gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 06:21:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs you are obsessing over.  (Read 197846 times)
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 24, 2016, 10:56:20 AM »

"Instant Disassembly" - Parquet Courts

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 25, 2016, 06:59:43 AM »

Today watch: Eurovision song contest of various years' winners. Favorites are:
 - Dana "All Kinds of Everything"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awhQjT14cdA  (btw, same year Mary Hopkin sang "Knock Knock (Who's There)", she got 2nd place)
- Swedish brother trio Herreys "Diggi Loo Diggi Ley"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-RRXHG00GY  (some notes: I heard this song 1st around 10 yrs ago; I had no instrument when going to music school, so I had to go to play the piano at the local kindergarten after kids go home. There I also did homework & would roam about to see what is there in the music room. There was an old record player at display, then I saw a little room in the room with stashes of vinyls. I took some & paid attention to this unknown band Herreys. In the back was a little info on them. I played it; 1st song was Diggi Loo, but English version which is slightly different arr. Same 80s sound but I find the song very catchy! But the Swedish version is good - I mean the studio version, not the live in Eurovision. I like the dance moves, though)
- France Gall "Poupee De Cire, Poupee De Son"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5aeeSmkPwQ  (I like the song enough to ignore the French. I don't even care that she sings *really* out of tune. It's a no-no for me usually, it shouldn't have won but the song - arr., melody - is solid)

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 28, 2016, 11:03:02 AM »

"Obvious Bicycle" - Vampire Weekend.

The way Ezra sings "don't wait," the ever-so-delicately played piano, and the overall simplicity of the song (which I realized today reminds me a bit of Carrie and Lowell) are just a few reasons why I love this song. And this album.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 01, 2016, 12:04:01 PM »

I've listened to "Walk Right Back" about 11 times and I've only been awake for 3 hours.
Working on #12 right now. Would be higher if it wasn't for that whole, pesky school thing.

Oh my goodness I found Alex Chilton and Teenage Fanclub doing a cover of the song together
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 04, 2016, 09:07:20 PM »

I've been digging some A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q lately...

Also Life of Pablo is on Spotify now...

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 08, 2016, 10:40:19 AM »

The Nerves' "Hanging on the Telephone" is a great slice of obscure power pop made un-obscure by Blondie.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 09, 2016, 02:57:14 AM »

I've been digging some A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q lately...

Also Life of Pablo is on Spotify now...

I know ScHoolboy Q from "White Walls" from The Heist by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. (The is generally when people start pointing and tittering, as if Macklemore isn't a bona fide rapper or something.) Actually M. is just about my one concession to the world of rap, probably because he's got production wizard Ryan Lewis in tow. What a great album!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbYFcsd026I 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 11, 2016, 05:36:52 AM »

Peppermint Trolley Company - Trust. It's interesting that the 1st chorus is played & the 2nd chorus is sung & played. I like the harpsichord intro/riff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHTNtvngyd8

Besides, guitarfool mentioned in old thread Whistling Jack Smith "I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman"; it made me curious, go to youtube & love it! I'm a big fan of whistling in songs! 3D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 11, 2016, 05:51:04 AM »

Peppermint Trolley Company - Trust. It's interesting that the 1st chorus is played & the 2nd chorus is sung & played. I like the harpsichord intro/riff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHTNtvngyd8

Besides, guitarfool mentioned in old thread Whistling Jack Smith "I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman"; it made me curious, go to youtube & love it! I'm a big fan of whistling in songs! 3D

RR, do you know this one, also from way back?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3ZdBVAWWNo

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 22, 2016, 08:59:28 AM »

The Screamers.

oh what a show one-hundred and twenty-two hours of fear
KDS
« Reply #360 on: April 22, 2016, 11:55:06 AM »

I have no idea why, but lately, The Boxer by Simon and Garfunkel has been living in my brain. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 23, 2016, 12:24:30 AM »

RR, do you know this one, also from way back?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3ZdBVAWWNo
Thanks, this is new to me. I checked several other songs and they're very nice.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 23, 2016, 02:30:16 PM »

I have no idea why, but lately, The Boxer by Simon and Garfunkel has been living in my brain. 
You don't need a reason. It's simply a great song.

KDS
« Reply #363 on: April 25, 2016, 08:52:26 AM »

You don't need a reason. It's simply a great song.

True. 

I keep hearing people say how great the Disturbed version of Sound of Silence is.  I think that had me on a S&G kick briefly. 

I'm actually a fan of Disturbed, but I think their version of Sound of Silence is absolutely horrid. 
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 25, 2016, 08:55:28 AM »

One More Reason by Marshall Crenshaw from the Field Day Album.  I love that album!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR_9qzwzBcs
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 25, 2016, 09:00:15 AM »

One More Reason by Marshall Crenshaw from the Field Day Album.  I love that album!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR_9qzwzBcs

Hey, I was listening to that album just today! Haven't got to know it as well as the debut (which is great, needless to say), but Our Town is a fantastic song. Must check out some of his later stuff...

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 25, 2016, 11:11:29 AM »

"Gooey" and "Black Mambo" by Glass Animals.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 01, 2016, 10:55:04 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ7hdF7Xyns

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 01, 2016, 12:44:03 PM »

Is the rest of Lonerism this good, u-m? If so, I'll line it up for future listening...

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 01, 2016, 12:53:46 PM »

Is the rest of Lonerism this good, u-m? If so, I'll line it up for future listening...
I've listened to that album about 5 times in the past 2 days. Does that tell you anything?

"Mind Mischief" is my favorite song off of that album, I think. "Keep On Lying" always gets stuck in my head.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 01, 2016, 12:58:59 PM »

"Feels Like We Only Go Backwards" is obviously the best song on that album.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 01, 2016, 03:44:33 PM »

Why does your username keep changing.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 01, 2016, 03:48:00 PM »

i have a restless spirit
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 06, 2016, 09:03:18 PM »

Blue Boy - Mac Demarcoooooo
Gosh - Jamie xx
Keep On Lying - Tame Impala
Lasso - Phoenix

Hey this list gives me an idea. Anyone up for like a playlist thread? Like sometimes I want to just suggests whole lists of albums, or a list of songs that fit the weather, or a party playlist. Or maybe your Bubs and you suggest songs in a visual grid.
It also seems like some members are open/wanting to find ways to listen to more/new music, and playlists are a good start to that. Plus we could link whatever Spotify/8tracks/YouTube lists so that we don't have to link every song like I just did. I dunno.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 09:08:27 PM by undercover-m » Logged

bluesno1fann
« Reply #374 on: May 14, 2016, 06:49:01 AM »

Has to be this song for me at the moment. What a classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB75exxkjDc
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx