gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
609868 Posts in 24651 Topics by 3514 Members - Latest Member: FredGroman June 27, 2017, 01:53:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs you are obsessing over.  (Read 39470 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink tea. wanna join?

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: June 07, 2017, 06:08:10 PM »

"Cool Calm & Collected" by Rolling Stones. Mick sings it very well, song shines with joy & neat kazooing.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post in SmileySmile.

Cat is creature, everybody creature. (Best rhymes Anthology)

The grass is greener thru sun glasses.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 13, 2017, 07:24:52 AM »

The American Epic series that ran recently had a segment on the development of the steel guitar.
I love the sound of the steel guitar, whatever style it is.
Am a fan of the "sacred steel" tradition. This is pedal steel guitar used in some church services.
So the series reminded me that it was too long since listening to the Campbell Brothers. They played this song at our JazzFest a few years ago, and I couldn't help it, had to get up and move!
This is great music for doing housework, mopping the floors, rattling those pots and pans, scooping out cat litter...

Morning Train
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPtQmYmsCCQ

And for something COMPLETELY different:
Read a story about Korla Pandit. He was a guy who said that he was from India. Wore a turban and played a mean organ. He was very popular in the 40s-50s.
I find the music fascinating, but am curious about how it was so popular.  It wasn't, at least to my ears, soothing, but was a bit unsettling at times
Here he is, playing a song that's very familiar to surf music fans:

Miserlou
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9ytSC8rz84

Oh, and Pandit wasn't from India, but from the U.S., born in Missouri. And he wasn't Indian, but African American. In our crazy country back then, an African American couldn't get gigs like this. But be some other "exotic" ethnicity and the sky was the limit.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"Someone...handed me a Leadbelly record with the song "Cottonfields" on it. And that record changed my life right then and there. Transported me into a world I'd never known." - Bob Dylan, Nobel Prize Speech.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

full up like a landfill

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 21, 2017, 01:01:33 AM »

this one.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Perhaps I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 21, 2017, 02:05:36 AM »

A quite understandable obsession, M. :=)

It's really odd discovering (with a little help) music by a band from the '80s I'd never even heard of a week or two ago...

"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx