gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:21:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs you are obsessing over.  (Read 198530 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: August 06, 2017, 05:18:40 AM »

Welcome, JL. Didn't hear the 2 songs you say.

Larry recently posted the famous band's (yet I didn't get chance to check them) song: https://ironleg.wordpress.com/2017/07/30/genesis-where-the-sour-turns-to-sweet/

3/5

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 06, 2017, 10:49:56 AM »

Welcome, JL. Didn't hear the 2 songs you say.

Larry recently posted the famous band's (yet I didn't get chance to check them) song: https://ironleg.wordpress.com/2017/07/30/genesis-where-the-sour-turns-to-sweet/

3/5

Interesting.

And yeah, I love David Ruffin's solo work. He was great with the Temptations, but his first 3 or 4 solo albums are mostly excellent. 'David', the album from which I got those songs, was released in 2004 after being in the vault for decades. Check it out: every song is a masterpiece, and it's one of the greatest albums I've ever heard (and I don't say things like that lightly).

Song I'm obsessing over today:

Queen: I'm Going Slightly Mad - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od6hY_50Dh0

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 06, 2017, 10:56:11 AM »

And yeah, I love David Ruffin's solo work. He was great with the Temptations, but his first 3 or 4 solo albums are mostly excellent. 'David', the album from which I got those songs, was released in 2004 after being in the vault for decades. Check it out: every song is a masterpiece, and it's one of the greatest albums I've ever heard (and I don't say things like that lightly).

Agree on both counts. Ruffin's My Whole World Ended is fabulous, too. I just love that album.

And the latter, while a lot of later Queen doesn't really stand out for me, that particular tune returns to my head all the time. I'm not a huge fan of the production--it was of the time, and the synth sounds and atmosphere of it aren't really my thing--but the song is just so good. The melody of the refrain is great, not really something you'd expect from a rock band, it reminds me more of a musical showtune (not that this is a rarity for Freddie's songs). Plus it's just funny. Freddie was so funny.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #553 on: August 06, 2017, 11:22:29 AM »

Agree on both counts. Ruffin's My Whole World Ended is fabulous, too. I just love that album.

And the latter, while a lot of later Queen doesn't really stand out for me, that particular tune returns to my head all the time. I'm not a huge fan of the production--it was of the time, and the synth sounds and atmosphere of it aren't really my thing--but the song is just so good. The melody of the refrain is great, not really something you'd expect from a rock band, it reminds me more of a musical showtune (not that this is a rarity for Freddie's songs). Plus it's just funny. Freddie was so funny.

I think the music video gave me a greater appreciation for the song, especially knowing that Freddie was not well, and the video shoot was quite taxing on him.   Through all the pain and the knowledge that he was dying, he retained his humor.

That makes The Show Must Go On (closing track from the same Innuendo album) one of the most powerful in their entire catalog. 
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 06, 2017, 01:07:05 PM »

I think the music video gave me a greater appreciation for the song, especially knowing that Freddie was not well, and the video shoot was quite taxing on him.   Through all the pain and the knowledge that he was dying, he retained his humor.

That makes The Show Must Go On (closing track from the same Innuendo album) one of the most powerful in their entire catalog. 

the captain - I agree, My Whole World Ended is great too. Both that and 'David' are my favorite two albums of his. I also enjoy 'David Ruffin' from 1973 and 'Gentleman Ruffin' from 1980 (they sure loved putting his name in album titles). Yeah, the heavy synth production stuff I've never been a big fan of (with a few exceptions of course). I go back and fourth on Queen because they are technically one of my favorite bands, but I don't care for a surprising amount of their songs. I don't like their really early stuff too much, nor their 'mid-period' sound from 1980-1984 save for a few songs; but I absolutely love their late 70's and late 80's/early 90's work the most. I think it's unfortunate how a lot of their best work went basically ignored in the US, when it was very popular in a lot of other countries (reminds me of another band that we all know and love...)

KDS - Yes, I was going to mention that Freddie wrote the song because of how he was feeling. Allegedly he was suffering from dementia caused by AIDS, and thus he was going 'slightly mad'. The video and lyrics reflect this. So it is entertaining (he probably thought it was and his bandmates too from what I could glean from some behind the scenes footage), but tragic at the same time. Which could be said for the entire album 'Innuendo', that one has entranced me since I first heard it when I was 14. It's my favorite Queen album. I love 'The Show Must Go On' too, and 'These Are the Days Of Our Lives'. Not to mention the title track...dang, I'm gonna have to listen to it again. :D

Um which song am I obsessing over now? I'll go with a classic Tongue

"The Beach Boys - I'm Waiting for the Day"
KDS
« Reply #555 on: August 06, 2017, 01:21:17 PM »

the captain - I agree, My Whole World Ended is great too. Both that and 'David' are my favorite two albums of his. I also enjoy 'David Ruffin' from 1973 and 'Gentleman Ruffin' from 1980 (they sure loved putting his name in album titles). Yeah, the heavy synth production stuff I've never been a big fan of (with a few exceptions of course). I go back and fourth on Queen because they are technically one of my favorite bands, but I don't care for a surprising amount of their songs. I don't like their really early stuff too much, nor their 'mid-period' sound from 1980-1984 save for a few songs; but I absolutely love their late 70's and late 80's/early 90's work the most. I think it's unfortunate how a lot of their best work went basically ignored in the US, when it was very popular in a lot of other countries (reminds me of another band that we all know and love...)

KDS - Yes, I was going to mention that Freddie wrote the song because of how he was feeling. Allegedly he was suffering from dementia caused by AIDS, and thus he was going 'slightly mad'. The video and lyrics reflect this. So it is entertaining (he probably thought it was and his bandmates too from what I could glean from some behind the scenes footage), but tragic at the same time. Which could be said for the entire album 'Innuendo', that one has entranced me since I first heard it when I was 14. It's my favorite Queen album. I love 'The Show Must Go On' too, and 'These Are the Days Of Our Lives'. Not to mention the title track...dang, I'm gonna have to listen to it again. :D

Um which song am I obsessing over now? I'll go with a classic Tongue

"The Beach Boys - I'm Waiting for the Day"

Innuendo is probably my favorite post 70s Queen album (the first 5 are my favorites).  The title track is one of the most overlooked songs in their catalog, partly because the album had so many strong songs. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 06, 2017, 01:32:41 PM »

I agree on several fronts with you both (but won't bore you with point-by-point explanations!).

Regarding favorite post-70s albums, KDS, I almost can agree there. But I go back and forth between Innuendo and The Game, which (despite being the intro to synths and the dance music I know you don't like at all) had some amazing things on it. I absolutely love the title track, "Save Me," and "Need Your Loving Tonight" as much as I like the two big singles. But Innuendo, that is truly a really good album, especially considering the shape Freddie was in (as you mentioned). Whatever there is I don't like about it, it's still got more than enough to offer fans of almost any period of the group, even if it was all through the production of the day. But hard rock, silliness, epic near-prog, showtunes, ... Queen really delivered.

(All that said, I love A Kind of Magic, too. Maybe now and again that would be my pick...)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

KDS
« Reply #557 on: August 06, 2017, 01:38:07 PM »

I agree on several fronts with you both (but won't bore you with point-by-point explanations!).

Regarding favorite post-70s albums, KDS, I almost can agree there. But I go back and forth between Innuendo and The Game, which (despite being the intro to synths and the dance music I know you don't like at all) had some amazing things on it. I absolutely love the title track, "Save Me," and "Need Your Loving Tonight" as much as I like the two big singles. But Innuendo, that is truly a really good album, especially considering the shape Freddie was in (as you mentioned). Whatever there is I don't like about it, it's still got more than enough to offer fans of almost any period of the group, even if it was all through the production of the day. But hard rock, silliness, epic near-prog, showtunes, ... Queen really delivered.

(All that said, I love A Kind of Magic, too. Maybe now and again that would be my pick...)

I think Queen has a lot I like on all their albums.

The Game is strong.  Save Me is amazing.

Flash Gordon and Hot Space even hsve their moments.

I think The Works, Magic, and The Miracle are inconsisent, but each album has some classics.  Keep Passing the Open Windows in a nice album track, even though it reminds me a lot of Steppin Out by Joe Jackson.  Was It All Worth It from The Miracle would been a nice swan song if Innuendo didnt exist.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 06, 2017, 01:47:17 PM »

Was It All Worth It from The Miracle would been a nice swan song if Innuendo didnt exist.

That's a really good point. Obviously "The Show Must Go On" ends up being similarly great in its place as the actual closer (assuming you don't count Made In Heaven as a proper finale, but a posthumous collection). But yeah, "Was It All Worth It" would have been great, too. I wonder if that was intentional. Unless I'm mistaken, Freddie knew he had AIDS before The Miracle. So maybe they were thinking that way? (I hope you don't think it's crass to consider that viewpoint. But Queen were business-savvy, legacy-savvy to some degree, and absolutely had an eye for drama. I wouldn't put it past them, and that's no insult.)

Almost makes a person hope "Summer's Gone" can become "Was It All Worth It"...

JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: August 06, 2017, 01:54:39 PM »

Was It All Worth It from The Miracle would been a nice swan song if Innuendo didnt exist.

That's a really good point. Obviously "The Show Must Go On" ends up being similarly great in its place as the actual closer (assuming you don't count Made In Heaven as a proper finale, but a posthumous collection). But yeah, "Was It All Worth It" would have been great, too. I wonder if that was intentional. Unless I'm mistaken, Freddie knew he had AIDS before The Miracle. So maybe they were thinking that way? (I hope you don't think it's crass to consider that viewpoint. But Queen were business-savvy, legacy-savvy to some degree, and absolutely had an eye for drama. I wouldn't put it past them, and that's no insult.)

I actually don't think that's crass at all. In fact I too think that it's correct, it seems the entire group was using his illness for not only creative inspiration but also for, as you mentioned, legacy. Not to suggest they themselves were crass, lol, because of course they were sad over the situation. But Queen was one of the smartest rock groups I've ever seen in many respects and no doubt they (Freddie included) wanted to make the most of the rather dire situation.
KDS
« Reply #560 on: August 06, 2017, 02:00:41 PM »

Yeah, Freddie knew he was sick my then, which is why they didnt tour to promote The Miracle.

You never know.  With knowing Freddie had limited time, they could have written Was It All Worth it just in case The Miracle was their last album.

And, thats pretty much how I view Made in Heaven, more of a posthumous collection than a proper album, especially since Brian, Roger, and John had to "Queenify" some Freddie and Roger solo songs to pad out the album.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: August 26, 2017, 04:15:22 PM »

Tuned in favorite "Culture" channel, there were 3 young musician guests plus singer in some program, they discussed/ played Django Reinhardt. I dug things I heard & checking now this artist - 1st, the wiki list ("Djangology", "Daphne" etc). Don't know literally anything about guitars & techniques but this is jolly cool.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: September 06, 2017, 05:31:32 PM »

Smb. posted "We Are The World" clip in YT, they made Hall & Oates imitation among others where the blonde/ redhead danced in funny "shiver" way. Went to check the real Hall & Oates if he really dances like that. Indeed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3F4c7E9IBU

2 good things - singer's voice & the "m-e-t-h-o-d..." bit which is funny & catchy. Lifehack: can't create the lyrics to chorus? Just spell the song title. Tongue

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 12, 2017, 01:24:21 AM »

I like Paul McCartney solo best, then the rest Beatles. But, "When We Was Fab" rivals the best by Paul.

KDS
« Reply #564 on: September 12, 2017, 06:03:20 AM »

I like Paul McCartney solo best, then the rest Beatles. But, "When We Was Fab" rivals the best by Paul.

Further proof that great things happen with former Beatles work with Jeff Lynne. 

IMO, Paul's best solo album of the last 30 years is Flaming Pie, which Jeff Lynne produced.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 12, 2017, 07:20:13 AM »

This song aside, Jeff Lynne's collab with Beatles is dismissed by me. Dislike the style.

KDS
« Reply #566 on: September 12, 2017, 07:23:58 AM »

This song aside, Jeff Lynne's collab with Beatles is dismissed by me. Dislike the style.

I love his work with George, especially Cloud Nine and that first Wilburys album.  And I think he also sent George out with a really good swan song in Brainwashed.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 12, 2017, 07:32:10 AM »

I dislike these albums. But even leaving Lynne, I wouldn't be big George solo fan. "Not Guilty" good, what else? "My Sweet Lord", the other ATMP cuts, few things from Concert for Bangladesh. That may be it.

KDS
« Reply #568 on: September 12, 2017, 07:38:01 AM »

I dislike these albums. But even leaving Lynne, I wouldn't be big George solo fan. "Not Guilty" good, what else? "My Sweet Lord", the other ATMP cuts, few things from Concert for Bangladesh. That may be it.

How about Living in the Material World or his self titled album? 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 12, 2017, 12:04:18 PM »

I'm a big fan of his Cloud 9 album. The posthumously released "Brainwashed" is also quite good.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
KDS
« Reply #570 on: September 12, 2017, 12:38:52 PM »

I'm a big fan of his Cloud 9 album. The posthumously released "Brainwashed" is also quite good.

Same here.  I wish George and Jeff did more in between.   But, I think George's solo career is more quality than quantity. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: September 12, 2017, 05:12:14 PM »

S/t is the 1st George album I checked. I reckoned it might be very special he named it after himself. Wrong. At least in LITMW there's some variety but I didn't like it too. I liked the doc by Scorsese.

Since you ask these questions, does it mean George's catalog is your biggest favorite? Isn't there album(s) you didn't like?

JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: September 12, 2017, 06:47:02 PM »

S/t is the 1st George album I checked. I reckoned it might be very special he named it after himself. Wrong. At least in LITMW there's some variety but I didn't like it too. I liked the doc by Scorsese.

Since you ask these questions, does it mean George's catalog is your biggest favorite? Isn't there album(s) you didn't like?

I know this wasn't directed towards me, but I hadn't dug into George's solo work for a while, and looking back at it now that I'm older, I have to confess, I may actually see/agree with your points to a degree. I know a lot of people love George's solo career, and I do love ATMP, but I was just listening to LITMW again and I don't find it impressive. It's...'pretty good', but not nearly as inspired or tuneful as its predecessor. I listened to Dark Horse, and my reaction was that it was mediocre, but maybe it was George's hoarse vocals distracting me from the music and lyrics. I easily prefer Paul's early-mid 70's solo work/Wings work and at least John's Plastic Ono Band, Imagine, Wall and Bridges and even Double Fantasy to either LITMW or Dark Horse. I like Concert for Bangladesh, and I liked a couple of songs from Cloud 9 but never listened to the whole thing, so that's next on my list to check out. This may be in large part, because, and it pains me to say this because George is one of my idols, his solo work just isn't as appealing to me as John and Paul's and listening to it again so far (outside of ATMP) hasn't been a particularly fun time for me. I 'try' to like it, and I do enjoy a handful of his songs here and there, but a lot of it I find to be dreary and monotonous. But he did have a lot of music, so chances are I'll find some gems that I'd either forgotten about or didn't know about in the first place.
KDS
« Reply #573 on: September 12, 2017, 08:39:01 PM »

George probably has my favorite post Beatles career.  I guess if theres one Im not crazy about its Gone Troppo.

John is a close second.

I really like Wings, but I find a lot of McCartney's solo material to be very inconsistent
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: September 16, 2017, 05:54:54 PM »

I know this wasn't directed towards me
It's fine. You summed up many views about George. We agree. What can you say about Ringo? Liked hits or beyond it? Listened to the newest to date?

John is a close second.
Which is favorite song by John barring Beatles? In some magazine issue John's friends & fam each picked their favorites. Sean listed "God". I agree with this choice, imo it's the coolest musically/ vocally in John's catalog.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx