gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 06:22:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TWGMTR Now Officially Loaded On YouTube  (Read 17064 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2012, 07:27:22 PM »

I do agree!  I just think more of it sucks than you do.  Don't diss me because you don't agree with my opinion, dude.

More stuff I noticed watching the 'video'.  Brian's singing about changing the channel on the radio, but a dead chick is doing it.  Again with the dead people.  

Nobody's playing instruments.  David is supposed to be a guitar virtuoso but when he picks up his guitar out of the case, he doesn't even plug it in.  I bought an electric guitar at a pawn shop, so I'm a musician, and I can tell you: Musicians have to plug in electric guitars.  Also it's clear from the picture that the snaps are on the wrong side of his case, mine, and the other one at the pawn shop open the OTHER WAY.  

When the music starts, nobody's standing at the microphones.  Also all the microphones are old.  No way that new technology can't make brand new microphones that sound good.  Also none of the headphones are Beats by Dre.  Everybody knows Beats By Dre are the best headphones... but this is a recording studio that doesn't have them?  Pfft.

Brian's wearing makeup.  That's unnatural.  

We're expected to think Brian produced it, but in reality he can't even keep a tempo anymore, at the end when he waves his hand he's off.  On my bootleg protools it'd be about half a measure off.  Depending on how I set it.    I don't have the manual, so I'm not sure what you call that little setting.  

Don't even get me started on the logo.  It's a weird color.  When I paintshop logos for my facebook page, I stay away from pastels because I think they're girly.  The Beach Boys used a pastel, therefore I could have done better.  My favorite font is Helvetica.

Their tour is all weird too.  Some of the dates they're playing don't make any sense.  They're not playing bowling green kentucky, and everybody knows you get lucky in bowling green everytime.  I heard that in a Glen Campbell song once, so it must be true.  

Smiley
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2012, 07:57:34 PM »

Wow, I'm pleasantly surprised.
Okay, it's obviously autotuned or pitch-corrected, but not as badly as Wilson Phillips on their latest, and these guys are a lot older.
Even with the pitch correction, the song has some warmth to it, and those harmonies are beautiful. And the lyrics...I was afraid they'd do some beach thing with lyrics that were entirely inappropriate for their age, but they went for a radio nostalgia thing that's so nice and really authentic.

I'm not a huge fan of Jeff's voice, but he doesn't overpower the thing.
Whoever arranged the harmonies (was it Brian?) did a really nice job. No phoning it in there.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2012, 08:03:09 PM »

More stuff I noticed watching the 'video'.  Brian's singing about changing the channel on the radio, but a dead chick is doing it.  Again with the dead people.  

I'm lost.  Elaborate please?

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2012, 08:17:37 PM »

I'm not condemning the use of pitch correction. I would use it if I could. Of course they use it. They'd be crazy not to take advantage of technology to improve their product. Didn't mean to piss off Ron, or those who behave like rational human beings but disagree with me.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2012, 08:22:47 PM »

Other things we should bitch about:

Recording the music instead of only doing it live

Amplifying the music, because hell nobody sounds like that.  Fill an entire arena?  Speakers?  WHAT THE f*ck

Double Tracking

Triple Tracking

Wall of Brian = 50 tracking

Reverb

That damn surf thing they do on the guitars

Sending us digital cd's instead of analog vinyl which was recorded live, 1 take, over and over again.  Anything less is just a bunch of 1's and 0's.

Letting dead people be on the album.  Tisk Tisk.  that's REALLY unnatural.  Dead people can't sing.

Smiling so much on the promo pictures.  Nobody smiles that much. 

All of them wearing brand new clothes in the promo pictures.  Nobody wears clothes 1 time then throws them away except for those women on the Real Housewives of New Jersey.

Their insistance on taking pictures of just the 5 or 6 guys they say are in the band, when we know damn good and well there's a 17 piece band and bus drivers to get them everywhere.  How come the bus drivers never get acknowledged?  Brian would be lost 5 minutes after he left the hotel if there were no bus driver!  All of Mike's cars are so old they'd break down on the highway if he pushed his little 'deuce coupe over about 45. 

I'm just sick of all the fakeness.  Not just the autotune.  All of it!
I do agree!  I just think more of it sucks than you do.  Don't diss me because you don't agree with my opinion, dude.

More stuff I noticed watching the 'video'.  Brian's singing about changing the channel on the radio, but a dead chick is doing it.  Again with the dead people. 

Nobody's playing instruments.  David is supposed to be a guitar virtuoso but when he picks up his guitar out of the case, he doesn't even plug it in.  I bought an electric guitar at a pawn shop, so I'm a musician, and I can tell you: Musicians have to plug in electric guitars.  Also it's clear from the picture that the snaps are on the wrong side of his case, mine, and the other one at the pawn shop open the OTHER WAY. 

When the music starts, nobody's standing at the microphones.  Also all the microphones are old.  No way that new technology can't make brand new microphones that sound good.  Also none of the headphones are Beats by Dre.  Everybody knows Beats By Dre are the best headphones... but this is a recording studio that doesn't have them?  Pfft.

Brian's wearing makeup.  That's unnatural. 

We're expected to think Brian produced it, but in reality he can't even keep a tempo anymore, at the end when he waves his hand he's off.  On my bootleg protools it'd be about half a measure off.  Depending on how I set it.    I don't have the manual, so I'm not sure what you call that little setting. 

Don't even get me started on the logo.  It's a weird color.  When I paintshop logos for my facebook page, I stay away from pastels because I think they're girly.  The Beach Boys used a pastel, therefore I could have done better.  My favorite font is Helvetica.

Their tour is all weird too.  Some of the dates they're playing don't make any sense.  They're not playing bowling green kentucky, and everybody knows you get lucky in bowling green everytime.  I heard that in a Glen Campbell song once, so it must be true. 

Smiley

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2012, 09:33:02 PM »

I'm lost.  Elaborate please?

Meaning I think the car driving along the coast. Karen Lamm from the 'Its Ok' program. (1976?)
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2012, 09:37:23 PM »

In addition to "You Only Live Twice" this song also reminds me of this Paul Steel track...

http://paulsteel.bandcamp.com/track/i-will-make-you-disappear
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2012, 10:40:02 PM »

Hate to be a downer, but this song does nothing for me.  Too bad.
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2012, 11:01:38 PM »

The song sounds like it could be kinda cool... I just wish the recording had some personality. I don't know who produced it but it sounds like the safest, most boring production to me. I always guessed/feared it would sound like this but hoped that maybe it would sound cooler.

Who produced it?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2012, 11:26:54 PM »

Sounds like it would not have been out of place on "Imagination" - an album that I am guilty of liking. Yes, Brian, there is one guy out here that enjoyed that album, Joe Thomas be damned! I wasn't expected edgy, alternative music from a middle aged Brian Wilson, and I'm not expecting it now.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2012, 11:35:13 PM »

In addition to "You Only Live Twice" this song also reminds me of this Paul Steel track...

This Paul Steel song always reminds me of the BBs 'Your Summer Dream'. I think the first few bars of melody are identical. By the way, this is a great album for Beach Boys fans, if you haven't heard it yet.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2012, 11:50:16 PM »

I wasn't expected edgy, alternative music from a middle aged Brian Wilson

Against all odds, Brian Wilson not only survived far longer than anyone would have expected, but will also live to be 138. In his final year, he will cover the Misfits' "We Are 138" as "I Am 138", and then die after screaming the last "eight". He will also look and speak like the guy seven seconds into this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRGogGbYaLU

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2012, 02:15:14 AM »

I hear ' Midnight Cowboy'. - 'That's Why God ..made     That's Why God ..made'
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2012, 04:38:38 AM »

"you only live twice" = "your summer dream"

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2012, 04:39:08 AM »

The song sounds like it could be kinda cool... I just wish the recording had some personality. I don't know who produced it but it sounds like the safest, most boring production to me. I always guessed/feared it would sound like this but hoped that maybe it would sound cooler.

Who produced it?

Brian Douglas Wilson

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2012, 06:17:34 AM »

Who produced it?

What would make it sound cooler?

Beats?

More autotune?
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2012, 06:22:18 AM »

Other things we should bitch about:

Recording the music instead of only doing it live

Amplifying the music, because hell nobody sounds like that.  Fill an entire arena?  Speakers?  WHAT THE f*ck

Double Tracking

Triple Tracking

Wall of Brian = 50 tracking

Reverb

That damn surf thing they do on the guitars

Sending us digital cd's instead of analog vinyl which was recorded live, 1 take, over and over again.  Anything less is just a bunch of 1's and 0's.

Letting dead people be on the album.  Tisk Tisk.  that's REALLY unnatural.  Dead people can't sing.

Smiling so much on the promo pictures.  Nobody smiles that much. 

All of them wearing brand new clothes in the promo pictures.  Nobody wears clothes 1 time then throws them away except for those women on the Real Housewives of New Jersey.

Their insistance on taking pictures of just the 5 or 6 guys they say are in the band, when we know damn good and well there's a 17 piece band and bus drivers to get them everywhere.  How come the bus drivers never get acknowledged?  Brian would be lost 5 minutes after he left the hotel if there were no bus driver!  All of Mike's cars are so old they'd break down on the highway if he pushed his little 'deuce coupe over about 45. 

I'm just sick of all the fakeness.  Not just the autotune.  All of it!
I do agree!  I just think more of it sucks than you do.  Don't diss me because you don't agree with my opinion, dude.

More stuff I noticed watching the 'video'.  Brian's singing about changing the channel on the radio, but a dead chick is doing it.  Again with the dead people. 

Nobody's playing instruments.  David is supposed to be a guitar virtuoso but when he picks up his guitar out of the case, he doesn't even plug it in.  I bought an electric guitar at a pawn shop, so I'm a musician, and I can tell you: Musicians have to plug in electric guitars.  Also it's clear from the picture that the snaps are on the wrong side of his case, mine, and the other one at the pawn shop open the OTHER WAY. 

When the music starts, nobody's standing at the microphones.  Also all the microphones are old.  No way that new technology can't make brand new microphones that sound good.  Also none of the headphones are Beats by Dre.  Everybody knows Beats By Dre are the best headphones... but this is a recording studio that doesn't have them?  Pfft.

Brian's wearing makeup.  That's unnatural. 

We're expected to think Brian produced it, but in reality he can't even keep a tempo anymore, at the end when he waves his hand he's off.  On my bootleg protools it'd be about half a measure off.  Depending on how I set it.    I don't have the manual, so I'm not sure what you call that little setting. 

Don't even get me started on the logo.  It's a weird color.  When I paintshop logos for my facebook page, I stay away from pastels because I think they're girly.  The Beach Boys used a pastel, therefore I could have done better.  My favorite font is Helvetica.

Their tour is all weird too.  Some of the dates they're playing don't make any sense.  They're not playing bowling green kentucky, and everybody knows you get lucky in bowling green everytime.  I heard that in a Glen Campbell song once, so it must be true. 

Smiley

LOL

That girly's favourite font is Legal Tender

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2012, 06:36:49 AM »

And Ron, we get it, BRI is paying you to not rock the boat. People can have f*cking opinions. Don't just dismiss them because you don't agree.

Look, it's not just a matter of having and voicing an opinion. It's a matter of reasonably supporting it.

And for a while now, the autotune thing has become a topic for fans that pretend to know better than the Beach Boys. It got tiresome.

I don’t think this is accurate at all. At least for me, I don’t pretend to know more than the BB’s. I know autotune is used; and so do they (I would hope and presume). The issue at hand is whether it should be used, and that boils down to the same subjective analysis that goes into saying whether one likes a song or not, or likes the production, and so on.

If one likes something and somebody else doesn’t, there is not “knowing better.” It’s 100% opinion. As I’ve said in a few threads, I’ve given up the “it loses musical integrity to use autotune” argument. At this point, it’s just an aesthetic thing, like not liking something because they put too much reverb on it. So in *some* cases, autotune results in a sound I don’t like. That’s all.

Now, on the other hand, if what we’re talking about is debating whether autotune is even being used, that’s where an impasse is going to be hit. We can’t judge much other than one full song and another partial one when it comes to new BB recordings. But if we’re going to debate whether, say, “Do It Again” even has autotune (or something of a similar nature in terms of digital plug-ins), then there’s nowhere to take the debate. It’s like someone contending some sort of well-known lip-sync artist is not lip-syncing because you can’t prove it unless the singer admits it or you can have access to the actual recording they are lip-syncing to. Of course we can’t prove with 100% certainty if autotune is used on any given recording unless the artist or producer admits it or we were personally in the studio. But the hallmarks of its use are very obvious.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2012, 07:13:26 AM »

And Ron, we get it, BRI is paying you to not rock the boat. People can have f*cking opinions. Don't just dismiss them because you don't agree.

Look, it's not just a matter of having and voicing an opinion. It's a matter of reasonably supporting it.

And for a while now, the autotune thing has become a topic for fans that pretend to know better than the Beach Boys. It got tiresome.
You ain't just whistlin' Dixie (Autotuned, of course)! Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2012, 09:18:26 AM »

Who produced it?

What would make it sound cooler?

Beats?

More autotune?

More Jeff Foskett.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2012, 10:32:47 AM »

I don’t think this is accurate at all. At least for me, I don’t pretend to know more than the BB’s. I know autotune is used; and so do they (I would hope and presume). The issue at hand is whether it should be used, and that boils down to the same subjective analysis that goes into saying whether one likes a song or not, or likes the production, and so on.

If one likes something and somebody else doesn’t, there is not “knowing better.” It’s 100% opinion. As I’ve said in a few threads, I’ve given up the “it loses musical integrity to use autotune” argument. At this point, it’s just an aesthetic thing, like not liking something because they put too much reverb on it. So in *some* cases, autotune results in a sound I don’t like. That’s all.

Now, on the other hand, if what we’re talking about is debating whether autotune is even being used, that’s where an impasse is going to be hit. We can’t judge much other than one full song and another partial one when it comes to new BB recordings. But if we’re going to debate whether, say, “Do It Again” even has autotune (or something of a similar nature in terms of digital plug-ins), then there’s nowhere to take the debate. It’s like someone contending some sort of well-known lip-sync artist is not lip-syncing because you can’t prove it unless the singer admits it or you can have access to the actual recording they are lip-syncing to. Of course we can’t prove with 100% certainty if autotune is used on any given recording unless the artist or producer admits it or we were personally in the studio. But the hallmarks of its use are very obvious.

Exactly. People have been slathering pitch correction and autotune on vocals for so long now that many singers sing in a style conducive to autotune - perfectly hitting every note - even without the pitch correction.

Vocal pitch correction annoys me because I don't like all the humanity being squashed out of a vocal performance, especially with one of the great vocal groups of all time. I have never used pitch correction on my own vocals, and sometimes people assume that I do, which can get a bit annoying - but mainly, I don't like the way it changes the timbre of a voice. In the end, it is a tool like anything else.

The upshot is that the pitch correction on TWGMTR is tasteful, as it has been on Brian's solo albums. "Do It Again 2011" had me worried because of the large amount of pitch correction, specifically on Mike's vocal, but TWGMTR isn't too bad in the autotune department.

- B00ts
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2012, 10:46:46 AM »

Exactly. People have been slathering pitch correction and autotune on vocals for so long now that many singers sing in a style conducive to autotune - perfectly hitting every note - even without the pitch correction.

Vocal pitch correction annoys me because I don't like all the humanity being squashed out of a vocal performance, especially with one of the great vocal groups of all time. I have never used pitch correction on my own vocals, and sometimes people assume that I do, which can get a bit annoying - but mainly, I don't like the way it changes the timbre of a voice. In the end, it is a tool like anything else.

The upshot is that the pitch correction on TWGMTR is tasteful, as it has been on Brian's solo albums. "Do It Again 2011" had me worried because of the large amount of pitch correction, specifically on Mike's vocal, but TWGMTR isn't too bad in the autotune department.

Boy, you really must enjoy your GIOMH album. Grin

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2012, 12:32:29 PM »

Can`t watch it in my location.  Sad

Any other way to hear it?

What's your location, Germany? There's an add-on for Firefox called ProxTube which should make it work.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2012, 01:21:33 PM »

Autotune is the work of the devil and, frankly, offensive and painful to my ears. When used with vocal harmony it sounds like so many car horns.

Case closed.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2012, 01:45:27 PM »

Autotune is the work of the devil and, frankly, offensive and painful to my ears. When used with vocal harmony it sounds like so many car horns.

Case closed.

When it's overused. When the vibrato of the voice is straightened for that robot effect, yes, it's horrible.

When it's used to nudge the pitch on a few bum notes of an otherwise perfect take, then it's invaluable.

I'll bet there's a lot of times you don't even know it's there.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx