gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:40:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs you are obsessing over.  (Read 198526 times)
KDS
« Reply #300 on: October 19, 2015, 05:10:42 AM »

It's that time of year, so I've been listening to some Halloween themed stuff. 

Halloween by Helloween

DOA by Bloodrock

Vincent Price by Deep Purple

Season of the Witch - Vanilla Fudge

Steven - Alice Cooper
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 20, 2015, 10:15:30 PM »

Prince's "Baby I'm a Star"

Prince you used to be fucking amazing what happened prince

He still has his moments (and is the greatest live performer in pop music: if you get a chance to see him live, do it). But without question, the main thing he's been consistent in over the past three decades or so is the increasing inconsistency. His '80s output, though, amazing. Hell, even the first half of the '90s, while derided at the time as lacking, look pretty good in hindsight. I think a lot of the issue is the same as with anyone else whose career spans decades. It just gets stale.

I would appreciate it if you shared some of his worthy, late-career stuff; I'm really not that familiar with most of it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:23:35 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 21, 2015, 03:26:12 AM »

Prince's "Baby I'm a Star"

Prince you used to be fucking amazing what happened prince

He still has his moments (and is the greatest live performer in pop music: if you get a chance to see him live, do it). But without question, the main thing he's been consistent in over the past three decades or so is the increasing inconsistency. His '80s output, though, amazing. Hell, even the first half of the '90s, while derided at the time as lacking, look pretty good in hindsight. I think a lot of the issue is the same as with anyone else whose career spans decades. It just gets stale.

I would appreciate it if you shared some of his worthy, late-career stuff; I'm really not that familiar with most of it.

Personally, I enjoyed "Breakdown" on last year's Art Official Age which I bought digitally on its own. I also would be interested in hearing more tips on this subject. The last album of his I actually own is the symbol album (the one with "7", etc.)

Please delete my account
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 21, 2015, 05:34:10 AM »

Happy to. I'll dig it up after work.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 21, 2015, 04:10:07 PM »

Here are some of the latter-day Prince songs I think are really good. Keep in mind my particular leanings, which are melodic pop and jazz. And keep in mind the caveat that, as I've said, his '80s and early '90s work are without question the best. But the rest isn't useless, is all. A lot of this is soul or R&B bordering on easy listening. There are cheesy synth sounds, bad lyrics, too-long jams ... but there are mind-numbingly, heart-achingly good vocals, brilliant guitars, classic rawk riffs, and f***-me-now seductions, too. The fact is, the voice in particular is shown even now to be one of the best half-dozen voices in popular music.

"Dinner With Delores," Chaos and Disorder
"The Same December," Chaos and Disorder
"Had U," Chaos and Disorder
"Courtin' Time," Emancipation
"We Gets Up," Emancipation
"Soul Sanctuary," Emancipation
"Let's Have a Baby," Emancipation
"One of Us," Emancipation (Yes, the song made famous by Joan Osborne)

"The Rest of My Life," The Vault: Old Friends 4 Sale (that bass! those horns!)
"It's About That Walk," The Vault...
"Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic," Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic
"The Greatest Romance Ever Sold," Rave...
"Tangerine," Rave...
"So Far, So Pleased," feat. Gwen Stefani, Rave...
"I Love U, But I Don't Trust U Anymore," feat. Ani DiFranco, Rave...
"The Sun, the Moon and Stars," Rave...

"Rainbow Children," Rainbow Children
"The Work, Pt. I," Rainbow Children
"Everywhere," Rainbow Children
"Mellow," Rainbow Children
"She Loves Me 4 Me," Rainbow Children

"Musicology," Musicology
"Call My Name," Musicology
"Cinnamon Girl," Musicology
"What Do U Want Me 2 Do?" Musicology

"Te Amo Corazon," 3121
"Black Sweat," 3121
"Satisfied," 3121
"Get On the Boat," 3121

"Guitar," Planet Earth
"The One U Wanna C," Planet Earth
"Chelsea Rodgers," Planet Earth

"Dance 4 Me," Mplsound
"U're Gonna C Me," Mplsound
"Better With Time," Mplsound

"Compassion," 20Ten
"Sticky Like Glue," 20Ten
"Lavaux," 20Ten

"Breakdown," Art Official Age
"The Gold Standard," Art Official Age,
"Breakfast Can Wait," Art Official Age
"Whitecaps," Plectrumelectrum

"Baltimore," Baltimore (single)
"Fallinlove2nite," HITNRUN Phase One (Not Zooey Deschanel version from 2014)
"Free Urself," Free Urself (Single)

Sorry, everyone, for interrupting your "songs" thread. But hey, these are songs, right? I'm not technically obsessing over any of them at the moment, but maybe someone will.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

KDS
« Reply #305 on: October 22, 2015, 05:32:03 AM »

Nothing from the Batman album? 

LOL

All joking aside, I'm not a huge Prince fan.  But the Tim Burton Batman movie came out when I was eight going on nine.  I got a cassette of the Batman soundtrack with the Prince songs.  I used to collect soundtracks of movies I loved back then.  So, I have fond memories of riding in the backseat of my father's car, listening to my Prince Batman tape on my Walkman, on the way to the beach.  I still listen to the CD at least once a summer.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 22, 2015, 05:36:27 AM »

I was sticking to "latter-day" material, post-hits era. That, '89ish?, was still in it. 😉

KDS
« Reply #307 on: October 22, 2015, 05:45:36 AM »

I was sticking to "latter-day" material, post-hits era. That, '89ish?, was still in it. 😉

Ah gotcha. 
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 23, 2015, 05:41:51 AM »

Re: post "hits" Prince
Thanks for the list, Captain, glad you picked "Breakdown" too.

"Te Amo Corazon," 3121
"Black Sweat," 3121
"Satisfied," 3121
"Get On the Boat," 3121

I just listened to these 4 songs and they're perfectly listenable, but to me, they don't sound like singles or album-highlights. Not even the one that was the single. Not that I'm criticising Prince, he's earned the right to do what he wants for the rest of his life as far as I'm concerned.

Please delete my account
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 26, 2015, 11:21:00 AM »

Mine these days is a flawless gem from Curved Air's debut album called "Screw":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z9NjJSop5g

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: October 27, 2015, 04:49:59 AM »

Mine these days is a flawless gem from Curved Air's debut album called "Screw":

I like the instrumentation in that.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: October 27, 2015, 04:52:02 AM »

Atm for me it's this classic Kinks b-side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpwGGJYCCJ0
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 17, 2015, 08:21:42 PM »

For the nth time, it's Goddess on the Prairie performed by my favorite Canadians, band Hot Hot Heat
From drummer shouting "FLAWLEEEEESSS!!!" (because they did multiple takes & there's gotta be the end smwr. Flawless indeed) to the last words "that was the closest you could ever come" this is the best modern song I heard to this day & the best song by this group (& they've got many & many goodies). This is the only song I air play on every instrument - drum(stick)s whatnot coz it's such fun.

I like the next song on autoplay, from the same album "Future Breeds" 21 @ 12

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 22, 2015, 07:15:48 AM »

Discovered Gilbert O'Sullivan while watching the Barbie doll-stylized film about Karen Carpenter - "Alone Again (Naturally)" was playing for a short time. It was amazing. It could keep any of you positive. It was funny to read Youtube comments saying it's sad. Not in the least.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 30, 2015, 06:16:03 PM »

Percy Faith's 1952 recording of a Brazilian forro tune, "Delicado."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qDlsnSTIbY

I used to hear this constantly on the old Music Of Your Life type of radio stations, a format that held its own in the ratings from 1980 into the early '90s and specialized in music appealing to seniors - ie starting in the late 1930s and going up to the early '60s, not rock'n'roll. The primary BBs-connected song you'd hear on it would be Barry Manilow doing "I Write The Songs." But I kept forgetting the title and artist.  When Music Of Your Life died out as a format along with a lot of its audience, I thought I might never learn what it was because it was an instrumental so no lyrics could be Googled.

Then, wonder of wonders, I found a CD in a Salvation Army store. Happy Radio Days, by Michel Legrand. He made it around 1990 as a tribute to the instrumentals he loved hearing on the radio when he was a teenager. (The CD's arrangements are faithful to the originals and highly uncharacteristic of Legrand's best known work.) "Delicado" was included. 

Faith's 1952 version reached #1 on Billboard's pop chart. The harpsichordist was the late Stan Freeman, who as it happens played the same instrument on the other early '50s #1 record to use it, "Come On-A My House" by Brian's old fave Rosemary Clooney.

The original's in mono, naturally. Here's a slightly rearranged, higher-energy stereo version Faith did in '62, second track on "The Music Of Brazil":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4B3hCZvM4A
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 04, 2015, 05:45:53 PM »

Joanna Newsom's "Soft as Chalk"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM9FjL9wYxQ&ab_channel=HaveOneOnMe1

Man, what a great, great song. The it moves and evolves is just magical.
I love when she sings "...out back with the crickets..."
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 04, 2015, 09:36:45 PM »

Entertainment - Phoenix
Carrie and Lowell - Sufjan Stevens
Summer Breeze - Seals and Croft (per a mention in How I Met Your Mother)
Reality in Motion & The Less I Know the Better - Tame Impala
The Disney Afternoon - Ducktails
and any song by America...

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: December 08, 2015, 01:05:23 PM »

The Astronauts, "Firewater".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO_pOYfsJk4

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 09, 2015, 11:29:07 PM »

Percy Faith's 1952 recording of a Brazilian forro tune, "Delicado."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qDlsnSTIbY

I used to hear this constantly on the old Music Of Your Life type of radio stations, a format that held its own in the ratings from 1980 into the early '90s and specialized in music appealing to seniors - ie starting in the late 1930s and going up to the early '60s, not rock'n'roll. The primary BBs-connected song you'd hear on it would be Barry Manilow doing "I Write The Songs." But I kept forgetting the title and artist.  When Music Of Your Life died out as a format along with a lot of its audience, I thought I might never learn what it was because it was an instrumental so no lyrics could be Googled.

Then, wonder of wonders, I found a CD in a Salvation Army store. Happy Radio Days, by Michel Legrand. He made it around 1990 as a tribute to the instrumentals he loved hearing on the radio when he was a teenager. (The CD's arrangements are faithful to the originals and highly uncharacteristic of Legrand's best known work.) "Delicado" was included. 

Faith's 1952 version reached #1 on Billboard's pop chart. The harpsichordist was the late Stan Freeman, who as it happens played the same instrument on the other early '50s #1 record to use it, "Come On-A My House" by Brian's old fave Rosemary Clooney.

The original's in mono, naturally. Here's a slightly rearranged, higher-energy stereo version Faith did in '62, second track on "The Music Of Brazil":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4B3hCZvM4A
It was enjoyable read as usual. No.1 though? Didn't warrant imo.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 11, 2015, 11:48:39 AM »

late to the Mac DeMarco game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbg27oT8Z9M

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 15, 2015, 08:13:04 PM »

Hiatus Kaiyote's "Nakamarra"

All day, every day.
As one adept commenter says: "this the kinda jam you put on your bread every morning."
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 02:11:49 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 22, 2015, 01:11:27 PM »

Ya Hey - Vampire Weekend (this song, especially the end... so heavenly)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-BznQE6B8U

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 08, 2016, 10:39:19 PM »

"Move with the Season" by Temples has been my go-to lately.

Also "Do or Die" by Hungry Kids of Hungary.

KDS
« Reply #323 on: February 09, 2016, 09:14:39 AM »

I've been listening to the title track to Queen's 1991 album Innuendo a lot lately. 

It was released as a single 25 years ago last month.  And the album proved to be the final Queen album while Freddie Mercury was still alive. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 13, 2016, 07:49:02 AM »

Tom Northcott - Who Planted Torns in Miss Alice's Garden. I decided this is my favorite psych comp track.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx