gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680554 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 04:27:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs you are obsessing over.  (Read 197828 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: June 07, 2017, 06:08:10 PM »

"Cool Calm & Collected" by Rolling Stones. Mick sings it very well, song shines with joy & neat kazooing.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 13, 2017, 07:24:52 AM »

The American Epic series that ran recently had a segment on the development of the steel guitar.
I love the sound of the steel guitar, whatever style it is.
Am a fan of the "sacred steel" tradition. This is pedal steel guitar used in some church services.
So the series reminded me that it was too long since listening to the Campbell Brothers. They played this song at our JazzFest a few years ago, and I couldn't help it, had to get up and move!
This is great music for doing housework, mopping the floors, rattling those pots and pans, scooping out cat litter...

Morning Train
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPtQmYmsCCQ

And for something COMPLETELY different:
Read a story about Korla Pandit. He was a guy who said that he was from India. Wore a turban and played a mean organ. He was very popular in the 40s-50s.
I find the music fascinating, but am curious about how it was so popular.  It wasn't, at least to my ears, soothing, but was a bit unsettling at times
Here he is, playing a song that's very familiar to surf music fans:

Miserlou
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9ytSC8rz84

Oh, and Pandit wasn't from India, but from the U.S., born in Missouri. And he wasn't Indian, but African American. In our crazy country back then, an African American couldn't get gigs like this. But be some other "exotic" ethnicity and the sky was the limit.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 21, 2017, 01:01:33 AM »

this one.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 21, 2017, 02:05:36 AM »

A quite understandable obsession, M. :=)

It's really odd discovering (with a little help) music by a band from the '80s I'd never even heard of a week or two ago...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 01, 2017, 06:58:36 AM »

"Merrie Melodies" cartoon intro song - such fun!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:00:58 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #530 on: August 01, 2017, 07:12:11 AM »

"Merrie Melodies" cartoon intro song - such fun!

I miss classic Looney Tunes. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 01, 2017, 07:26:34 AM »

Who's your favorite-not favorite characters? To answer it 1st - Sylvester & Tweety. Really wished that cat ate the dumb pseudo-cute ugly birdie.

KDS
« Reply #532 on: August 01, 2017, 08:04:01 AM »

Who's your favorite-not favorite characters? To answer it 1st - Sylvester & Tweety. Really wished that cat ate the dumb pseudo-cute ugly birdie.

I've always been a fan of the Roadrunner / Wile E Coyote shorts.  And you have to love Daffy. 

We watched a movie from about ten years ago called Looney Tunes Back in Action, which was surprisingly good, but it flopped because it apparently got zero promotion. 
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 01, 2017, 09:11:55 AM »

Faves - Porky Pig and Elmer Fudd

Runners up - Daffy Duck and that Martian guy.

Can't think of any I didn't care for.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 02, 2017, 06:26:57 AM »

I've always been a fan of the Roadrunner / Wile E Coyote shorts.  And you have to love Daffy.
Here they go again - people not reading posts they quote with great attention. I asked "who's your favorite-not favorite characters?". You answered re: favorites. Tell not-favorites now. Easy like this.

KDS
« Reply #535 on: August 02, 2017, 06:30:39 AM »

Here they go again - people not reading posts they quote with great attention. I asked "who's your favorite-not favorite characters?". You answered re: favorites. Tell not-favorites now. Easy like this.

I apologize for providing an answer that doesn't conform to your standards. 

I don't have a least favorite to be honest.  Unless you include the female funny they created for Space Jam. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 02, 2017, 06:33:17 AM »

Apology accepted. Ta.

Do you've favorite cartoon music theme?

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 02, 2017, 06:33:49 AM »

I've always been a fan of the Roadrunner / Wile E Coyote shorts.  And you have to love Daffy.

Favourites? Yogi Bear and Boo-Boo for starters. And Cow and Chicken always crack me up...

Non-favourites? That dreadful Snagglepuss----Heavens to Murgatroyd indeed!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 09:51:19 AM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
KDS
« Reply #538 on: August 02, 2017, 06:36:58 AM »

Apology accepted. Ta.

Do you've favorite cartoon music theme?

Hmmm.......I'd probably go with the "Linus and Lucy" theme from Peanuts by Vince Guaraldi.  It was originally written for the 1965 Charlie Brown Christmas, and has appeared in many of the Peanuts animated shows, specials, and movies over the last five plus decades.  

Close second would be Danny Elfman's theme for The Simpsons.  
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 02, 2017, 09:21:49 AM »

Favorite cartoon theme song?
While I really like the songs for classics such as the Flintstones and the Jetsons. the best for me is the Jonny Quest theme song from that 60s show. BTW, my favorite character on that show is Bandit the dog.

PS - Just saw closing credits for the Flintstones and Jetsons. Had forgotten how in both, pesky cats caused problems for Fred and George.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 10:19:20 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: August 02, 2017, 07:05:47 PM »

Listened to "Linus & Lucy" - boring. Is it what Vince Guaraldi famous for? Not my bag.

Steely Dan "Charlie Freak" from Android Warehouse.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 03, 2017, 02:02:55 AM »

Here's the intro to a fun Dutch cartoon series. I believe it was translated into English as Ox Tales:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pALCOwjswXQ

KDS
« Reply #542 on: August 03, 2017, 05:26:32 AM »

Listened to "Linus & Lucy" - boring. Is it what Vince Guaraldi famous for? Not my bag.

Steely Dan "Charlie Freak" from Android Warehouse.

I can see not really liking Vince's work, but boring seems like an odd description.   To each their own. 
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 03, 2017, 07:14:13 AM »

Being a fan of West Coast Jazz, I like Guaraldi's work.

For "Peanuts" music, my favorite song is Skating, particularly at Christmastime. Like to imagine being outside during a gentle snowfall - while we have the air conditioner on inside LOL

KDS
« Reply #544 on: August 03, 2017, 07:19:54 AM »

Being a fan of West Coast Jazz, I like Guaraldi's work.

For "Peanuts" music, my favorite song is Skating, particularly at Christmastime. Like to imagine being outside during a gentle snowfall - while we have the air conditioner on inside LOL

Good one.  Personally, I think the Vince Guaraldi Charlie Brown Christmas Soundtrack is an essential album at Christmas. 
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 03, 2017, 09:20:49 AM »

It's interesting what turns some people on, where others find it as meh.
But that's good, what would really be boring is everybody agreeing on everything.

Example - just saw FB post of my 5 month old grandnephew falling asleep to the gentle strains of - Killswitch Engage.  Grin

KDS
« Reply #546 on: August 03, 2017, 09:26:19 AM »

It's interesting what turns some people on, where others find it as meh.
But that's good, what would really be boring is everybody agreeing on everything.

Example - just saw FB post of my 5 month old grandnephew falling asleep to the gentle strains of - Killswitch Engage.  Grin

Interesting.  I don't think they could put me to sleep, but outside of a song or two, Killswitch never did much for me.  I think Howard Jones (who I don't think is even in the band anymore) is a decent singer, but I think he used the growling / screaming vox a bit much for my taste. 
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 03, 2017, 10:23:51 AM »

My sister and brother in law are always playing Mozart for their grandson (supposedly, Mozart makes you smarter). And probably all the while, my grandnephew is thinking, "Turn that blankety blank stuff off. I want to hear some REAL head banging music!"

KDS
« Reply #548 on: August 03, 2017, 10:56:20 AM »

My sister and brother in law are always playing Mozart for their grandson (supposedly, Mozart makes you smarter). And probably all the while, my grandnephew is thinking, "Turn that blankety blank stuff off. I want to hear some REAL head banging music!"

Well, I think there's a direct link between classical and heavy metal.  So, it kinda makes sense. 
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 03, 2017, 07:11:29 PM »

David Ruffin - I've Got a Need For You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6462RXQudTY

Also his version of A Rainy Night In Georgia from the same album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-xm1EYyp6g

Can't get enough!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx