gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680776 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 02:50:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 29: Blossom Music Center - Cuyahoga Falls, OH 6/13/12  (Read 22177 times)
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 05:59:22 AM »

Took a long drive and saw the show. A great show - at this point they is a well oiled machine. A rock n roll machine! (obscure Godz reference)

To me it was a treat to hear some of the additions to the set since they played Benedum in Pittsburgh (California Saga, Ole Betsy, Isn't It Time, It's OK). They also played the GV studio sessions vid during Good Vibrations - that's also new since early in the tour.

The crowd was a nice mix of generations, with a far amount of youngin's diggin' on the band . Pavilion was just about full, and the lawn was about 80% or so, with gaps in the extreme left/right. Blossom is a big place, about 18K capacity so they did alright. With so many people there, I got to relive the Blossom experience of a) searching for my car in the labyrinth parking lot layout and b) waiting forever for the traffic to let up. No problems - all the more reason to listen to the new CD and bask in the post concert glow.

One of the merch booths was sold out of the new disc, and they were running a special as well - buy 10 TWGMTR discs and receive one signed by the band. Hadn't heard of that promotion up until now, so fyi.

A funny moment from Al during Cottonfields. He missed a line, waited and then came back into the verse (which is all well and good), but then came the lyric:

Brother only one thing more that's gonna warm ya
A summer's day out in Cincinnati

Ah Al...Cincinnati was last night. You're in Cleveland tonight! God bless our Buckeye brother. The pride and joy of Lima, Ohio!

Are they still selling the CD's at $5 a pop? If so, I would buy ten of them for the autograph....

The autograph deal was a 10 CD pack for 100 bucks (and the autographed one included in the 10 discs).

They apparently also had 20 randomly signed ones in the general merchandise mix.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 06:00:35 AM by Dave Modny » Logged
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 06:38:32 AM »

That's a pretty smart promotion they're running, especially if album sales at the concerts counts towards soundscan/billboard. If 10 people each at the next 10 concerts buy the 10 pack for the autograph, they've sold an extra 1,000 copies pretty easily.   If I had the money, I'd have done that without question, kept the autographed disc and one other and resold 8 copies to my local Disc Exchange.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2012, 06:41:03 AM »

Did they have the signed 8x10's avaliable for $50?? I'd rather not have to drop $100 for 10 CD's that I already have, one of which I'm going to keep...

ALso, do they still have Al's CD avaliable signed? I'd like to buy it regardless, but thought this would be a good chance.

Also lol, any "setlist" from the soundcheck? How long did it run etc.

has anyone gotten things signed at the meet n greet lately? Any tips?
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2012, 06:51:51 AM »

That's a pretty smart promotion they're running, especially if album sales at the concerts counts towards soundscan/billboard. If 10 people each at the next 10 concerts buy the 10 pack for the autograph, they've sold an extra 1,000 copies pretty easily.   If I had the money, I'd have done that without question, kept the autographed disc and one other and resold 8 copies to my local Disc Exchange.

I'm not really into the whole autograph thing, so I didn't go for it. Though, I'll admit it was indeed both an excellent deal and an excellent promotion. A real win-win for everyone.

(With perhaps the exception of the folks looking to flip the autographed merchandise on eBay. That is, the available pool has definitely grown larger in terms of autographed BBs material out there).
skabandit22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2012, 07:51:43 AM »

I was completely blown away by how good they sounded. Brian started off weak but he just nailed it on the second set. At one point towards the end (Surfin' USA maybe) I noticed everyone was doing the same cheesy dance the crowd in their classic TV studio videos did. It was really magical. I wish I could follow a few more dates.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 07:57:36 AM »

Did they have the signed 8x10's avaliable for $50?? I'd rather not have to drop $100 for 10 CD's that I already have, one of which I'm going to keep...

ALso, do they still have Al's CD avaliable signed? I'd like to buy it regardless, but thought this would be a good chance.

Also lol, any "setlist" from the soundcheck? How long did it run etc.

has anyone gotten things signed at the meet n greet lately? Any tips?

I did not see the 8x10 autographed photos in the two merch booths I visited. They do however have Al's CD signed as well as David's CD, also signed. At $15 per, a great deal - grabbed 'em both up.

I didn't keep track of the set list, but it was similar to Cincy - with the substitution of Wendy for This Whole World.

The group autographed CD would be nice, but signed vinyl would be even better. Stick that sucker on the wall in a frame. Maybe they'll offer that down the road.

I was completely blown away by how good they sounded. Brian started off weak but he just nailed it on the second set. At one point towards the end (Surfin' USA maybe) I noticed everyone was doing the same cheesy dance the crowd in their classic TV studio videos did. It was really magical. I wish I could follow a few more dates.

What did you think of H & V? Brian really delivered on that one. In fact, he was in full voice for all the 2nd set.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 08:03:04 AM by Doo Dah » Logged

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
skabandit22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 08:08:39 AM »

The whole second set I would have thought he was autotuned if it didn't sound completely natural... and awesome. Also, one of my friends suggested that Mike Love's speaking voice is pretty similar to Kermit.  Grin
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2012, 08:35:12 AM »

I did not see the 8x10 autographed photos in the two merch booths I visited. They do however have Al's CD signed as well as David's CD, also signed. At $15 per, a great deal - grabbed 'em both up.

Did they have an autographed program available?  There was one in The Woodlands for $100.  I didn't buy a program at all, thinking I could get it online later, but they don't seem to be available online anymore.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2012, 08:50:20 AM »

Did they have an autographed program available?  There was one in The Woodlands for $100.  I didn't buy a program at all, thinking I could get it online later, but they don't seem to be available online anymore.

Oh yeah, they did. Saw a number of people pick those up.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2012, 08:56:25 AM »

I hadn't checked the online store for a while till just now, nearly all the hats are gone, and the program is  gone...guess they are selling quickly!!
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2012, 09:12:12 AM »

Did they have an autographed program available?  There was one in The Woodlands for $100.  I didn't buy a program at all, thinking I could get it online later, but they don't seem to be available online anymore.

Oh yeah, they did. Saw a number of people pick those up.

OK, thanks.  At the time I was tempted to get that instead of a t-shirt, but my wife was so jazzed about getting a shirt I so I spent $75 on shirts (plus CDs).  Am thinking maybe I need to see another concert...Colorado in July is pretty nice...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 09:13:57 AM by Les P » Logged
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2012, 11:38:34 PM »

Here's some snaps from Wednesday's show.

And the review: http://www.cleveland.com/popmusic/index.ssf/2012/06/beach_boys_keep_the_good_good.html

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2012, 12:07:40 AM »

From thirty years ago at Blossom. And almost to the day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlV7r799diQ&feature=relmfu

Time flies man. Saw 'em there ten years later at the SIP tour with special opener, David Cassidy! Oh boy.
I was at that show!  LOL It would have been only my second concert ever. I was seven at the time.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2012, 09:21:50 AM »

No Darlin? How about Soundcheck?

I didn't do the soundcheck but no "Darlin'" during the show. I wrote out the entire setlist, but I dropped the fododdin' thing marching back to my car. Ugh.

Anyway...looking at the previous night's list, and going from memory, the only thing that was different was no "This Whole World" tonight but "Wendy" back in. Foster The People joined them for "Wouldn't It Be Nice," and the dude in that band took the lead. IIRC, they also came back and joined in the chorus for one more.

If anyone finds my setlist in the Blossom parking lot......call me....lol.

FWIW, I found my rumpled setlist on the floor of my truck this morning.

I compared it to the setlist that the Plain Dealer printed in their review. Their list is 100% correct and in proper order. I actually forgot to write down "California Girls" on mine! Must have been the dancing...lol!

« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 12:53:09 AM by Dave Modny » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2012, 12:35:45 PM »

I get around
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeOnOjP8O_Y&feature=related

Add some music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZnPCar3_bg&feature=relmfu
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 12:39:50 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
marcusb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2012, 03:52:36 PM »

New to the board, thought I'd share some of the videos and photos I took at the show.

Surfer Girl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgMdqc8XZs4&feature=plcp

Wouldn't It Be Nice w/ Foster the People
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chaU3X8Yuzk&feature=plcp

Cotton Fields:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlEFdu26DHw&feature=plcp

Help Me, Rhonda:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2scILVQLBjM&feature=plcp

That's Why God Made The Radio:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_QeWwRopQg&feature=plcp

And here is a link to some photos I took:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150844342721571.389600.590176570&type=3
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx