gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680822 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:31:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys on CBS Sunday Morning 4/29/12  (Read 24711 times)
SG7
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2012, 11:41:34 AM »

Mike: The Grammy went to Monday, Monday
Brian: OH MY GOD, REALLY?

I guess they'd rather (mis)remember that the Grammy went to a quality song instead of "Winchester Cathedral," a novelty number.

Ha! I thought he messed that up. Glad it wasn't just me!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2012, 12:14:04 PM »

Thank you so much for posting !
Fantastic footage from the rehearsals of the Grammies and backstage at the Dodger's stadium

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2012, 12:21:36 PM »

Excellent.

Is all.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2012, 12:50:17 PM »

I guess they'd rather (mis)remember that the Grammy went to a quality song instead of "Winchester Cathedral," a novelty number.

To be fair, Mike wasn't far off at all - "Monday, Monday" did indeed win a Grammy the same year that "Good Vibrations" lost to "Winchester Cathedral."  They were just nominated in different categories, "Monday, Monday" for Pop Performance With Vocal vs. "Good Vibrations" and "Winchester Cathedral" for Contemporary Rock n' Roll Recording. 
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2012, 01:02:28 PM »

To be fair, Mike wasn't far off at all - "Monday, Monday" did indeed win a Grammy the same year that "Good Vibrations" lost to "Winchester Cathedral."  They were just nominated in different categories, "Monday, Monday" for Pop Performance With Vocal vs. "Good Vibrations" and "Winchester Cathedral" for Contemporary Rock n' Roll Recording. 

I was under the impression that "Winchester Cathedral" was one of those widely-cited examples of how out-of-touch Grammy voters were in the 60s, so it's surprising Mike didn't know that.  That's when most of the academy voters were of the generation to remember Rudy Vallee and loved a song like "Winchester Cathedral" for reminding them of "their" kind of music.  I'm not sure how that song even remotely qualifies as a "contemporary rock'n'roll recording."

Nice piece by CBS, whoever put that together knew the Beach Boys well.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2012, 01:04:47 PM »

The best thing Mike said, was basically you can dwell on the past or live in the present.  I totally agree with him, make the most of your life now, and not dwell on slights of the past.

Mike is such a badass.  Gotta love Brian too here, priceless, "I'd rather not talk about that subject".  That is the new definition of being shut down.

Oh yeah, "Rubber Soul" is the best Beatles album, I have no idea how "Revolver" ranked above it in that "best album" of all time poll from a few years back.

Quick question: Has there been a lot of young faces at the recent shows?  Just asking?

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2012, 01:07:52 PM »

I was under the impression that "Winchester Cathedral" was one of those widely-cited examples of how out-of-touch Grammy voters were in the 60s, so it's surprising Mike didn't know that.  That's when most of the academy voters were of the generation to remember Rudy Vallee and loved a song like "Winchester Cathedral" for reminding them of "their" kind of music.  I'm not sure how that song even remotely qualifies as a "contemporary rock'n'roll recording."

That might be true - The nostalgia factor was big, but I always had a suspicion that the Grammy went to "Winchester" not so much for the song itself but because the various effects put on the vocals and other sections were considered "high tech" at the time and became sort of a novelty/tech-y hook on a pedestrian song. Plus it was a safer recording - Good Vibrations, wasn't it even at that time considered a psychedelic drug kind of record, i.e. not as "safe"?

They did give Sgt. Pepper some Grammys the next year, though, so it's interesting to see 66 develop into 67 and some of the changes take place.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2012, 01:09:52 PM »

That might be true - The nostalgia factor was big, but I always had a suspicion that the Grammy went to "Winchester" not so much for the song itself but because the various effects put on the vocals and other sections were considered "high tech" at the time and became sort of a novelty/tech-y hook on a pedestrian song. Plus it was a safer recording - Good Vibrations, wasn't it even at that time considered a psychedelic drug kind of record, i.e. not as "safe"?

They did give Sgt. Pepper some Grammys the next year, though, so it's interesting to see 66 develop into 67 and some of the changes take place.

Remember "Release Me" kept SFF/Penny Lane out of the pole position in the UK around this time.  Also if you ever watch "American Bandstand" where they debuted the promo clips for the aforementioned Beatles tracks, the reactions of the kids on the show are priceless.

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2012, 01:11:14 PM »

Winchester Cathedral won in 1967 for "Best Contemporary Rock and Roll Recording".  Monday Monday was named "Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group".  In both cases, BB's got the shaft (but fortunately the gold mine that went along with it).
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2012, 01:12:10 PM »

Quick question: Has there been a lot of young faces at the recent shows?  Just asking?

I've seen some in the videos from Jazz Fest. I guess those festivals will have a lot young people in the audience. As for the shows in halls, I don't know

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2012, 01:14:09 PM »

I've seen some in the videos from Jazz Fest. I guess those festivals will have a lot young people in the audience. As for the shows in halls, I don't know

I know Zoey Deutch from the CW television show "Ringer" went to the JazzFest show because she tweeted about The Beach Boys on her account.  So I was just wondering.  Thanks for the response.

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2012, 01:14:28 PM »

I was little surprised by Brian's refusal to expand on his quote about "fear driving him for most of his life."  

Perhaps the fear he might have on this current reunion tour made this subject a little too close to home to talk about...?
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2012, 01:21:04 PM »

I was little surprised by Brian's refusal to expand on his quote about "fear driving him for most of his life."  

Perhaps the fear he might have on this current reunion tour made this subject a little too close to home to talk about...?

I didn't like the question to begin with and I'm not surprised that Brian shut him down.  It's just not the kind of question you ask someone in a professional interview setting in my opinion.  Talk about the tour, the record, the reunion.  Don't try to play lay psychiatrist and analyze Brian Wilson on national television.

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2012, 01:23:49 PM »

I'm tired of interviewers talking about Brian's past personal problems.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2012, 01:26:11 PM »

I didn't like the question to begin with and I'm not surprised that Brian shut him down.  It's just not the kind of question you ask someone in a professional interview setting in my opinion.  Talk about the tour, the record, the reunion.  Don't try to play lay psychiatrist and analyze Brian Wilson on national television.

Yeah I get that...I'm not saying that I wanted him to answer it I was just a little surprised that Brian shot the reporter down--kinda proud of him for doing it!  I've never seen him do that  LOL

Well, it's typical with US television, they always want some kind of emotional pique for an interview; something to pull on the heart strings.  They didn't get it here; but Brian's "shot down" will have to do, apparently.  But it should also be noted that other people on the outisde, like this reporter, are less protective of Brian as we are.  He simply didn't know the weight of this question like how we do.  He thought it'd be a short answer that could sum up the quote but he didn't know that it was a complicated question that involved problems that Brian still tortures him today.  
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2012, 01:29:05 PM »

Yeah I get that...I'm not saying that I wanted him to answer it I was just a little surprised that Brian shot the reporter down--kinda proud of him for doing it!  I've never seen him do that  LOL

Well, it's typical with US television, they always want some kind of emotional pique for an interview; something to pull on the heart strings.  They didn't get it here; but Brian's "shot down" will have to do, apparently.  But it should also be noted that other people on the outisde, like this reporter, are less protective of Brian as we are.  He simply didn't know the weight of this question like how we do.  He thought it'd be a short answer that could sum up the quote but he didn't know that it was a complicated question that involved problems that Brian still tortures him today.  

D. Sawyer: how much do you pay Dr. Landy?
B. Wilson: I wish not to tell you that

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2012, 01:31:07 PM »

I know Zoey Deutch from the CW television show "Ringer" went to the JazzFest show because she tweeted about The Beach Boys on her account.  So I was just wondering.  Thanks for the response.

Jazz Fest was about 33% under 30, 33% between 31 and 50, and 33% over 50

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2012, 01:32:27 PM »

But it should also be noted that other people on the outisde, like this reporter, are less protective of Brian as we are.  He simply didn't know the weight of this question like how we do.  He thought it'd be a short answer that could sum up the quote but he didn't know that it was a complicated question that involved problems that Brian still tortures him today.  

Well they just don't care that's the bottom line.  They want to get their story like you said and I totally understand that.  There should however be some professionalism though exhibited when interviewing someone like Brian Wilson which would involve actually doing some research on past interviews involving the subject.  If this was done people preparing to interview Brian would find that he is usually more engaging when you discuss topics that he gets genuinely excited about for instance his musical influences or favorite records.  He doesn't like talking about what went down in his life post-SMiLE or anything of that nature.  Reporters interviewing Brian should be aware of this and show him the courtesy he deserves by not asking these questions.  I mean you don't have to be a rocket scientist to ascertain that it's probably enough of an effort on Brian's part to even be interviewed in the first place.  Why make it more uncomfortable for him?

Plus by sticking to topics that Brian is comfortable with you'll will more than likely get a better interview out of him instead of trying to pull skeletons out of the closet which as past history shows rarely if ever yields a positive result with Brian.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 01:34:11 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2012, 01:33:42 PM »

Ah that's right, Lenny.  This one from the CBS interview was a bit more prickly to me, as it was clear that it was a very touchy subject for Brian.  But as mentioned, this wasn't the time nor the place for all that drama to be talked about.  
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2012, 01:35:39 PM »

Brian has been asked about his father and drug use so many times, it's tiresome to watch it being asked, and somewhat uncomfortable.  I'm more interested in questions as to how they went about writing the new album, when will they ever retire, etc.?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2012, 01:41:14 PM »

I think Brian just didn't know that quote and instea of going with acting like it was his' he just said he wouldn't wanna talk about it

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2012, 01:45:29 PM »

Reporters will do what reporters do. The bigger story is the fact that they are all back together, and while the personal questions were out of place considering the big picture is sitting right in front of them, too often they go for the sensational questions that make the interview "juicy", whatever that means.

I think there is also a disconnect between the fans who are active on boards like this and who know and follow the history of the band, and those fans whose impression of The Beach Boys for several decades was the music Mike was performing live and the music which Brian was performing - there were two separate "Beach Boys" in many people's minds for a long time, and part of that was the past emotional and personal issues that were made public.

That disconnect was driven home even more when you see comments on various BB's concert videos from the past where Bruce is mistaken for Brian on stage.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2012, 01:56:14 PM »

Saw this this morning on TV. Somebody did their homework on the story and got it right.  Covered a lot of bases and I thought it was very well done.

It was really good. Only sore thumb was them saying Smile was an answer to Sgt. Peppers.
and that Mike's opinion of SMiLE was stated  by Rock Journalists rather than the 2 creators.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2012, 02:32:39 PM »

He ain't dominant in the sense that he's oppressing the other guys. He's simply the spokesman of the band (in a sense he's always been), he's good at this kind of stuff. I'm sure it's something the guys agreed upon for the reunion press coverage, and this interview in particular, and it's the right decision.

Shame though that we didn't see a sentence out of Dave, really. There's a snippet where he's clearly answering a question, just with some BBs song audible instead of his voice. Guess they took all of that out to focus on Mike & Brian.

Indeed. I wasn`t criticizing Mike. It`s just so blatant here that he and Brian are the band leaders. I do wonder how Al feels about everything. First the decision was made that the backing band would be made up of none of his musicians and his son was also not included, then his songs were apparently omitted from the new CD and also songs that he was hoping to perform in concert like California Saga and Looking at Tomorrow have been left out.
Yes, this sucks. I really wish Matt Jardine were included, but then again no family members/sons are being included. Matt Jardine and Christian Love in particular could have added a lot to the blend.

This was a good piece because it had a new interview with the reunited Beach Boys. They do seem to get along pretty well nowadays. It looks as though David's attitude helps things, as he is a tension-breaker. People like that can be very important in a band with strong personalities (Mike, Al, Brian).

As for the reporter, he is a jerk-off, like most of his ilk. "But this band who was known for harmony had some very unharmonious times" or whatever. He must have thought he was so clever, saying something that has probably been said in every two-bit news piece about the Beach Boys. I love the fact that Brian refused to play patient-therapist on national televison - his refusal to focus on his mental problems is refreshing, and I would love it if he did this to every interviewer who seeks to exploit Brian's personal life for the sake of a good hook.

- B00ts
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2012, 03:22:10 PM »

a) Brian & Mike got the better touring musicians (who also toured far more with the material than Al's people).

I think Ed, Billy and Bobby have toured that stuff a bit!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx