gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680869 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 08:09:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Replacements Box Set  (Read 3417 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 27, 2006, 06:48:01 PM »

http://members.aol.com/paulspage/news.htm

March 19, 2006
I'm sure many of you have heard bits and pieces about the upcoming Rhino Mats box set. I was hoping to nail down the details before posting anything and I'm still working on that but in the meantime, here's some initial info on the project.

Check out this Rhino podcast, which features an interview with Tommy (at about 15:30 into the podcast) about all the things he's working on, including the box set. This will be a joint relase with Ryko and will include previously unreleased stuff (yay), a DVD with live footage, including SNL, and some European TV appearances. Aside from the box set, Tommy talks about a bunch of other projects he's working on including G n' R, a movie soundtrack, his solo stuff and playing with Soul Asylum. Also includes a discussion of what a snappy dresser Tommy is.

In addition to the box, "Bastards of Young: The Best of Replacements" is slated to be released on May 23. This is a single CD best-of and I'm not certain yet if this will include just album tracks or also have a bonus track or two. Note that this release date is just for the best-of CD, the box set is coming out at a later date.

Elsewhere, check out the continued progess on the Mats fan documentary "Color Me Obsessed", the trailer will be showing at Noisepop in SF on March 30 at 7:15PM, click here for the details.

The most recent Westerberg/Mats tribute night took place in MPLS on March 11 at The Terminal Bar. Check out the MWT message board for some videos and MP3s from the show.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000817154

While appearing on Sex Pistols guitarist Steve Jones' Los Angeles radio show earlier this week, Westerberg revealed he recently recorded a song with Replacements bassist Tommy Stinson, which is expected to appear in Cameron Crowe's forthcoming film "Elizabethtown."

And while the likelihood of a Replacements reunion remains slim ("It can't be the Replacements without Chris [Mars] the drummer, and he's moved on into art and doesn't really want to come back," Westerberg told Jones), a host of reissues are in the works.

Rykodisc, which owns the rights to the band's Twin Tone releases, will reissue the Replacements first four albums in the fall, bolstered with rare bonus tracks. Rhino will give the same treatment to the group's late-period albums for Warner Bros.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 06:51:56 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 06:49:53 PM »

30 March 2006
Replacements reunite for new songs

The three surviving founding members of seminal US rock group The Replacements have reunited for their first new recordings in 16 years.

Billboard reports that Paul Westerberg, Tommy Stinson and Chris Mars have teamed up to record two new tracks, 'Message to the Boys' and 'Pool & Dive', for the upcoming compilation album 'Don't You Know Who I Think I Was?: The Best of the Replacements', which is due out in June.

Widely credited as one of the pioneering American acts of the 1980s, The Replacements split up in 1991 with Westerberg and Stinson continuing their musical careers and Mars working primarily as a visual artist.

The band's other founding member, guitarist Bob Stinson, died in 1995.

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2006/0330/thereplacements.html

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 06:52:24 PM »

Posted on Wed, Mar. 29, 2006
Photo stirs Replacements reunion rumors
BY ROSS RAIHALA
Pioneer Press

A mysterious photo circulating on the Internet has sparked rumors that the Replacements have reunited to record new material.

The picture, which was posted Monday on the gossip site Buddyhead.com, shows Replacements drummer Chris Mars, bassist Tommy Stinson and vocalist/guitarist Paul Westerberg posing in a recording studio with session drummer Josh Freese. By mid-day Tuesday, it had been removed from Buddyhead.com as well as from a Westerberg fan site.

Westerberg's manager, Darren Hill, said an official statement would follow soon, possibly today, and added, "There is a lot of misinformation going around."

Fans on the Web have speculated what the photo could mean, suggesting the group — which disbanded in 1991 — might be recording songs for an upcoming Replacements box set. Some have wondered if the whole thing is an early April Fool's Day gag.

Jeff White, a publicist for Rhino Records, echoed Hill's sentiment about the rumors: "The Web is the bane of my existence."

He did confirm a single-disc Replacements compilation that spans the band's career is tentatively due out in late June. Remastered versions of the Replacements' studio albums — including fan favorites "Let it Be," "Tim" and "Pleased to Meet Me" — would likely follow by the end of the year.

"There is a box set in the works," White said, "but it's probably a year off. It's way too early to say what (it will contain)."

White said he was aware of the photo and confirmed band members were in the studio together, but he did not know any further details.

In a recent podcast available for download from Rhino's Web site, Stinson said band members have been sorting through the vaults as well as looking at televised Replacements performances from "Saturday Night Live" and European TV for possible inclusion in the box set.

Stinson also discussed his work with Westerberg on the soundtrack for the upcoming animated film "Open Season," which in turn led to Stinson landing his own film deal, writing music for "Catch and Release," a romantic comedy starring Jennifer Garner that's due next year.

Pop Music Critic Ross Raihala can be reached at rraihala@pioneerpress.com or 651-228-5553.

Read more about the local music scene on his blog, "The Ross Who Knew Too Much," at www.twincities.com.

The Replacements were one of Minneapolis' most celebrated underground bands of the '80s and released several albums for the local Twin/Tone label before signing a deal with Sire Records.

Original guitarist Bob Stinson died in 1995, while his replacement Slim Dunlap continues to perform live around the Twin Cities. Tommy Stinson, Westerberg and Mars each pursued solo careers, although in recent years Mars has concentrated on his work as a painter. Tommy Stinson is also a member of Guns 'N Roses and has performed live with Soul Asylum in place of the late bassist Karl Mueller.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/14212248.htm

« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 06:54:18 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 06:52:37 PM »

March 30, 2006
Finally, we have some actual news on the Mats and Rhino, with facts and everything! Been a lot of back and forth over the past two days, but here is the bottom line:

Replacements Reunite For New Songs (Billboard)

The details: Paul, Tommy and Chris got together a few months ago and recorded 2 new songs that will appear on "Don't You Know Who I Think I Was?: The Best of the Replacements", a single CD due out from Rhino on June 13 (The previous title listed on Amazon.com was "Bastards of Young" and the original release date was May 23.). Chris did not play drums on the tracks, Josh Freese handled the drumming chores and Chris contributed backing vocals. The new songs -- "Message to the Boys" and "Pool & Dive", were written by Paul.

Ok, now that you have digested THAT news, there are two other projects in the works with Rhino:

* The long-talked about, oft-planned Mats box set is...still long-talked about and oft-planned. The Billboard story says it's still very much a work in progress and 2007 is the earliest it will appear. For some background on the box set, check out this Rhino podcast, which features an interview with Tommy (at about 15:30 into the podcast) about all the things he's working on, including the box set.
    * The other Rhino project is remastered versions of the Replacements' studio albums, my understanding is that it will be all of the albums. No definite time frame on that, but in a Pioneer Press story, Rhino says it they will "likely" be out by the end of the year.

The track listing for the best of CD is:

1. "Takin a Ride"
   2. "Shiftless When Idle"
   3. "Kids Don't Follow"
   4. "Color Me Impressed"
   5. "Within Your Reach"
   6. "I Will Dare"
   7. "Answering Machine"
   8. "Unsatisfied"
   9. "Here Comes a Regular"
  10. "Kiss Me on the Bus"
  11. "Bastards of Young"