gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 11:01:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs you are obsessing over.  (Read 197900 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: April 19, 2018, 04:59:27 AM »

It shows.

Edit: ah we got to new page. grabbing this questionnaire for Buckethead:

You like Sylvie? When did you hear her? Which song is favorite, French & English? I discovered Sylvie just last year & really liked. Btw, you gave Sylvie's voice apt description - self-assured indeed. & military.

Paging Buckethead! 3D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 05:03:28 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: April 19, 2018, 07:59:34 AM »

RangeRoverA1 - I first heard Sylvie in a cafe in Calais, France in 1977.  She was singing, in English, Jim Croce's Leroy Brown on a record. I loved her sound and asked the owner about her. He couldn't believe I had never heard of her. He acquainted me with Ye-Ye and played a half dozen more of her songs. I could never place her accent until I learned that she was originally from Bulgaria - I can hear a slight SE European firmness to the end of her words that is not typically French. There is no particular song of hers that I especially like, just her voice, intonation, style.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #652 on: April 19, 2018, 01:39:02 PM »

Im currently obsessing over this previously unreleased song from Paul Simon's One Trick Pony album. He took most of the ideas he was working on on this track and put them into the original OTP track 'How The Heart Approaches What It Yearns', but I definitely prefer this earlier tune. I write poetry and song-type things (I'm not very musical so they're really lyrics without music) and much of what I've been writing lately has been influenced or inspired by a number of Paul's solo songs, and this is one of those. I love the lyrics. It's called 'Spiral Highway':

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UQs5Wzy7Ous
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 07:14:45 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: April 19, 2018, 02:56:27 PM »

Im currently obsessing over this previously unreleased song from Paul Simom's One Trick Pony album. He took most of the ideas he was working on on this track and put them into the original OTP track 'How The Heart Approaches What It Yearns', but I definitely prefer this earlier tune. I write poetry and song-type things (I'm not very musical so they're really lyrics without music) and much of what I've been writing lately has been influenced or inspired by a number of Paul's solo songs, and this is one of those. I love the lyrics. It's called 'Spiral Highway':

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UQs5Wzy7Ous

Your link didn't work for me. Here's an alternative for those in the same boat: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjhBMQcKmv8

Gorgeous track! Paul has written and sung some wonderful songs. This is my all-time favourite of his, "Peace Like A River":   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAmPfEMI16g

Anything of yours we can listen to, SD?

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: April 19, 2018, 03:56:40 PM »

RangeRoverA1 - I first heard Sylvie in a cafe in Calais, France in 1977.  She was singing, in English, Jim Croce's Leroy Brown on a record. I loved her sound and asked the owner about her. He couldn't believe I had never heard of her. He acquainted me with Ye-Ye and played a half dozen more of her songs. I could never place her accent until I learned that she was originally from Bulgaria - I can hear a slight SE European firmness to the end of her words that is not typically French. There is no particular song of hers that I especially like, just her voice, intonation, style.
Then you can speak French fluently if can tell difference between real French & SE Europe accent? Would it be right to say you're French living in America?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #655 on: April 19, 2018, 07:47:18 PM »

JK - thanks for the new link. And i forgot how good 'Peace Like a River' was.

As for my own stuff, as I said I don't yet play music so they're just words...lyrics really. But the stuff I write that I like the most tend to have an implied melody in my head when I read them back. I really got to learn guitar. I can't believe I never did, but life has often gotten in the way. Still, I love writing, even if I'm not actually any good.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: April 19, 2018, 08:45:59 PM »

RangeRoverA1 -

Then you can speak French fluently if can tell difference between real French & SE Europe accent? Would it be right to say you're French living in America?

No, I'm not fluent in French. But I have an obsession with accents and try very hard to listen carefully to them.  I'm not that good at it, obviously, because I could only surmise that she sounded SE European, but no way would I have known Bulgarian from Albanian, etc. !
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: April 20, 2018, 04:31:14 PM »

Useful obsession. Smiley Then I could send you half-baked recording with me singing famous song in English for you to decide if my accent is good or bad but...I delete these things quickly. Tongue

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: April 20, 2018, 05:02:03 PM »

I don't think of accents in terms of "good" or "bad." In America, we have a lot of fun teasing one another about funny we sound to one another if we are from, say, Massachusetts vs. Alabama, or Minnesota vs. Texas. One of my grandfathers was from the same part of England as Ozzie Osborne and always amused with the way he spoke. Anyway, in my opinion, anyone who speaks a language other than their native one intelligibly is impressive! I've taught a lot of non-native English speakers over the years and know that it's rarely easy, especially when one is older. My native Spanish-speaking students find my attempts to communicate in their language pretty funny, but I do it to show that if I can try, so can they. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: April 22, 2018, 04:00:55 AM »

2Buckethead: Cool info. You teach foreigners English, right? Do you teach school pupils? University students?

& this is gift to you, check this link, it's Complimentary thread where you can tell things about favorite thread/ post(ers). The link will lead you to me giving you shout-out. Enjoy! 3D

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,14542.msg633903.html#msg633903

MugginsXOXOXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: April 22, 2018, 07:28:01 AM »

I am absolutely obsessed with Love by Kendrick Lamar, one of the most beautiful rap songs I've heard in forever. Also, Try Me by The Weeknd, maybe my favourite song that he has ever recorded. That chorus is just sublime.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: April 25, 2018, 05:26:48 PM »

Zoot Money's album Transition's tracks.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 27, 2018, 03:09:08 PM »

Ozark Mountain Daredevils "Jackie Blue" - not obsessed but isn't song to skip, main melody is nice. That said, dislike guitar in middle 8 & long ending with same whiny guitar.
Rodd Keith "Little Rug Bug" - like the picturesque backing track - I imagine singer in meadows, forest, cliffs. He either stands in the same place whilst being moved about in some board with wheels (as if skateboarded by smb. who attached the rope to it to carry the singer around) or it's big 3D slide pictures changing behind the singer singing.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: April 27, 2018, 07:27:46 PM »

Jackie Blue is the only song I remember hearing on the radio from the Ozark Mountain Daredevils.  It was a big hit.
Saw them back in the 1970s when they opened for Fleetwood Mac. They gave a great performance

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: April 29, 2018, 03:26:54 PM »

The Electric Prunes "Antique Doll" & "Wind-Up Toys". Imaginative songs musically, very psychedelic, the titles fit - talking evil dolls, toys - & cool sound fx. Some songs that laughably ended up in various Hallucinations/ Nuggets comps don't sound even distantly "psychedelic". TEP do.
The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band "Transparent Day" - not big favorite by this band, the main giutar riff is banal, I bet million other bands used it but, still nice tune.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 30, 2018, 05:37:37 PM »

The Electric Prunes "Antique Doll" & "Wind-Up Toys". Imaginative songs musically, very psychedelic, the titles fit - talking evil dolls, toys - & cool sound fx. Some songs that laughably ended up in various Hallucinations/ Nuggets comps don't sound even distantly "psychedelic". TEP do.

Oh, The Electric Prunes!  One of my favorite band names.
They had a hit record that i couldn't figure out the title. Was it "I had too much to drink last night" or "I had too much to dream last night"? A few years ago I got a car in which the radio screen would indicate the name of the song. However sometimes the title was too long to put in the screen. So when this song came on, the ID said "I had too much to dr". Arghh! I finally looked it up - it's "dream" but it still sounds like "drink" to me. Anyway, whatever the title, I love the song.

Thanks for mentioning those other songs. They are interesting and quite different from their one hit.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: May 01, 2018, 10:45:42 PM »

Well TEP is psychedelic band - "Too Much To Drink" is banal phrase. "Too Much To Dream" is cool pun, makes sense to title psychedelic song like that.

Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick & Tich "Marina" - favorite song by these chaps.
Booker T. & The M.G.'s "Booker-loo" - cool beat.

Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: May 02, 2018, 02:39:20 AM »

Currently obsessing over Greta Von Fleet. Listening to them is great, but I do not care for watching their videos. I love the Zeppelin sound just like when I first heard Whitesnake's In the Still of The Night. In their case, I did like watching their videos, but for a different reason. Halestorm put their spin on In The Still of The Night and I like that too.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: May 02, 2018, 06:33:50 PM »

Heard "Southern Cross" while driving to a job interview today, hands-down my favorite CSN song, not in small part due to the harmonies that always seemed even sweeter than their usual fare. The deejay indicated something of which I was unaware - David Crosby had not yet returned when the song was recorded for the album, so Tim B. Schmit and Art Garfunkel are actually on the record! 
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: May 02, 2018, 06:59:50 PM »

...and Tim B. on "Wasted on the Way."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: May 06, 2018, 11:52:07 PM »

This one by Yvonne Elliman. I've had it on my mind all morning (since five o'clock, in fact!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-h4ILodKdo

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: May 21, 2018, 04:37:11 AM »

The Turtles "The Walking Song" - esp. military speech-styled singing bits.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: May 21, 2018, 06:30:13 PM »

The Hobbits "Sunny Day Girl" - it channels "I'd Love Just Once To See You", BBs-inspired. Best track in the album, I'd list it in the best sunshine pop songs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdQexsqXEdo
Kaleidoscope (UK) "Dear Nellie Goodrich" - discovered the band back in 2011 at sheer random (which led to discovering the US band Kaleidoscope 3D). Like Peter Daltrey's Mick Jagger-y voice :D, in fact in some site recollections Peter said Rolling Stones/ Mick liked the album or to the effect. The bright piano is charming, melody beautiful. Best track. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5VA6ykQ2XI
Coolest songs strangely didn't fit the album - "Dream For Julie" (with cool guitars) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3q-O-pUINs & "Jenny Artichoke" (inspired by Donovan's "Jennifer Juniper"; fast, cool, upbeat) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnFcmJWAqQ8
That said, their best song is "San Francisco", Sidekick sessions 1964-67 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl80VVxaSeM&t=0s&list=PLjflgeg6v_49VKIJeSvLqm5YDD18NhQG3&index=10
Next coolly cool by garage band Unlrelated Segments "It's Not Fair" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kewLgA3XQ1A

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: May 27, 2018, 06:34:46 AM »

Went to youtube, typed "sunshine 60s obscure", picked playlist, 1st song immediate favorite - The Carlew Choir "Give A Hand To The Clown": https://youtu.be/ri96DZlqu7I?list=PLArYi0PHpsTw_RiUnM6-zZ5kD9bqdii0B

It starts with catchy positive doo-doo's, ends with same, good melody in verse AND refrain which is rare case, usually either or is better.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: June 07, 2018, 05:15:45 AM »

Recent faves in Winamp shuffle

1. The New Seekers "I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing" - really nice positive song, better than usual Seekers.
2. Bee Gees "Sun In My Morning" - great song with beautiful harmonies, Bee Gees did many great songs in the 60s.
3. David Marks "I Wanna Cry" - cool garagey song, in fact I even like David's voice.
4. Velvet Underground "I'll Be Your Mirror" - Nico's voice is dreadfully gorgeous. Regal, plummy, great accent, yet she can be mellow if need be, like here when she sings sweet song.
5. The Charlatans "High Coin" - Van Dyke's best brainchild (this & exquisite lyrics to "Cabin Essence"). This is def. best version. Lush yet tasteful reverb/ echo arrangement.
6. The Flying Burrito Brothers "Dark End Of The Street" - best song in the given album. I find Graham's voice very banal but it doesn't ruin the good song.
7. Tony Orlando & Dawn "Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree" - Tony's among my list of favorite singers. & this is great 70s song.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx