of wonderful music, just sitting gathering dust on the vault's shelf. Wouldn't it have been nice if Carl could have enjoyed the results of his work?  And I'm afraid the same fate will come to Brian and his musical productions. The concert tapes I'm speaking of have already outlived Carl and Dennis -- and still no one has heard them! I guess a couple more Beach Boys have to die before BRI releases any more stuff. But by then all master tapes will be in the collective estates of the various Beach Boy children. So forget it. The estate lawyers will get to hear this special music, and that's about it. If the 50th Anniversary doesn't open the vault, I guess nothing will.
  ~swd

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2012, 07:23:26 PM »

That is sad to hear.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2012, 07:29:39 PM »

Stephen, I'm sure Alan Boyd would flip if you had tapes he hadn't heard or were not in the vault! He seems to be running point on the archival projects at BRI/Capitol, and there is something in the works for the 50th. You could do worse than drop him a message on here, although I'm sure you inside types have other means of communication. Although it's great to hear some of the tapes survive.... What kind of time frame are we looking at?

Also, good to have you posting  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2012, 10:53:30 PM »

Stephen, I'm sure Alan Boyd would flip if you had tapes he hadn't heard or were not in the vault! He seems to be running point on the archival projects at BRI/Capitol, and there is something in the works for the 50th. You could do worse than drop him a message on here, although I'm sure you inside types have other means of communication. Although it's great to hear some of the tapes survive.... What kind of time frame are we looking at?

Also, good to have you posting  Grin

COMMENT: Alan has been sent samples. No interest, hence the sentaments in my last posting.

AND A COMMENT TO THE FAN THAT SENT ME THIS EMAIL:
" Stephen--  I won't complain (and won't tell a soul) if you want to send me some/all of these.  It would be neat to have a clean copy of the single disc version of the In Concert LP if you have that one. I have a test pressing, but it's warped and scratched, and while it plays it's not what I'd call state of the art! "

COMMENT BACK:  I'll assume you are a very young person and fan of The Beach Boys.  Of Course, every fan would like to have a copy of any unique item. But writing me by way of private email won't get you anywhere. This is a PUBLIC forum, a place for open discussion. I was not asking if anyone wished to have a copy sent to them. Making an end-run around everyone else doesn't cut it!  Rather, I was lamenting the fact that I know there are recordings still in storage that SHOULD be released only because the fans would enjoy hearing them and the remaining Beach Boys SHOULD recognise that people are still interested in buying and collecting stuff they still have in the vault just collecting dust. Heaven knows that Alan Boyd is one of many crying in the wilderness for more to be released. Through his efforts some tracks are getting out there, but still much is not. It's just frustrating -- and I'm venting.
 ~swd
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:55:25 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2012, 03:49:56 AM »

Also, good to have you posting  Grin

COMMENT: Alan has been sent samples. No interest, hence the sentaments in my last posting.

AND A COMMENT TO THE FAN THAT SENT ME THIS EMAIL:
" Stephen--  I won't complain (and won't tell a soul) if you want to send me some/all of these.  It would be neat to have a clean copy of the single disc version of the In Concert LP if you have that one. I have a test pressing, but it's warped and scratched, and while it plays it's not what I'd call state of the art! "

COMMENT BACK:  I'll assume you are a very young person and fan of The Beach Boys.  Of Course, every fan would like to have a copy of any unique item. But writing me by way of private email won't get you anywhere. This is a PUBLIC forum, a place for open discussion. I was not asking if anyone wished to have a copy sent to them. Making an end-run around everyone else doesn't cut it!  Rather, I was lamenting the fact that I know there are recordings still in storage that SHOULD be released only because the fans would enjoy hearing them and the remaining Beach Boys SHOULD recognise that people are still interested in buying and collecting stuff they still have in the vault just collecting dust. Heaven knows that Alan Boyd is one of many crying in the wilderness for more to be released. Through his efforts some tracks are getting out there, but still much is not. It's just frustrating -- and I'm venting.
 ~swd

Oh well....
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 03:51:02 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2012, 05:43:42 AM »

That is a shame.

Also, apparently it's your birthday! So..... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2012, 06:00:42 AM »

I do have some 15 IPS stereo concert master tapes that have not been released with all six Beach Boys singing (including Brian).

Hey Stephen, thanks for taking the time to post. Do you recall which show (or shows) include all 6 Beach Boys? I ask because it seems the shows during that period with Brian are few and far between. It's interesting to think that there might be more out there than what we're aware of.

Also, cheers for your amazing production and engineering work with the band. You're a big inspiration for a lot of us up and coming studio heads.

And lastly.. Happy birthday!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx