gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:32:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs you are obsessing over.  (Read 197821 times)
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: September 26, 2016, 05:08:10 AM »

Every song on Ezra Furman's Perpetual Motion People album.

I've got it linked for future listening. Always pleased to broaden my musical horizons. ;=)

I did a little horizon broadening myself and listened to your cantata. Very powerful.

Yes, Mr P could deliver. (The conductor Valery Gergiev rates him the number one 20th-century composer.)

I suppose he's like Tchaikowsky in some ways----he could write a luminous ballet like Cinderella (which my daughter danced in many years ago) and something as grim (but ultimately uplifting) as Alexander Nevsky... 
John, I think you mean Prokofiev. However, what you said holds even better for Tchaikowsky, who composed an even more luminous ballet like "The Sleeping Beauty", and also the sublime but harrowing Sixth Symphony.

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 26, 2016, 06:13:46 AM »

I've got it linked for future listening. Always pleased to broaden my musical horizons. ;=)

I did a little horizon broadening myself and listened to your cantata. Very powerful.

Yes, Mr P could deliver. (The conductor Valery Gergiev rates him the number one 20th-century composer.)

I suppose he's like Tchaikowsky in some ways----he could write a luminous ballet like Cinderella (which my daughter danced in many years ago) and something as grim (but ultimately uplifting) as Alexander Nevsky... 
John, I think you mean Prokofiev. However, what you said holds even better for Tchaikowsky, who composed an even more luminous ballet like "The Sleeping Beauty", and also the sublime but harrowing Sixth Symphony.

I wasn't expressing myself properly (happens often). I meant that Prokofiev was a lot like old Tch.. Thanks for pulling me up on that. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 27, 2016, 03:55:53 AM »

I wasn't expressing myself properly (happens often). I meant that Prokofiev was a lot like old Tch.. Thanks for pulling me up on that. :=)
Oh sorry, you were expressing yourself more than properly! Totally my bad, my reading skills were at one of their frequent lows...
By the way, I abolutely agree about Prokofiev. The Russian musicians had a great 19th century, but in the 20th they blew everybody else out of the water in the "classical" field, with Prokofiev, Shostakovich and Stravinskij.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 04:07:28 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 27, 2016, 08:41:06 AM »

Cliff Richard - "Congratulations". 2nd place in Eurovision, could be 1st, Cliff is great singer, can be equally good at both slow & fast songs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvbkiyzmI4o

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 29, 2016, 01:00:50 AM »

Had this one in my head while walking the dog. I started "singing" it too, much to the consternation of the local populace, who already think I'm a little weird:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltyC3DEYoZ4

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 10, 2016, 07:52:45 AM »

Chocolate Watchband - "Misty lane" (alternative take), "Let's go let's go let's go", "Gossamer wings", "Uncle Morris", "Are you gonna be there (at the love-in)". Cool tracks.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 07:54:06 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 12, 2016, 04:38:36 AM »

Dean Martin "That's Amore". The local staish played it today as 50s pick (for 60s was Dusty Springfield "Wishin' & Hopin'" etc). Quickly recognize as the 3 mice sang it in movie "Babe: pig in the city". I liked it then. Dean's voice is better though. No idea what "amore" is, might be some Italian food, as there's ref. to "pizza" & "pasta" in the  lyrics.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 12, 2016, 04:51:35 AM »

Dean Martin "That's Amore". The local staish played it today as 50s pick (for 60s was Dusty Springfield "Wishin' & Hopin'" etc). Quickly recognize as the 3 mice sang it in movie "Babe: pig in the city". I liked it then. Dean's voice is better though. No idea what "amore" is, might be some Italian food, as there's ref. to "pizza" & "pasta" in the  lyrics.

Amore is the Italian word for love.

"In Napoli where love is king
When boy meets girl here's what they say"

Of course Dino may be confessing his love of pasta----can't say I blame him...

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: October 12, 2016, 07:35:18 PM »

Chris Stamey "Where the fun is"; mentioned in the blog post about the Ork records: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3dpupXgtMA
Big fan of Chris since then. 3D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:59:24 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 17, 2016, 08:20:05 AM »

Peter Gabriel "That'll Do". Completely unfamiliar with this artist, believe it or not, but this ain't too shabby  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSlnGNanlhE

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 23, 2016, 05:11:28 AM »

Kirsty MacColl's hit "A new England". Written by Billy Bragg, she reworked it, arranged the vocals, with her signature multilayered harmonizing (as she said in documentary she's one woman BBs; Billy in the same doc says it blew him away what Kirsty did with his simple song; he sang it at 1st & 10th anniversary concerts in Kirsty's memory)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnzpg5GgQCo

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 23, 2016, 01:59:21 PM »

I almost put this in the Beatles Survivor thread, but thought better of it.
Here will do.  I've been obsessed with "Cars and Girls" for many years.
This one's for the boys.

https://youtu.be/jEJdfDD4dVg

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 16, 2016, 04:05:35 AM »

By sheer coincidence, john k in "What you listen" mentioned Fleet Foxes & right after New Riders of the Purple Sage "Panama Red" next track was "Blue Ridge Mountains". What's cool about is it sounds a bit 3-D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5dUsZ4Djd0

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 16, 2016, 04:46:58 AM »

By sheer coincidence, john k in "What you listen" mentioned Fleet Foxes & right after New Riders of the Purple Sage "Panama Red" next track was "Blue Ridge Mountains". What's cool about is it sounds a bit 3-D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5dUsZ4Djd0

Lovely song there, RR. I have their other album with a similar picture on the cover but not this one...

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 16, 2016, 08:24:39 PM »

The Eva Cassidy version of Autumn Leaves.     She has been gone for many years and I just Discovered her a few months ago while listening to random stuff on Pandora.    I can't recall when I  Was last so moved by a piece of music  upon first listen.  I have been going back to it almost daily.    You may have heard this before but if not, and you love the music discussed on this board, you should check it out.   
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: November 17, 2016, 12:16:21 PM »

The Eva Cassidy version of Autumn Leaves.     She has been gone for many years and I just Discovered her a few months ago while listening to random stuff on Pandora.    I can't recall when I  Was last so moved by a piece of music  upon first listen.  I have been going back to it almost daily.    You may have heard this before but if not, and you love the music discussed on this board, you should check it out.   

Thanks, donald. That is really beautiful. My favourite out of what I've heard from Ms Cassidy so far is Sting's "Fields Of Gold":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UVjjcOUJLE

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 17, 2016, 03:20:43 PM »

Tame Impala, everyone.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 17, 2016, 03:43:57 PM »

Thats a cool song sounds old yet by the comments they are a newer band Shocked. second this on repeat now

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #468 on: November 17, 2016, 04:16:37 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz2MY2Ogf0U
Warhaus - The Good Lie

just had to interrupt replaying it to relisten to First We Take Manhattan - I'd totally forgotten just how much the original is 80s Miami Vice/synth/pop (mentally imaging a universe where this was a just before they went ultra seriousness Depeche Mode song or even The Pet Shop Boys)  LOL

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."

Looking for contributions for a Dennis fanzine
https://denniswilsonzine.tumblr.com
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 18, 2016, 02:48:52 AM »

Yes indeed. Following up your enthusiastic post across the road, I now have Lonerism lined up for early morning/late night listening. :=)

wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: November 18, 2016, 06:23:14 AM »

Dewey Cox goes all Brain Wilson...50,000 Digeridoos...love it!
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 19, 2016, 01:20:59 PM »

Thats a cool song sounds old yet by the comments they are a newer band Shocked. second this on repeat now
Yeah, that album came out in 2012. Glad you enjoy.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: November 19, 2016, 01:21:54 PM »

Yes indeed. Following up your enthusiastic post across the road, I now have Lonerism lined up for early morning/late night listening. :=)
I finally did it! I hope you also enjoy.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: November 21, 2016, 03:31:26 AM »

I finally did it! I hope you also enjoy.

It's stunning so far. Odd that I left it (and TI) aside for so long...

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 03, 2016, 03:14:28 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfzFVbkutFE

Like no other.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx