gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680839 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 08:15:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys on CBS Sunday Morning 4/29/12  (Read 24714 times)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2012, 04:57:56 PM »

For the reporter, having Brian say he doesn't want to talk about that topic is probably almost as juicy as having Brian answer the question.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2012, 05:07:42 PM »

He ain't dominant in the sense that he's oppressing the other guys. He's simply the spokesman of the band (in a sense he's always been), he's good at this kind of stuff. I'm sure it's something the guys agreed upon for the reunion press coverage, and this interview in particular, and it's the right decision.

Shame though that we didn't see a sentence out of Dave, really. There's a snippet where he's clearly answering a question, just with some BBs song audible instead of his voice. Guess they took all of that out to focus on Mike & Brian.

Indeed. I wasn`t criticizing Mike. It`s just so blatant here that he and Brian are the band leaders. I do wonder how Al feels about everything. First the decision was made that the backing band would be made up of none of his musicians and his son was also not included, then his songs were apparently omitted from the new CD and also songs that he was hoping to perform in concert like California Saga and Looking at Tomorrow have been left out.
Yes, this sucks. I really wish Matt Jardine were included, but then again no family members/sons are being included. Matt Jardine and Christian Love in particular could have added a lot to the blend.

This was a good piece because it had a new interview with the reunited Beach Boys. They do seem to get along pretty well nowadays. It looks as though David's attitude helps things, as he is a tension-breaker. People like that can be very important in a band with strong personalities (Mike, Al, Brian).

As for the reporter, he is a jerk-off, like most of his ilk. "But this band who was known for harmony had some very unharmonious times" or whatever. He must have thought he was so clever, saying something that has probably been said in every two-bit news piece about the Beach Boys. I love the fact that Brian refused to play patient-therapist on national televison - his refusal to focus on his mental problems is refreshing, and I would love it if he did this to every interviewer who seeks to exploit Brian's personal life for the sake of a good hook.

It wasn't a two-bit news piece, though, it was a ten minute segment on a national news show, which is way more time than some people would think they deserve.  I thought it was very classy and thoughtful, probably one of the best short bio/interview pieces on the Beach Boys.  I don't think the question was that out of line.  It may have been the reporter was trying to get an idea of Brian's personality and his current ability to handle pressure.  Considering he once had a nervous breakdown touring with the band and has alternated bad experiences touring with them with avoiding them years at a time, it's a fair question.  Brian handled it well by refusing to talk about it. It made him look strong and like he's moved on.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2012, 05:23:22 PM »

It wasn't a two-bit news piece, though, it was a ten minute segment on a national news show, which is way more time than some people would think they deserve.  I thought it was very classy and thoughtful, probably one of the best short bio/interview pieces on the Beach Boys.  I don't think the question was that out of line.  It may have been the reporter was trying to get an idea of Brian's personality and his current ability to handle pressure.  Considering he once had a nervous breakdown touring with the band and has alternated bad experiences touring with them with avoiding them years at a time, it's a fair question.  Brian handled it well by refusing to talk about it. It made him look strong and like he's moved on.

I agree with Brian's handling of it, absolutely. But to be fair, the reporter could have latched onto any number of issues with Mike, Al, and Dave (Bruce stays out of the hurricane, usually) and ask them just as Brian was asked. Mike freaked out as a result of a fast before a prominent show at least once which we know of when Brian had to fill in, Al got sued and avoided Mike for some time over touring issues, David got kicked out of the band for no discernible reason other than Murry meddling in stuff...we all know this stuff here, and any one of those issues could have been the "juicy" part of the interview for public consumption if it had been raised. But Brian's story is/was the most public, so I guess that's why they asked him and not the others.

The band's history is full of drama, it wouldn't be hard for a reporter to zero in on something other than Brian for a change of pace if he/she wants some drama.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2012, 11:53:27 PM »

He ain't dominant in the sense that he's oppressing the other guys. He's simply the spokesman of the band (in a sense he's always been), he's good at this kind of stuff. I'm sure it's something the guys agreed upon for the reunion press coverage, and this interview in particular, and it's the right decision.

Shame though that we didn't see a sentence out of Dave, really. There's a snippet where he's clearly answering a question, just with some BBs song audible instead of his voice. Guess they took all of that out to focus on Mike & Brian.

Indeed. I wasn`t criticizing Mike. It`s just so blatant here that he and Brian are the band leaders. I do wonder how Al feels about everything. First the decision was made that the backing band would be made up of none of his musicians and his son was also not included, then his songs were apparently omitted from the new CD and also songs that he was hoping to perform in concert like California Saga and Looking at Tomorrow have been left out.
Yes, this sucks. I really wish Matt Jardine were included, but then again no family members/sons are being included. Matt Jardine and Christian Love in particular could have added a lot to the blend.

This was a good piece because it had a new interview with the reunited Beach Boys. They do seem to get along pretty well nowadays. It looks as though David's attitude helps things, as he is a tension-breaker. People like that can be very important in a band with strong personalities (Mike, Al, Brian).

As for the reporter, he is a jerk-off, like most of his ilk. "But this band who was known for harmony had some very unharmonious times" or whatever. He must have thought he was so clever, saying something that has probably been said in every two-bit news piece about the Beach Boys. I love the fact that Brian refused to play patient-therapist on national televison - his refusal to focus on his mental problems is refreshing, and I would love it if he did this to every interviewer who seeks to exploit Brian's personal life for the sake of a good hook.

It was a ten-minute segment on a national news show with high production values (compared to local news) and large audience. Perhaps two-bit was the wrong word for the show, but it is the right word for this guy's journalism. If it bleeds, it leads.

It was an excellent piece because it had the reunited Beach Boys in it, that's for sure.

- B00ts
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2012, 12:23:13 AM »

a) Brian & Mike got the better touring musicians (who also toured far more with the material than Al's people).
b) As far as I know Matt Jardine wasn't up to the task vocally, plus they needed Foskett to include Brian and thus would have had two CEOs of Falsetto on board.
c) As of yet they played only a handful of gigs - who knows what tunes they will add later on the tour? Plus, Al's got WIBN, HMR, CF etc. so far - I think he's okay with that.

a) I think all 3 bands are comprised of musicians who know the material backwards and forwards....as far as Al's band not performing the material much...well, Ed Carter, Bobby Figueroa, and Billy Hinsche have decades of experience playing the music.
b) Matt sounds just fine to these ears.  Saw him at the March 20th Al Jardine show and he sounded great!  There are videos on youtube, check them out!

I do agree with the sentiment that Al is being very humble in taking a back seat to Brian and Mike in all the press and decision making on the tour and the album.  There was a recent interview where Al said that he would ask Mike if they could do a certain song on the tour, and another where Brian and Mike were implied to be in charge of what goes on the album and the concerts setlists.  Do I agree with the way Al is treated as, in a way, less than Brian and Mike?  No.  But am I happy that everyone seems to be getting along fine and putting the past behind?  YES!  Smiley
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2012, 01:18:55 AM »

Oh yeah, "Rubber Soul" is the best Beatles album, I have no idea how "Revolver" ranked above it in that "best album" of all time poll from a few years back.

Probably because amongst the people who voted there were just accidentally more people with my taste than people with yours... Wink 2 To me, Revolver is the best one, but it's of course just a matter of taste, not objective quality.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
MBE
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2012, 05:48:19 AM »

Mike should fess up that he smoked pot and not make it like The Wilson's drug problems really hurt the band for decades when maybe it was ten or eleven years. Still it was cool to see them.= and otherwise he and the others were fine. Brian obviously didn't agree on the fear quote that particular day or even remember saying it. Honestly the one thing any interviewer should know about Brian is that his feelings on anything change depending on his mood. I didn't like that the sensational tone taken at times, but thought it was cool they talked pretty upfront about the break up and the reunion.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2012, 06:50:45 AM »

It is mind boggling to think that someone who is 70 or near 70 should have to respond for whatever they did or didn't do in their 20's and 30's.  Even the IRS can reach back about 7 years into your financial life.  We have Statutes of Limitations.  Why does the press feel entitled to old lifestyle information?  Brian told them nicely "Nun-ya!" (as in "business.")

They don't have to condone or condemn 40-50 year old issues.  It is ancient history. 

It is a distractor from the focus on the music.    JMHO 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2012, 07:16:50 AM »

Brian's whole legend and mystique are all based on the 1966-1976 time frame. Reporters are bound to ask about it.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2012, 07:57:44 AM »

Brian's whole legend and mystique are all based on the 1966-1976 time frame. Reporters are bound to ask about it.

Sorry, I don't agree.  My take is that it was more a "building block" systematic inclusion of modeling of vocal techniques, rock music chord progression, doo-wop, and barbershop harmony, among a plethora of composition and input from various sources.  And some "imprinting" from his family.   Seeing a music score with your father's name on it, notwithstanding that whole "constellation," is an infuence.  Often kids take early influences from their parents, whether in medicine, law, teaching, business, politics, etc.  The family music influence was profound. 

Yes, reporters are likely to ask, because it is a sensationalization of the history and a ratings vehicle.  All the band members brought something to the table.  The work of the band, in the earlier years indicated profound talent, lyrically and vocally. 

The real contemporaries of the band, were into Elvis, Doo Wop and did the jitterbug.  They are the early baby boomers.  And, if there are villains in this story, it should be those charlatans who brought the trouble to the door.   It is interesting that the means of "controlling actors and musicians" is just starting to surface as a back story.   It is in poor taste, when the crux of the tone of the reunion should be fully positive and demonstrative of survival and growth. 

Even the story after Carl died is so compelling.  Each band had to develop new skill sets, independence of one another and, that, rather than the negative, might have been presented.  Each band mentored and taught young musicians.  And Brian's band guys used technology not even dreamed of in the 1966-1976 era, to recapture the old tracks for the SMiLE project.  The young people taught the guys new ways of looking at music via technology. 

And, I think that is a better story but that might require a little due diligence and research.  People were shocked to see Brian on the road after 1998.  I find that to be a more worthwhile and inspiring story.

The fact that they made good use of their time, and found a way to grow, while not together is as much a reason to celebrate a reunion. 

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2012, 07:59:38 AM »

Grin
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:00:52 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2012, 08:28:51 AM »

Sorry, I don't agree.  My take is that it was more a "building block" systematic inclusion of modeling of vocal techniques, rock music chord progression, doo-wop, and barbershop harmony, among a plethora of composition and input from various sources.  And some "imprinting" from his family.   Seeing a music score with your father's name on it, notwithstanding that whole "constellation," is an infuence.  Often kids take early influences from their parents, whether in medicine, law, teaching, business, politics, etc.  The family music influence was profound. 

Yes, reporters are likely to ask, because it is a sensationalization of the history and a ratings vehicle.  All the band members brought something to the table.  The work of the band, in the earlier years indicated profound talent, lyrically and vocally. 

The real contemporaries of the band, were into Elvis, Doo Wop and did the jitterbug.  They are the early baby boomers.  And, if there are villains in this story, it should be those charlatans who brought the trouble to the door.   It is interesting that the means of "controlling actors and musicians" is just starting to surface as a back story.   It is in poor taste, when the crux of the tone of the reunion should be fully positive and demonstrative of survival and growth. 

Even the story after Carl died is so compelling.  Each band had to develop new skill sets, independence of one another and, that, rather than the negative, might have been presented.  Each band mentored and taught young musicians.  And Brian's band guys used technology not even dreamed of in the 1966-1976 era, to recapture the old tracks for the SMiLE project.  The young people taught the guys new ways of looking at music via technology. 

And, I think that is a better story but that might require a little due diligence and research.  People were shocked to see Brian on the road after 1998.  I find that to be a more worthwhile and inspiring story.

The fact that they made good use of their time, and found a way to grow, while not together is as much a reason to celebrate a reunion. 

You might not agree, but all you need to do is go back and read just about any interview or stories about Brian and the Boys', and Brian's troubles are written about in spades. We are sick & tired of it, but I suppose it makes for a good human interest story; relating stories of the troubled genius Beach Boy, in his own words, sometimes.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Nicko1234
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2012, 08:38:09 AM »

But they were only shocked because of all of his earlier problems. If you don`t talk about all of his mental problems then there is no story with regard to his live work.

The fact that Brian is still mentally ill means that these questions are relevant anyway.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2012, 08:54:05 AM »

But they were only shocked because of all of his earlier problems. If you don`t talk about all of his mental problems then there is no story with regard to his live work.

The fact that Brian is still mentally ill means that these questions are relevant anyway.

/quote]

Recently, a story of the wonderful late Mike Wallace ran on the 60 Minutes tribute to his life's work.  Mike had a problem with depression.  Mike chose to use the vehicle of his celebrity status to raise awareness to this issue, how common it is, and how he dealt with it. 

That, is a personal choice.  Mike Wallace was a reporter-jounalist, whose focus was on reporting issues that were newsworthy.  I view this as different and how I distinguish it.  Brian is a musician.  His work is as a composer.  Jouralism is not his profession.  And he chose not to respond.  The press often feel entiitled to know the minutiae of everyone's life.  They often have no boundaries.   And prod into sensitive areas that the interviewee does not wish to venture.  Brian is not on the stand in court.  He was forcefully appropriate in his response.  JMHO

NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2012, 09:03:00 AM »

Mike should fess up that he smoked pot and not make it like The Wilson's drug problems really hurt the band for decades when maybe it was ten or eleven years. .

But the effect lasted a long long time
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2012, 09:09:22 AM »

Oh yeah, "Rubber Soul" is the best Beatles album, I have no idea how "Revolver" ranked above it in that "best album" of all time poll from a few years back.

Probably because amongst the people who voted there were just accidentally more people with my taste than people with yours... Wink 2 To me, Revolver is the best one, but it's of course just a matter of taste, not objective quality.

i don't the acclaim for Revolver either.  I just don't hear it i suppose
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2012, 09:17:48 AM »

And if we are talking about the U.S. versions, which Brian heard back in the day, then Rubber Soul is the much better album, imho.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Joanne
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2012, 09:57:08 AM »

a) Brian & Mike got the better touring musicians (who also toured far more with the material than Al's people).
b) As far as I know Matt Jardine wasn't up to the task vocally, plus they needed Foskett to include Brian and thus would have had two CEOs of Falsetto on board.
c) As of yet they played only a handful of gigs - who knows what tunes they will add later on the tour? Plus, Al's got WIBN, HMR, CF etc. so far - I think he's okay with that.

This is a totally ridiculous comment about the touring bands. Ed Carter, Bobby Figueroa and Billy Hinsche toured more with the Beach Boys than any of these guys on the tour now have with the exception of Foskett. They have also played with the original Beach Boys Carl and Dennis included. I really hate when people praise Love's band and Brian's band as the best. Yes they are great, but I would not say better. And Matt Jardine has a better falsetto than most. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, doesn't always mean it speaks for everyone else's preference.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2012, 11:45:54 AM »

It wasn't a two-bit news piece, though, it was a ten minute segment on a national news show, which is way more time than some people would think they deserve.  I thought it was very classy and thoughtful, probably one of the best short bio/interview pieces on the Beach Boys. 

I agree. It was very good. I wonder though if this is just a first, short version of something larger being done later.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2012, 12:18:36 PM »

/quote]

Recently, a story of the wonderful late Mike Wallace ran on the 60 Minutes tribute to his life's work.  Mike had a problem with depression.  Mike chose to use the vehicle of his celebrity status to raise awareness to this issue, how common it is, and how he dealt with it. 

That, is a personal choice.  Mike Wallace was a reporter-jounalist, whose focus was on reporting issues that were newsworthy.  I view this as different and how I distinguish it.  Brian is a musician.  His work is as a composer.  Jouralism is not his profession.  And he chose not to respond.  The press often feel entiitled to know the minutiae of everyone's life.  They often have no boundaries.   And prod into sensitive areas that the interviewee does not wish to venture.  Brian is not on the stand in court.  He was forcefully appropriate in his response.  JMHO

Excellent post as usual, Filldeplage. I agree 100%

- B00ts
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2012, 12:48:42 PM »

I think one possible issue about the old BBs touring band not being used, besides age and possibly some folks not being up for the rigors of touring, is that the older guys are going off the simpler, more rock-oriented Beach Boys live arrangements from the '70s and '80s whereas the younger cats in Brian's and Mike's bands are more in back-to-the-drawing board, learn it from the original record mode.  It might have been difficult to reconcile the two.  With the older guys, they're used to playing these arrangements a certain way for years and years.  Whereas people like Scott Totten and Darian Sahanaja are esssentially coming from a similar mindset, which is more detail-oriented and faithful to the original recordings.

I don't have any insider knowledge of this at all, I'm speaking purely from a musical perspective.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2012, 01:52:10 PM »

That makes a lot of sense, Adam.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2012, 02:26:37 PM »

I was little surprised by Brian's refusal to expand on his quote about "fear driving him for most of his life."  

Perhaps the fear he might have on this current reunion tour made this subject a little too close to home to talk about...?

I didn't like the question to begin with and I'm not surprised that Brian shut him down.  It's just not the kind of question you ask someone in a professional interview setting in my opinion.  Talk about the tour, the record, the reunion.  Don't try to play lay psychiatrist and analyze Brian Wilson on national television.

Ditto times 1,000.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2012, 03:41:56 PM »

For me, Brian starting up his tour in 1998, ought to be the story of the century.  Aside from the fact that he is a Music Genius Rock God, I find his life story to be VERY inspirational!

Cool

I was at the show at the Wiltern in LA, and I know what I am talking about.  You could sense that the entire audience was uplifted by that man and his music!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
MBE
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2012, 04:31:41 PM »

Mike should fess up that he smoked pot and not make it like The Wilson's drug problems really hurt the band for decades when maybe it was ten or eleven years. .

But the effect lasted a long long time
Maybe so but directly I would think only Brian's actions of 1972-82 and Dennis' from 1977-83 plus Carl's from 1977-78 hurt the band as a functioning unit. After 1983 there were different things (albiet some an after effect) that drove them apart.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx