gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:43:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The First Gig: Anselmo Valencia Ampitheater Tucson, AZ 4/24/12 (SETLIST/REVIEWS)  (Read 197898 times)
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2012, 04:44:05 PM »

It's sounding like the setlist is along the same lines as the 2008 Mike/Bruce/David shows -- lots of crowd pleasers but with a handful of early-70s stuff to please us fans, and a few early-60s songs-that-sound-like-hits.
Which is exactly what I both hoped and expected (and those 2008 shows were astonishing, so this should be too).

Andrew ( hope you are well mate ) sounds like maybe Scott Totten is the MD
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 24, 2012, 04:45:11 PM »

It's sounding like the setlist is along the same lines as the 2008 Mike/Bruce/David shows -- lots of crowd pleasers but with a handful of early-70s stuff to please us fans, and a few early-60s songs-that-sound-like-hits.
Which is exactly what I both hoped and expected (and those 2008 shows were astonishing, so this should be too).

That's what the first couple of years of Brian's shows were like too -- some of his finest live work.

Brian's early live shows were slightly more weighted towards the obscurities and late 60s/early 70s stuff than the Mike/Bruce/David shows. I would *love* to see a setlist like the June 2002 UK Brian tour (best gigs I ever saw), but I doubt that'll be on the cards ever again. But the 2004/2008 Mike UK shows were almost as good and it sounds like we're getting that kind of setlist but with Brian's band.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 24, 2012, 04:45:28 PM »

Another comment from Prodigal Son - Sail On Sailor (Brian lead).
He also said Al was taking the lead on WIBN.

Um yeah, so this tour officially rocks.

FFS Why aren't we all there ??

No kidding!  It's finally happening folks...they just might be doing this tour....the way we had hoped.

Just read the bloo , and can I kindly say ?? Just cum in my pants  Shocked

SORRY !!

The sad part is you used it as a request, not the past-tense that might make it funny. It reads even worse than what it should have. LOL

Alas, I can overlook it because the updates on here are outstanding.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 24, 2012, 04:45:50 PM »

This is incredible, such fun times

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 24, 2012, 04:46:59 PM »

Interesting, if true. I'd hoped for Darian to be in charge of that side of things, but Scott's created such an improvement in Mike's band, it'll be interesting to see what effect he has with Brian's.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: April 24, 2012, 04:47:27 PM »

This seems great. Brian playing the white grand piano, yes!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 24, 2012, 04:48:27 PM »

Prodigal Son has signed off and will report back later after the show with a review and setlist.

End of the rollercoaster ride...for now!
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 24, 2012, 04:49:46 PM »

No kidding!  It's finally happening folks...they just might be doing this tour....the way we had hoped.

SORRY !!

The sad part is you used it as a request, not the past-tense that might make it funny. It reads even worse than what it should have. LOL

It's all in the timing ( British Humour )  Grin
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 24, 2012, 04:49:56 PM »

Interesting, if true. I'd hoped for Darian to be in charge of that side of things, but Scott's created such an improvement in Mike's band, it'll be interesting to see what effect he has with Brian's.

Darian hasn't been in charge of the BW band for some time. Apparently Mertens has been the MD recently. As for this tour, who knows? Hard to imagine it's one of Mike's guys, though.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 24, 2012, 04:50:30 PM »

Prodigal Son has signed off and will report back later after the show with a review and setlist.

End of the rollercoaster ride...for now!

Damn. Well ill be keeping tabs on twitter for pics

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 24, 2012, 04:52:16 PM »

Nice, Slim, that'll be cool.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 24, 2012, 04:57:15 PM »

SORRY !!

It's all in the timing ( British Humour )  Grin

Yes, I can see. I am American, but greatly love British humo(u)r. Wink With so many from the UK on here, it makes it even more enjoyable for myself.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 24, 2012, 04:57:34 PM »

Brand new news article from Tuscon tonight....note the highlighted section:

The Beach Boys Are Coming to Phoenix (And Playing Tucson Tonight)

It hurt back in February, when we had to announce that The Beach Boys were visiting our lovely neighbors to the South (some weird town nobody had every heard of called Tucson.

I suggested a road trip -- and if you were into the idea you're probably packing the car up now to head to the Anselmo Valencia Amphitheater at Casio Del Sol.

But fear not if the thought of the two hour trek on the I-10 sounds a bit much: The Beach Boys have announced a date right here in Phoenix. Mark your calenders: the band's 50th Anniversary tour (presumably featuring Uncle Jesse) is coming to Phoenix on Saturday, July 7 at Grand Canyon University.

"The songs are 2-minutes long, but they manage speak volumes," says Danny Zelisko, longtime Phoenix promoter and host of "The Regular Guy Radio Program" on 93.3 KDKB. "They're the guys."

Zelikso was in attendance for show rehearsals, and says the sets are lasting up to three hours.

"Honestly, it's like seeing The Beatles," Zelisko says.

Featuring Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston, and David Marks, The Beach Boys are scheduled to perform on Saturday, July 7 (weekend show). Tickets go on sale on Monday, April 30, through gcuarena.com.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsun/2012/04/beach_boys.php
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 24, 2012, 04:59:00 PM »

Well its nearly 1am here in the UK , looks like (again ) I'm in for a very very late night/early morning ( thankfully I'm working from home tomorrow/today ) but hey It's worth it  Cool
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 24, 2012, 05:01:02 PM »

That works out for ya nice eh Rob?  Put on some coffee (or tea??) and have yourself a mini-Beach Boys show tonight/this morning!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 24, 2012, 05:06:30 PM »

Well its nearly 1am here in the UK , looks like (again ) I'm in for a very very late night/early morning ( thankfully I'm working from home tomorrow/today ) but hey It's worth it  Cool
Good for you, man. Similar situation over here, but I gotta hit the sack soon... can't believe I'm going to be asleep while the BBs play their first reunion concert.  Undecided

People, I'm expecting photos, reviews and (if possible) a clip or two in the (German) morning, to go along with my Kellog's.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 24, 2012, 05:10:41 PM »

Man this is awesome..."This Whole World" and "Sail on Sailor" is like the top level of the obscurity level I was hoping for, but I was worried they wouldn't even do that much.  As long as songs like those are in the mix I'll be totally satisfied.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 24, 2012, 05:12:46 PM »

perhaps they're just playing all these gems in the soundcheck, and then they'll simply play the hits in the actual show.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 24, 2012, 05:13:33 PM »

That works out for ya nice eh Rob?  Put on some coffee (or tea??) and have yourself a mini-Beach Boys show tonight/this morning!

This time of night Justin it has to be the British way TEA all the way , coffee gets me too wired at the late hours - Big big time for me , like a lot of Brits the last time I saw Brian with the Boys was at Knebworth in June 1980 ( I was then 16 , a bloody life time ago - Married, then four gorgeous daughters and divorced - yes a life time ago )
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 05:15:13 PM by Rob Dean » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: April 24, 2012, 05:19:20 PM »

perhaps they're just playing all these gems in the soundcheck, and then they'll simply play the hits in the actual show.

It's certainly possible that we won't get every one of these tracks in the setlist. Artists often do stuff in soundchecks that either isn't in the actual setlist or is something that is rotated in and out of the setlist. I would imagine most everything they're doing in the soundcheck is a candidate for the tour and will more than likely be rotated into the setlist at some point. I don't think they are a typical artist that just jams on random stuff in soundchecks that never make it into setlists. It's sounding like they are working stuff out for inclusion in the show.

On the other hand, if they're rigging video stuff synced to songs and other lighting stuff, then the setlist would probably have to be tied down relatively firmly.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 24, 2012, 05:19:31 PM »

Phil? Is that you?

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 24, 2012, 05:24:01 PM »

What is showtime tonight? 7 pm pacific?  8 pm?  Remember, Arizona oddly does not observe day light savings time

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 24, 2012, 05:27:48 PM »

8pm PST as far as I know.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: April 24, 2012, 05:29:46 PM »

More like every state oddly DOES observe DST.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 24, 2012, 05:30:18 PM »

That works out for ya nice eh Rob?  Put on some coffee (or tea??) and have yourself a mini-Beach Boys show tonight/this morning!

This time of night Justin it has to be the British way TEA all the way , coffee gets me too wired at the late hours - Big big time for me , like a lot of Brits the last time I saw Brian with the Boys was at Knebworth in June 1980 ( I was then 16 , a bloody life time ago - Married, then four gorgeous daughters and divorced - yes a life time ago )

Better be some strong tea...Hope it keeps you up well through the night to see the show unfold!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 37 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx