gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:55:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A bit crap  (Read 23873 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 03, 2012, 10:48:25 PM »

Someone predicted here that Wirestone would be ecstatic, and cheering wildly, no matter what the setlist is, when he attends  his local tour stop. I imagine he will do a lot of cheering, as I did, but also feel a great amount of frustration and disappointment, as I did (don't mean to put words in your mouth, Wirestone, no offense intended). One reason that the audience expects a more mainstream selection (and didn't seem to respond very well to the rarities) was because they have been conditioned to expect conformity from the band.

It might help you feel better if you keep the setlist in perspective...  The other night at the Greek, they played 45 songs, and nearly half of them -- 21 of the 45 -- weren't hits.  They were B-sides and album tracks, from "Please Let Me Wonder" to "Forever", "Isn't It Time" to "409", "Kiss Me Baby" to "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times", or singles which never touched the Top 40 like "Marcella" and "Sail On Sailor".

There's a lot of songs there which, by most peoples' definition, are deep cuts, and artistically ambitious.  We've been a bit spoiled in recent years, thanks to Brian's band and selected shows from Mike which have delved about this deep before -- to the point where we can take hearing "Disney Girls" and four songs from "Pet Sounds" for granted.  But for a band which could do a 34-song set just of their Top 40 hits... this is an extensive trawl through their catalog.

Basically, the glass is pretty much exactly half full...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Not quite exactly, IMO Jon. They could drop It's O.K.. R&R Music, The Time Has Come (or whatever it's called) and Barbara Ann in favor of 4 more transcendental nuggets. Then I'd be satisfied.

"The Time Has Come"? wat?

Also, come on. You can't tell me the setlists for this tour aren't about a billion times better than most of us hoped for. It appeals to basically any type of fan out there in a significant way, and if you're every kind of fan, well then God damn. You can't please everyone with a setlist, so saying "They should drop this and this and this to make me happy" is kinda goofy.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 03, 2012, 10:52:35 PM »

Preach it, runners!
bcdam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 03, 2012, 11:11:02 PM »

At the Hollywood Bowl last night, I sat in front of 4 guys in Tommy Bahama shirts, who angrily talked over any song that wasn't a hit, and talked over the verses of the hits (singing off key with the Choruses, of course). They loudly pronounced that "Kiss Me Baby" must be a new song during its performance. In order for the tour to be a commercial success, they need to appeal to people like that, unfortunately.

That said, it would have been nice if they threw out Rock N Roll music, which no one in that audience wanted, and gave us another track from Smile.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 03, 2012, 11:14:49 PM »

At the Hollywood Bowl last night, I sat in front of 4 guys in Tommy Bahama shirts, who angrily talked over any song that wasn't a hit, and talked over the verses of the hits (singing off key with the Choruses, of course). They loudly pronounced that "Kiss Me Baby" must be a new song during its performance. In order for the tour to be a commercial success, they need to appeal to people like that, unfortunately.

Ah, my favorite kind of concert-goers. Gotta ruin the show for everyone else around to you have a good time. Arrogant jackoffs with too much money and nothing to do with it who should be kicked out of these shows but never will be. Sad
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 11:16:30 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: June 03, 2012, 11:20:27 PM »

Sounds like the same guys who bring Filet Mignon and wine to the parking lot tailgating festivities at football games.

Either that, or they were radio station weasels who got free tickets.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bcdam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 04, 2012, 12:31:35 AM »

Ah, my favorite kind of concert-goers. Gotta ruin the show for everyone else around to you have a good time. Arrogant jackoffs with too much money and nothing to do with it who should be kicked out of these shows but never will be. Sad

Yeah, the Bowl is more like a movie theater acoustically, so they were drowning out the music. I politely asked them to keep it down, and they said "hey buddy, we're trying to enjoy this show, just like you". I missed out on so many great moments. Why on earth would anyone blow 200-300 bucks to talk through a concert? Next time I'll spring for the VIP seats!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 04, 2012, 01:03:57 AM »

Yeah, the Bowl is more like a movie theater acoustically, so they were drowning out the music. I politely asked them to keep it down, and they said "hey buddy, we're trying to enjoy this show, just like you". I missed out on so many great moments. Why on earth would anyone blow 200-300 bucks to talk through a concert? Next time I'll spring for the VIP seats!

Always the same sh*t. "I'm just trying to have a good time like you." If your good time f*cks with my good time and you're unwilling to stop, you're a complete dick and you shouldn't be here, end of story. Believe it or not, it is possible to have a good time without spilling your beer all over my girlfriend, shouting "FUCK YOU DON'T PLAY ANY NEW SONGS" throughout the show, screaming every five seconds or talking loudly over every song, violently pushing your way to the front during "your song" when I was the one who got here early to make sure I got up front and then grinding your ass against me because you "just gotta dance" (and you've been drinking a lot), etc. etc. etc. etc.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 01:09:45 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx