gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:06:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs you are obsessing over.  (Read 198437 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 01:47:58 PM »

Son Of Schmilsson.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 01:49:35 PM »

"Juanita" by the Flying Burrito Brothers

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 02:39:15 PM »

Post when for reasons beyond mortal comprehension you keep pressing 'play' again.

It Makes No Difference - The Band's The Last Waltz version, and the My Morning Jacket cover.

This is cool -- I had no idea My Morning Jacket covered this song.

Hard to beat Rick Danko singing tho'.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 05:58:33 PM »

Awesome. I've been taking in quite a bit of Gram Parsons (solo records) myself, lately.

And as I posted at the Record Room...Uptown Girl. Billy Joel. Suck it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 06:29:42 PM »

I've been enjoying the whole thing, but that first song has really grabbed me for some reason. I haven't got anything else yet, it's been a few weeks since I've been record hunting. Any suggestions for what I should look for?

There's a lot of variety but my personal favourite is Harry and I also love Nilsson Sings Newman. After that, I really like Aerial Ballet and The Point.

You can't go wrong with any of those - The Point! and Nilsson Sings Newman are my two favourites, but essentially any album up to and including p*ssy Cats is worth it.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 06:31:04 PM »

Also, I had a bit of a moment whilst writing my final batch of essays the other day and played Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer for about four hours solid. God, I love that song.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2012, 06:34:13 PM »

I've been enjoying the whole thing, but that first song has really grabbed me for some reason. I haven't got anything else yet, it's been a few weeks since I've been record hunting. Any suggestions for what I should look for?

There's a lot of variety but my personal favourite is Harry and I also love Nilsson Sings Newman. After that, I really like Aerial Ballet and The Point.

You can't go wrong with any of those ... essentially any album up to and including p*ssy Cats is worth it.
I'd agree with this.

(My favorite, by far, is Nilsson Sings Newman. But that guy had one hell of a run.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2012, 08:58:27 PM »

I am totally obsessing on This Whole World for about the last 5 days.

I think we've all been there a time or 17

It's just so cool to be finding little gems like this since radio for the past 20 years pretends The Beach Boys didn't make any music between the release of Good Vibrations and Kokomo.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2012, 01:37:12 PM »

Currently obsessing over Pretty Ballerina by The Left Banke.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2012, 02:39:36 PM »

The entire contents of It's Alive by The Ramones.

.......TAKEITDEEDEE1234!

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2012, 04:23:44 PM »

You can't go wrong with any of those ... essentially any album up to and including p*ssy Cats is worth it.
I'd agree with this.

(My favorite, by far, is Nilsson Sings Newman. But that guy had one hell of a run.)

LIKE! to all of the Nilsson guidance here from the other guys.

Like you, AH, I started out with Shmillson - and my next follow up was Nilsson sings Newman;

Essentially a double mind-blow -

1) it's magnificent and will really get you into Harry's world.

2) gave me an appreciation for old Newman, who I hadn't paid much attention to in the past

Enjoy!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2012, 04:38:33 PM »

the beatles - you've got to hide your love away

i'm going through a beatles fanatic phase lol...last week it was the kinks and the week before that it was the rolling stones..
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2012, 06:40:03 AM »

LIKE! to all of the Nilsson guidance here from the other guys.

Like you, AH, I started out with Shmillson - and my next follow up was Nilsson sings Newman;

Essentially a double mind-blow -

1) it's magnificent and will really get you into Harry's world.

2) gave me an appreciation for old Newman, who I hadn't paid much attention to in the past

Enjoy!

I love Randy Newman's '70s stuff, so Nilsson Sings Newman is on the top of the list, but I'm excited now to find other stuff too. I'll definitely be shopping this weekend.
Paulos
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2012, 02:50:54 PM »

You Gave Your Love To Me Softly - Weezer, obscure b-side that I love to death.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2012, 03:06:40 PM »

Awesome. I've been taking in quite a bit of Gram Parsons (solo records) myself, lately.

And as I posted at the Record Room...Uptown Girl. Billy Joel. Suck it.

Luther, I actually heard "And So It Goes" for the first time a couple of summers ago.  (Don't know how I'd missed it.)
Incredible!
It threw me for a loop!  A masterpiece!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:07:33 PM by heysaboda » Logged

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2012, 05:17:54 PM »

Goin' On.

Like, this is actually an amazing song - every element except the sax solo (I hate sax solos) kicks absolute ass. Carl is amazing. Mike and Bruce (right?) deal a solid lead. The harmonies rock. God, it's great.

Why does it have to be from such a crap album? KTSA is dirt. And yet.... this. I think the new Brian and Mike originals have to match this.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2012, 07:33:48 PM »

Neil Young - Sugar Mountain Smiley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2012, 05:09:46 AM »

Glen Campbell - Galveston (imo the most beautiful song sung by him! And I heard many and many of them!)

Oh hell yeah. I love this song!

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2012, 05:47:36 AM »

Bob Dylan's 115th Dream - have been playing this constantly for the last few months.

The Cove - Jack Johnson

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2012, 08:06:10 AM »

The Tulips - Summer Song.  Just heard this in the film "The Music Never Stopped", didn't know who it was, sounded to me almost like Marianne Faithful, and I would have thought it was more modern too but for the fact that all the songs in the film were from the 60's/early 70's.   I cannot find the lyrics or chords for this song anywhere and have been trying to figure it out.  it's a fairly simple song so I think I have a reasonable take on the chords/lyrics nearly worked out. 
I love this song.  Never heard of the Tulips before.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »

This is a great song.  Neil does a great live version on the Rust Never Sleeps live tour.

Supposedly, after Joni Mitchell heard Sugar Mountain, she wrote The Circle Game.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2012, 03:15:38 PM »

This is a great song.  Neil does a great live version on the Rust Never Sleeps live tour.

Supposedly, after Joni Mitchell heard Sugar Mountain, she wrote The Circle Game.

WOW!! really? i could see it inspiring Joni to write circle game Smiley i barely got into folk rock because of my father he's into it and he's showed me so much and i love it all.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2012, 03:22:39 PM »

The Gold in the Mountain of Our Madness by The Flaming Lips
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2012, 08:31:34 AM »

The 36 songs found in the twofer of Elvis Presley's albums From Elvis in Memphis and Back in Memphis, plus some singles and unreleased songs. I know several of you are big Elvis fans, so I'm not talking to you here. You're the Peters (heyo!) and I'm the Paul in this situation: I'm reaching the gentiles. To everyone who isn't (and really, I'm only casually acquainted, myself, with hits and then some assorted things my parents happened to have), you need to know this:

Elvis Presley's From Elvis in Memphis and Back in Memphis are brilliant, brilliant albums.

I've had these for a year or two, but only occasionally would half-listen. The past couple of weeks I've spent quite a bit of time with them. Right now I am of the opinion that this music is really right up near the top of what was recorded in the late '60s. It's easy for someone of my generation to write off Elvis without paying him sufficient attention, just because he was a pop-culture figure of oddly obsessed old people, impersonators, not-dead conspiracy theorists, and of course those rhinestone-encrusted suits. If you grew up when and where I did, the classic rock you needed to know began with Rubber Soul, more or less. Maybe there was lip service paid to the Sun Records Elvis, but then you just moved on. If you had to mention Elvis again, it was to shake your head sadly at what he had become in the era of what really mattered: Led Zeppelin.

Those last few sentences were what my environment was, and what my mindset remained for a long time. But even then, I recalled some line from some documentary or whatever in which someone said (how about this memory? Don't recall who said it, where, or in what!), "the one thing that Elvis never lost was that beautiful voice." Or some such thing.

Well, he was a fucking singer. So who gives a sh*t what else he may have lost if he kept that voice?

That voice is one of the few most expressive instruments popular music has ever had, and it is on full display in these two albums. If you don't know them, find them. Listen to them.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2012, 07:34:53 AM »

Brian Wilson - London's A Lonely Town (that's one of my ear candies! Esp. I admire the song's ending with that vocalization)

That's not actually a Brian track -- it's Dave Edmunds, with (apparently), Bruce, Terry Melcher and Curt Boettcher on backing vocals. It's a cover of an old Tradewinds song, New York's A Lonely Town, with a couple of changes to the lyric.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx