gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 02:46:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs you are obsessing over.  (Read 197800 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: May 17, 2016, 02:18:48 AM »

2 favorites by Paul Revere & The Raiders:

SS396  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHYcvBwmIz8
Louise  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7oW1bstgjI

the catchiest - Jan & Dean's "Popsicle"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JerLyqwS8E

The Shillings' "Lying & trying", nice folk rock tune with some neat guitar, drums & wind chimes to boot  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDsLr59yLv0
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 02:27:55 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 17, 2016, 02:34:56 AM »

I've been obsessing over this track, the last song on what may be the last Rush album.  The lyrics really move me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAxtFSpHxts
KDS
« Reply #377 on: May 17, 2016, 12:54:43 PM »

I've been obsessing over this track, the last song on what may be the last Rush album.  The lyrics really move me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAxtFSpHxts

As much as I like Rush, the last new album I got from them was Vapor Trails.  I gotta get caught up.

Oddly, enough, as my Orioles improved to 21-12 this past Thursday night, I couldn't help but think of the title track to 2112.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 21, 2016, 10:49:54 AM »

Obsessing, as in can't get the 'song' out of my head.
It's "Zilch" by the Monkees. Hadn't heard it in 50 years, but when my sister forwarded it to me with the heading, 'China clipper calling Alameda' I immediately replied, not having listened to it yet, 'Never mind the furthermore, the plea is self-defense!" How had I remembered that line after so long, but can never remember where I put my car keys?

Been trying to clear my head by listening to the instrumental track to 'In the Back of My Mind,' a tune I have been obsessing over for a good while as it's so tear-inducingly incredible

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 24, 2016, 06:35:54 PM »

Bookends might be my favorite Simon and Garfunkel song. So short but so beautiful.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 04, 2016, 08:22:14 AM »

Prince - The Beautiful Ones
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 12, 2016, 05:03:02 PM »

Fresh from radio - search by lyrics showed it's called "You're only human" by Billy Joel. It is maybe my favorite Billy Joel vocal right now.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 12, 2016, 11:43:19 PM »

Fresh from radio - search by lyrics showed it's called "You're only human" by Billy Joel. It is maybe my favorite Billy Joel vocal right now.
Oh yes, this is quite the catchy song. It's been 2 years since my Billy Joel obsession. Maybe later I'll listen to him again.

Kinda feel like the same thing happened with the Beach Boys. So great it was overwhelming/I overindulged, and I've filled the gap with other great bands.

I continue my journey into Grizzly Bear. I have a lot of respect for Ed Droste.
Listening to "Yet Again" right now, which is quite good.

Oh my god. I watched a Mac DeMarco interview, and at one point he uses this song to get him pumped for recording music.
It's this 1983 song by some Ryan Paris. I'm kinda in love with this song.
I won't link the video because Mac is very crude here, but if you want to watch it (which you do), look up This Is: Mac Demarco.
Here's some cheesy music for your soul: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yoBAZXSN98

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 13, 2016, 02:32:12 AM »

Here's some cheesy music for your soul: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yoBAZXSN98

That is so '80s!

Here's another that is perhaps less cheesy but typical of a certain genre of '80s pop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX-Ru1XkNZc

This one recently helped me through a rough-ish time...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 13, 2016, 07:34:04 PM »

Oh yes, this is quite the catchy song. It's been 2 years since my Billy Joel obsession. Maybe later I'll listen to him again.

Kinda feel like the same thing happened with the Beach Boys. So great it was overwhelming/I overindulged, and I've filled the gap with other great bands.
Yes, there is "favorite" & then there is "short-lived". After listening to variety of bands & singers I get back to the BBs. Billy Joel isn't like them. The hits "Piano man", "Uptown girl", "Honesty" are nice. Billy has good voice & it  rocks but the songs are not what I usually like. That radio song was big surprise, very catchy indeed.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 24, 2016, 04:51:33 AM »

3 by The Aerovons (thanks to Judd!):

"Everything's alright" - best song NOT by the Beatles!

The link to "Here" is to full album; go to the end. Lost Paul track.

& "The Years" is very beautiful though it's not what, usually, I like.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 24, 2016, 05:09:17 AM »

3 by The Aerovons (thanks to Judd!):

"Everything's alright" - best song NOT by the Beatles!

The link to "Here" is to full album; go to the end. Lost Paul track.

& "The Years" is very beautiful though it's not what, usually, I like.

Who copped what from whom? Actually, who cares----this is very good indeed.

I'm listening to the album all the way through. Thanks, Dudders and RR. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 24, 2016, 05:25:40 AM »

Judd mentioned them here in other thread. I said "send me mp3".
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 12:22:29 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 28, 2016, 06:12:39 AM »

"Searchin' for the Perfect Wave" by Surf School Dropouts, kwan_dk's band. Best song from their album "Summer is a state of mind".
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 12:22:01 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 24, 2016, 07:15:22 AM »

Not so much obsessing, more like delving deeply----into the music of k.d. lang. With thanks to SteveMC for pointing the way...

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: July 25, 2016, 04:50:12 PM »

Hoping one of you fine people can help this old lady...

There was a song I would hear now and then back in the 60s. I hadn't heard it since then, until Brian's show on Saturday, where it was one of the songs on the pre-show tape. I'm obsessing about it simply because I haven't found out who sang that song, which is presently a constant earworm and as such is driving me batty. Would like to go back to having Beach Boys or Beatles classics playing in my mental jukebox.

The song is very simple. It mentions a bluebird. I can put the notes, simplifying the melody. If I put AAA that means the A note is 3 beats etc. A 'low' before letter indicates note below middle C.

Verse:
D C D C, D CC, D lowA lowB, D lowAA B / repeat

Chorus: no words, just bah bah bah etc

DDD, DD lowB DDD, D lowB D F# DDD, lowB D EEEE GGGG AAAAAAAA

Hope this makes sense, am not indicating eighth notes, dotted notes etc. also this is in my head, not having access to a keyboard.

Thanks in advance.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 25, 2016, 05:26:41 PM »

Eternity's Children "Mrs. Bluebird"?

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 25, 2016, 05:47:48 PM »

YES. That's it!

"Spasibo", RR1!

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 25, 2016, 08:17:32 PM »

I'm quite into "Saint Simon" by the Shins
"Angels" by Chance the Rapper
"Want Remover" by Protomartyr
and the new Wilco song, "If I Ever Was a Child"

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 14, 2016, 04:54:24 PM »

and the new Wilco song, "If I Ever Was a Child"

Drats. I came here to say this song, but it looks like i was already obsessing over it.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 18, 2016, 12:59:46 AM »

Ella Fitzgerald - A-Tisket, A-Tasket. This cutie has cool taste in music, look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxDwblguiFE

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 18, 2016, 03:53:11 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJgsCO_qK9o

Willie, Waylon, John and Kris......... like the picture says  Roll Eyes

Whiskey in the jar!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:56:04 AM by bringahorseinhere? » Logged
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 19, 2016, 06:13:59 AM »

Over the moon today to discover this lovely gem from Barry Gibb is being released as a bonus track on his new solo album.

This song is beyond gorgeous ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOFq767GLRQ

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 23, 2016, 05:49:01 PM »

American spring - Everybody (big favorite; Diane's voice fits this fun type of song. Marilyn's couldn't work imo).

Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 24, 2016, 06:50:19 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6no9DKxJhW0

Nick Lowe's Cruel to be kind at Daryl's house with the late T Bone Wolk.

Love, love love this. I have the intro as my ring tone. I love being driven to distraction and back with a good choon ... Cheesy

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx