gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 10:43:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs you are obsessing over.  (Read 197898 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: January 27, 2018, 07:13:48 AM »

Norton by Mike McGear
Except "Lily The Pink" & "Rainbow Lady", didn't hear anything by Mike. Checking his catalog, really cool to see Paul helped his brother with last album. It's nice to let Mike sing it, Paul didn't butt in with leads.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: February 04, 2018, 07:19:32 PM »

lately, it's this whole album:

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: February 05, 2018, 04:53:28 PM »

The Back Seat of My Car and Monkberry Moon Delight sometimes get stuck in my mind!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: February 18, 2018, 01:22:56 AM »

Ram's much better than Band On The Run. Except Band's got "Jet". 3D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: February 19, 2018, 10:49:14 AM »

Beer For My Horses -- Toby Keith
KDS
« Reply #630 on: February 19, 2018, 11:38:18 AM »

Beer For My Horses -- Toby Keith

I used to dislike this song a lot, but I came around on it, hearing it a lot on Buffett's Pandora channel this past summer, which was particularly stressful
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: February 24, 2018, 05:03:05 AM »

Listening 5th time to the cool The Residents, song "Sinister Exaggerator". It's what the title says - sinister, could easily fit the horror movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IsW4_NecjY

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 23, 2018, 05:35:40 PM »

Mike Leroy/ FatherOfTheMan's "I'll Bet He's Nice" - best rendition with cool arrangement & jolly good singing.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: March 29, 2018, 04:31:19 AM »

It's Mike Leroy listening time again. "Heroes & Villains" done 8-bit style. 3D

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 29, 2018, 06:00:38 PM »

Larry in his blog posted curious songs by "here we have a woman, well into her 60s, presaging an uncompromising take on what would soon be labeled ‘singer/songwriter’ music" - Malvina Reynolds. Her song "Little Boxes" is the theme song to the show "Weeds" & used in commercials. Pete Seeger popularized it as well.

Anyway, 2 selections by Larry can be found in her 1967 LP "Malvina Reynolds Sings The Truth". Larry describes the entire album as "a quiet, low-key (yet razor sharp) masterpiece of poetic social commentary", adding next that "The first few times I listened to the album I found my brain trying to wrap itself around the music, and continually slipping off, until – that is – I figured it out" (I just like the way Larry speaks Smiley).

Songs in question:

"The New Restaurant" (live, didn't find the album track): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu3sD35TyUg
"I Don't Mind Failing": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ60n_-BK6Q

Here's 1977 documentary about Malvina: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvOscTN_354

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 30, 2018, 07:18:55 AM »

Hm, figured NOLA would check the previous post, it's up her alley, she likes songs with "social commentary". Hello, Liz! Funny that people don't check things I write, yet check the others. It would be interesting to see smb. else name-check the same songs & if people quickly would pay attention to it. The answer is "Yes", of course.

Case in point - in "What you listen" thread, I name-checked Canadian band Hot Hot Heat & undercover-m seemed interested & said she'll check it. But...she didn't, instead paid attention to other posters' recommendations. But, do you really think if people she clings to the most & who she follows to read namechecked that band, she'd quickly forget it?

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 30, 2018, 12:30:25 PM »

I like "Beer for My Horses" as well.

Malvina Reynolds is a blast from the past. Will do my best to listen to her music tonight. Right now I'm fighting a bad sinus headache and nasal congestion that's causing some vertigo and queasiness. Otherwise everything's great! 😁

Edit: Today is Good Friday in the western Christian Church. Traditionally I listen to Jesus Christ Superstar on this day so will listen this evening. Good ole Malvina will have to wait til tomorrow
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 01:08:54 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 30, 2018, 04:50:12 PM »

Today is Good Friday in the western Christian Church. Traditionally I listen to Jesus Christ Superstar on this day so will listen this evening. Good ole Malvina will have to wait til tomorrow
As Mikie would say in emails "'sup to you". When you get back, where did you hear Malvina? She's not New Orleanian, she's born in California. Did you listen to album mentioned by Larry "Malvina Reynolds Sings The Truth"? Or the debut album? Check the documentary link, if you didn't. If you did, tell what it gave you away. Curious.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 31, 2018, 11:02:44 AM »

Back in the 1980s I took out a subscription to the magazine Sing Out!, a publication co-founded by Pete Seeger. It is heavily into folk and ethnic music, plus lots of songs about unions and labor, civil rights, and children's songs. It's how I really got to know the music of Woody Guthrie, plus other singer/songwriters such as Malvina Reynolds (Who had passed away by the time I took out the subscription). There were lyrics to many songs included, plus some written out music lines as well.
It helped a lot with getting song material for the folk group I was in. In the late 90s I had to stop subscribing due to temporary financial problems.

"Little Boxes" is a nice earworm - Got Bluebirds over the Mountain out of my head finally lol. Also, that song is a precursor in a way to Pleasant Valley Sunday, made famous by the Monkees.
Thanks for posting Reynolds' bio video.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: April 08, 2018, 07:46:36 PM »

Upbeat "Hello There Joe" featured in film with lovely Anna Karina: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2tt-ES0fiw

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: April 15, 2018, 06:18:10 PM »

Larry posted in his amazing blog great upbeat song, with harmonies a la Mamas & Papas, Spanky & Our Gang etc. But it's better song than anything by those vocal groups, esp. the former. Welcome "The World Of Thursday Morning" by The Care Package. Can't check if it's in youtube, Internet's slow as usual. But if it's there, enjoy!

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: April 18, 2018, 02:52:27 PM »

2 English songs by French ye-ye singer Sylvie Vartan sung without accent:

“I Heard Somebody Say” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qogDXb236ek
“Since You Don’t Care” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBQg1gqbQGI

Reading info about ye-ye in France, it looks like Sylvie beat them all by success & popularity. She even got to meet Beatles in L'Olympia in 1964 (type "beatles sylvie vartan" in Google Images to see). Checking French girl singers, she's definitely got the best voice. The 1st song is nice 60s pop tune, pure confection. 2nd is what youtube user compared voice/ songwise to Patsy Cline - they're right.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: April 18, 2018, 05:09:08 PM »

RangeRoverA1 - Thank you for reminding me of Sylvie! I have no clear idea why, but as I listened to the songs, I imagined
that they (and her singing) are somehow reflective of your personality. Something about the self-assured whimsy and firm ending to phrases...
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: April 18, 2018, 05:52:38 PM »

You like Sylvie? When did you hear her? Which song is favorite, French & English? I discovered Sylvie just last year & really liked. Btw, you gave Sylvie's voice apt description - self-assured indeed. & military.

Paging Buckethead! 3D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 01:12:14 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: April 18, 2018, 11:07:26 PM »

Leif Garetts Version of The Wanderer. I think Dion's version was great but I prefer the more upbeat version Leif did.

Also I've heard Hungry Heart at least 1000 times this year.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: April 19, 2018, 02:56:38 AM »

Leif Garetts Version of The Wanderer. I think Dion's version was great but I prefer the more upbeat version Leif did.

Also I've heard Hungry Heart at least 1000 times this year.

Wow, rmf, to each their own, I guess. I bought Dion's version when it was released----it's the only one for me (maybe bar Dennis's live version).

Right now, I can't get this song out of my mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7O7ihJCq0w

I'm not that much of a fan of The Boss, but "HH" sounds nice... Great doo-woppy backing harmonies!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: April 19, 2018, 03:01:36 AM »

Such lame nickname, "the Boss". Roll Eyes Springsteen's voice is big pain in the neck. Besides, his music is dreadfully boring, including HH. Couldn't care less about Dion either.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: April 19, 2018, 04:14:31 AM »

Such lame nickname, "the Boss". Roll Eyes Springsteen's voice is big pain in the neck. Besides, his music is dreadfully boring, including HH. Couldn't care less about Dion either.

Aww, RR. Got out of the wrong side of our bed this morning, did we? Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: April 19, 2018, 04:22:58 AM »

Got out of the wrong side of our bed this morning, did we?
Maybe YOU did if you find problem with the other poster's music view? Last I checked, this is free board where everybody can state what they like & dislike.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: April 19, 2018, 04:56:48 AM »

Got out of the wrong side of our bed this morning, did we?

Maybe YOU did if you find problem with the other poster's music view? Last I checked, this is free board where everybody can state what they like & dislike.

To be quite honest, RR, I think I did. LOL

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx