gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 02:35:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs you are obsessing over.  (Read 197798 times)
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 30, 2015, 01:18:48 AM »

They have so many great songs...I've just gotten into them. I own the albums from Sheer Heart Attack to Jazz so far and enjoy them all. And I like the idea that each member writes his own songs and I get to pick my favourite again, just like with The Beatles, The Band or Wu-Tang Clan.
KDS
« Reply #276 on: September 30, 2015, 05:14:26 AM »

They have so many great songs...I've just gotten into them. I own the albums from Sheer Heart Attack to Jazz so far and enjoy them all. And I like the idea that each member writes his own songs and I get to pick my favourite again, just like with The Beatles, The Band or Wu-Tang Clan.

I think Queen was at its best on the first five albums - Queen, Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack, Night at the Opera, and Day at the Races.  

News of the World and Jazz are very good.  

The Game has some great songs.  

Flash Gordon and Hot Space are for completists only.  

The Works and A Kind of Magic are somewhat uneven.

Starting with 1989's The Miracle, Queen started crediting each song to all four of them.  I think they had an inkling that the end was near with Freddie and they didn't want any squabbles.  

I think The Miracle and Innuendo are both really good albums.  

Made in Heaven was pieced together after Freddie died with leftovers from the Innuendo sessions along with some Freddie solo tracks that the band added music too.  
KDS
« Reply #277 on: September 30, 2015, 05:16:27 AM »

I guess I don't even think about "rock" much anymore, and if asked what kind of music I'm most into, I'd most likely say pop. So that certainly makes for an obvious explanation between our positions. As I've aged, my interest in harder music has lessened, though not disappeared.

Makes sense.  I tend to be a little seasonal with my music.  I tend to listen to lighter rock in the warmer months, and harder stuff during the colder months.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 30, 2015, 05:37:39 AM »

I'd say QueenII through the Game are essential. There are highs and lows elsewhere. I don't think any are wholly unlistenable.

I agree that having four writers was a huge benefit. While one creative vision makes for a focused, unified act, multiple inputs makes for diverse listening, even potentially useful creative tension. It usually fizzles or explodes, but I think the benefits tend to outweighs the drawbacks.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #279 on: September 30, 2015, 05:44:46 AM »

I'd say QueenII through the Game are essential. There are highs and lows elsewhere. I don't think any are wholly unlistenable.

I agree that having four writers was a huge benefit. While one creative vision makes for a focused, unified act, multiple inputs makes for diverse listening, even potentially useful creative tension. It usually fizzles or explodes, but I think the benefits tend to outweighs the drawbacks.

I liked how all four brought distinctly different things to the table. 

I agree there are no unlistenable albums - Flash and Hot Space did have their moments. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 06, 2015, 11:47:27 PM »

Recently I heard "She" by Del Shannon - the info said it was almost hit for him but then Monkees took it. I like their version, I've said before that Micky Dolenz is best & favorite singer. however, Del owns it. He sang it with gusto & the 'rap' lines are very cool.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZIDRdABdsM

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 07, 2015, 12:30:49 AM »

Hey Nineteen - Steely Dan
Death with Dignity - Sufjan Stevens
Now That I'm Older - Sufjan Stevens
Don't Get Me Wrong - Rolls Bayce
Paint it Black - The Stones

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
KDS
« Reply #282 on: October 07, 2015, 06:38:13 AM »

Ghost - Majesty

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 07, 2015, 10:27:09 AM »

Recently I heard "She" by Del Shannon - the info said it was almost hit for him but then Monkees took it. I like their version, I've said before that Micky Dolenz is best & favorite singer. however, Del owns it. He sang it with gusto & the 'rap' lines are very cool.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZIDRdABdsM
Del could deliver. I like this.

Funny----even in the earliest days you could tell that he wasn't your average pop star or even your average person. There was something worrying about him from the start. But a great singer and composer.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 07, 2015, 10:32:47 AM »

"Rise Up With Fists" by Jenny Lewis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNxuiTC1e50
I just bought tickets to see her in February, I'm excited!

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: October 08, 2015, 12:47:18 AM »

Funny----even in the earliest days you could tell that he wasn't your average pop star or even your average person. There was something worrying about him from the start. But a great singer and composer.
Listen to record named after him "The Further Adventures of Charles Westover". AllMusic says it's cult favorite. Not many albums called cults. He was great in his niche & remained great during psych era.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 08, 2015, 02:13:33 AM »

Listen to record named after him "The Further Adventures of Charles Westover". AllMusic says it's cult favorite. Not many albums called cults. He was great in his niche & remained great during psych era.

Thanks, RR. I've got it lined up for later.

Actually, Mr Westover and I go back a long way. "Runaway" was the record that opened my eyes to what you could do with pop music----my first and biggest musical revelation. The first 45 I bought was "Hats Off To Larry" and the first album Runaway with Del Shannon.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 09, 2015, 12:07:30 AM »

Actually, Mr Westover and I go back a long way. "Runaway" was the record that opened my eyes to what you could do with pop music----my first and biggest musical revelation. The first 45 I bought was "Hats Off To Larry" and the first album Runaway with Del Shannon.
Max Crook was the pioneer of electronic music as some sites claim. Thing I know is it's very original. I like the "Runaway" soundalikes, esp. "Hey little girl". It has an upbeat chorus. It's very interesting that he'd use Spanish guitar chords as I call it (no guitar player, maybe there's term for it) & sing in a plaintive gypsy-like mood. "Hats off to Larry" is lesser of the bunch but on its own it's good. Look what I found just hrs ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcwM9QaOzU0

Video quality isn't good but you will recognize faces & it's great one-off jam. falsetto intact.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 09, 2015, 02:10:23 AM »

Max Crook was the pioneer of electronic music as some sites claim. Thing I know is it's very original. I like the "Runaway" soundalikes, esp. "Hey little girl". It has an upbeat chorus. It's very interesting that he'd use Spanish guitar chords as I call it (no guitar player, maybe there's term for it) & sing in a plaintive gypsy-like mood. "Hats off to Larry" is lesser of the bunch but on its own it's good. Look what I found just hrs ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcwM9QaOzU0

Video quality isn't good but you will recognize faces & it's great one-off jam. falsetto intact.

That's amazing----and very moving in its way. Thank you for that. Three major hitmakers of the early sixties. Only Johnny T is still with us.

"Hats" has the distinction of featuring Crook's Musitron again. The follow-up, "So Long Baby", which I also bought when it was first released, has the strangest solo-----it sounds like a banshee!   

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 10, 2015, 12:36:08 AM »

The follow-up, "So Long Baby", which I also bought when it was first released, has the strangest solo-----it sounds like a banshee!
If you hit the 2nd "So Long Baby" video, the very 1st comment tells funny story about that solo.
I'm a big fan of yodel so it was great to hear Del doing a little bit of yodelling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn27xBY8X68
It's usually sung fast but just the fact that Del was into it - else why he'd use it, right? - is very cool.

Btw, check out "rockinkb" on YT. He seems to collect Del Shannon, demos 'n' stuff. Among them, original songs by his daughter Jody Westover (who died in 2004) & footage/photos from Del Shannon Museum in Coopersville, MI. Plus, there's an audio of Micky Dolenz' sister Coco doing bluesy cover of Runaway. Micky introduced her to audience.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 11, 2015, 06:02:15 AM »

Lou Reed's Caroline Says II from Berlin. The window pane lyric is just too much.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 11, 2015, 10:40:50 AM »

Lou Reed's Caroline Says II from Berlin. The window pane lyric is just too much.

Great section of a great song on a great album.

For what it's worth--nothing, I realize--I actually hate how he sings that line, though. The vibrato is awkward, has always annoyed me. That says, he was Lou Fucking Reed, and I was (and am) not.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 11, 2015, 08:18:58 PM »

"Po' Boy" by Bob Dylan.

I don't think anyone has ever sung the word "cooking" quite as tenderly.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 12, 2015, 09:36:45 AM »

I've just been listening to a lot of the Guess Who (per the Bread thread), so there's that. "No Time" and "Bus Rider" are fun songs.

Also "All of Me Wants All of You" by Sufjan Stevens, probably my top artist listened to for the past month or two.

And "Sleeping Lessons," by the Shins, because I love the Shins.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 16, 2015, 08:09:15 PM »

Prince's "Baby I'm a Star"

Prince you used to be fucking amazing what happened prince
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 17, 2015, 12:35:30 AM »

"Sabine River" by Ray Bonneville. I never grow tired of this one. Bob Dylan in a swamp.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TVZLB2CEqr8

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 17, 2015, 01:24:24 AM »

Hits and Mrs - Frank Turner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxAcddNPx_Q

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 17, 2015, 06:28:39 AM »

Prince's "Baby I'm a Star"

Prince you used to be fucking amazing what happened prince

He still has his moments (and is the greatest live performer in pop music: if you get a chance to see him live, do it). But without question, the main thing he's been consistent in over the past three decades or so is the increasing inconsistency. His '80s output, though, amazing. Hell, even the first half of the '90s, while derided at the time as lacking, look pretty good in hindsight. I think a lot of the issue is the same as with anyone else whose career spans decades. It just gets stale.

Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 17, 2015, 11:32:08 PM »

I really enjoy Mike Nesmith's music...especially the Nevada Fighter. There are several tunes on it that are terrific
 One is Propinquity, and another is his version of  Nilsson's The Rainmaker.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
celticsurfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 18, 2015, 04:56:13 AM »

Who'll stop the rain and Up round the bend by CCR
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx