gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:15:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The First Gig: Anselmo Valencia Ampitheater Tucson, AZ 4/24/12 (SETLIST/REVIEWS)  (Read 197912 times)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: April 26, 2012, 10:23:39 PM »

Holy sh*t! Brian was T-Pain'd on SOS! So where's the record scratching and house beats? Is Lil' Jon gonna pop out and scream "WHAT YEAH OK SKEET SKEET!"?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
jamsvet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: April 26, 2012, 10:31:13 PM »

Didn't see it anywhere but a good review in the LA Times

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2012/04/live-the-beach-boys-kick-off-50th-anniversary-tour-in-tucson.html
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: April 26, 2012, 11:15:37 PM »

Because I'm the only one who clearly hears autotune on this.

No, you're not the only one.  There's still no question in my mind that autotune was used in Tucson.

My attitude right now is wait and see what any further clips that come out sound like.  If there continues to be evidence like this, then in a week or two I'm gonna lay down a Warren Commission-style report on the B-Pain phenomenon so everybody can hear what is happening.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: April 26, 2012, 11:18:47 PM »

I hope when you do, you have more evidence for us non believers than just pointing at 3 or 4 notes in a 35 minute concert recording. 

I hope you're aware too when you do it, of the reason you're doing it.  If we dont' hear it, why would you want us to hear it?  Isn't that kind of like telling a 5 year old there's no santa claus?

Smiley
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: April 26, 2012, 11:29:41 PM »

I'm not meaning to ignite any anger here, I just want to point out how autotune works in a live environment. Because people can't alter each note of a vocal performance to what it should be (because the audio is being streamed live) an autotune filter instead "pushes" the note a person is singing so it hits the note that is closest to what the vocalist is producing. So for example, pretend Brian was singing a note just a little off being a perfect D. Even if he should have been singing a G at that point in the performance, the autotune would "push" that note into sounding like a perfect D as the technology has no way of knowing that it isn't the note he is trying to achieve.

Long story short, it's entirely possible to sound awful when using autotune (I know, I have tried using it before and achieved a less than stellar outcome  LOL)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:30:50 PM by Quzi » Logged

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: April 27, 2012, 12:04:44 AM »

Which is why you hear Brian's notes juddering back and forth in a way that no human voice is capable of producing.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: April 27, 2012, 04:57:07 AM »

Which is why you hear Brian's notes juddering back and forth in a way that no human voice is capable of producing.

This. Quzi's point would agree with Heroes & Villains being the worst offender, because that melody is so complex/intricate and so the auto-tuning thingy is pushing what could well be a shaky BW performance absolutely everywhere.

I don't suppose anybody reads my posts here anyway, mind. But if that's what you think Brian Wilson sounds like all the time I am so sorry for you.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 05:04:40 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: April 27, 2012, 05:14:36 AM »

Found the vimeo upload.

Brian is autotuned on his Surfer Girl solo for sure and it sounds at once awful and sad. It's one of the worst applications of autotune I have ever had the misfortune of hearing and it is very obvious. If you can't hear it, then please get your ears syringed. really, this is almost as bad as the deliberate special effect Cher achieved on "Believe".

By sail On Sailor I think whoever is handling the autotune has changed the settings and it's less obvious but it is still there.

Personally if I'd attended that concert I'd have walked away crying. Maybe Brian has a cold or something and on later dates they won't use autotune. It is an offense to the ears and to a great artist who just a few months ago sang many of those songs in concert to a good standard.

Anyone who says that no sort of pitch correction has been used is just plain lying.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: April 27, 2012, 05:31:32 AM »

Found the vimeo upload.

Brian is autotuned on his Surfer Girl solo for sure and it sounds at once awful and sad. It's one of the worst applications of autotune I have ever had the misfortune of hearing and it is very obvious. If you can't hear it, then please get your ears syringed. really, this is almost as bad as the deliberate special effect Cher achieved on "Believe".

By sail On Sailor I think whoever is handling the autotune has changed the settings and it's less obvious but it is still there.

Personally if I'd attended that concert I'd have walked away crying. Maybe Brian has a cold or something and on later dates they won't use autotune. It is an offense to the ears and to a great artist who just a few months ago sang many of those songs in concert to a good standard.

Anyone who says that no sort of pitch correction has been used is just plain lying.
Say what.. YOU THINK I AM LYING?Do you live inAustralia?You call a bloke a liar and you get a smack in the face.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: April 27, 2012, 05:33:11 AM »

Sounds like a nice place.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: April 27, 2012, 05:55:09 AM »

Whoever from within the band says there is no pitch correction on Brian not telling the truth. If they believe they are telling the truth then somebody has lied to them. Somewhere, somebody has lied.

And I would say so in any court of law.

And I would win.

That is, unless somebody has managed to take the recording that is circulating and somehow autotune Brian's voice only on a single-track recording (which cannot be done).

I categorically state here and now for posterity that Brian Douglas Wilson, as presented in the Vimeo recording doing the rounds, has been pitch-corrected.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: April 27, 2012, 06:16:08 AM »

nice review:

http://the814times.com/2012/04/26/beach-boys-kick-off-50th-anniversary-tour-in-tucson/

“We live in divisive times.”
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: April 27, 2012, 06:28:47 AM »

Whoever from within the band says there is no pitch correction on Brian not telling the truth. If they believe they are telling the truth then somebody has lied to them. Somewhere, somebody has lied.

And I would say so in any court of law.

And I would win.

That is, unless somebody has managed to take the recording that is circulating and somehow autotune Brian's voice only on a single-track recording (which cannot be done).

I categorically state here and now for posterity that Brian Douglas Wilson, as presented in the Vimeo recording doing the rounds, has been pitch-corrected.

I think it is folly to say something so categorically based on such scanty evidence.
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: April 27, 2012, 08:08:35 AM »

Holy sh*t! Brian was T-Pain'd on SOS! So where's the record scratching and house beats? Is Lil' Jon gonna pop out and scream "WHAT YEAH OK SKEET SKEET!"?

'Wipe out'. Fat Boys. Beach Boys.

Possibly one of my favourite musical collaborations of the 1980s.

And while I'm at it - I for one would absolutely love to see Lil' John & BW perform together. ML was the original hype man, so it's a natural progression.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: April 27, 2012, 08:32:48 AM »

On one hand we have:

Several accounts by people who attended the shows, stating that they did not hear any auto-tune at the venue.

Two band members who say that no auto-tune is being used.

My ears, good enough to allow me to play guitar professionally for over thirty years, which can not hear any auto-tune on this recording (in fact, I can hear Brian singing out of tune??).

On the other hand we have:

People stating that auto-tune was absolutely being used, based on a recording made with a mic the size of a mouse's asshole that's designed to pick up close range speaking voice, coverted to digital with a cheap A/D converter and compressed to 64kbps, then uploaded to some file sharing site, then downloaded and played back through a computer sound card fed into some cheap low-fi computer speakers or some ear buds or something.

Hmm, I wonder who's opinion I trust more.

Okay.  I get it.  Some of you think you hear it.  I suspect you're mistaken, but whatever.  It's the attitude that I don't like.  "If you can't hear it, you've got terrible ears" or "If you say you can't hear it, you're lying. (Huh)"  I know, I used the word 'idiots' in a previous post, and for that I apologize.  But here's my take.  If you were being rational about it, you might say something like, "You know, I realize this recording is from a terrible source, but I think I hear something that sounds like pitch correction processing on Brian's voice.  Of course I can't be sure because of this very poor recording, but if it is auto-tune, I hope it's not used too much when I see them."  And then be done with it.  We all hope that it won't be used.  We get it.  Please stop.

oldsurferdude
« Reply #865 on: April 27, 2012, 09:24:29 AM »

This whole thing must be hell for OSD! We've quit arguing about Mike and have aimed the lazers at Foskett and auto-tune Smiley

I think Jeff sounded great on Catch A Wave last night!
Your post sounds autotuned. Grin
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: April 27, 2012, 09:30:54 AM »

Wow, I gotta say I'm surprised that this is still being debated.

There's pitch correction on BW's vocals here. Period. A huge chunk of my profession is dealing with vocal editing (and a huge chunk of that is dealing with pitch correction) and I'm starting to take offense to people not only saying that there's no pitch correction, but that anyone who hears it is "making things up for the sake of making things up".

I'm 100% sure. I'd bet my (and your) family members on it. Low quality audience tape or not. It's very clear to these ears, which allow me to pay my rent.

There is no conspiracy here.  I just wish that everyone who "disagrees" because they can't hear it would chill out and stop attacking those of us who hear it. Personally, I'm not here to offend people, I just wanted to point out an obvious flaw so that hopefully someone in the Beach Boys camp might notice and fix this in the future.

PS - Everyone who keeps referring to this as a "low quality audience recording" - I guess you've never heard Seattle 1970. The quality of this audience tape is fine.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 11:23:54 AM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: April 27, 2012, 09:32:25 AM »

No, I'm just busy trying to figure out how to put you on Ignore so I don't have to read your stupidity anymore. 

"Hi guys, I bought a puppy!"

Runnerzdialzero = "Puppies sh*t"

"Hi guys, I won the lottery today!"

Runnerzdialzero = "You're a gambling addict"

If you want to keep trashing everything you imagine you hear, go do it somewhere else.  I refuse to listen to you ivent sh*t to get pissed about anymore. 

What a relief.  Until this thread, I was starting to think it was just me.   Undecided
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: April 27, 2012, 09:56:17 AM »

Correct pitch application:

“We live in divisive times.”
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: April 27, 2012, 10:00:10 AM »

There's pitch correction on BW's vocals here. Period. A huge chunk of my profession is dealing with vocal editing (and a huge chunk of that is dealing with pitch correction) and I'm starting to take offense to people not only saying that there's no pitch correction, but that anyone who hears it is "making things up for the sake of making things up".

I'm 100% sure. I'd bet my (and your) family members on it. Low quality audience tape or not. It's very clear to these ears, which allow me to pay my rent.

There is no conspiracy here.  I just wish that everyone who "disagrees" because they can't hear it would chill out and stop attacking those of us who hear it. Personally, I'm not here to offend people, I just wanted to point out an obvious flaw so that hopefully someone in the Beach Boys camp might notice and fix this in the future.

And it looks like they did. They didn't use it on him last night, and that makes me feel good.

PS - Everyone who keeps referring to this as a "low quality audience recording" - I guess you've never heard Seattle 1970. The quality of this audience tape is fine.

Okay, okay.  You're right.  The people who were actually at the venue to hear it in person were wrong.  The band is lying.  My ears are for sh*t.  Will you stop now, please?
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: April 27, 2012, 10:16:18 AM »

Brian Autotuned??? - no chance

Drummer needs to sort his sh*t though

Cheers

Richard
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: April 27, 2012, 10:19:10 AM »

On one hand we have:

Several accounts by people who attended the shows, stating that they did not hear any auto-tune at the venue.

Two band members who say that no auto-tune is being used.

My ears, good enough to allow me to play guitar professionally for over thirty years, which can not hear any auto-tune on this recording (in fact, I can hear Brian singing out of tune??).

On the other hand we have:

People stating that auto-tune was absolutely being used, based on a recording made with a mic the size of a mouse's asshole that's designed to pick up close range speaking voice, coverted to digital with a cheap A/D converter and compressed to 64kbps, then uploaded to some file sharing site, then downloaded and played back through a computer sound card fed into some cheap low-fi computer speakers or some ear buds or something.

Hmm, I wonder who's opinion I trust more.

Okay.  I get it.  Some of you think you hear it.  I suspect you're mistaken, but whatever.  It's the attitude that I don't like.  "If you can't hear it, you've got terrible ears" or "If you say you can't hear it, you're lying. (Huh)"  I know, I used the word 'idiots' in a previous post, and for that I apologize.  But here's my take.  If you were being rational about it, you might say something like, "You know, I realize this recording is from a terrible source, but I think I hear something that sounds like pitch correction processing on Brian's voice.  Of course I can't be sure because of this very poor recording, but if it is auto-tune, I hope it's not used too much when I see them."  And then be done with it.  We all hope that it won't be used.  We get it.  Please stop.

Okay, okay.  You're right.  The people who were actually at the venue to hear it in person were wrong.  The band is lying.  My ears are for sh*t.  Will you stop now, please?

This kind of logic has no place on the Internet.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: April 27, 2012, 10:22:58 AM »

And it looks like they did. They didn't use it on him last night, and that makes me feel good.

Stop what? I was responding to everyone who insists on putting us down for hearing what's there. Again, my intention was not to make anyone feel bad for hearing what they hear. I'm sure you're a great guitarist. And I am a great vocal editor and refuse to be put down in regards to a craft that I've dedicated so much time and passion to.

PS - I wasn't gonna say another word until people started with this whole "inventing things" stuff. I take that as a personal jab. Anyone who heard SMiLE AD knows I know my sh*t when it comes to vocal editing.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: April 27, 2012, 10:59:43 AM »

Listen to T-Pain here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avaSdC0QOUM&ob=av3e

Skip to like 30-45 seconds into the song.

Then listen to the Sailor On, Sailor, the bridge to Surfer Girl, and Heroes & Villains.  There's definitely some sort of flanging. It's all like in my woOoOoOoooooooOoooooody and it sounds like T-Pain. It's definitely not present all the time, at least to my non-audiophile ears, but it's there for sure.

No mas, por favor.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #874 on: April 27, 2012, 11:16:48 AM »

I only heard the autotune once I started paying attention to it. before that I couldn't hear it.

I'm familiar with autotune. I'm 24 and I listen to pop music on the radio. Wouldn't be able to tell you the names of any of the artists I listen to, but I listen to it. Also, I've recorded in professional studios before and we always use way too much autotune as a gag. Doesn't make the final mix, of course, but it's funny to listen to.

but still, I didn't hear it at all the first few times I heard the concert. at all. and then all of the sudden it clicked. it's something your hears have to notice. there is autotune, but that doesn't mean everyone can hear it. I was happy when I was in the camp that couldn't hear it. but let's not get personal about any of this.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx