gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:53:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs you are obsessing over.  (Read 198449 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 12, 2016, 12:05:14 PM »

Street "What a strange town", from their self-titled: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTS9mlDhp_8

That female singer has very cool voice.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 12, 2016, 02:25:05 PM »

Street "What a strange town", from their self-titled: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTS9mlDhp_8

That female singer has very cool voice.

Wow. Love the alternation between her unusual voice and the spoken part----to say nothing of the "instrumental break"!

Thanks for the tip, RR. I've got their album lined up for future listening...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 12, 2016, 04:34:24 PM »

Maybe not so much obsessing over but rather revisiting.
The Beach Boys' version of California Dreamin'. Haven't heard it in years - it's a real good version of this song.
The reason for revisiting? Read an interesting thread on another music forum about the Beach Boys in Russia. Forgive me if this is old news, but didn't know that the most played Beach Boys song by far on Russian radio is California Dreamin.
Posters from Moscow said that occasionally songs like California Girls or Good Vibrations are played, but California Dreamin is one of the only BB songs on regular rotation.

Any thoughts, Mari, RR A1? Don't know where in Russia you live - situation might be different there?

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 13, 2016, 04:42:24 PM »

2john k: of 9 tracks, 2 highlights - "Strange Town" & "Boeing 707". The rest is dull imo.

2Elizabeth: Read it here: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17424.msg564660/topicseen.html#msg564660
I'd like to hear "California girls" at least once.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 13, 2016, 05:03:48 PM »

2Elizabeth: Read it here: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17424.msg564660/topicseen.html#msg564660
I'd like to hear "California girls" at least once.

California Girls gets played fairly often here. However, don't know the last time that I heard the intro - the disc jockeys insist on talking right through it.  Undecided

Curious - how did you become a Beach Boys fan?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 05:05:11 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 13, 2016, 05:47:38 PM »

Well I bought cassette "1" (the Beatles), didn't like much of it, forgot it. Then revisit 3 years later, like it, find the Russian Beatles site, read it, download songs, rarities. Watch the films. Via them discover the Rolling Stones, like them better than Beatles. Again, download songs etc. Then I get back to Beatles, was intrigued what is this "Pet Sounds" that Paul praised & said is influence to Sgt. Pepper. Download it, like it, then Sunflower, "At My Window" favorite, read the thread about Beach Boys in the Beatles site. The founder is huge BBs fan. He started side forum Beatles club. There was very interesting thread about BBs where he linked to this board, I checked it, immediately liked it & then year after decided to register. Many new things I learned about the BBs here, in Smiley Smile. This board's archives can't be beat.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 13, 2016, 06:00:35 PM »

Fascinating.

And as I post this to SS, there's a precious cat, Mr Fuzzy, who just turned 15 years old, sitting to my left.  Love

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 13, 2016, 06:06:40 PM »

Happy Birthday to Mr. Fuzzy! 3D Buy him new basket. police

What is your BBs fandom story? Didn't read 122 posts you made - maybe it's there? Then link to that thread/post. police
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 05:52:10 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 14, 2016, 08:11:43 AM »

Please don't try to go through my earlier posts, unless you want to fall asleep!

The Beach Boys were just one of the groups that I listened to growing up. Remember seeing them on TV a few times. I was probably 6, maybe 7, years old when I first heard them.
At that age period (1962-64) my favorite songs were actually "Soldier Boy", "Mr Bassman" (which I thought at the time was Mr Spaceman), "She's So Fine", and "My Boy Lollipop." That last song came out sometime in the period of Fun Fun Fun and I Get Around.

My feelings about the Beach Boys changed in 1966, at 9 years of age, upon hearing God Only Knows. Remember weeping, thinking that was the most beautiful song I ever heard.
At 10 and a half years old, Good Vibrations blew me away.
Loved Carl's wonderful voice on I Can Hear Music, which was played a lot down here.
Then they seemed to drop off the radar for a while, until Sail on, Sailor which also got a lot of AirPlay.
Would be reminded periodically about them while listening to the distant signal from WSB radio in Atlanta, which broadcast Atlanta Hawks basketball games. I listened to them because I was a fan of one of their players, Pete Maravich, who was there at that time. Whenever they played the Portland team (I think), the play by play announcer, Skip Caray, would say that Stan Love,one of the players, had a brother in the Beach Boys.

Are you sleepy yet? :-)

Anyway, moving right along, have been a fan all these years. Knowing about the conflicts in the band, I really didn't want to watch the TV movies about them. As I posted somewhere some time back, I just wanted to enjoy the music and not know "how the sausage was made," all the doo doo involved in making those incredible songs.

Seeing the movie L&M however made me decide to know more about the conflicts, to try and understand. Still trying to understand! And unfortunately my love for songs such as Surf's Up and Time to Get Alone is mixed with bittersweet feelings, knowing the conflicts involved with getting them recorded.

Enough for now.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 15, 2016, 04:26:20 AM »

You like the deep cuts, then, rather than the surf hits? Neat story.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: September 17, 2016, 07:31:46 AM »

Not so much a song as a cantata (and a film):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKZPgGbUuX0

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Scaroline No
« Reply #436 on: September 17, 2016, 11:58:59 AM »

Every song on Ezra Furman's Perpetual Motion People album. But if I had to pick a few in particular, Lousy Connection, Haunted Head, Ordinary Life, and Body was Made. But really, all the songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvfI6Q5WFT0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-0_PSsPSfw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzP2YqYaWoI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkEkjxX_YrM
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 12:17:08 PM by SCaroline Z » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 17, 2016, 03:02:33 PM »

Every song on Ezra Furman's Perpetual Motion People album.

I've got it linked for future listening. Always pleased to broaden my musical horizons. ;=)

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 17, 2016, 03:07:15 PM »

Just how many albums you lined up for future listening? There must be thousand.

Scaroline No
« Reply #439 on: September 17, 2016, 03:19:15 PM »

I've got it linked for future listening. Always pleased to broaden my musical horizons. ;=)

I did a little horizon broadening myself and listened to your cantata. Very powerful.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 18, 2016, 03:48:11 AM »

I did a little horizon broadening myself and listened to your cantata. Very powerful.

Yes, Mr P could deliver. (The conductor Valery Gergiev rates him the number one 20th-century composer.)

I suppose he's like Tchaikowsky in some ways----he could write a luminous ballet like Cinderella (which my daughter danced in many years ago) and something as grim (but ultimately uplifting) as Alexander Nevsky... 

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 18, 2016, 04:02:18 AM »

Just how many albums you lined up for future listening? There must be thousand.

Not at all! It's true I listen to many of the "lined-up" albums all the way through. Others, mainly rap ones, I dip into to check out their use of samples and others stiil are clearly not my cup of tea so I let then go after a few tracks. I should point out that I do all this listening at the very beginning and very end of almost every day... 

All I've got lined up right now is (for the second time!) the complete wondrous oeuvre of Adam Marsland (http://www.adammarsland.com/adamatoz.html). Every song  a winner. If you decide to check it out, folks, see which of the albums most takes you fancy and buy it. It's only fair!

When I need a break from Mr M, SCZ's suggestion will come in very handy. :=)     

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 18, 2016, 05:03:09 PM »

Great record, been on repeat today
http://youtu.be/Yy8V-iUG0dw

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 18, 2016, 06:16:17 PM »

2john k: You should be Mr. Marsland's manager. 3D

Check the Iron Leg blog, its user Larry Grogan posts 45s by famous/obscure bands & singers. Cool site.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 19, 2016, 02:02:34 AM »

Every song on Ezra Furman's Perpetual Motion People album. But if I had to pick a few in particular, Lousy Connection, Haunted Head, Ordinary Life, and Body was Made. But really, all the songs.

Oddly, the track that sticks out for me so far is "Tip Of A Match", which isn't among your favourites. I like his use of doo wop nonsense rhymes! What an original talent. I can understand you getting obsessed with this album...

Scaroline No
« Reply #445 on: September 19, 2016, 04:26:20 AM »

Oddly, the track that sticks out for me so far is "Tip Of A Match", which isn't among your favourites. I like his use of doo wop nonsense rhymes! What an original talent. I can understand you getting obsessed with this album...

I'm glad you liked it! Tip of A Match is a great song. They're all great. If you were to ask me this morning which songs off that album I'm obsessed with it would probably be all the bluesy ballads, because, you know... Monday, lol.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 04:28:32 AM by SCaroline Z » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 19, 2016, 04:36:55 AM »

Alligator - Paul McCartney.

It by itself is probably not the greatest song, but the production and the way McCartney sings the chorus really make me happy.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 24, 2016, 04:37:39 AM »

This next song is in French. The melody/arr./beat is good enough to disregard it, as well as bad vocals. go figure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx5-02gWlmU

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 24, 2016, 04:52:21 AM »

This next song is in French. The melody/arr./beat is good enough to disregard it, as well as bad vocals. go figure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx5-02gWlmU

So you're obsessed with its badness? Grin  It's jaunty enough, I suppose, and utterly inoffensive... 

This is the sort of stuff I had to put up with when listening to French radio stations in the early to mid '60s in the hope of hearing the latest US 45s (some of which never got played----or even released----in the UK). The French were more up to date than the Brits in that respect. 

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 24, 2016, 05:29:59 AM »

Well, some stuff I post here, it's not sth. to be obsessed with. English rules. 3D

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx