gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:39:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The First Gig: Anselmo Valencia Ampitheater Tucson, AZ 4/24/12 (SETLIST/REVIEWS)  (Read 198977 times)
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: April 26, 2012, 03:25:32 PM »

another thing I'm noticing, because I'm separating the tracks into single songs (and therefore listening to the few seconds in between each song multiple times), is that there's a lot of false starts. like, Cowsill I guess will do the count-in and then only like one person will come in so they do the count in again and that's when the song starts.

the band should be paying more attention!

I thought it was understood that BW comes in late on a lot of stuff live?  I thought that was discussed a bit during the BWPS tour?  Maybe I'm misremembering.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 26, 2012, 03:35:59 PM »

Didn't notice it on Knebworth either.

I'm played in lots of loud rock bands for years and only started wearing earplugs about 8 months ago, so my hearing is probably pretty far gone.

That's because autotune was not present. This was 1980. Autotune (Antares Vocal Processor) wasn't around until 1997.

Think with regards to Knebworth, on the DVD version around today, Mike's voice has definetly been enhanced - live it won't have been as you say, but for the version we see of the concert, there has been some work.

For anyone who can't hear it at the AZ concert, listen to the Surfer Girl Brian-solo mid section, on the second "I.... would take you" - the pitch on the I fluctuates from perfect to zero, whereas normally in concert it would go a note or two down.

But having said that, it really does not matter, it's just great to see them performing live together again and doing a great job.

Seriously, it's totally there on the Knebworth DVD. Mike's singing voice sounds horribly digitally altered. I don't like watching that DVD at all because of it.

And I don't know how some of you can't hear Brian's autotune. Not knockin on ya, it's just so obvious to my ears that I don't know how anyone else could miss it.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 26, 2012, 03:41:34 PM »

I'm laughing my ass off about idiots here thinking they can hear auto-tune on a recording like this.  Meanwhile, EVERYBODY that was at the show says that it didn't sound like that.  EVERYBODY!   LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL

All it takes is ears, d00d. Clear as day on Brian's voice. An audience recording on any device is not just gonna magically create what sounds like autotune on only Brian's voice.

Also, one person said they didn't hear it - not "EVERYBODY! LOLOLOLOL"

That's because autotune was not present. This was 1980. Autotune (Antares Vocal Processor) wasn't around until 1997.

The mix was done after 1980. There is hella autotune on Mike on the show, so much so that he sounds pretty hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFF8TRflBRA go to 17:10

Hear how his voice sounds like it "glitches" and skips around a bit note-wise? How he sounds like a robot? "WHEEHHEHEEHENNNN SOOMMEEEE LLOOUDOUDDD BRARANGNGNGRRNGNGR TRRAHHSHHSS TOOO PUUPUTTTUTUTUT YOU DOOOWOWNONWOWNOWNN"?

You're probably right and I should have realized it was a modern mix. But listening to it, I just hear him sounding like crap and just singing badly. I can't help but think any tweaking of his voice would have actually made him sound better!

Is there any original 1980 mixes or footage we can look at and compare?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 26, 2012, 03:57:35 PM »

Absolutely crazy autotuning of Brian's voice. Anyone who can't hear it has terrible hearing.

After reading all this autotune crap today, I feel absolutely blessed to have terrible hearing. I feel bad for you guys, I really do. That you can't just feel joy without bitching about something or another.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 26, 2012, 04:02:15 PM »

Believe me, I  would SO LOVE TO FEEL JOY. And I do. Every time Brian isn't singing  Cry

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: April 26, 2012, 04:04:53 PM »

Absolutely crazy autotuning of Brian's voice. Anyone who can't hear it has terrible hearing.

After reading all this autotune crap today, I feel absolutely blessed to have terrible hearing. I feel bad for you guys, I really do. That you can't just feel joy without bitching about something or another.

They're not feeling joy.  Or complete joy.  This isn't the Blueboard and people have opinions.  From what I've heard of this reunion so far, I'm not blown away. I'm glad for Al and Dave to have the platform. It's not as good as the Eagles reunion.  I know a lot of people despise the Eagles, but when you hear stuff from the reunited Eagles, it still sounds like the old Eagles.  They may actually sound better and more professional than they did the first time around.  I'd like to see the Beach Boys have an extended sit down where they harmonize with acoustic guitars like the Eagles have done since reuniting.  It would give a better idea of what they actually sound like, even with different voices added to the mix (and no autotune, for anyone, in that setting).  I also wish Brian weren't hiding on the side of the stage behind a big piano.  He should try to get up front a little more, even if it's behind a small keyboard like his solo tours.  I'd just like to see him closer to the other band members.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: April 26, 2012, 04:09:16 PM »

Going by the vimeo audio, it's bad on H&V and especially the new single. Brian's voice is wobbling and jumping everywhere on TWGMTR. I'd rather hear him sing flat or sharp than digitally wobble all over the place.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 26, 2012, 04:10:33 PM »

It is a concert for crying out loud. There is some rough singing here and there and Brian has never been great at it over the past 30+ years. If autotune was used at the show, then the person should be shot, because Brian made a few mistakes and it didn't fix any of them that I can hear. I doubt if you are attending a show that you could ever tell if it is being employed. That's what you get for listening to a bootlegged, crappy sounding, iPhone recorded concert. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 26, 2012, 04:19:54 PM »

Believe me, I  would SO LOVE TO FEEL JOY. And I do. Every time Brian isn't singing  Cry

lol this.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: April 26, 2012, 04:21:07 PM »

Going by the vimeo audio, it's bad on H&V and especially the new single. Brian's voice is wobbling and jumping everywhere on TWGMTR. I'd rather hear him sing flat or sharp than digitally wobble all over the place.
I really don't no what you are hearing. I can't hear it and the band say's no Autotune was used. I think Brian's vocal is being "ghosted" and they are in tune and when Brian wobbles that is what you hear.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
adavidw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 26, 2012, 04:23:04 PM »

another thing I'm noticing, because I'm separating the tracks into single songs (and therefore listening to the few seconds in between each song multiple times), is that there's a lot of false starts. like, Cowsill I guess will do the count-in and then only like one person will come in so they do the count in again and that's when the song starts.

Can you give some examples?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 26, 2012, 04:28:05 PM »

Interesting regarding the Bruce comment, I hadn't even noticed that. If Brian was autotuned and others are commenting on it is it likely that they are not entirely happy about it? Whatever the story I just hope we enjoy the tour, they enjoy it and they finish it on a high!

Always something with these guys!

You can take the Bruce comment different ways.  I read it before everybody started talking about the autotune and didn't think anything of what he was saying, so he could have just harmlessly been using a bad phrase. 
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #787 on: April 26, 2012, 04:28:51 PM »

Can you give some examples?
Heroes and Villains.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 26, 2012, 04:31:40 PM »

Uh huh. Things that degrade the quality of something I love just make me so happy, Dr.Beach Boy. IF THAT IS YOUR REAL NAME. imo.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 26, 2012, 04:32:22 PM »

It's not as good as the Eagles reunion.  I know a lot of people despise the Eagles, but when you hear stuff from the reunited Eagles, it still sounds like the old Eagles.  They may actually sound better and more professional than they did the first time around.

That's because the Eagles SUCKED the first time around.  Really, everything they did they just stole from the Flying Burrito Brothers.  Give me a break.

Evil

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: April 26, 2012, 04:34:54 PM »

The eagles are much younger, too. 

BTW, i'm still loving all this music! Sounds great!  LONG LIVE THE BEACH BOYS, B-PAIN AND ALL!!! 

I have chosen to enjoy it.  I'm looking for the good parts, and I see plenty of good parts. 
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #791 on: April 26, 2012, 04:43:10 PM »

GOD I NOTICED THE AUTOTUNE!

That's why God made the Auto-tune.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: April 26, 2012, 04:45:10 PM »

Uh huh. Things that degrade the quality of something I love just make me so happy, Dr.Beach Boy. IF THAT IS YOUR REAL NAME. imo.

All that really matters is that the name "The Beach Boys" is on the ticket.  Everything else is gravy.  Having personal preferences regarding The Beach Boys' product is anti-Beach Boys.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: April 26, 2012, 04:53:49 PM »

All that really matters is that the name "The Beach Boys" is on the ticket.  Everything else is gravy.  Having personal preferences regarding The Beach Boys' product is anti-Beach Boys.

What if they went up there and played "Fuck The World" by the Insane Clown Posse for two and a half hour straight? Would you complain? How anti-Beach Boys of you ;(

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 26, 2012, 04:54:23 PM »

I wouldn't complain... I'd be wondering though if the world had ended and I didn't make the proper cut, though Smiley
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: April 26, 2012, 04:59:31 PM »

I think the issue with the autotune and its audibility or otherwise might (or might not) be down to how familiar it is. I simply don't know what autotune sounds like, because I only own a very small number of records with it on, and while I *think* I can hear what people are talking about, I'm not sure if that's just because I'm looking for it. I certainly wouldn't notice it normally. But I *do* easily notice the various compression artefacts (like the swooshing all over the cymbal and hi-hat) and the reverb and I can see someone wondering if all people were hearing is that.

To me, the autotune , if it's there at all, doesn't spoil the performance, but I hope that if it is there it gets removed or done differently before any of the shows which the people who it bothers go to, so it doesn't spoil it for them either. I think we can all agree there?

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 26, 2012, 05:05:10 PM »

Most of us will agree Andrew, but remember you can't please everybody.  If they are in fact autotuning Brian's voice, there's probably some people who will think he sounds worse without it... obviously some of those people are in a position to make it happen or not happen, and it may even be Brian himself.  If it's even there. 

BTW, some of the people who are complaining about this would start complaining about the size of the stage or the color of the lights if Brian's voice issue suddenly dissapeared.  Some are never happy unless they have something to hate on. 
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: April 26, 2012, 05:05:47 PM »

What if they went up there and played "Fuck The World" by the Insane Clown Posse for two and a half hour straight? Would you complain? How anti-Beach Boys of you ;(

I WOULD FEEL NOTHING BUT PURE JOY
SMiLE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 26, 2012, 05:06:10 PM »

It's not as good as the Eagles reunion.  I know a lot of people despise the Eagles, but when you hear stuff from the reunited Eagles, it still sounds like the old Eagles.  They may actually sound better and more professional than they did the first time around.

That's because the Eagles SUCKED the first time around.  Really, everything they did they just stole from the Flying Burrito Brothers.  Give me a break.

Evil
Technically they are just called "Eagles" according to  Glenn Frey. I hope the autotune issue ( if there is one ) is fixed quickly because I am going to see Brian more than the other guys.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 06:59:16 PM by SMiLE » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: April 26, 2012, 05:09:47 PM »

Nobody is hearing it inside the concert venue. No One mentioned it until the recording appeared.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,