gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 06:14:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs you are obsessing over.  (Read 197845 times)
KDS
« Reply #575 on: September 16, 2017, 11:05:09 PM »

I know this wasn't directed towards me
It's fine. You summed up many views about George. We agree. What can you say about Ringo? Liked hits or beyond it? Listened to the newest to date?

John is a close second.
Which is favorite song by John barring Beatles? In some magazine issue John's friends & fam each picked their favorites. Sean listed "God". I agree with this choice, imo it's the coolest musically/ vocally in John's catalog.

Im not sure if I have one favorite.  God is up there.  Mind Games, Happy Xmas, Instant Karma, How Do You Sleep, Nobody Told Me, Imagine, etc
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: September 17, 2017, 05:17:43 AM »

You listed popular. What's the favorite obscure album track?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #577 on: September 17, 2017, 06:19:01 AM »

Probably I Found Out or Well Well Well
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: September 17, 2017, 02:31:42 PM »

I think John kinda lost his relevance after Sometime in New York City. Paul was more consistent in the 70s for me, but John's highs were higher, with most of Plastic Ono Band and the early singles Instant Karma, Cold Turkey, Happy Xmas etc. I don't think Paul could ever write something as powerful as God.
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 17, 2017, 06:12:10 PM »

Probably I Found Out or Well Well Well

Yeah, those two are awesome songs. I also enjoy "Look At Me", just a perfect example of what a great singer/songwriter can do with just a guitar and minimal production.

I think John kinda lost his relevance after Sometime in New York City. Paul was more consistent in the 70s for me, but John's highs were higher, with most of Plastic Ono Band and the early singles Instant Karma, Cold Turkey, Happy Xmas etc. I don't think Paul could ever write something as powerful as God.

I pretty much agree. I think it's almost as if he was running out of inspiration. He still had SOME, obviously, but not enough to expand beyond a couple of albums. I think Imagine was already a pretty noticeable step down from Plastic Ono Band, for instance, even though that's a good one too. After that he definitely had some great songs, but just wasn't as brilliant as he was in his Beatles days and very early solo career.

That being said, #9 Dream is probably my all-time favorite solo Lennon tune. Given how it was during a time when, as I mentioned, he was struggling a bit artistically, when I hear it I'm still like "Wow, where did that come from?" (From a weird dream he had, I know, but I mean compared to the other stuff he was recording at the time). It's just so beautiful, the perfect 'dream' song...that chorus is out of this world and sounds like a George Harrison type thing, including the opening slide guitar solo. The only part I kinda don't like is the 'pousse pousse' or whatever word. I know they changed it so it wouldn't sound like the other word, but it still stands out and adds a sort of sexual context to an otherwise innocent sounding song. Oh well, no biggie. Still love it. If you can, listen to the fade out with the volume up, you can briefly hear I 'think' John doing some backup vocals that are drowned out during most of the rest of the song. It just shows how much is really going on.

So '#9 Dream' is the song I'm obsessing over right now.  Grin

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: September 18, 2017, 02:22:06 AM »

#9 Dream is probably my all-time favorite solo Lennon tune. Given how it was during a time when, as I mentioned, he was struggling a bit artistically, when I hear it I'm still like "Wow, where did that come from?" (From a weird dream he had, I know, but I mean compared to the other stuff he was recording at the time). It's just so beautiful, the perfect 'dream' song...that chorus is out of this world and sounds like a George Harrison type thing, including the opening slide guitar solo. The only part I kinda don't like is the 'pousse pousse' or whatever word. I know they changed it so it wouldn't sound like the other word, but it still stands out and adds a sort of sexual context to an otherwise innocent sounding song. Oh well, no biggie. Still love it. If you can, listen to the fade out with the volume up, you can briefly hear I 'think' John doing some backup vocals that are drowned out during most of the rest of the song. It just shows how much is really going on.

So '#9 Dream' is the song I'm obsessing over right now.  Grin

"#9 Dream" is one of my favourite John solo efforts ("Woman" is another). It's certainly a song that's difficult to get out of one's brain. I have no trouble with the mock-French chorus and have never thought of it that way. It's just something utterly magical----a language from another planet.

From the sublime to the ridiculous. Right now I'm obsessing about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCY0aeUx-Ns  
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 04:15:38 AM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: September 18, 2017, 04:12:38 AM »

That being said, #9 Dream is probably my all-time favorite solo Lennon tune. Given how it was during a time when, as I mentioned, he was struggling a bit artistically, when I hear it I'm still like "Wow, where did that come from?" (From a weird dream he had, I know, but I mean compared to the other stuff he was recording at the time). It's just so beautiful, the perfect 'dream' song...that chorus is out of this world and sounds like a George Harrison type thing, including the opening slide guitar solo. The only part I kinda don't like is the 'pousse pousse' or whatever word. I know they changed it so it wouldn't sound like the other word, but it still stands out and adds a sort of sexual context to an otherwise innocent sounding song. Oh well, no biggie. Still love it. If you can, listen to the fade out with the volume up, you can briefly hear I 'think' John doing some backup vocals that are drowned out during most of the rest of the song. It just shows how much is really going on.

So '#9 Dream' is the song I'm obsessing over right now.  Grin

I've always thought this song was inspired by The Zombies' Hung Up on a Dream.
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: September 18, 2017, 09:16:54 AM »

Quote from: RangeRoverA1
It's fine. You summed up many views about George. We agree. What can you say about Ringo? Liked hits or beyond it? Listened to the newest to dat

I've liked his hits for the most part. I listened to "Ringo" from 1973 all the way through and found it mostly enjoyable, of course not on the level of the very best John, Paul and George stuff. "Ringo's Rotogravure" I've listened to as well and liked it less than Ringo, but it's still pretty fun. I remember being disappointed by the other Beatles contributions on that album, but I guess it's to be expected that they would just give Ringo whatever toss-offs they wrote and save their best material for themselves. Other than those two albums I've heard other songs here and there. I watched a concert of his a few years ago with his 'All-Starr' Band, and liked some of it but a few of the originals (don't remember their names) were pretty, sad to say...bad. I haven't heard the newest stuff, but this conversation has made me interested in giving it (and some of his older stuff) a shot.
KDS
« Reply #583 on: September 18, 2017, 09:34:01 AM »

It's a shame what happened, as John's songs on Double Fantasy were great.  It's sad to imagine (no pun intended) what he could've accomplished in the 1980s and beyond since he seemed to get that creative fire back. 
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: September 18, 2017, 09:49:15 AM »

It's a shame what happened, as John's songs on Double Fantasy were great.  It's sad to imagine (no pun intended) what he could've accomplished in the 1980s and beyond since he seemed to get that creative fire back. 

Yes! I liked his Double Fantasy songs a lot too. It seems like he lived long enough to become at peace with himself and life in general, get back into music, then he got shot down...really sad. Oh well. Guess it just makes us appreciate what he did give us that much more.
KDS
« Reply #585 on: September 18, 2017, 10:00:29 AM »

Yes! I liked his Double Fantasy songs a lot too. It seems like he lived long enough to become at peace with himself and life in general, get back into music, then he got shot down...really sad. Oh well. Guess it just makes us appreciate what he did give us that much more.

I always thought that, had John lived, The Beatles might have reunited for Live Aid in 1985. 
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 18, 2017, 01:21:08 PM »

I like the songwriting on Double Fantasy, but can't stand the production. Way too AC and polished. I think John would've went for that artificial 80s sound even more had he lived, just like Paul eventually did.

I was listening to Yoko's Plastic Ono Band a few weeks ago too. Pretty interesting, way more adventurous musically than any of John's stuff (though with the same musicians).
KDS
« Reply #587 on: September 18, 2017, 01:42:44 PM »

I like the songwriting on Double Fantasy, but can't stand the production. Way too AC and polished. I think John would've went for that artificial 80s sound even more had he lived, just like Paul eventually did.

I was listening to Yoko's Plastic Ono Band a few weeks ago too. Pretty interesting, way more adventurous musically than any of John's stuff (though with the same musicians).

I think John's Double Fantasy songs are clean productions, but I don't think they're overly polished.  Same with the material that was released on Milk and Honey
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: September 20, 2017, 05:43:45 PM »

"Hello Skinny" by The Residents: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uJxfQJChQ4
I decided now it's the best track in Duck Stab (used to be "Blue Rosebuds" which is still in Top 3).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: October 30, 2017, 11:09:57 AM »

Posted before, post it again police seen it 1000 times, it's super-cool! 3D: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie1WWWOxhMs

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 13, 2017, 05:28:23 AM »

New goodie brought by Larry in his ace blog 3D Webster's New Word "Henry Thachet"

As he says, groovy tune with cool drums & "still-jangling" guitars & I like the vocs. 3D

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 14, 2017, 10:48:55 PM »

Charming "If I Didn't Care" by The Ink Spots https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH_zodj-5Vo

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 26, 2017, 07:25:41 PM »

Kaleidoscope (U.S. band) "Minnie The Moocher".

wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #593 on: December 01, 2017, 06:43:18 PM »

Judee Sill - Jesus Was A Crossmaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8tDmPmC_Bk
"One time I trusted a stranger because I heard his sweet song..."

alt version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zfh_PkFRVs
"He's a bandit and a heartbreaker, oh but Jesus was a crossmaker..."

& The Donor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeITxqrAOws

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."

Looking for contributions for a Dennis fanzine
https://denniswilsonzine.tumblr.com
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 02, 2017, 10:58:50 PM »

Tell you what, wild neon sins - I took time to listen to 1st Judee album start to finish, didn't expect to like it &...didn't like it indeed. What the hell is with her voice? She sounds...off. Unstable. Even crazy. For lack of better words.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: December 03, 2017, 01:08:45 AM »

I heard this song a couple months ago on tv when I was in the hospital. It stuck in my head and wouldn't leave me alone, so I had to track it down on YouTube. It's been a LONG time since a song impressed me this much. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyiEJaf-IzE&index=1&list=FLV1RDQ0_F5rhRw-6iYbh-8Q

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: December 03, 2017, 05:14:26 AM »

Miss Marple "Murder Is Announced" (2005) just began now, the lady in the room pretties herself up, she plays vinyl & sings along to terribly charming tune I didn't hear before. I found it by lyric bits, it's "Guilty" by Al Bowlley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAxCPQJ2z34

Beautiful crooning like Perry Como but it differs ofc.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #597 on: December 03, 2017, 09:21:51 AM »

I heard this song a couple months ago on tv when I was in the hospital. It stuck in my head and wouldn't leave me alone, so I had to track it down on YouTube. It's been a LONG time since a song impressed me this much. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyiEJaf-IzE&index=1&list=FLV1RDQ0_F5rhRw-6iYbh-8Q

Excellent song

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: December 03, 2017, 12:46:36 PM »

continuing my journey into Radiohead, I've been listening to this lately:

click on that, and it'll take you to a song I like.

Hi, M. Unfortunately it doesn't, but never mind.

Today I heard something amazing called "Everything In Its Right Place". I wasn't planning to investigate Radiohead at all, life being short and all that. Damn. Now it looks like I'm going to have to. Damn damn damn. Grin

https://vimeo.com/157296965

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 19, 2017, 06:49:10 PM »

Bruce Springsteen - Thunder Road
Bruce Springsteen - You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)
Elvis Presley - I Gotta Know
Elvis Presley - Frankfort Special (Scotty Moore's guitar solo)
Bee Gees - Road to Alaska
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx