gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 04:02:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs you are obsessing over.  (Read 197825 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 27, 2016, 09:35:00 PM »

Frank Ifield - She taught me to yodel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LybSS4amIS0
11-year child sings it in the local "Voice kids" show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEPM70Q1IoY

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 29, 2016, 03:23:46 AM »

Frank Ifield - She taught me to yodel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LybSS4amIS0
11-year child sings it in the local "Voice kids" show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEPM70Q1IoY

She makes a cracking job of it (no pun intended). Pity about the panel of jerks.

My obsession right now is that darn song that I can't identify (see separate topic). I often spend an hour a day hunting for it, googling string after string after string...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 30, 2016, 04:54:03 AM »

Yes, it's funny the judges didn't turn around sooner. She says after that she learned this very tough song in 2 weeks! Isn't it fabtastic?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 01, 2016, 07:42:15 AM »

Hoyt Axton - Double Double Dare, the lead voice sounds just like the guy from The Unrelated Segments. cool rhythm too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axt4tpTmdMA

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 03, 2016, 06:43:36 PM »

Angel Olsen - "Woman"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np4Hl6kDnK4&index=9&list=PLJhKEt4Hct7WGQl5oAXmCMw7kRa7QnL9y

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: September 04, 2016, 03:09:22 AM »

Not wanting to be an undercover-m tribute act or anything but I do have AO's album Half Way Home lined up...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 04:25:51 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 04, 2016, 11:25:21 AM »

Not wanting to be an undercover-m tribute act or anything but I do have AO's album Half Way Home lined up...
My goodness, you're gonna turn into me! But hey, that's not such a bad thing, right?

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 05, 2016, 01:08:01 AM »

My goodness, you're gonna turn into me! But hey, that's not such a bad thing, right?

That 's true but I think my family and friends might not understand. LOL

I think it's because your choices are less complicated. No comparisons made with other tracks/albums made by the artist in question. That tends to throw me off the scent.

The track by Cymbals Eat Guitars is pretty cool too. :=) 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 04:25:12 AM by john k » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 05, 2016, 04:30:25 AM »

The Eagles - Take It Easy. Glenn Frey is good singer.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 05, 2016, 04:38:36 AM »

2john k: didn't you set the rule "1 artist - 1 album"?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 04:39:53 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 05, 2016, 05:50:26 AM »

For myself, you mean. Generally speaking, yes, but it's not entirely unbending.

Some artists are worth exploring further but even then the first album I hear is often the one for me.

But not always. I had to listen to three by Mac DeMarco before I found "the one" (Salad Days).   

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 05, 2016, 11:06:27 AM »

Some artists are worth exploring further but even then the first album I hear is often the one for me.

But not always. I had to listen to three by Mac DeMarco before I found "the one" (Salad Days).   

You put that much dedication into listening to ol' Mac?
I'll have you know I saw him for the second time last Wednesday. He's a blast.

"Intern" by Angel is still a gorgeous song.
I've also gotten much acquainted with Ought's stuff.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 07, 2016, 05:53:24 PM »

The Yardbirds - No Excess Baggage. Larry in Iron Leg blog says it's their best song. Agree.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 08, 2016, 02:43:10 AM »

You put that much dedication into listening to ol' Mac?
I'll have you know I saw him for the second time last Wednesday. He's a blast.

"Intern" by Angel is still a gorgeous song.
I've also gotten much acquainted with Ought's stuff.

I found this trailer of "Intern". It is gorgeous.

Ought----another new name to me...

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 08, 2016, 09:08:07 AM »

It doesn't have to be new anymore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEQyi6eCxWw

(and yes, "Intern" has been on repeat for me these days)

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 08, 2016, 03:49:13 PM »

H'mm. Perhaps Ought isn't a new name to me. That cover looks darn familiar----and the voice is familiar too... 

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 08, 2016, 05:54:42 PM »

H'mm. Perhaps Ought isn't a new name to me. That cover looks darn familiar----and the voice is familiar too... 
I think this is why: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,149.msg585505.html#msg585505

Tongue

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 08, 2016, 06:25:59 PM »

The Chordettes - Mr. Sandman. Best song by best girl group. 3D

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 09, 2016, 04:35:00 AM »

I think this is why: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,149.msg585505.html#msg585505

Tongue

Ha. Yes indeed. And I did give it a brief listen but couldn't warm to the vocals----sorry!  Cool Guy

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 11, 2016, 04:09:25 AM »

Oasis "Don't Look Back in Anger". Casual fan before, after hearing this song, I'd like to check them further.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: September 11, 2016, 10:46:51 AM »

Oasis "Don't Look Back in Anger". Casual fan before, after hearing this song, I'd like to check them further.

Oasis have long been a big favourite of mine and I have fallen back into them in quite a big way this summer. While Don't Look Back is, in my opinion, their best, they've got a lot of great songs in their catalogue.
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 11, 2016, 02:50:57 PM »

Butthole surfers-hurdy gurdy man.   Cant stop playing it..great cover from a weird band

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 11, 2016, 05:05:08 PM »

Oasis have long been a big favourite of mine and I have fallen back into them in quite a big way this summer. While Don't Look Back is, in my opinion, their best, they've got a lot of great songs in their catalogue.
I read in many blogs that Oasis' debut regarded one of the strongest as the debuts go. Do you agree with it? usually, debut album is the weakest in [artist]'s catalog. Then they get better etc.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 11, 2016, 06:14:48 PM »

I read in many blogs that Oasis' debut regarded one of the strongest as the debuts go. Do you agree with it? usually, debut album is the weakest in [artist]'s catalog. Then they get better etc.

Most people do think that way about Definitely Maybe, their debut, and see it as the best in their catalogue. Personally, I prefer their follow-up What's The Story Morning Glory but I can see the acclaim for the former - it's wall-to-wall good songs with a fairly cohesive sound throughout. Morning Glory has higher highs but lower lows, for whatever that's worth, and I also appreciate the variety of different sounds it has. Any album after those two have their fair share of duds but, again in my opinion, they had great songs all throughout their career.

I think they came about at a time in England where there was a big audience for musicians making exploratory, 60s sounding, British sounding music so it's no surprise that a lot of bands were making their best music during that 1994-95 period.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 12, 2016, 10:25:15 AM »

Thanks for answer. In that case - re: last sentence in 1st paragraph - I'll check them chronologically.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx