gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:46:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs you are obsessing over.  (Read 198481 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: December 19, 2017, 07:58:27 PM »

Bruce Springsteen - Thunder Road

So there’s a live version from ‘Bruce Springsteen And The E Street Band Live 75-85’ album that blows my mind. In fact, I didn’t really understand the song until I heard this live version. One of the most powerful live tracks I’ve ever heard...and it’s just him, a piano, and some celestas playing.

Edit: his Nebraska album is something I obsess over a lot from time to time too
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 07:59:26 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: December 20, 2017, 02:30:23 AM »

I could imagine Nebraska would be a great album to play on a long drive across open country in the US.

I've never taken to Bruce S but that album is a beauty.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: December 20, 2017, 04:31:54 AM »

I could imagine Nebraska would be a great album to play on a long drive across open country in the US.

I've never taken to Bruce S but that album is a beauty.

Yeah! Some of ‘Open All Night’ seems to draw straight from the car lyrics of The Beach Boys.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: December 21, 2017, 06:18:24 AM »

Don't know if it's popular opinion or not - I really can't stand Bruce Springsteen. The voice "Top 10 worst singers" contender. Which doesn't make me appreciate his music thru & thru.
Then, what special did he do to gain the "Boss" title? Roll Eyes

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #604 on: December 21, 2017, 09:52:02 AM »

So there’s a live version from ‘Bruce Springsteen And The E Street Band Live 75-85’ album that blows my mind. In fact, I didn’t really understand the song until I heard this live version. One of the most powerful live tracks I’ve ever heard...and it’s just him, a piano, and some celestas playing.

I've never really been a big fan of the live arrangement of Thunder Road.  I love the way the E Street Band sounds on the studio track with the constant build. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: December 21, 2017, 09:52:33 AM »

Don't know if it's popular opinion or not - I really can't stand Bruce Springsteen. The voice "Top 10 worst singers" contender. Which doesn't make me appreciate his music thru & thru.

According to Wikipedia: Springsteen acquired the nickname "The Boss" during this period; when he played club gigs with a band he took on the task of collecting the band's nightly pay and distributing it amongst his bandmates

My explanation as to why he’s one of the best American musicians: I used to live in Michigan, a state that has turned very poor over the last couple decades. But it used to be a mecca of industrialized America: car plants, factories, etc. It was the poster child for blue collar America - tough American working men (and women) heading to the bar after a day in the factory, putting music on the jukebox, watching Monday night football on a crappy 24” television with strangers-turned-friends, cigarette smoke, neon lights flashing. His music captured this time and place in America.

He wrote his songs about the dark sides of America, the bright sides, falling in love in a bar, raising kids, being nostalgic about the days when you were true to your school. Nearly everyone in lower-middle class industrialized America could relate to the lyrics and hard edged vibe of his songs. His voice isn’t the best, but it has character, a roughness that a lot of people can relate to.

In short: Bruce Springsteen did for America in the 80s what The Beach Boys did to California in the 60s.

KDS
« Reply #606 on: December 21, 2017, 09:54:09 AM »

Bruce can be a pretty polarizing artist.  I love a lot of what he did from 1973-84, but I think his output has been pretty patchy since.  
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: December 21, 2017, 09:55:00 AM »

I've never really been a big fan of the live arrangement of Thunder Road.  I love the way the E Street Band sounds on the studio track with the constant build. 

The studio version is too fast for my taste, and I feel like the lyrics are better suited with a minimal arrangement, but that’s just my taste.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: December 21, 2017, 09:57:10 AM »

Bruce can be a pretty polarizing artist.  I love a lot of what he did from 1973-84, but I think his output has been pretty patchy since.  

Agreed. What did you think of his ‘Magic’ album? I personally think it’s one of his best collection of songs. His other modern albums just don’t do it for me though.

KDS
« Reply #609 on: December 21, 2017, 09:58:18 AM »

The studio version is too fast for my taste, and I feel like the lyrics are better suited with a minimal arrangement, but that’s just my taste.

Fair enough.  I think the studio version is pure perfection.   But, it seems you're a bigger fan of the Nebraska album than me.   I have to be in a certain mood for that one, but I can always listen to Born to Run or Darkness on the Edge of Town.  
KDS
« Reply #610 on: December 21, 2017, 10:00:11 AM »

Agreed. What did you think of his ‘Magic’ album? I personally think it’s one of his best collection of songs. His other modern albums just don’t do it for me though.

I've only heard bits of pieces.   Not too bad.  The most recent album of his that I own is The Rising, which was supposed to be a return to form album with the E Street Band.  There are some nice moments on that album, and I like the theme, but it doesn't have that magic feel of his earlier stuff IMO. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: December 21, 2017, 10:05:38 AM »

Fair enough.  I think the studio version is pure perfection.   But, it seems you're a bigger fan of the Nebraska album than me.   I have to be in a certain mood for that one, but I can always listen to Born to Run or Darkness on the Edge of Town.  

I’ll have to give the studio version another chance.

And from Magic, check out Girls In Their Summer Clothes. One of my favorites from him.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: December 21, 2017, 10:14:44 AM »

I haven't listened to Bruce Springsteen much the last 5 years, but I remember "Livin' In The Future" being a favorite off Magic.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #613 on: December 21, 2017, 10:17:59 AM »

After Bruce dismissed the E Street Band, for the dual album release whatever year in the 90's that was, his recorded output and new music in general dropped considerably in my opinion. He made a comeback of sorts to the live stage with the E Street Band, but look where it is now.

I don't know if - musically - he ever came close to where he was at, say, the point in time just before Tunnel Of Love. Maybe there are still some sparks of greatness at his concerts.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
KDS
« Reply #614 on: December 21, 2017, 10:24:59 AM »

I’ll have to give the studio version another chance.

And from Magic, check out Girls In Their Summer Clothes. One of my favorites from him.

I'd never heard that one before, but on first listen, it didn't do a lot for me to be honest. 
KDS
« Reply #615 on: December 21, 2017, 10:27:03 AM »

After Bruce dismissed the E Street Band, for the dual album release whatever year in the 90's that was, his recorded output and new music in general dropped considerably in my opinion. He made a comeback of sorts to the live stage with the E Street Band, but look where it is now.

I don't know if - musically - he ever came close to where he was at, say, the point in time just before Tunnel Of Love. Maybe there are still some sparks of greatness at his concerts.

Apparently, his recent The River Tour was amazing.  I've never seen Bruce in concert, but since he was highlighting material from his classic era that's probably the tour I should've seen. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #616 on: December 21, 2017, 10:35:39 AM »

Apparently, his recent The River Tour was amazing.  I've never seen Bruce in concert, but since he was highlighting material from his classic era that's probably the tour I should've seen. 

I did want to see him when he first announced he would be playing shows again with the E Street Band, I think that was in the late 90's but can't remember.

But I couldn't afford the tickets.

Which brings me to another issue - Just a few weeks ago there were people talking about the newest round of shows announced, and people were saying the ticket prices were off the charts for the majority of fans. I guess the issue is here is an artist who basically made a career out of projecting the blue-collar, working man ethos and image, and he's charging thousands for his concerts. The people who related to him and his music in the 70's and 80's, and I knew personally a lot who did just that, simply don't have the money to see him perform.

What also turned me off was when there was a news report of him circling one of the venues he was set to play with various law enforcement officials trying to "bust" scalpers selling tickets outside the arena. I mean...that's just silly all things considered. So it's ok for the ticket brokers to charge absurd sums of money, but Bruce made it a point to bust people who may be selling extra tickets in a parking lot? If anything, perhaps some of those "scalpers" were the same type of hard-luck people he was championing in his lyrics. In that situation, I thought that did actually affect my enjoyment of the music.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
KDS
« Reply #617 on: December 21, 2017, 10:50:59 AM »

I did want to see him when he first announced he would be playing shows again with the E Street Band, I think that was in the late 90's but can't remember.

But I couldn't afford the tickets.

Which brings me to another issue - Just a few weeks ago there were people talking about the newest round of shows announced, and people were saying the ticket prices were off the charts for the majority of fans. I guess the issue is here is an artist who basically made a career out of projecting the blue-collar, working man ethos and image, and he's charging thousands for his concerts. The people who related to him and his music in the 70's and 80's, and I knew personally a lot who did just that, simply don't have the money to see him perform.

What also turned me off was when there was a news report of him circling one of the venues he was set to play with various law enforcement officials trying to "bust" scalpers selling tickets outside the arena. I mean...that's just silly all things considered. So it's ok for the ticket brokers to charge absurd sums of money, but Bruce made it a point to bust people who may be selling extra tickets in a parking lot? If anything, perhaps some of those "scalpers" were the same type of hard-luck people he was championing in his lyrics. In that situation, I thought that did actually affect my enjoyment of the music.

Bruce stopped being the voice of the "working man" ages ago if you ask me. 

Although, maybe cynically, I've always though that rich musicians writing songs about the struggles of working class or lower class people rang a little hollow.   But, then again, the other half of my brain tells me that it's just art, which doesn't necessarily reflect the thoughts of the artist. 
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: January 04, 2018, 01:35:30 AM »

here, have some tears.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: January 26, 2018, 05:24:12 AM »

Paul McCartney "Jet" (best Beatles solo song! 3D)
hal's psychedelic track "All Hail Imhotep" sent via sendspace
Sylvie Vartan "San Francisco" (the best french singer! 3D)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 05:31:09 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: January 26, 2018, 06:29:57 AM »

California Saga: California
Bruce Springsteen: You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch) (Both original and rockabilly versions)
Elvis Presley: I Beg of You (alternate version)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: January 26, 2018, 06:41:07 AM »

Bruce Springsteen: You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)
Reeks of lyric plagiarism. "Poison Ivy", anybody?

petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: January 26, 2018, 07:36:05 AM »

I've been a fan of Marshall Crenshaw for years, but lately I have been playing "One More Reason" from the album Field Day quite a bit.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 26, 2018, 10:09:35 AM »

I have been obsessively listening to the new album "Ruins" by First Aid Kit. Their song "Fireworks" is my "Be My Baby" at the moment. But the whole album is so darn good.
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: January 27, 2018, 05:01:48 AM »

Talent Is An Asset by Sparks
This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both of Us by Sparks
Norton by Mike McGear
My World Fell Down (long version) by Sagittarius
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: